Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Ague Proof posted:

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos in wheelchair after breaking her pelvis and hip socket in bicycle mishap.

“Very painful,” she said. “But it will heal. I just have to stay off of it for quite a few weeks, so I’m getting around with other means.”

Pity it wasn't more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Lemming posted:

Lindsey Graham 1 hour later: "Mr. President, it is your DUTY to ban ALL Democrats from traveling"

Expecting this.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Radish posted:

Yeah that speach was the most self indulgent gently caress you to everyone that thought she might do the right thing. Then the image of her clinking glasses with Manchin. gently caress her she's the worst.

https://twitter.com/MuhFreezePeach/status/1049618084200239106

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/matthewamiller/status/1085989505599983623

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Pelosi's spokesperson

https://twitter.com/Drew_Hammill/status/1085997663819055106

https://twitter.com/Drew_Hammill/status/1085997665295437827

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
So this was also about Trump reaffirming his distaste for NATO

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

KillHour posted:

My (limited) understanding is thus:

Money doesn't have intrinsic value, it's a promise that you will be able to exchange for something valuable later. The government doesn't have a big vault it holds all its money in any more than you have a big vault you hold your promises in. If you promise me you'll take me out on a nice date and you actually do so, you don't 'free up' a promise to give to someone else, it just disappears into thin air because it's been fulfilled. In other words, the government makes promises by giving people money for services, and fulfills those promises by charging you taxes. If that sounds backwards, it's because you're thinking of money backwards. Money has negative value for the government because all money is the government being in debt to you. Taxes are the government going "You got roads and schools and poo poo, so that settles x amount of our debt. Please give me back my magic debt-bearing device (IOU slips, basically) so everyone knows we're even." When our elected officials set tax rates, it's effectively us negotiating with the government what those services are worth - if we raise taxes, it means we're saying "roads and schools and poo poo are worth a lot to us, so we are willing to absolve a lot of debt for them" and lowering taxes says "The stuff you do isn't worth as many promises."

The pointy end is that if the government doesn't get enough promises back out of the economy, there are so many promises out there that those promises are worth less (inflation). This is supposed to happen because a lot of promises floating around means people are more willing to trade those promises, stimulating the economy. But if it happens a lot in a short amount of time, people freak out and the perceived future value of the promises craters (hyperinflation). The part that conservatives don't get is the limit to how many promises can be out there isn't fixed - it's tied to the amount of goods and services available to trade those promises for. If there are more goods and services available, the government can issue more promises. It just so happens that funding expensive infrastructure tends to stimulate the economy really well, causing more goods and services to be available, allowing the government to issue more promises and solving the problem of keeping the promise-balance without needing to raise taxes.

The need to permanently fund certain government programs has never been about having the cash to spend the money but instead on how to avoid a future congress from reappropriating the funding during the annular budget markup. Its to solve a political problem, not a financial one. I see all opposition to permanently pay for a green new deal as opposition to the permanent existence of a green new deal, same with M4A.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

This is exactly the kind of petty bullshit that makes people STILL blame Newt for that shutdown.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The caveat with MMT is that the debt and defecits are don't matter...until the point at which they do. And that point can be hard to determine, and depending on how debt is allocated, others can manipulate where that point lies. In the long run, resolving defecit spending and some tranches of the debt would be a worthwhile endeavor. That's really something to worry about once we've resolved the current collection of trash fires, though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Retro42 posted:

This is exactly the kind of petty bullshit that makes people STILL blame Newt for that shutdown.

love living in a timeline where that record was broken for any even dumber reason.

https://twitter.com/tomscocca/status/1086000411910254592

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rip Testes posted:

So this was also about Trump reaffirming his distaste for NATO

This is a coincidence at best, he was just looking for the fastest and must accessible way to hurt Pelosi.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Retro42 posted:

I dunno that trying to get Pelosi assassinated while visiting a warzone is petty.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

VideoGameVet posted:

Pelosi should self fund the trip and suggest Trump do the same if he needs to travel.

Nah, the problem is once it is public knowledge it has to be postponed. Senior government officials can’t openly travel to war zones, especially not on a commercial flight.

But hey, Pelosi didn’t need to do this. She is a San Francisco Democrat. The only way she loses her seat is if she is primaried or if Dems lose the House again. The net result of this is Trump looks petty. I wouldn’t be surprised if more Republicans publically condemn this too if it gets enough press, because Trump also endangered everyone on the trip, including our troops.

