Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

phasmid posted:

So is Skarsgard going to be the baron? He seems like he could play a lot of characters, but I really like him as a villain. Either way, they're casting some great people.

All of the cast announcements are coming with their character so far.

Skarsgard - baron

Bautista - Rabban

Chalomet - paul.

Jessica - cant remember name

Reverend Mother Mohaim - cant remember her name but was just announced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm sorry, I'm shaking and sweating from how good the casting is getting. Charlotte Rampling and Skarsgaard HOLY gently caress

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

basic hitler posted:

All of the cast announcements are coming with their character so far.

Skarsgard - baron

Bautista - Rabban

Chalomet - paul.

Jessica - cant remember name

Reverend Mother Mohaim - cant remember her name but was just announced

Charlotte motherfuckin rampling

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

sebmojo posted:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

sebmojo posted:

Charlotte reverendmotherfuckin rampling

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Elissimpark posted:

sebmojo posted:

Charlotte reverendmotherfuckin rampling

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sebmojo posted:

I feel like the only person who has zero idea who she is.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

No, you're not the only one.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Why would you post like this and bring about enhanced scrutiny of yourself, it's loving suicide. if you so much as move your hand to the reply button I will jab your neck with this gom jabbar and you'll be dead before you hit the floor you goddamned animal

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

She was in Zardoz.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Randarkman posted:

She was in Zardoz.

That's some fuckin grade A Bene Gesserit cred right there.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Is this a thing like when everyone pretended to have known who Grimes was this whole time

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Is ramp a ling like when charyone lottended to ramp lown who Grimes was this whole charlotterampling

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Is ramp a ling like when charyone lottended to ramp lown who Grimes was this whole charlotterampling

bah weep granah weep ninny baug

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Communist Walrus posted:

Is this a thing like when everyone pretended to have known who Grimes was this whole time

Have you not seen Zardoz yet? You're in for a treat.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

The Bloop posted:

bah weep granah weep ninny baug

It's bong, dude, you're gonna start a war or scharlotterampling

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
She was also in the Mill and the Cross, I just recognized. That was a good movie.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

It's bong, dude, you're gonna start a war or scharlotterampling

just my Quinticon accent

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Zardoz is basically the butlerian jihad.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Spazzle posted:

Zardoz is basically the butlerian jihad.

The gun is good. The high-tech dildo is evil.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ratatozsk posted:

The gun is good. The high-tech dildo is evil.

If the fremen didn’t wear shields because of the worms why didn’t missile weapons become a thing with them again?

:thunk:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
this is gonna own so much

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

sebmojo posted:

jodorowsky wanted to cast her back in the 70s as jessica

quote:

"Jodorowsky was looking for who was going to play Jessica, and he wanted a strong, beautiful woman, not a weak dainty woman. Someone with a real spiritual strength. He saw a movie with Charlotte Rampling, and thought she would be perfect. They sent Charlotte Rampling the script, and she agreed to meet with Jodo before she had read the script, and in the script, there is a scene where a character named Rabban the Beast, part of the Harkonnen army. In order to insult Duke Leto, David Carradine, Rabban the Beast gets his army, the Algerian army, to pull down their pants in front of the palace and poo poo. So there’s going to be a scene of 2,000 extras defecating at once. So here’s Charlotte Rampling, she agrees to meet with Jodo, she gets the script, she reads the script, and she says, “I can’t be in a movie where there’s 2,000 extras defecating on screen! I need to be in a movie that people are actually going to see! Who the hell is going to see this movie?” Jodo said, “It was a great disappointment for me. A great disappointment.” It’s kind of fantastic."
dune is her favorite book too: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p009n0wg

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Schadenboner posted:

If the fremen didn’t wear shields because of the worms why didn’t missile weapons become a thing with them again?

:thunk:

They sometimes carry firearms for specific missions but usually the Harkonnens are shielded. They don't often try to engage the Fremen on the ground if it can be helped, preferring to strafe them from aircraft.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I think a lot of the recent optimism is forgetting that KJA and the Whoreson Brian are involved.

It will be bad, as is all so-called “Dune” Content other than the 6+1.

