Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

loquacius posted:

gotchoo fam

As a followup, I actually remember the exact circumstances that explained Smith's line of thinking in this one, if anyone's curious: there were a nonzero number of people who hated their jobs but were keeping them because they needed the health insurance. After Obamacare, those people could finally quit and move on with their lives. The GOP, of course, interpreted this as those people having been fired (forever) because their bosses could no longer afford to pay their health insurance. Someone tried to explain to Rob Smith Jr what really happened and he found this completely incomprehensible because why would you choose to not work when you could receive millions of dollars in salary, 3 months of paid vacation, and an annual $10,000 bonus??? (The idea that the vast, vast majority of jobs offer none of these things did not occur to him)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a story reason for why Dildobert dropped the tie and is now dressed as late 90s hipster from some tech startup?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lodin posted:

Is there a story reason for why Dildobert dropped the tie and is now dressed as late 90s hipster from some tech startup?

Engineers don't wear ties anymore

In techworld if you see someone in a tie it means they're at their first ever tech job interview

In-story I dunno but I'd guess someone pointed this out to Adams and he went "huh, I guess" and did a one-off strip where pointy-haired boss said "ok no more ties" and that was it (y'know, the laziest possible option)

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

loquacius posted:

In techworld if you see someone in a tie it means they're at their first ever tech job interview

In-story I dunno but I'd guess someone pointed this out to Adams and he went "huh, I guess" and did a one-off strip where pointy-haired boss said "ok no more ties" and that was it (y'know, the laziest possible option)

One of my children is up for a job at IBM in CompSci. I sent him this pic:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

loquacius posted:

As a followup, I actually remember the exact circumstances that explained Smith's line of thinking in this one, if anyone's curious: there were a nonzero number of people who hated their jobs but were keeping them because they needed the health insurance. After Obamacare, those people could finally quit and move on with their lives. The GOP, of course, interpreted this as those people having been fired (forever) because their bosses could no longer afford to pay their health insurance. Someone tried to explain to Rob Smith Jr what really happened and he found this completely incomprehensible because why would you choose to not work when you could receive millions of dollars in salary, 3 months of paid vacation, and an annual $10,000 bonus??? (The idea that the vast, vast majority of jobs offer none of these things did not occur to him)

Eric Allie had a particularly idiotic take about this at the time.

"Don't enjoy working a lousy job to keep your health insurance? You're a pussy." - dude who doodles Michael Madigan as various movie villains for a "living"

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
:ironicat:

I would be hard pressed to come up with a more accurate description of Dilbert than, "Empty vessel for transporting sarcasm."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

loquacius posted:

I don't think most places wear ties anymore TBH.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

Yeah AFAICT it's just the 2019-flavored equivalent of the old standard "BE A REAL MANLY MAN WITH OUR RAZORS" ad campaign, and calling for responsible behavior is great but I dunno why we're looking to razor companies for social guidance other than that the Shadowrun hellworld is already in full swing

Behind every woke brand is a smoke-filled room full of Don Drapers gleefully accepting your woke money

As I said in another thread, someone at Gillette had to convince their board of directors that making GBS threads on their own company history in order to position themselves as "not a lovely Man's Company corp" would be a good move, when that's been the brand identity for decades. There are angry meetings and threats of firings/resignations behind that ad and it got made anyway. I watched it and felt grateful that my dad raised me the way he did, which is about as good as an ad can be.

Any beard products company that moves away from that loving identity is a good one and forcing the issue to be talked about is a good thing.

E: plus it's flushed a bunch of sex creeps out of hiding and that's a plus

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Somfin posted:

As I said in another thread, someone at Gillette had to convince their board of directors that making GBS threads on their own company history in order to position themselves as "not a lovely Man's Company corp" would be a good move, when that's been the brand identity for decades. There are angry meetings and threats of firings/resignations behind that ad and it got made anyway.

I don't believe this for a second though

It wouldn't have gotten greenlit with money spent on it if there weren't numbers and focus-group studies promising a big return on investment. It is a marketing campaign, designed to raise sales. If it did not fulfill this purpose, it would not have been given the OK to air, because corporations are not benevolent social actors just trying to make some positive change in the world.

They did some studies on what would make them the most money and determined this would be worth any perceived risk with the chud set, and once those stodgy businessmen saw those numbers, they fell in line, because they want money; this is the primary differentiating factor and main motivation of the kind of person who would be an executive at any corporation.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

loquacius posted:

I don't believe this for a second though

It wouldn't have gotten greenlit with money spent on it if there weren't numbers and focus-group studies promising a big return on investment. It is a marketing campaign, designed to raise sales. If it did not fulfill this purpose, it would not have been given the OK to air, because corporations are not benevolent social actors just trying to make some positive change in the world.

