Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bionics rule. I'm turning depressive cripples into machine men with machine hearts and, more importantly, machine trigger fingers.

Do bionics help with combat at all? I don't know if 'efficiency' helps with shootin and stabbin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jokes posted:

Bionics rule. I'm turning depressive cripples into machine men with machine hearts and, more importantly, machine trigger fingers.

Do bionics help with combat at all? I don't know if 'efficiency' helps with shootin and stabbin.

You can specifically view the calculations in the pawn info panel, generally bionic arms will, for example, improve a pawn's manipulation rating, which in turn factors into shooting. If you hit the [i] button when a pawn is selected it will open up their detailed bio with basically every possible stat they can have, including their shooting breakdown which if you open that will tell you all the factors affecting it.

Rimworld exposes a huge amount of information if you want it. Bionic limbs also generally come with basic damage increases, cos adam jensening someone in the gob hurts.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

jokes posted:

Shooting is based partially on manipulation(hands and arms) and heavily on sight(eyes), so bionic hands/arms/eyes will help you shoot. Melee is based much more on manipulation.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I want to beat 1.0 Randy Rough with a reasonably balanced mod list but some additional content, so far I've gone for:

EPOE
Hospitality
Realistic Planets
Nature's Pretty Sweet
A dog said
Feed the colonists
An extra animal pack I can't remember the name of

Anything non-QoL/anti-micro I'm missing? Anything that adds more events/biomes/threats without making the game easy is very much my thing,
I feel like Rimatomics, Rimefeller, Vegetable Garden and Glittertech mess with the balance too much. EPOE probably is a little OP but I always found the vanilla medical stuff a bit limited. Not really interested in things like cults that change the whole game and I'm not bothered about Psychology.

Is Sparkling Worlds game breaking or does it just add cool stuff?

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jan 17, 2019

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I've decided in this run that I'm going to find the hidden ship rather than build my own, so we're going on a roadtrip. I've minmaxed my pawns with some crazy EPOE gear, so they're fast (there's 4), and I have a couple of options:

1) Build Cargo Pod Launchers, fill them only with other cargo pod launcher supplies and make the 3 jumps necessary to get there
2) Buy 2-4 Muffalo and walk (estimated 55 days)
3) Hybrid of the 2 (walk to the final jump (22ish days) which is on a peninsula which puts a single jump at max distance in reach, shaving almost 30 days off the trip due to a giant bay)

I've never done any long-range caravanning before.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Walton Simons posted:

I want to beat 1.0 Randy Rough with a reasonably balanced mod list but some additional content, so far I've gone for:

EPOE
Hospitality
Realistic Planets
Nature's Pretty Sweet
A dog said
Feed the colonists
An extra animal pack I can't remember the name of

Anything non-QoL/anti-micro I'm missing? Anything that adds more events/biomes/threats without making the game easy is very much my thing,
I feel like Rimatomics, Rimefeller, Vegetable Garden and Glittertech mess with the balance too much. EPOE probably is a little OP but I always found the vanilla medical stuff a bit limited. Not really interested in things like cults that change the whole game and I'm not bothered about Psychology.

Is Sparkling Worlds game breaking or does it just add cool stuff?

Sparkling Worlds is the better balanced end-game mod as compared to Glittertech. Rimcuisine is the less bloated and more interesting version of Vegetable Garden, but you could argue it too alters difficulty.

You can also add the Sparkling World’s mod in pieces to get the events but not late game tech and such.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta

HelloSailorSign posted:

Rimcuisine is the less bloated and more interesting version of Vegetable Garden, but you could argue it too alters difficulty.

For real, VGP has like four submods and you can grow plasteel in hydroponics. Rimcuisine is neat and has interesting food processing/storage options. If you like putting down numerous small farming plots for rare vegetables you can stack food buffs.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

jerman999 posted:

For real, VGP has like four submods and you can grow plasteel in hydroponics. Rimcuisine is neat and has interesting food processing/storage options. If you like putting down numerous small farming plots for rare vegetables you can stack food buffs.

