Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Woof all this hard making GBS threads on Matt in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Grouchio posted:

Woof all this hard making GBS threads on Matt in this thread.

I mean, he's definitely going through some growing pains for his channel so I don't hold any of it against him. He's doing the most "not-SBF" style content of everyone so its only reasonable some of it will not click it.

plus Edgelords is life

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Yeah I'm enjoying Matt's foray into deeper dives, he isn't quite where he needs to be (yet) but honestly I think he's on the way, he's gonna have some bumps and bruises but he's got connections and people who have been at that kind of stuff longer than him who can help him out.

It might be worth figuring out what to cut and focus in on and improve, though, I feel like he's got a ton of different angles he's working to find one he can focus on and really enjoy.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The pacing of Woolie's 7th Stand User LP is like KOTOR but 20 times slower.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Monathin posted:

Yeah I'm enjoying Matt's foray into deeper dives, he isn't quite where he needs to be (yet) but honestly I think he's on the way, he's gonna have some bumps and bruises but he's got connections and people who have been at that kind of stuff longer than him who can help him out.

It might be worth figuring out what to cut and focus in on and improve, though, I feel like he's got a ton of different angles he's working to find one he can focus on and really enjoy.

Matt will figure it out.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Roth posted:

The pacing of Woolie's 7th Stand User LP is like KOTOR but 20 times slower.

It's taken an hour to get through 15ish minutes of mostly text gameplay.

At this point I'm just going to consider this a JoJo podcast with bonus gameplay sometimes.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Krazyface posted:

Matt will figure it out.

:yeah:

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
I feel kind of weird seeing a lot of criticism of Matt here... but then I kind of feel the same. I followed his channel for a while and was kind of bored with it so I unsubscribed. Then he talked about his Prince of Persia stuff on the podcast and how everyone including the PoP creator loved the videos apparently so I watched them..... and just kind of felt unimpressed and entertainer by them. When Matt tries to do serious commentary I don't feel too interested... and then any jokes and silliness he does somehow seems really stale and fake. Maybe it's overproduced or something, I don't know.

I always liked when he would just hype out bad over something or be completely silly. He seems to be aiming to be a different person/character on a lot of his own channel's stuff though. (I also have to mention I only watched at most half of his stuff for a brief while so I may be completely wrong about the overall content) But I even remember watching some Wii Remember videos of his, and feeling like he was playing and talking about completely different games than I had played in some cases.

If he supposedly did want to focus on produced content and not just LP's like the "friend on reddit" said.... he definitely needs to find a way into his stride. At the same time I kind of feel like he doesn't really have much to worry about as he has a rabid fanbase that will eat up and love most anything he does (as do most big youtubers).

But speaking of him being hype being entertaining... I just hope him talking about stuff he's excited about doesn't translate into mostly just his favorite Netflix stuff as he often did on the podcast. Terrace House talk from him got a bit old after 5 minutes, and I think I had to skip when he started praising how wonderful Jersey Shore was on a later one. This also reminds me of the spoiler talk on the last 2 pages. Matt always was a bit annoying to listen to when he talked about movies in his "week" section of the podcast. It always felt like 50 minutes of vague hinting around and not saying much.

I really hope he figures things out. I like all the best friends, but his content has felt really stale and I hope he can improve. I guess maybe it's not possible now that he doesn't have the SBF channel running in the background, but maybe he needs to take another one of his big long vacations for a while again. Rest up, recharge, and get some of his former passion and feeling back.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I think the big thing for Matt is that he didnt just jump back into the same old content that Pat and Woolie did. Hes kinda toyed around with his solo stuff but now is where rubber meets the road. Luckily, hes got a lot of talent around him to grow with. For better or worse, Woolie and Pat both just went back to their mill and are just refining the wheel.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah I don't want him to do solo LPs. That NMH2 thing he did on his channel by himself is probably the most miserable content I've seen from any of them.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
tbf, solo lps from anyone are loving awful

the only good solo LPer I know is supergreatfriend

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Woolie's stuff is cool but he's very down on himself lately, I hope he figures that out too. He seems to be more proactively shutting down stuff that bothers him too, so that's good.

I don't mind Matt's longer videos, but yeah, he still needs to find his voice as a long-form critic/writer, especially when delivering his scripts. I like him better doing that than doing LPs, so I hope he sticks with those, honestly.

pat please stop playing wrpgs i beg you

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Many A True Nerd can be hit or miss, but his solo stuff like his Stellaris playthroughs, while he has the consistency of getting poo poo wrong that sbf does or worse, can be surprisingly entertaining. Plus he cuts out grinding or miscellaneous UI poo poo, etc, and the videos are still quite long. He's fairly good at hyping up relatively mundane scenarios, too. Though I absolutely could not watch him play FTL, once you get to a certain point it's impossible to tolerate watching someone play that game badly

Liam's stuff is decent most of the time for solo content too, he interacts with chat on his stream(but does not read out donations most of the time) and he just did a full playthrough of World of Light in Smash ultimate on the hardest difficulty and got all the spirits (mostly offscreen), it was fun seeing certain fights on hard mode like The Boss, though unfortunately those super fights tend to eventually end with the AI accidentally self-destructing anticlimactically

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dias posted:

pat please stop playing wrpgs i beg you

I get the impression what Pat actually plays is secondary to cat/girlfriend hijinks

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I enjoyed Matt and his wife playing Friday the 13th. That'd be something kinda fun for them to go back to.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I enjoyed Matt and his wife playing Friday the 13th. That'd be something kinda fun for them to go back to.