They did some studies on what would make them the most money and determined this would be worth any perceived risk with the chud set, and once those stodgy businessmen saw those numbers, they fell in line, because they want money; this is the primary differentiating factor and main motivation of the kind of person who would be an executive at any corporation.

This is unfair. Companies gamble on ads and political positions all the time and end up burnt as a result. Despite focus groups and highly paid marketing galaxy brains.

Gillette gambled on a risky progressive one which is to their credit.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Theresa May survives vote, but Britain remains in Brexit deadlock - Prime minister invites party leaders to discuss alternative deal but sticks to red lines

Guardian:

"She's alive! Steve Bell on Theresa May's Brexit defeat – Can the prime minister return to business as usual after a bruising loss in the Commons over her EU withdrawal agreement?"

Telegraph:

Matt:

Independent:

Times:

Labour MPs declare support for second Brexit referendum

Evening Standard:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Katt posted:

This is unfair. Companies gamble on ads and political positions all the time and end up burnt as a result. Despite focus groups and highly paid marketing galaxy brains.

Gillette gambled on a risky progressive one which is to their credit.

Any time anyone spends money on anything it's a gamble, sure. But at the end of the day the goal of every marketing campaign is to raise money, and this one was calculated to raise money from people like us at the cost of raising less money from people like Mike Lester, and the people making it were reasonably sure it would work, or they wouldn't have done it, because they are marketing executives at a corporation. If you think they made this ad after much internal turmoil because they wanted to make the world a better place (which is what Somfin said) you're fooling yourself.

I'm just saying if you see an ad with a social message you like and think "wow, that sure was nice of that corporation to selflessly spend their ad money on an ad that appeals to me" the ad is working as intended.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

loquacius posted:

It looks to me like they now wear lanyards with security keycards on them. I have to admit, it's good that he kept up with the trends. On the other hand, it's also convenient to date the strip- if Dilbert is not wearing a tie, then it's well past the jump-the-shark moment.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

loquacius posted:

gotchoo fam

I love that a 3-month vacation is supposed to be an enticing alternative to having the whole 12 months off.

How is it even possible to be this consistently stupid.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jurgan posted:

It looks to me like they now wear lanyards with security keycards on them. I have to admit, it's good that he kept up with the trends. On the other hand, it's also convenient to date the strip- if Dilbert is not wearing a tie, then it's well past the jump-the-shark moment.

It wouldn't be a newspaper comic strip if it didn't continue to struggle through a tortured sort of pseudo-life decades after its cultural relevance had faded to nothingness

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

Any time anyone spends money on anything it's a gamble, sure. But at the end of the day the goal of every marketing campaign is to raise money, and this one was calculated to raise money from people like us at the cost of raising less money from people like Mike Lester, and the people making it were reasonably sure it would work, or they wouldn't have done it, because they are marketing executives at a corporation. If you think they made this ad after much internal turmoil because they wanted to make the world a better place (which is what Somfin said) you're fooling yourself.

I'm just saying if you see an ad with a social message you like and think "wow, that sure was nice of that corporation to selflessly spend their ad money on an ad that appeals to me" the ad is working as intended.

You're the one suggesting this was selfless. I'm saying that it's a bold and scary move that I hope pays off. Conservative voices do not actually care about the numbers, they care about their image. If you think that boards of directors are made up of rational, logical beings you're falling for their propaganda.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

loquacius posted:

It wouldn't be a newspaper comic strip if it didn't continue to struggle through a tortured sort of pseudo-life decades after its cultural relevance had faded to nothingness

I wonder if anyone else would want to continue it once Adams finally retires/dies?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

At the beginning of Dilbert, the intern was hypercompetent (if naive), critically underappreciated, and constantly flummoxed by the dull stupidity of his old-rear end out-of-touch boss.

But I guess now Boomers are in their 50s and 60s so the boss is a smart witty quipster and the new kid isn't even capable of thought. And those who hate and fear new-fangled technology are wise guardians of the Better Times, instead of lazy Luddite dullards.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Somfin posted:

You're the one suggesting this was selfless. I'm saying that it's a bold and scary move that I hope pays off. Conservative voices do not actually care about the numbers, they care about their image. If you think that boards of directors are made up of rational, logical beings you're falling for their propaganda.