The whole thing about the ingredients of a food making a difference in the +moodlet that's given is a really neat thing, in my opinion. Hardtack should be given a slight negative moodlet to balance ease of ingredients and extremely long storage time.

They still shouldn't have tofu give a negative moodlet, just make it take more processing time/resources to keep it from becoming an easy meat source.

I also spend time now after a pirate base has been raided looking around for truffles to take home.

I do like the fabrics add-on for Vegetable Garden, making synthread and hyperweave using plasteel and other materials is a good balance.

Edit: Oh, also forgot - check out Orion's More Mechanoids for uh, more mechanoid types. They've all got little niches that are pretty neat to fight against as opposed to, "oh look, more centipedes."

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
One thing about rimcuisine is IIRC some of the processed food items have really inflated prices so they can bump your wealth up a lot. I think tofu is one of the culprits.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

jerman999 posted:

VGP has canning too, Medieval Times already adds drying fruit/meat.

Also, looking into rimcuisine a bit, hardtack sounds OP as hell(an easier to make pemmican(only requiring flour) with no mood debuffs) meals that forget what they're made from(so you can use humanlike meat), messing around with things like healroot which could cause mod compatibility issues, etc. Doesn't really sound worth the trouble to switch.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

jerman999 posted:

The thing with VGP is you need to pick and choose what you want. Don't want the plasteel? Don't install the growable resources.

Still, Rimcuisine sounds interesting... VGP never really solved the problem of there being one best option so everyone is going to be eating stew forever. That's why I stopped using it. Is it different with Rimcuisine?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Nalesh posted:

VGP has canning too, Medieval Times already adds drying fruit/meat.

Also, looking into rimcuisine a bit, hardtack sounds OP as hell(an easier to make pemmican(only requiring flour) with no mood debuffs) meals that forget what they're made from(so you can use humanlike meat), messing around with things like healroot which could cause mod compatibility issues, etc. Doesn't really sound worth the trouble to switch.

At least as far as healroot goes, as it just adds a step into production (which then can take the unrefined version and make other things with it), I've not found any mod conflicts with things that change healroot.

I must've missed the meals forgetting what they're made of, my colonists always seem to catch insect meat and rare ingredients still.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Warmachine posted:

The thing with VGP is you need to pick and choose what you want. Don't want the plasteel? Don't install the growable resources.

Still, Rimcuisine sounds interesting... VGP never really solved the problem of there being one best option so everyone is going to be eating stew forever. That's why I stopped using it. Is it different with Rimcuisine?

It's kinda solved by having it at level 15 requirement, that's gonna take a good while to get unless you get really lucky, and at that point you're probably gonna be able to make whatever anyway.

Also apparently rimcuisine meals are priced really highly so it inflates your wealth a lot.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Warmachine posted:

Whereas VGP adds different status effects to food, Rimcuisine only adds more moodlet change.

If you make a VGP stir fry out of meat and veggies, you get +5 for the fine meal buff and the status effects (blood filtration and manipulation, right?). Whether you make it from rat meat and corn or thrumo meat, agave, and potatoes, it doesn't matter.

Rimcuisine does add a, "hearty stew" which is basically bulk creation of fine meals (also a weak stew). But, what matters are the ingredients. If it's meat and corn, you get +5 moodlet for fine meal. If you use meat, onions, and truffles, then you get +5 moodlet for meal, +1 moodlet for uncommon ingredient (onions), and +3 moodlet (from truffles). So, you could also still make fine meals, but the ingredients still matter. There aren't status buffs like VGP.

You can also make donuts and pastries, which have a +5 for fine meal and +2 for tasty treat moodlet, as they require either sugar or fruit to make (in addition to flour).

So they're still eating stew forever, but it's not like you're picking "make more stew" instead of making the dozen other choices.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
The snack options are nice IMO. I like filling my base with candy shelves.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
I'm pretty new to the game and running vanilla with only Moody, a work priority mod and a hauling mod. How many pawns do you usually have after 2 years? I have 4-5 and feel I might be too picky with the starting stats for new recruits. What's a good strategy on this?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

jerman999 posted:

The snack options are nice IMO. I like filling my base with candy shelves.

