Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

OK I'm still mad that Toby was right, and once again Brigman is hilariously incapable of drawing people holding things like people hold things, but mainly I don't see why this girl would assume she's already got him in her pocket. He's had a few polite conversations with her.

The design of the pipe, the expression on her face, and the way she holds it makes me think that she's smoking opium even though that's obviously preposterous.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak Comix learns it early.

Huh, surprisingly easy to write children as unsympathetic as long as you're not trying to rationalize a martyr complex.

The Bloop posted:

This post is exceedingly polite and NuOop is total garbage so far

I mean, keep posting it, but it's just terrible

At least it's readable. Every other version of Alley Oop I can remember was completely impenetrable.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

The original expression was "last hired" and is the same word used for lastborn child in a family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

catlord posted:

Also, do you think Holbrook has any idea how gross this storyline is? I feel like he generally has his heart in the right place even if his metaphors are all kinds of hosed, but surely there's no way he could have looked at this and said 'yes, this is a good and heroic thing to do.'
I think he doesn't realize the character can be read as a trans analogue, since he used a predator getting surgery to be an herbivore as that. This is a different thing! I think she's just had plastic surgery to look like a rat. And I think she's from well back in the comic before he tried to do much Social Commentary.

And as we all know, Holbrook never, ever sits back and thinks about the implications of established worldbuilding.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zereth posted:

And as we all know, Holbrook never, ever sits back and thinks about the implications of established worldbuilding.

Holbrook never thinks about the implications of anything. He literally has a thought and then draws it. Any time you start thinking "wait, doesn't that imply-" stop. You've already put way more thought into it than Holbrook did. It's all surface level. Scratch that away and you're left with nothing. There is absolutely no depth, no subtext, no layers. Any time he wants to make an analogy it's right there on the surface, signposted with flashing lights. If he's not being absolutely explicit about it it's not intentional and he wouldn't understand it if you explained it to him.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Man, aren't Finns just the best?

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 17, 2019

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tiggum posted:

Holbrook never thinks about the implications of anything. He literally has a thought and then draws it. Any time you start thinking "wait, doesn't that imply-" stop. You've already put way more thought into it than Holbrook did. It's all surface level. Scratch that away and you're left with nothing. There is absolutely no depth, no subtext, no layers. Any time he wants to make an analogy it's right there on the surface, signposted with flashing lights. If he's not being absolutely explicit about it it's not intentional and he wouldn't understand it if you explained it to him.
Fair enough.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 25, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 25, 1997)

Garfield Classic (June 25, 1987)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Holbrook never thinks about the implications of anything. He literally has a thought and then draws it.
His stuff sucks but to be entirely fair, if I had to deliver three strips every day that's what I'd do.

like it's probably possible to be clever about your shared universe and craft a compelling narrative with consistent metaphors while also keeping a strict schedule but for every comics artist who could pull that off there's gotta be hundreds to whom it's just not given.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

let me guess, they mistake a medical bracelet for bling

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Tina's Groove Classic (June 25, 2007)

The cook is actually right that Lecter was foolish in the movie; the better wine to have with liver is what was mentioned in the book; an amarone.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell The hellworld is also shown to be a pissworld once again. This also feels cruel to the other rabbits in this sanctuary.

DARE YOU ENTER MY ENCHANTED PISS FOREST

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 25, 1997)

"I understand that she can't get double pregnant :huh:"

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mikl posted:

DARE YOU ENTER MY ENCHANTED PISS FOREST

Nobody likes you, Whizzard.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Manuel Calavera posted:

Nobody likes you, Lynn.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Ugh. He does realize that this is a thing, doesn't he?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TofuDiva posted:

Ugh. He does realize that this is a thing, doesn't he?

It's wild to think what this world might be like if Luntz weren't evil.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

A Problem Like Jamal

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

NO

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Jesus Christ

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My heart assumes fake-out, but it would be balls of steel to go through with it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That's a car backfiring right? right?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What newspaper is this printed in?

Not that I'm complaining

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

The Bloop posted:

What newspaper is this printed in?