So, let me get this straight

I'm the one saying that corporations the size of Procter & Gamble don't spend money they have not painstakingly assured themselves they can make back (nb: you do not have to be a Perfect Rational Being to think something will make money, and actually corporations are frequently wrong about this, but making money is always their aim), and you're the one saying they were willing to launch a huge marketing campaign they didn't think would make money purely out of the desire for social change, and you now contend that I'm the one being naive

Please feel free to clarify if any part of that is inaccurate (as I have done likewise in my earlier parenthetical)

VitalSigns posted:

At the beginning of Dilbert, the intern was hypercompetent (if naive), critically underappreciated, and constantly flummoxed by the dull stupidity of his old-rear end out-of-touch boss.

But I guess now Boomers are in their 50s and 60s so the boss is a smart witty quipster and the new kid isn't even capable of thought. And those who hate and fear new-fangled technology are wise guardians of the Better Times, instead of lazy Luddite dullards.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Wilcox:

Le Lievre:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Manuel Calavera posted:

what the gently caress is that, anything?
:chanpop:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Who knew this would briefly be so relevant?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

VitalSigns posted:

How is it even possible to be this consistently stupid.
He's from Florida. :v:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

you're the one saying they were willing to launch a huge marketing campaign they didn't think would make money

Here's where you're wrong, and you're making bad assumptions again.

I think there was a lot of data suggesting the campaign would make money. I think that the conservative elements of Gillette and PnG would have been quite willing to dismiss those because they'd already spent so much money positioning Gillette as a Man Brand.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Somfin posted:

Here's where you're wrong, and you're making bad assumptions again.

I think there was a lot of data suggesting the campaign would make money. I think that the conservative elements of Gillette and PnG would have been quite willing to dismiss those because they'd already spent so much money positioning Gillette as a Man Brand.

Then why on Earth did you feel the need to step in and defend the international corporation when I said "keep in mind this was a cynical decision and you are being marketed to", and why are you continuing to argue when I continue to say this

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Cloud Potato posted:

Evening Standard:

This owns lmao.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

Then why on Earth did you feel the need to step in and defend the international corporation when I said "keep in mind this was a cynical decision and you are being marketed to", and why are you continuing to argue when I continue to say this

If there's so much obvious money there why aren't all companies doing the same thing?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Papa Johns wants in on this easy money approach to marketing.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Somfin posted:

If there's so much obvious money there why aren't all companies doing the same thing?

You could make this argument about literally anything any corporation does

Don't worry, I'm not going to topple Procter & Gamble, the precious international corporation is safe for now; in short, chill the gently caress out

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

in short, chill the gently caress out

Gonna save this for the next time a company does something good and you immediately start shouting about them for daring to benefit from it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Katt posted:

Papa Johns wants in on this easy money approach to marketing.

If you must have an answer, men's hygiene products are more tied to the concept of masculinity than, say, lovely pizza, which is why the definition of manhood comes up more often here than it does in Papa John's commercials (so bold and progressive of Papa John's to buy that huge product-placement spot in Ghostbusters 2016 btw, I bet the Old Guard all threatened to resign over that one); this is a different take on it than usual, but they apparently thought it would win them a new demographic that I imagine at this point tends more toward electric shavers and/or artisan podcast-advertised Internet razor companies, and obviously it's working

Somfin posted:

Gonna save this for the next time a company does something good and you immediately start shouting about them for daring to benefit from it

Cradling Procter & Gamble in my arms, that these vicious blows fall upon my body rather than theirs

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Both of you should go take a break.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

I remain unconvinced Trump is that good at math.

I wonder if these guys similarly storm out of church when Jesus dares to suggest they be nicer to their fellow human.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Sandpuppy posted:

I wonder if these guys similarly storm out of church when Jesus dares to suggest they be nicer to their fellow human.

Way to prove their point, Skelley.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

How many of these comics have a sweating face and no dialog as the last panel.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I understand that the broad point of this is that they want RBG to die so Trump can fill her seat but I don't understand why she's on a beach and why there's crabs.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

I understand that the broad point of this is that they want RBG to die so Trump can fill her seat but I don't understand why she's on a beach and why there's crabs.
I was going to ask about the crabs too. The only thing I can think of is an oblique cancer reference but given it's Stonetoss I can't help suspect it's code for something else.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Unfortunately crabs are nazis now

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
It's the crab dance meme. edit: Specifically like 1:10 in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDU_Txk06tM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Is the Escheresque nature of the tower supposed to be part of the joke, or just an oversight by the artist?