Vile Pilot
Jan 19, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
The democrats are going to cave and Trump is going to get his wall. They simply can't compete with this level of trolling.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

So, uh obviously this gets cancelled but in the odd chance this isn't any Airmen on that bus are gonna be in a hell of a pickle over whose orders they follow.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You know, that Atlantic article that's going around has me thinking, maybe the house should just go ahead right now with impeachment on some of the things Trump has publicly done that are deserving of impeachment. I appreciate not wanting to do it week one, waiting for the Mueller investigation to complete, and wanting to do a bit of their own investigation into some of the crimes. It's perfectly reasonable to want to have the ducks in the row before moving forward. But the thing is Trump hasn't committed an impeachable offense, he's committed so many of them that we'll still be dealing with his crimes a decade from now. So why not get one impeachment procedure going as some shutdown leverage.

It's a win-win-win. Trump backs down on the wall in exchange for holding off on the proceedings; democrats go back to waiting for the other investigations to complete and do a really thorough job of it next time. It goes to the senate and the senate doesn't do anything despite the facts being that Trump is unfit for office; oh well, we're still where we started from and Trump has lots of other crimes you can impeach him for when investigations are done. Trump actually gets impeached? President Pence is a shithead of the highest order but he's not going to self-destruct over Trump's wall. And then you arrest Trump and likely impeach Pence when the investigations are done.

I feel like ramping up the pressure on Trump is a positive thing right now and that's one of the levers that congress has. So why not use it?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ague Proof posted:

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos in wheelchair after breaking her pelvis and hip socket in bicycle mishap.

“Very painful,” she said. “But it will heal. I just have to stay off of it for quite a few weeks, so I’m getting around with other means.”

lmaowned

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

karthun posted:

The need to permanently fund certain government programs has never been about having the cash to spend the money but instead on how to avoid a future congress from reappropriating the funding during the annular budget markup. Its to solve a political problem, not a financial one. I see all opposition to permanently pay for a green new deal as opposition to the permanent existence of a green new deal, same with M4A.

I'm for permanent existence of M4A and a GND, but if the price of permanence for both of these is it being fully paid for, that is going to incur a level of cost on not just the rich but the middle class as well, for no economic justification, but because of a political problem due to our budget procedures.

Which is why I think I think we need to change our budget procedures so we can have some permanent programs that don't have to be "fully paid for". How that works yet I don't know as I don't know enough about budget law to say so.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Random Stranger posted:

You know, that Atlantic article that's going around has me thinking, maybe the house should just go ahead right now with impeachment on some of the things Trump has publicly done that are deserving of impeachment. I appreciate not wanting to do it week one, waiting for the Mueller investigation to complete, and wanting to do a bit of their own investigation into some of the crimes. It's perfectly reasonable to want to have the ducks in the row before moving forward. But the thing is Trump hasn't committed an impeachable offense, he's committed so many of them that we'll still be dealing with his crimes a decade from now. So why not get one impeachment procedure going as some shutdown leverage.

It's a win-win-win. Trump backs down on the wall in exchange for holding off on the proceedings; democrats go back to waiting for the other investigations to complete and do a really thorough job of it next time. It goes to the senate and the senate doesn't do anything despite the facts being that Trump is unfit for office; oh well, we're still where we started from and Trump has lots of other crimes you can impeach him for when investigations are done. Trump actually gets impeached? President Pence is a shithead of the highest order but he's not going to self-destruct over Trump's wall. And then you arrest Trump and likely impeach Pence when the investigations are done.

I feel like ramping up the pressure on Trump is a positive thing right now and that's one of the levers that congress has. So why not use it?

Eh right now this minute there's about as much pressure on him as there can be. He's also losing his base which has historically never happened. An impeachment proceeding right now might just get in the way of that by firing up tribal loyalties.

It should definitely happen sometime this year but let's not gently caress up a narrative we're winning

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

my bony fealty posted:

Oh yeah for sure. No doubt there are students everywhere uncomfortable being shoved into a binary gender box, and many at institutions that don't respect or recognize that they could ever not be a cis BOY or GIRL.

The destructive nature of traditional/fundie/conservative religion on identity is a topic for another thread but I do believe even the norms there are being slowly eroded by younger people. Gonna be plenty of whacked out hateful fundies in Gen Z for sure but certainly less than previous generations.

