Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

It was far cheaper for me to put a regular tire on the inexplicably full-size temporary-use spare wheel when I shredded it on my Ranger, due to extreme age.

Having done that, I still wouldn't proactively replace a spare that isn't part of my tire rotation. I'd just treat it as a tool to maybe avoid a tow to a tire shop.

I had one that was more than 20 years old on my Mercedes, and as much as I wanted to keep the original for posterity, it didn't seem wise for road trips. That was a full-size (alloy!) wheel & tire though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Shift knob on my 3 is coming apart. Any reason to get something special or should I just get an OEM one? Pretty much any Mazda one will fit.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
I’m using a JBR knob. Personally I like the added weight it has over the stock knob.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Cobb knob doesn't get painfully hot to the touch, which matters a ton during the summer.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
My Mazda dealership parked my car in the sun after doing some research on the work and didn't put my sunshade in the windshield. I got a nice circular burn on my palm when I went to prove away. This is with the OEM shift knob.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Any suggestions for rear swaybar links for a MS3?

I have the Corksport swaybar installed, I want to say historically it has eaten RSB links. Currently have Moogs installed but I want to say my brother had reported they went without clunking for about a week after installation before resuming.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Probably just get OEM and replace them when they start clunking, IMO. They're easier to install than Moogs, too.

I have Moogs, I still hear clunking. Maybe its m bushings all failing, but endlinks seem to be a very common thing.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Don’t want to jinx myself but the light’s gone off and I haven’t even been able to run the cleaner yet. Hoping that’s a sign it wasn’t too serious :shrug:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

So I'm about to do the AA/AP upgrade on my 2014 and have a dumb question: I'm in the sweet spot for my original equipment battery to die just by sheer age. Should I replace it before doing the procedure or will having a trickle charger hooked up the whole time be enough to hedge my bets?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Fabulousity posted:

So I'm about to do the AA/AP upgrade on my 2014 and have a dumb question: I'm in the sweet spot for my original equipment battery to die just by sheer age. Should I replace it before doing the procedure or will having a trickle charger hooked up the whole time be enough to hedge my bets?

Factory docs suggest a trickle charger. The software update to v70 is the most annoying part of the upgrade and requires the car in accessory mode for over an hour.

azazello
Dec 26, 2008
I recently got a 2019 CX-5 to supplement my MS3 for family transportation purposes. I got the turbo model, Grand Touring Reserve, and it is glorious. It's basically an all around grown up version of my MS3. It was assembled just two months ago in Hiroshima. I love the turbo, the carplay, the HUD, the steering and suspension feel, the two-tone interior, butt heaters, butt coolers, the twitchy blind spot monitors, even the 5 degrees of extra recline in the rear seats. I cross-shopped this with the 2019 Acura RDX (and read about a bunch of other boring crossovers) and frankly I'm very glad that I waited for the turbo CX-5. This is Mazda's breadwinner and the crux of their "going upmarket" strategy. I think people are going to be very happy with it. I can't wait for the tires to wear out so I can upgrade them.

I mean, I wish I could get this same package of a car as an electric (and not have a big pain in the rear end charging it) but until the next purchase cycle, I'll try to fight global warming in some other way. Gas mileage is not great, but is pretty much in line with the EPA estimate (22-26 mpg so far). It doesn't have 360 panoramic camera with parking sensors (even the Signature trim's execution of that feature sucks) or a kick activated liftgate, but yeah I'm getting spoiled by this car.

Apparently Car and Driver got this car to do 0-60 in 6.2s. Which is basically in line with the MS3 :aaa: Now, it won't take a corner the way my MS3 can, but that's probably a good thing and a hint for me.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Geoj posted:

Any suggestions for rear swaybar links for a MS3?

I have the Corksport swaybar installed, I want to say historically it has eaten RSB links. Currently have Moogs installed but I want to say my brother had reported they went without clunking for about a week after installation before resuming.

Whiteline? Generally they are a little sturdier to handle larger swaybars. I get pretty decent pricing on WL if you want to try a set.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
So I broke 70k mi this week and realized it might be time for decarbing the intake valves. How much should I worry about doing this soon?

e: it’s a ‘12 MS3

hattersmad fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 3, 2019

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

hattersmad posted:

So I broke 70k mi this week and realized it might be time for decarbing the intake valves. How much should I worry about doing this soon?

e: it’s a ‘12 MS3

At 70k, your intake valves are going to look like they're covered in incinerated marshmallows. Mine were awful at 30k as I recall.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I'm at 80k+ and have a fear, in the back of my head, that I'll need to do that soon. I'll probably get an egr block off plate, oil catch can, and go ahead and finally buy a Cobb AP when I get around to media blasting the intake valves.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

After 31k miles the garbage Dunlops on my '16 3s GT were about shot. Looking at Tire Rack, the General AS-05s seemed like the best bang for the buck. Got them put on this morning and they're definitely quieter than the Dunlops. Not sure about snow / ice traction which the Dunlops rate terribly on but I never had a huge problem with. Headed skiing next week so hopefully I'll be able to update about that. Mainly happy with the road noise reduction -- those OEM Dunlops were by far the loudest tires I've ever driven on.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Yeah I'm in the middle of a 2000km roadtrip on very coarse chip roads and tyre noise is a pretty big issue on my '16 SP25 with the stock 18"s. Kind of unfortunate how good wear is on them, looks like I'll have them a while longer yet (31,000km and they're like half worn)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Noise aside the car is great for these type of roads, the G-Vectoring system is subtle but noticeably improves how the car feels on the windy stuff and ride quality is pretty good for something with dumb 18" wheels. Trip average so far is about 7l/100km (33.6mpg) which isn't as good as rated but pretty good considering the terrain.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I've got an opportunity to buy a 2000 Miata for $2k. 100k miles, needs a new top, maybe new seat, clutch, and brakes. Friend got it from his mother-in-law in hopes of fixing it up for his wife but she blew out her knee and can't drive a standard anymore. Pretty sure there are no known gotchas like a failing engine or transmission.

