Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Asa-gao or get out

Shin-kai: write fast, write well, no feather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

atholbrose posted:

Shin-kai: write fast, write well, no feather.

I loving love Shin-kai. Favorite blue(ish)-black ink I've tried so far. Definitely my daily use ink in situations where I don't need black.

And Take-sumi is great for black, but I've never really gotten excited about a black ink. I'd like to try more black inks to see if there's one that stands out (for reasons I can't think of yet).

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

OMGVBFLOL posted:

kon-peki til i die

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Asa-gao or get out

You both misspelled ku-jaku.

tater_salad posted:

Can't hear you over my momiji

Okay, ku-jaku and momiji.

I am not big into black inks, but I will say take-sumi is a very big exception.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Ina-Ho or bust.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

While pale gray ink isn't for everyone, my favorite of the line is kiri-same.

Pilot Iroshizuku has something for everyone.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Word. Still using tsukushi as my daily ink, still happy with this decision

How’s fuyu-gaki? It looks nice on screen

e: gently caress it I’ll just order more ink samples. I’m sure I deserve a treat for something

Soricidus fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 17, 2019

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Tsukushi is real nice. Some day I'll convince myself to try one of the blues or something.

MockingQuantum posted:

Perfect, that's right in my sweet spot price-wise for a "won't cry if I hate it" pen. Also yay for not being resin! My wife does enough resin casting for work, I'd rather not smell that stink while I'm writing.

Edit: any models in particular that you'd recommend? Looks like they can do flex (and ultra flex?) on all of their pens, but seems like they will do flex nibs on a bunch of the other brands they carry. I'm not really familiar with any of those brands, either.

Boy are you barking up the wrong tree. Perhaps it's not all the FPR pens, but whichever one I got most certainly had the exact same exciting Noodler's Smell™. Kinda feels like it took longer to dissipate than the Ahab did too, despite being smaller.

They do write better, until you take them apart and now need to spend forever trying to figure out where the feed should be in relation. Unlike with the noodler's pens, there isn't a convenient guide or anything.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I generally don't like black inks but all of these pilot ones being thrown around are making me curious if maybe I would like one of theirs. What is the most interesting one that has a little something other than basic black to it.

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*
Lipstick Apathy

Soricidus posted:

Word. Still using tsukushi as my daily ink, still happy with this decision

How’s fuyu-gaki? It looks nice on screen

e: gently caress it I’ll just order more ink samples. I’m sure I deserve a treat for something

The color of fuyu-gaki is super nice, but overbearing if writing blocks of text with it. Loving it as an editing color, however!

Squats posted:

While pale gray ink isn't for everyone, my favorite of the line is kiri-same.

Pilot Iroshizuku has something for everyone.

That's my main writing ink right now. It pleasantly reminds me of pencil graphite, which brings me back to when I wrote all the time with mechanical pencils.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

OMGVBFLOL posted:

kon-peki til i die

i'm just some normie over here with my yama-budo

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Big fan of the Yama-Guri myself

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I really like the understated tint of fuyu-syogun. It's gray, but leans just a little toward blue, which really does evoke the feeling of a winter/overcast day, as the name suggests. And it's great for shading!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Zenostein posted:

Tsukushi is real nice. Some day I'll convince myself to try one of the blues or something.

Boy are you barking up the wrong tree. Perhaps it's not all the FPR pens, but whichever one I got most certainly had the exact same exciting Noodler's Smell™. Kinda feels like it took longer to dissipate than the Ahab did too, despite being smaller.

They do write better, until you take them apart and now need to spend forever trying to figure out where the feed should be in relation. Unlike with the noodler's pens, there isn't a convenient guide or anything.

They have a few lines that are acrylic rather than plant resin, it seems, so I'll probably stick with those. Also I just don't really want to support Noodlers if I can avoid it, and ultimately I care most about how they write.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

i'm just some normie over here with my yama-budo

if they discontinued kon-peki, it would either mean suicide or yama-budo. it is the sexiest purple and could make living without Deep Cerulean Blue tolerable. maybe

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if they discontinued kon-peki, it would either mean suicide or yama-budo. it is the sexiest purple and could make living without Deep Cerulean Blue tolerable. maybe

Yama-budo is really great, BUT Black Swan in Australian Roses matches it IF you get a good batch, at 2/3rds the cost.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Shame about the good batch caveat. I'll spend an extra 1/3rd of the cost to avoid the noodler lottery.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

bobfather posted:

Yama-budo is really great, BUT Black Swan in Australian Roses matches it IF you get a good batch, at 2/3rds the cost.