HTH?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

phasmid posted:

They sometimes carry firearms for specific missions but usually the Harkonnens are shielded. They don't often try to engage the Fremen on the ground if it can be helped, preferring to strafe them from aircraft.

I meant more in their own dueling culture. It’s like, personal missile weapons (handguns) became a thing because personal armor could be easily pierced by them. So it seems like in the hundreds/thousands of years the Fremen lived on Arrakis they would have re-evolved guns?

:shrug:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

I think a lot of the recent optimism is forgetting that KJA and the Whoreson Brian are involved.

It will be bad, as is all so-called “Dune” Content other than the 6+1.

HTH?

I don't know. I'm kind of optimistic about this one, because this is actually a case where remaking (or more accurately making another attempt at an adaptation) is a good idea, because the old movie was decidedly not a good movie. I'll grant it that it has alot of interesting visuals and art design (except the decision to have the Fremen pretty much be a bunch of white guys in wetsuits), but drat if it isn't a messy, boring piece of poo poo.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Schadenboner posted:

I meant more in their own dueling culture. It’s like, personal missile weapons (handguns) became a thing because personal armor could be easily pierced by them. So it seems like in the hundreds/thousands of years the Fremen lived on Arrakis they would have re-evolved guns?

I think their duelling was based on melee combat because the style of the time was to fight with shields. So the Fremen kept their abilities sharp in case they had to fight with the slower style. As for guns, I dunno how cowboy the Fremen would have gotten. Maybe it has to do with them fighting duels in caves, so you'd not want a bunch of bullets ricocheting off every wall, ruining your stillsuits and punching holes in your qanats.

By the time Leto II is born, they're already winding down from their warrior ways and soon get supplanted by his new all-woman army. When Idaho meets the Fremen centuries later they're basically a bunch of people who live on small conservatories eking out a meager existence. Most of them have never even seen a real crysknife, let alone ridden a worm.

Schadenboner posted:

Whoreson Brian

Whoa, whoa, slow your roll, friendo. Brian is a dogshit writer but Frank loved his mother and said she was the inspiration for a lot of his stuff.

We can be hopeful for the movie without being optimistic.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
Well, they had maula pistols (mauler in the original galach)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Schadenboner posted:

They did have "maula pistols," but I mean, what the gently caress are the Fremen going to shoot? The books seem to suggest that most of why a Fremen is so loving hard is because of the effects of living in such a difficult environment rather than their elite tactical operator skills and loadout from Sietch Milindcomplex.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

phasmid posted:

Whoa, whoa, slow your roll, friendo. Brian is a dogshit writer but Frank loved his mother and said she was the inspiration for a lot of his stuff.

I mean, it’s not like I called Brian a “Whoregrandson” or something?

phasmid posted:

We can be hopeful for the movie without being optimistic.

First step on the road to disappointment.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 18, 2019

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, it’s not like I called Brian a “Whoregrandson” or something?

Sorry, I meant "his wife, Brian's mother". I just like to think the nurse switched the bassinets. The true heir is out somewhere, far from the folk of pan and graben.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

it’s probably already been said but it would be neat if they got Kyle MacLachlan to cameo as fenring

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

jodorowsky wanted to cast her back in the 70s as jessica

quote:

Who the hell is going to see this movie?

I guess she hadn't heard of him.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

free hubcaps posted:

it’s probably already been said but it would be neat if they got Kyle MacLachlan to cameo as fenring

Ahhhm. Uhhhm. Mmmm. Indeed.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

phasmid posted:

Sorry, I meant "his wife, Brian's mother". I just like to think the nurse switched the bassinets. The true heir is out somewhere, far from the folk of pan and graben.

The correct term is 'abomination.'

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

free hubcaps posted:

No, Duke Leto. :getin:

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
I hope dune fan Susan Sarandon gets in somehow.

Do you guys think @duneauthor will make them name drop lord cybertrex 9000 in the opening monologue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

adebisi lives posted:

I hope dune fan Susan Sarandon gets in somehow.

Do you guys think @duneauthor will make them name drop lord cybertrex 9000 in the opening monologue?

She could be the body of Jamis, but only if they actually kill her and return her water to the tribe in the process of getting the shot.