The things I have on sale for my visitors to buy when they visit -

Candy
Coffee
Green Tea
Zope (basically heroin, the zopioid mod is kinda neat)
Any looted yayo, go juice, cigars, or cigarettes off raiders

serious norman posted:

I'm pretty new to the game and running vanilla with only Moody, a work priority mod and a hauling mod. How many pawns do you usually have after 2 years? I have 4-5 and feel I might be too picky with the starting stats for new recruits. What's a good strategy on this?

After 2 years, I usually have somewhere around 10-20, depending on number of raids, if any slavers dropped by, and if I managed to recruit any visitors (yay Hospitality mod!). I use a mod that allows me to disable the scaling sudden death occurrence on downed chance, so in 80 pawn raids I'll often have 10 downed, even though I'm at 60 colonists now.

Once you've got enough colonists to build up the necessities - growing, cooking, construction - then it's usually not too much of a stretch for them to support other pawns until those pawns get better. The initial group of colonists on "livable outside without thrumbofur parkas" maps should be able to support at least double, if not triple, their number. So, I often don't recruit just based on stat number, but potential. A double passion pawn is going to catch up super fast. A single passion pawn, especially if they're Too Smart, are just as quick to level up.

I also make sure I've got a few colonists who function as fodder/cleaning/hauling crew. Other than making sure they don't have negative traits, I often don't care if their max skill is level 3 and they've got a single passion flame in melee.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

serious norman posted:

In the beginning? I'll take just about anyone that isn't a pyromaniac and can haul/clean. Labor hours are labor hours at that point, and aside from cooking and medicine, a high starting skill isn't absolutely necessary. Construction and growing will both level quickly because they are labor intensive. Same with intellect via research. Crafting is nice, but I don't find myself doing much of that until much later, at which point I've already solved the basic skills problems.

In my games, food is always the limiting factor. So if you have to prioritize early skills, I'd say a competent grower, two competent cooks (one for day shift, one for night shift), and someone with good shooting + animals (the animals lowers the chance the target will go manhunter). In that order.

As far as population, I had 14 pawns at the two year mark, on Randy Rough.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
I am picky I often have 6-7 at 2 years

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Warmachine posted:

In the beginning? I'll take just about anyone that isn't a pyromaniac and can haul/clean. Labor hours are labor hours at that point, and aside from cooking and medicine, a high starting skill isn't absolutely necessary. Construction and growing will both level quickly because they are labor intensive. Same with intellect via research. Crafting is nice, but I don't find myself doing much of that until much later, at which point I've already solved the basic skills problems.

In my games, food is always the limiting factor. So if you have to prioritize early skills, I'd say a competent grower, two competent cooks (one for day shift, one for night shift), and someone with good shooting + animals (the animals lowers the chance the target will go manhunter). In that order.

As far as population, I had 14 pawns at the two year mark, on Randy Rough.

HelloSailorSign posted:

After 2 years, I usually have somewhere around 10-20, depending on number of raids, if any slavers dropped by, and if I managed to recruit any visitors (yay Hospitality mod!). I use a mod that allows me to disable the scaling sudden death occurrence on downed chance, so in 80 pawn raids I'll often have 10 downed, even though I'm at 60 colonists now.

Once you've got enough colonists to build up the necessities - growing, cooking, construction - then it's usually not too much of a stretch for them to support other pawns until those pawns get better. The initial group of colonists on "livable outside without thrumbofur parkas" maps should be able to support at least double, if not triple, their number. So, I often don't recruit just based on stat number, but potential. A double passion pawn is going to catch up super fast. A single passion pawn, especially if they're Too Smart, are just as quick to level up.

I also make sure I've got a few colonists who function as fodder/cleaning/hauling crew. Other than making sure they don't have negative traits, I often don't care if their max skill is level 3 and they've got a single passion flame in melee.