Not that I'm complaining

I don't think it is, officially, yet. Universal Press uses GoComics as kind of a farm-league system for their syndication arm. The publishers find comics they like, host them on GoComics for a while to expose them to a bigger audience, and then if the response is good, they make the big-league newspaper syndication deal. That's what happened with Wallace, Phoebe, and BCN. Conversely, some poo poo like Pibgorn and Reddick's other comic seems to just languish on GoComics forever.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Oh gently caress

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Geech

Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Haifisch posted:

2012 Spiderman

That fish is going to haunt me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 17, 2019

manero
Jan 30, 2006

:stare:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jesus Christ

(Also that Wallace is really good)

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
:dogbutton:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

RandomPauI posted:

That's a car backfiring right? right?

Wally Winkerbean playing video games in his downtime? :ohdear:

Sally Forth

Skippy (September 4, 1931)

Peanuts (January 20, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (November 9-10, 1931)

Thimble Theater (August 13, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck (April 26-28, 1923)

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I was scrolling down, dreading what I would find in Jamal.

Then I saw that Jamal was spoilered and I started freaking out.

Then I read the comic and now loving gently caress :gonk: :stonk:

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Endless Mike posted:

Jesus Christ

(Also that Wallace is really good)

I was really sad to overshadow one of my favorite Wallace strips with that Jamal. Maybe I should have posted them separately.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Vargo posted:

A Problem Like Jamal

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vargo posted:

I was really sad to overshadow one of my favorite Wallace strips with that Jamal. Maybe I should have posted them separately.

It really is a great strip

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Really wanna see this version of Die Hard where a 53-year-old Frank Sinatra goes crawling through elevator shafts and rappelling down the side of a building. (Yes, I realize that Tom Cruise still does his own stunts at age 50. But Sinatra has always just been OLD to me. Like, even when he was young, he was old.)

Bruce Willis was 33 when Die Hard was made.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

That Lottie and Claire panel is delightful.

Also, Jesus Christ, The Problem With Jamal pulls no punches.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Produced by Lawrence Gordon and Joel Silver, the film is based on Roderick Thorp's 1979 novel Nothing Lasts Forever, the sequel to 1966's The Detective. The novel was adapted into a 1968 film of the same name starring Frank Sinatra and was a box-office success. When a movie based on Thorp's sequel went into production, the studio was contractually obligated to offer Frank Sinatra the lead role in Die Hard.[7] Sinatra, then in his early 70s, turned down the project.[7] The story was then changed to have no connection to The Detective.[7] '

Why would Ripley's subtly mislead me while remaining neatly within the realm of truth?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Really wanna see this version of Die Hard where a 53-year-old Frank Sinatra goes crawling through elevator shafts and rappelling down the side of a building. (Yes, I realize that Tom Cruise still does his own stunts at age 50. But Sinatra has always just been OLD to me. Like, even when he was young, he was old.)

Bruce Willis was 33 when Die Hard was made.

On the other hand, the later Charles Bronson movies.
For more details, it was originally a sequel to a movie he did in 1966 so it was more of a contractual thing than a serious thing. For serious casting they asked Arnold Schwarzenegger, Richard Gere, Clint Eastwood, Burt Reynolds, Sylvester Stallone, Harrison Ford, Don Johnson, Nick Nolte, Mel Gibson and Richard Dean Anderson.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

duz posted:

Richard Dean Anderson.

At first I read this as Harry Dean Stanton and was overcome with what might have been.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tiggum posted:

Safe Havens

Better than the original.

Vargo posted:

I actually think I enjoyed the Wallace more. Just because it was funny and that's usually what I look for in comic strips. I really like Jamal but it's a different thing.

F Minus

Macanudo

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

*For the Ghost Who Flies a Helicopter

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Goddammit Carl!

Apartment 3-G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Johnny Walker posted:

The Phantom

*For the Ghost Who Flies a Helicopter

how many loving aircraft is he rated for? for someone who wants to protect their identity he must be on so many databases