Heck yeah! Even just from when I was in high school is so massively different, and I tear up on the regular hearing about all the enby kids who can just, be their proud unabashed selves today, versus when I was sneaking around the public library to find the two trans books they had - both of whom were written by people who ended up needing to sever pretty much everything and move somewhere far away to actually come out and live as themselves. And sure, Gen Z will have people who'll take up the cause of screaming against every scrap of progress, but it appears they'll be vastly outnumbered.

e: spelling

reitetsu fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 17, 2019

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

I don't entirely disagree, but I also wouldn't be particularly surprised if it just makes Donald (who, never forget, is incredibly stupid and not at all a rational actor) just become more intransigent because 'gently caress you', while the GOP rallies tighter to him because impeachment is a more typical partisan sort of fight.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Impeachment doesn't do jack unless they can bring down Pence as well

While a GOP Senate may convict Trump (not likely, but non-zero), they will never convict Pence

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

no it does quite a bit.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

While a GOP Senate may convict Trump (not likely, but non-zero), they will never convict Pence

If a Republican senate convicted Trump Pence would be in a bunker waiting the rapture or have probably ran off with a few stallions to somewhere in Mexico.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Does Lindsey Graham actually want both all three branches of government to be gathered with a token security force? Seems like a patently horrible idea to me, it's not "sophomoric" to suggest not doing it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Pence is a nightmarish shithead who should be kept as far away from high office as possible, but I doubt he'll actively work to destroy the United States so that's still a step up from Trump.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/Drew_Hammill/status/1085997663819055106

https://mobile.twitter.com/Drew_Hammill/status/1085997665295437827

Pelosi spokesperson

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

theblackw0lf posted:

I'm for permanent existence of M4A and a GND, but if the price of permanence for both of these is it being fully paid for, that is going to incur a level of cost on not just the rich but the middle class as well, for no economic justification, but because of a political problem due to our budget procedures.

Which is why I think I think we need to change our budget procedures so we can have some permanent programs that don't have to be "fully paid for". How that works yet I don't know as I don't know enough about budget law to say so.

It would be a constitutional amendment to remove the power of the purse. But then again by removing this power from congress could give the executive the power it needs to unilaterally enact these programs it would also give the executive the power it needs to unilaterally cut these programs. Do you think this is a good idea?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Bear in mind that the Atlantic sustains itself in no small part as a medium of persuasion directed toward the powerful. Its ability to indirectly influence broad social discourse has diminished over the decades, but is still way higher than you'd think. The impeachment article will have been held and timed based on some editorial strategy.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Remember how we were talking about which states Dems had to win in 2020 to take the Senate?

https://twitter.com/WaPoSean/status/1086004502078078976

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Impeaching now looks like you're playing politics in response to the shutdown. And it would be, since waiting for the Mueller Report has been everyone's green light already anyway

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Pence is a nightmarish shithead who should be kept as far away from high office as possible, but I doubt he'll actively work to destroy the United States so that's still a step up from Trump.

I disagree. Pence is a loving theocrat-in-waiting. Give him any real power and he will do more lasting damage than I want to think about.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, actively saying "We're gonna impeach Trump... unless he opens the government" seems like a disastrous unforced error that undermines not only the idea of impeaching Trump but the Democrats' negotiations in general.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/sarahkendzior/status/1084599519738777600?s=21

Someone unnerving thread acknowledging this feeling that the GOP’s behavior right now is pretty death cult-ish.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Retro42 posted:

I disagree. Pence is a loving theocrat-in-waiting. Give him any real power and he will do more lasting damage than I want to think about.
Trump isn't a true believer, but he's still trying to do the exact same things at the direction of Pence and his "spiritual leaders."

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

karthun posted:

It would be a constitutional amendment to remove the power of the purse. But then again by removing this power from congress could give the executive the power it needs to unilaterally enact these programs it would also give the executive the power it needs to unilaterally cut these programs. Do you think this is a good idea?

I'm saying revise congressional budget procedures so congress can pass legislation that can have permanent set appropriations without it being fully paid for.

So to clarify to make sure I understand right, things like medicare don't need to have congress vote for appropriating the budget for it each year, because it's an entitlement and the amount is guaranteed (unless they intentionally pass a law to cut appropriations). Whereas something like the ACA needs congress to approve the appropriations each year?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Crows Turn Off posted:

Trump isn't a true believer, but he's still trying to do the exact same things at the direction of Pence and his "spiritual leaders."

Think of it this way. President Trump shutdown the government over a stupid wall even his own party doesn’t want. Pence would do it over planned parenthood or something similar and the entire GOP would love him for it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Retro42 posted:

Nah, he would run into the same problem Trump has been since January 3rd. House Dems wouldn't let him do anything substantial.

The only real risk would be if Ginsberg dies during his term, in which case he might nominate a theocratic fascist to SCOTUS. But at this point that's a risk I'd be willing to take.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Retro42 posted:

Think of it this way. President Trump shutdown the government over a stupid wall even his own party doesn’t want. Pence would do it over planned parenthood or something similar and the entire GOP would love him for it.
I don't think Pence would have shutdown the government at all, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Please no Pence, for a million reasons, one of which is I'd look terrible in a handmaid bonnet.

:laffo: at Devos breaking her butt, though.

In conclusion, feminism in Trump's America is a land of contrasts.