Cheers, I think what I'm lacking at this point is cleaning/hauling mostly, and of course shooters for later raids. My storyteller is Phoebe chillax and it's really easy raids so far (I scored some masterwork rifles in a quest). Also I only have one colonist that excels in cooking, haven't found another yet :shrug:. I'm using the stool-1x1-stockpile-trick which has helped me enormously though.

edit: as for bedrooms I use the 7x7 layout, is this necessary for all my colonists or can I stack some of them in a barrack?

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
If you can afford it individual bedrooms are better. If building in a mountain make sure there are two exits to each bedroom in case of bugs. There's a mod (realistic room sizes?) that makes smaller rooms more viable.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

serious norman posted:

Cheers, I think what I'm lacking at this point is cleaning/hauling mostly, and of course shooters for later raids. My storyteller is Phoebe chillax and it's really easy raids so far (I scored some masterwork rifles in a quest). Also I only have one colonist that excels in cooking, haven't found another yet :shrug:. I'm using the stool-1x1-stockpile-trick which has helped me enormously though.

edit: as for bedrooms I use the 7x7 layout, is this necessary for all my colonists or can I stack some of them in a barrack?

Well, so with Phoebe and Cassandra, they do a set number of raids a year - Phoebe fewer than Cassandra, obviously. This means that if you're not only on Phoebe, but on an easier game setting, your raids will not only be infrequent but of very low number. The vast, vast majority of my colonists were previous raiders, so by playing on Phoebe imo you're slowing down colony growth.

It's why I use Randy these days.

When building a barracks, try to make sure you've at least got it to decent before sticking people in there unless you're really early game with a big +mood buff from poor colony wealth. With a really impressive barracks the colonists can still get a mood buff (+2), but with enough other pawns they'll still get hit with "Disturbed Sleep." So, colonists who have a higher break threshold % should not go into a barracks, while those who are Steadfast or Iron-willed can easily not go nuts being in a barracks with people disturbing their sleep. Pawns with other +mood traits (animal master, optimist, sanguine, etc) can also work.

I'm in progress building my 3rd barracks. I think I've got 13 private rooms, either for mayor/leaders (mainly RP purposes) or couples. Each of my barracks house like, 20-30 colonists.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
In my 3-4 games, I've always run pretty lean with pawns, but in my last game, prior to firing up the ship reactor, I made a mission to take every pawn that was presented/captured and get them off the map. It was fun and it really makes you change a lot of stuff if you're used to playing lean.

I watch a series on YT from Rhadamant called Black Lake and he's doing a similar kinda challenge and taking in EVERY possible pawn from day one and building giant barracks and stuff and it's super entertaining but looks massively stressful. I think he said he'd stop at 100 pawns?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Here's my current base, note the barracks in the north - they're either very or extremely impressive:

The three smaller barracks near the front line consists of two prison barracks (with the bright white plumbing fixtures) and the warden barracks (my wardens constantly wear power armor and carry blunt weaponry). The barracks in the middle are guest quarters.

Here's the defense in action. With this setup the embrasures are mostly superfluous, sandbags would provide similar defense need. Melee doesn't get anywhere near with the side wings, though I haven't had a shield belt melee rush in a while.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Thanks for the mod advice, I'll go for Sparkling Worlds. Rimcuisine sounds cool too but I'm pretty happy with how vanilla handles food.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

HelloSailorSign posted:

Here's my current base, note the barracks in the north - they're either very or extremely impressive:

The three smaller barracks near the front line consists of two prison barracks (with the bright white plumbing fixtures) and the warden barracks (my wardens constantly wear power armor and carry blunt weaponry). The barracks in the middle are guest quarters.

Here's the defense in action. With this setup the embrasures are mostly superfluous, sandbags would provide similar defense need. Melee doesn't get anywhere near with the side wings, though I haven't had a shield belt melee rush in a while.

How'd you get a sweet rear end giant single valley map like that? Even with the reroll map mod I can't seem to get anything similar.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Random luck. I did slightly increase the amount of mountain formed. I took a look toggling off "Show Fog" in Dev mode and apparently if I mine too far to the east from my new hallway (another 30-40 tiles, I'd guess), I'll run into another valley and ruin it.

So I guess I'm not going there!

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

So I just grabbed realistic planets and advanced biomes, what are your favourite biomes from them and why? I'm planning on a crash landed start with raiding in mind.

Also is there a mod that adds more caravan events/make them more common?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Did they fix realistic planets? When I started a game my map would flood instantly.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Kinda tempted to add the zombie mod but not sure, any of you use it?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Did they fix realistic planets? When I started a game my map would flood instantly.

Seems fine to me.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Nalesh posted:

Kinda tempted to add the zombie mod but not sure, any of you use it?
I tried a couple zombie mods out. They change the game to make combat more of a continuous stream than the occasional spike but frankly zombies are a very solvable problem that then insulates you against anything except drop pod raids coming right into the middle of your base. Downside is that normal ground side traders also can't get through, but the existence of orbital traders simply means that you do more with them instead. Overall it's a novelty that'll wear off fairly quickly, especially once you get tired of the continuous weapon fire sounds. And I mean continuous. There'll always be something, somewhere firing at things that are moderately threatening at best.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

HelloSailorSign posted:

What map size are you using for this?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Sounds like the zombie mod(s) need more mod-specific events made.

Can you cause the normal ground trading groups that wander in to spawn at a specific point? You could consider treating them a bit like the chased refugee events. You get a ping that says a caravan is approaching but needs zombies cleared, and so you've got some period of time to get them a cleared entry.

Though you'd probably need to instruct the NPC pawns to "ignore" so they run in to your base rather than stop and shoot zombies in the game files.

In that case, I'd probably also advise them having a toggle-able, "disable orbital traders" in the mod just to have it separate from needing to do it in scenario settings.

It'd probably also be neat to combine some aspect of zombie research into "curing" those who were zombified, and you end up with a random rolled pawn (that may or may not be friendly/mentally stable) after capturing or inoculating local zombies.

You could also design some interesting world quests that are more zombie apocalypse flavored too. Rescue friendly caravan, relieve sieged friendly faction outpost, that kinda thing.

Edit: Regarding map size, it was either default or one step up, but not the super huge ones. I cropped the image a bit to get rid of the non-base spots.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

HelloSailorSign posted:

Edit: Regarding map size, it was either default or one step up, but not the super huge ones. I cropped the image a bit to get rid of the non-base spots.

Ok thanks. I use one up from default but for some reason your map seems much larger. I guess it's seeing everything like that.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

Ok thanks. I use one up from default but for some reason your map seems much larger. I guess it's seeing everything like that.

Yeah, there ain't a whole lot left of the map that was cropped though, which is why the long twisting tunnel is so necessary. Usually raiders get around the first bend by the time I'm able to muster everyone, which otherwise would've meant they'd be at the gate already. Usually there's somebody near the gates though, so I usually open the 2nd gate to let them have a shortcut as by then, I'm impatiently waiting through the lag.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
For pawn chat, you should be recruiting everyone that isn't outright a awful like pyros. Everyone else, including pyros, should be enslaved using prison labour.

Eventually you'll end up with important job pawns and dumblabour and cooking/growing slaves, once you've weeded out the slaves. The non useful slaves get butchered and made into kibble and human leather prison jumpsuits.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I present for the class, the "just loving shoot them" method of infestation control.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Tame those fuckin' bugs man, and use that middle bedroom filled with hives as your renewable spawner!

That's literally the perfect set up you have there, and all you need is a mace and a handler with a few nerdimals to back him up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Make a mod that allows you to launch corpses out of mortars and/or catapults and use the bugs as ammo.

Bonus points if mortar launched bodies dissesemble on launch for a shotgun effect.

Also uh, maybe moral penalties for doing that.