I didn't know that there was a batch thing, I've gotten lucky every time I guess. Love Black Swan in Australian Roses. It's juuuust dark enough to pass for school notes AND be pleasing for doodling.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Zenostein posted:

Vegetal resin, the source of the Noodler's Stink, is definitely a thing with Indian pens. I'd go so far as to say that's where he got the idea to use it from, since so many of his designs are almost 1:1 with Indian store brands. Maybe I just spent too much time using industrial cleaning solvents without a respirator, but it really isn't so bad a smell as everyone makes it out to be.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Queen Combat posted:

I didn't know that there was a batch thing, I've gotten lucky every time I guess. Love Black Swan in Australian Roses. It's juuuust dark enough to pass for school notes AND be pleasing for doodling.

This is completely anecdotal, but the one time I ordered a sample of Black Swan in Australian Roses it was significantly lighter than every picture I've seen on the internet. It was nearly neon highlighter pink.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I think Australian Roses was the one that Noodler reformulated without telling anyone. Completely changed the color.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I found if I used my Ahab enough the smell went away unless I held it up to my nose. But if I left it capped for a long time the smell would sort of build up again.

I stopped using it because the feed is so insanely wet that if I didn't grip it a really specific way the bottom of the feed would blot all over the paper and my fingers. I really like the form factor of it otherwise, but it's a total crapshoot of a pen.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
You say crap shoot, he says designed for tinkerers. It's an interesting pen and I like the way its sort of overbuilt to play with, but I don't think any of his stuff is plug-and-play

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 17, 2019

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

NeurosisHead posted:

Vegetal resin, the source of the Noodler's Stink, is definitely a thing with Indian pens. I'd go so far as to say that's where he got the idea to use it from, since so many of his designs are almost 1:1 with Indian store brands. Maybe I just spent too much time using industrial cleaning solvents without a respirator, but it really isn't so bad a smell as everyone makes it out to be.

Most Noodler's pens are Indian in origin and assembled in the US.

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003

Solumin posted:

I think Australian Roses was the one that Noodler reformulated without telling anyone. Completely changed the color.

I'm also pretty sure they changed it again to closer match the original color. Makes it very hard to order.

CryingCypress71
Oct 15, 2018

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Asa-gao or get out

2nd Kon-Peki

OMGVBFLOL posted:

kon-peki til i die

2nd that thought! Kim-Peki is my “go to” blue

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

No love for Shin-ryoku? Dark green ink is subtle but unique. That's what I've been using on a day-to-day basis.

That said I also go through phases of Kon-peki, Asa-gao and Tsuki-yo. Is Shin-kai relatively new? I don't think I've seen that one before and now I want it, as if I needed more blues...

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

The Hebug posted:

No love for Shin-ryoku? Dark green ink is subtle but unique. That's what I've been using on a day-to-day basis.

I've got Shin-ryoku loaded up in my stub nib Metro and it's super good. Not ashamed to admit that I used it last to fill out my latest DnD character sheet.

I got one of those Iroshizuku gift sets with Shin-ryoku, Yama-budo, and Take-sumi and it's been great across the board. Yama-budo is what I was really looking for after I had that weird off-color sample of Black Swan in Australian Roses.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I wish I could brag about Tsutsuji but I..... don't like it in person as much as I thought I would. :negative: It was an impulse buy in Japan before the price drop to $20 online. It's not nearly as vibrant as it looks in photos, and when totally dried, it's sort of dull with an unpleasant red sheen to it. And I really like all kinds of reds normally! It's my normal writing color!

(but if you like tsutsuji, more power to you of course)

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

plester1 posted:

This is completely anecdotal, but the one time I ordered a sample of Black Swan in Australian Roses it was significantly lighter than every picture I've seen on the internet. It was nearly neon highlighter pink.

