Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

duz posted:

For more details, it was originally a sequel to a movie he did in 1966 so it was more of a contractual thing than a serious thing. For serious casting they asked Arnold Schwarzenegger, Richard Gere, Clint Eastwood, Burt Reynolds, Sylvester Stallone, Harrison Ford, Don Johnson, Nick Nolte, Mel Gibson and Richard Dean Anderson.

Wasn't there some commotion over casting Willis because he was "the Moonlighting guy?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

I cannot understate how bad this is. It looks like the old guy dodged all three punches.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.
Sam's Strip

Ye Olde Foxtrot 04/24/88 - Siskel and Ebert give "Flesh Eaters from Hell" Two Thumbs Up, but disagreed on "Bondage Zombies from Mars"

Tarzan

Glorified Scrivener fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 19, 2019

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Glorified Scrivener posted:

Ye Olde Foxtrot 04/22/88 - Siskel and Ebert give "Flesh Eaters from Hell" Two Thumbs Up, but disagreed on "Bondage Zombies from Mars"

Holy poo poo, that opening panel throwaway gag.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Holy poo poo, Jamal is doing some stand-out stuff. I don't remember the last time I've been that shocked by a strip.

The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Vargo posted:

please red and rover it for me.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 17, 2019

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Samovar posted:

please red and rover it for me.
Adding color to black and white films was seen as an atrocity by some people.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Darthemed posted:

Correctly, because it looks like poo poo.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Samovar posted:

please red and rover me.
It's a row of classic black-and-white movies that receives the addition of the colorized version of another classic black-and-white movie. The obvious joke is that colorizing black-and-white movies and putting them on the same level as the authentic classics is the beginning of the end for them. However, the phrase "there goes the neighborhood" is commonly understood to stem from a context where "undesirables" move into an established real-life neighborhood, mostly rendered "undesirable" to the established inhabitants by way of their skin colour. As such, it invokes issues of racism at least subconsciously, which is perhaps an unfortunate parallel to draw to the area of movie colorization where the "establishment" is commonly seen as worth preserving unchanged and the "colored newcomers" as undesired; but maybe Amend, in a roundabout way, actually does want it to be read as "hey, colorizing the classics is okay, they're still the classics, no need to get all huffy about it."

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

Vargo posted:

Yeah I cringed...

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's a row of classic black-and-white movies that receives the addition of the colorized version of another classic black-and-white movie. The obvious joke is that colorizing black-and-white movies and putting them on the same level as the authentic classics is the beginning of the end for them. However, the phrase "there goes the neighborhood" is commonly understood to stem from a context where "undesirables" move into an established real-life neighborhood, mostly rendered "undesirable" to the established inhabitants by way of their skin colour. As such, it invokes issues of racism at least subconsciously, which is perhaps an unfortunate parallel to draw to the area of movie colorization where the "establishment" is commonly seen as worth preserving unchanged and the "colored newcomers" as undesired; but maybe Amend, in a roundabout way, actually does want it to be read as "hey, colorizing the classics is okay, they're still the classics, no need to get all huffy about it."

Agreed, but it's a 30 year old strip, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. We'll see how the rest of the 80's and early 90's strips are.

Glorified Scrivener fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 17, 2019

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

Looks like they're doing a thing for Popeye's 90th birthday.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

please replace with sluggo faces

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

...Didn't they basically just tweet "90% of rabbits have an infectious disease that kills one in twenty people who get infected by it"? Good job standing up for the rabbit community I guess :stare:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
This is a world where systemic parasites are potentially beneficial.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the middle panel :3:

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Darthemed posted:

Well, that, and the box is thinking "there goes the neighborhood" when that film is put on the shelf because the "coloreds" moved in

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I cast thee out, depression!

Andy Capp

December 6, 1957

"I don't get it! He was sayin' 'ow balmy 'is Florrie was - and all I did was agree!"

Heathcliff Old and New

Ballard Street

October 23, 2002

Outbursts of Everett True

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Jamal went there. I mean it was being telegraphed and I was just hoping something else would happen.

Whiplash to, lol loving Holbrook.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

StrixNebulosa posted:

"Race suicide" :crossarms:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Haifisch posted:

"Race suicide" :crossarms:

It's the idea that humans are screwing up the planet or something similar so we need to destroy ourselves - stop having kids, etc.

I think.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The voluntary human extinction movement is still a thing.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

StrixNebulosa posted:

I cast thee out, depression!

The idea that Mr. and Mrs. True have two kids is absolutely amazing. I don't ever recall them appearing in print.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

The idea that Mr. and Mrs. True have two kids is absolutely amazing. I don't ever recall them appearing in print.

Yeah I was going to ask have we ever seen them. I know there's a fair few with his wife, but I can't remember seeing either of his children

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

rannum posted:

Yeah I was going to ask have we ever seen them. I know there's a fair few with his wife, but I can't remember seeing either of his children

We saw the girl a couple of days ago, in the one in which the young girl is coatless and shivering while Mrs. True is wearing a heavy coat.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
jesus christ i'm still reeling at that jamal

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

TofuDiva posted:

We saw the girl a couple of days ago, in the one in which the young girl is coatless and shivering while Mrs. True is wearing a heavy coat.

That was Mrs True & his daughter? I thought it was just him & another family leaving at about the same time. Guess I didn't remember what Mrs. True looked like

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I don't think it was. Mrs. True is often shown as the only person who can out-outburst him.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Maybe his children just kind of faded away without explanation later, like Chuck Cunningham from Happy Days or that one sister who disappeared on Family Matters.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Nope nope nope I had to read the rest of Jamal because gently caress that noise.

I wish there was more to this comic, I really like it!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Yeah I had to read ahead for Jamal too

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i just read jamal ahead too, what a good comic.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If you decide to skip ahead this all goes down in the November, 2018 strips.

I got my hopes up with the lack of blood between the shot fired, ambulance, and hospital scene.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jesus this thread's starting out strong this year. I all can offer is this garbage.

The Dinette Set should have paid attention.

Working Daze reminds you of other, better comics.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix gives us this year's first appearance of an old friend of the thread.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Working Daze had to have made that joke already.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'd honestly be shocked if it didn't.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I swear I remember one where the characters are drawn Peanuts-style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze reminds you of other, better comics.

Five. Lucy charges five cents for psychiatric help. :cripes: