Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

By popular demand posted:

:smuggo:pfft look at those silly Christians, can't even remember which parts of their spiritual world is scripture and which parts just glomed on through the centuries.

I am a Christian. :v:

Nothing depresses me more about the state of the world than the state of the religion I believe in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Burkion posted:

(Now tell them about how the Devil and Satan may not be the same guy)

The idea of either as a physical personification is only slightly more biblical. Just like the idea of Hell being a physical place of pain and suffering, or any place at all, really. Revelation strikes again...

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Cythereal posted:

I am a Christian. :v:

Nothing depresses me more about the state of the world than the state of the religion I believe in.

:dawkins101::hf::( I'm very unhappy about what the Jewish State is doing in my name.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Azathoth posted:

The whole "fallen angel" conception of Lucifer is mostly extrabiblical. The only time the word appears in the Bible is when the author of Isaiah is talking poo poo about the King of Babylon. It comes mostly from medieval readings of Revelation that only persist today in crazyass fundamentalist circles. That is to say the idea of Lucifer as a fallen angel is about as biblical as the Rapture.

I think some versions also have that word used to describe Christ in Revelation. Lucifer means light bringer, that's it. Sometimes it's used to talk about someone being fancy and special, sometimes it means the planet Venus. I don't think it's ever used as a proper noun in the bible.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I thought Lucifer lost the ability to assume a fair shape after Eru cast Numenor into the sea.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Everyone just needs to read The Sandman graphic novels.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think some versions also have that word used to describe Christ in Revelation. Lucifer means light bringer, that's it. Sometimes it's used to talk about someone being fancy and special, sometimes it means the planet Venus. I don't think it's ever used as a proper noun in the bible.

Depends on how strict you want to be about the definition of "versions", but yeah. The description of God as a source of illumination is a pretty common poetic appellation.

The interpretation of it as a proper noun requires a lot of unlikely leaps, and is pretty much just starting with the conclusion that there is a literal fallen angel named Lucifer, then working backwards to try to make a few disparate pieces of evidence fit.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Alterian posted:

Everyone just needs to read The Sandman graphic novels.

drat straight, the TV adaptation sucked all the good stuff out and spat it.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Azathoth posted:

That is to say the idea of Lucifer as a fallen angel is about as biblical as the Rapture.

1) username/post lol
2) what do you mean Rapture isn't biblical, Debbie Harry is a gift from God

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Proteus Jones posted:

Wasn't the whole thing that the original sculptor made Sexy Lucifer and they said "too sexy", they hired his brother to do it and he made it even sexier?

it's like they say - you know he had to do it to em.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1pzUc_FKZI&t=34s

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Los Angeles is getting more rain in this one storm than was received in the 2017–2018 season.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I thought the whole thing is that evil is seductive so Lucifer is sexy. Its suppose to make you think.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You're not supposed to think about getting dicked by Lucifer when praying.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Samuringa posted:

Concerning if true.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Samuringa posted:

Oh you saw Devil's Advocate too huh

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Slippery posted:

Oh you saw Devil's Advocate too huh

Cursed movie because Keanu Reeves tries to speak southern...

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1085674914697408512

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Congratulations on getting a date OP.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Feels good, man.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Rowdy Tourist Family Currently Carving a Trail of Destruction Through New Zealand

Larch
Dec 20, 2004

BEE LOVER

Azathoth posted:

The whole "fallen angel" conception of Lucifer is mostly extrabiblical. The only time the word appears in the Bible is when the author of Isaiah is talking poo poo about the King of Babylon. It comes mostly from medieval readings of Revelation that only persist today in crazyass fundamentalist circles. That is to say the idea of Lucifer as a fallen angel is about as biblical as the Rapture.

There's a lot more to the mythological background of the Bible than just the Bible itself.

I mean, I'm a Buddhist so I don't give a drat about these fairy tales but you can't just say ,"the Bible only says this about Lucifer and so that's all there is, the rest is fan fiction".

That's a silly perspective.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Larch posted:

There's a lot more to the mythological background of the Bible than just the Bible itself.

I mean, I'm a Buddhist so I don't give a drat about these fairy tales but you can't just say ,"the Bible only says this about Lucifer and so that's all there is, the rest is fan fiction".

That's a silly perspective.