Once upon a time, I ordered a bottle of Dostoyevsky. Unless I use a dip pen, it's basically only useful as highlighter ink. On the plus side, I swapped it's cap with a broken cap on a color that I'd actually use, so eventually it'll evaporate enough to be a proper color, maybe (probably not). Right now I've got it in a brush pen, which works nice enough. It's a shame I don't use highlighters, this off-batch is an almost perfect highlighter blue.

My bottle of English Roses is perfect, though. I'll be quite sad when it runs out. But considering my bottle of red-black from 2009 or so is still half-full…

Heath posted:

I found if I used my Ahab enough the smell went away unless I held it up to my nose. But if I left it capped for a long time the smell would sort of build up again.

I stopped using it because the feed is so insanely wet that if I didn't grip it a really specific way the bottom of the feed would blot all over the paper and my fingers. I really like the form factor of it otherwise, but it's a total crapshoot of a pen.

It's been a while since I've looked it up (or cleaned my ahab, there's a ton of pens that'll be soaking for days…) but I think that means you want fewer fins visible (and as a result more distance between the tip of the nib and the tip of the feed). I need to just give in and eyedropper mine, the converter doesn't really stay put just right, so opening the pen almost always guarantees slightly inky fingers.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
R&K Salix has been my new go to work ink. It's the most well behaved, deeply pigmented ink I've ever used. So smooth out of the nib too.

edit: ok I suppose what I meant is that the ink is a good solid color. Makes it very easy to read. Sometimes FP ink can dry to be a bit...watery?

Lowness 72 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 18, 2019

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Salix isn't pigmented. It is an iron gall ink, though.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Is there a reliable retailer for Sailor Four Season/Shikiori inks now? The only places I can find either have shady looking web UI or are ebay retailers shipping from Japan, which I am not brave enough to test blindly.

Iroshizuku's nice but for some colors Sailor just blows them out of the water, and I wish I'd picked up a few shades while they were still stocked commonly.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

melodicwaffle posted:

Is there a reliable retailer for Sailor Four Season/Shikiori inks now? The only places I can find either have shady looking web UI or are ebay retailers shipping from Japan, which I am not brave enough to test blindly.

Iroshizuku's nice but for some colors Sailor just blows them out of the water, and I wish I'd picked up a few shades while they were still stocked commonly.

Anderson Pens has a good handful of them.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Lowness 72 posted:

R&K Salix has been my new go to work ink. It's the most well behaved, deeply pigmented ink I've ever used. So smooth out of the nib too.

edit: ok I suppose what I meant is that the ink is a good solid color. Makes it very easy to read. Sometimes FP ink can dry to be a bit...watery?

How does the Iron Gall behave? I've been considering getting a bottle but the whole corroding your pens thing is a little intimidating.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Nine of Eight posted:

How does the Iron Gall behave? I've been considering getting a bottle but the whole corroding your pens thing is a little intimidating.

this is the original purpose of gold nibs, right? other, cheaper metals are malleable too but none are as malleable AND as nonreactive

like I’m sure a skilled blacksmith could make a steel nib by hand but gall ink would rot away its capillary action pretty quickly

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 18, 2019

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What's the reason for using iron gall over another ink?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Heath posted:

They're permanent and cool. Also, modern Iron Gall inks are safe for the vast majority of modern pens.

Saw one of the worst Visconti palladium nibs I've ever seen last night. Another member of my local pen club had a Red Wine Homo Sapiens with an EF nib. He said it barely wrote and asked me to take a look at it. The nib was so far off of the feed that there was basically no contact from the breather hole forward. The pen was bought new and didn't have any of the kinks or bends you would expect from being dropped or sprung. What a POS.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Heath posted:

it is extremely permanent and waterproof. most of the other common olde tyme ink sources remained water soluble even after drying.

it was also cheap and easy to make from relatively useless materials: pyerite and oak apples

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
ink update: fuyu-gaki more like fuckyeah-gaki

not a very practical color but this isn’t the practical stationery thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Nine of Eight posted:

I've only used it in my Pelikan (gold nib) but I love it. No hard starts even after sitting for a week or more. Fast drying ink. Deep color. No feathering. Very smooth writing. I am really into R&K inks now.

It's not necessarily "fun" but it's great for work. I like the color too.