matt def needs to lean on his wife more, she brings out the best in him and their interactions are charming

I forget what game it was but there was a time she was trying to coach him through getting his character laid and it was great

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I wish Woolie and Pat made it more clear when there is someone with them in the videos so I know which ones I should bother with

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

matt def needs to lean on his wife more, she brings out the best in him and their interactions are charming

I forget what game it was but there was a time she was trying to coach him through getting his character laid and it was great

They did Dream Daddy (I think) and Super Seducer 2 which were both amazing streams. Matt really feeds well off someone who has a big personality like Pat or Crymtina. He and Liam are good chill streams but someone that gets him hype like them are the best Matt.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Matt is doing a surprise MK11 stream right now btw

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Matt is doing a surprise MK11 stream right now btw

And MK11 has been delayed for thirty minutes, so now Matt is gonna tell us dumb MK lore for those thirty minutes to fill in time.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

And MK11 has been delayed for thirty minutes, so now Matt is gonna tell us dumb MK lore for those thirty minutes to fill in time.

I tuned into massive Scorpion honkers so it seems like this reveal stream was catered towards Matt.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

So, Liam and Pat aren't streaming it. Matt is streaming it. Woolie is
https://twitter.com/WoolieWoolz/status/1085974040118943745

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Lmao gently caress yeah Woolie GET IT

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Did Woolie remove half of his dreads? :gonk:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

They're pulled back my man

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I've kinda fallen off them all hard. Stream VODs just aren't the same as LPs, and nothing they're playing is really catching my eye.

Although on the flip side I've been watching the VODs of Vinny's Mother 3 playthrough as a result of my friends dragging me into watching his streams.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

please watch Woolie's Katamari videos.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh right, I was thinking about watching those. I'll be sure to check them out since I need some stuff to watch this weekend.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Yeah Woolie seems like the only one who's gonna be putting out worthwhile content still. I ragged on Matt's channel earlier but Pat's streams are absolutely dire.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

like I legitimately think those Katamari videos are some of the best LP stuff Woolie's been involved with.

he's just so loving happy the whole time and any lull in the commentary coincides with Reggie bringing up some story about the game's development, or some heartwarming backstory about the musician who composed the song that's currently playing, or whatever, and it's fantastic.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Did the Reggie guy work on it? If so then I'm going to have to make some time for this one.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

No, he's just grabbing facts from elsewhere, it's probably information that's all been available for a while if you're diligent but it's nice to just have it in this format where neither me nor Woolie knows about it so it's fascinating to hear and also to see Woolie's reactions to it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I gotta admit I was unsure if I thought woolie and pat alone would be a good longform podcast but.man they really killed it this week

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Makes sense since there's no longer a bummer killjoy in the room who doesn't want to be there and they can just do whatever they want now

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Or, in a less aggressive tone jfc, they've already got about 50 episodes of just the two of them doing the podcast over the years anyway.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

Oxyclean posted:

I've kinda fallen off them all hard. Stream VODs just aren't the same as LPs, and nothing they're playing is really catching my eye.

Although on the flip side I've been watching the VODs of Vinny's Mother 3 playthrough as a result of my friends dragging me into watching his streams.

You've just summed up my total experience since the group breakup, including watching a lot of Vinesauce stuff.

While listening to the most recent episode of the new podcast, I realized somewhere in the middle of Pat's hour-long diatribe about RE2 zombie game mechanics that the games were always secondary to the group dynamics, and the best parts of the podcast were always weird personal tangents or things like "what would the most unbeatable Stand power be?". I didn't actually like listening to Pat describe in painful detail what the next FFXIV/Warframe/Monster Hunter update was, or hearing Matt go on forever about some random Netflix series. It's like the video games were just an excuse to hang out, like old guys that go play basketball together after work - the game is incidental, it's mostly about hanging out.

Definitely going to check out Woolie/Reggie playing Katamari, though. That just sounds like the feel-good experience of the year already. drat, that's a good game.

(hey i know ive been super negative and critical throughout this thread and last, sorry if its brought anyone down)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

HoboTech posted:

You've just summed up my total experience since the group breakup, including watching a lot of Vinesauce stuff.

While listening to the most recent episode of the new podcast, I realized somewhere in the middle of Pat's hour-long diatribe about RE2 zombie game mechanics that the games were always secondary to the group dynamics, and the best parts of the podcast were always weird personal tangents or things like "what would the most unbeatable Stand power be?". I didn't actually like listening to Pat describe in painful detail what the next FFXIV/Warframe/Monster Hunter update was, or hearing Matt go on forever about some random Netflix series. It's like the video games were just an excuse to hang out, like old guys that go play basketball together after work - the game is incidental, it's mostly about hanging out.

Definitely going to check out Woolie/Reggie playing Katamari, though. That just sounds like the feel-good experience of the year already. drat, that's a good game.

(hey i know ive been super negative and critical throughout this thread and last, sorry if its brought anyone down)

See I am the other way around, I actually like hearing Pat nerd out about stuff because his perspective is always very different from mine and I like hearing different opinions

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean hearing him analyze stuff can be fun, but man he wasn't wrong to try and tone down the stuff about Monster Hunter, FFXIV, and Warframe because I just do not even give a single gently caress (and I like Monster Hunter).

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Phantasium posted:

please watch Woolie's Katamari videos.

:yeah:

They're super great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The only one I've soured on is Pat. The rest still do good stuff, but to me Pat has always just been the unpleasant one that's occasionally funny.