You absolutely can. That's the view of Protestants, who view the Bible as the only document directly inspired by God and ignore everything else (in theory). We call this principle Sola Scriptura, that only the Bible is the authentic word of God and should be the only basis for Christianity.

This view is not shared by Catholics or Orthodox, and even Protestants apply it to varying degrees depending on denomination, but only caring about the Bible and ignoring everything else is absolutely believed by millions of people (including me).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Littering is a fineable offence in New Zealand as well as heavily culturally frowned upon.

Fascinating.

Thanks for informing us.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cythereal posted:

You absolutely can. That's the view of Protestants, who view the Bible as the only document directly inspired by God and ignore everything else (in theory). We call this principle Sola Scriptura, that only the Bible is the authentic word of God and should be the only basis for Christianity.

This view is not shared by Catholics or Orthodox, and even Protestants apply it to varying degrees depending on denomination, but only caring about the Bible and ignoring everything else is absolutely believed by millions of people (including me).

Everyone keeps some tradition.

Why is Sunday the Lᴏʀᴅ’s day?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Platystemon posted:

Everyone keeps some tradition.

I agree, but tradition holds no authority over the Bible or my beliefs and has no innate purpose or spiritual value.

In the actual religion thread over in A/T, when I first started posting there years ago as perhaps the first Evangelical (very socially and theologically liberal Evangelical, I hate the right wing), that was one of the hardest ideas to get across to people raised in other religious traditions, that Protestants see all that tradition and theology that's not in the Bible and say that's nice and if it means something to you go nuts, but it has no spiritual meaning in and of itself.

This isn't the right thread to discuss all that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
PSA: Please do not put wasp nests in your vagina

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
:getin:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cythereal posted:

I agree, but tradition holds no authority over the Bible or my beliefs and has no innate purpose or spiritual value.

In the actual religion thread over in A/T, when I first started posting there years ago as perhaps the first Evangelical (very socially and theologically liberal Evangelical, I hate the right wing), that was one of the hardest ideas to get across to people raised in other religious traditions, that Protestants see all that tradition and theology that's not in the Bible and say that's nice and if it means something to you go nuts, but it has no spiritual meaning in and of itself.

This isn't the right thread to discuss all that.
Do you have a link to any parts where you talk about Apocrypha, Deuterocanonical texts, different translations etc?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

:randstare:

:randno:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

quote:

"This is a dangerous practice with real potential to harm," Gunter wrote. "Here’s a pro-tip: If something burns when you apply it to the vagina, it is generally bad for the vagina."

Well there goes any chance of me getting lucky:flaccid:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Splicer posted:

Do you have a link to any parts where you talk about Apocrypha, Deuterocanonical texts, different translations etc?

No, because my response is simply "I don't give a poo poo and I'm confused that you think I would." A core part of Evangelical belief is that it ultimately comes down to your one on one relationship with God, not the fine details of what you may or may not believe.

I see the Apocrypha, Deuterocanonical texts, etc and shrug. They're completely irrelevant to me.

Cythereal has a new favorite as of 15:36 on Jan 18, 2019

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It makes sense, the wasps keep out other, more harmful insects

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Phlegmish posted:

It makes sense, the wasps keep out other, more harmful insects

Like centipedes?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Dagen H posted:

Like centipedes?

Those aren't insects, right?
Still though, heh

Fat shark :3:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The most dangerous game of 'fat or pregnant'.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Cartoon Man posted:

Cursed movie because Keanu Reeves tries to speak southern...

I enjoy that 'faking a Southern accent' is apparently above 'seriously considers hooking it up with his sister' on your list of things that are cursed :)

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The most dangerous game of 'fat or pregnant'.

oh god I've been waiting so long to do this and I just have to get it out of my system so please ignore the below

speaking of, how IS your mom doing these days

oh man I feel SO MUCH better for having got that out. Next I gotta find a 69 to nice and I will be 100% ready for the weekend

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Slippery posted:

oh god I've been waiting so long to do this and I just have to get it out of my system so please ignore the below

speaking of, how IS your mom doing these days

oh man I feel SO MUCH better for having got that out. Next I gotta find a 69 to nice and I will be 100% ready for the weekend

I believe you'll find it's pronounced "nóice"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Platystemon posted:

Why is Sunday the Lᴏʀᴅ’s day?

Constantine gave everybody in the Roman Empire Sundays off.