Any reasons why this would be a bad idea?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've got an opportunity to buy a 2000 Miata for $2k. 100k miles, needs a new top, maybe new seat, clutch, and brakes. Friend got it from his mother-in-law in hopes of fixing it up for his wife but she blew out her knee and can't drive a standard anymore. Pretty sure there are no known gotchas like a failing engine or transmission.

do eeeet

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

We have a Miata thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2651683

If the timing belt hasn't been done, you'll need to do that. Look for rust, especially in the rocker panels. Valve cover gaskets tend to leak so you'll need to look for that as well.

Otherwise, $2k can be a solid price if nothing serious is wrong with it.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
A year later and I still love my Mazda 2. Rowing in traffic is a chore sometimes but it's worth it to plonk into second and go-kart around everyone at 30mph.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

mariooncrack posted:

We have a Miata thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2651683

If the timing belt hasn't been done, you'll need to do that. Look for rust, especially in the rocker panels. Valve cover gaskets tend to leak so you'll need to look for that as well.

Otherwise, $2k can be a solid price if nothing serious is wrong with it.

Miata's can be polarizing and I got a 100% hostile reaction from spouse, family, and friends while we were all together drinking after a memorial service. To the extent that my wife kept bringing up very expensive cars I should get instead of a Miata. I was hoping everyone's opinions would moderate over the weekend but they did not.

Looks like I'll be aiming for a vintage Beetle for a project car to scratch that convertible itch. :(

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

Miata's can be polarizing and I got a 100% hostile reaction from spouse, family, and friends while we were all together drinking after a memorial service. To the extent that my wife kept bringing up very expensive cars I should get instead of a Miata. I was hoping everyone's opinions would moderate over the weekend but they did not.

Looks like I'll be aiming for a vintage Beetle for a project car to scratch that convertible itch. :(

Who gives a poo poo what they think?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Who gives a poo poo what they think?

Friends and family sure. Who gives a poo poo. Wife is a little different; I have to live with her. The irony is safety was one of their concerns and Miata's have 4 star safety ratings, but they have no problem with me buying a '78 Beetle for whom crash safety is no more than a hopeful wish.

Like I said, she was pointing out brand new sports cars that she'd have no problem with me buying. If I was trying to trick her into letting me get a Challenger or a Mustang I would have been golden. I kept trying to explain that I like slow cars that think they're fast. I wouldn't know what to do with a fast car. And yeah, I know Miata's can be fast, but not the way I'd drive them.

:sigh:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Jalopnik got to drive around the new 3 sedan over the weekend.

It sounds like cabin noise has been significantly reduced and the switch to a torsion bar suspension in the rear didn't hamper things very much. The author also made a few mildly interesting comments in regards to more power:

quote:

I told the CEO of Mazda North America the most requested thing about the Mazda 3 from our readers was a turbo AWD manual hatchback to his face, and he smiled and said, “oh really?”

So if it happens now, you’re welcome.

quote:

Anytime anybody brought up performance pitches, the Mazda folks got coy. I suspect they have something planned that they think will satisfy people who miss Mazdaspeed. Not sure what it is, I just hope it’s enough.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I get people wanting AWD because Subaru/Focus RS or whatever, but I really don't see the point nor would I personally want to take the fuel economy hit. And also I don't live somewhere that snows.

Torque steer on the MS3 is fun and good, and if they're going to change the drivetrain it either needs to be RWD or FWD with electric rear motors.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

That's a really excellent looking interior in spite of the screen sticking up out of the dash. The sedan also looks way better than the hatch which is a first, but I just can't get on board with the huge expanse of steel on the back of the hatch.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Looks like the magic space engine won’t be available in the 2019 3s in the states: https://jalopnik.com/heres-why-the-2019-mazda-3-doesnt-have-the-holy-grail-s-1832129296

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

With how X operates I'd expect they're going to run into emissions issues that'll take some time to work through for the states. Same reason D took so long to arrive and when it did was significantly less economical than in other markets.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
So the left rear shock mount on my 2011 3 hatchback broke today after a surprise pavement break. Anyone have experience with these going south? Is it OK just to replace the mount? The car's 8 years old and 85K miles, the shocks haven't felt worn.

edit: replaced both mounts and shocks. $400 out the door at my local mechanic. Could have been worse. :shobon:

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 31, 2019

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

My conspiracy theory: They can't get SkyactivX to meet U.S. emissions standards so they're rushing to slam the turbo 2.5 SkyactivG into the top end Mazda3s that'll land in the U.S. mass market and they'll call it the "signature" trim level.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
They're going to call it the GTR. Anything else would be sacrelige.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Charles posted:

They're going to call it the GTR. Anything else would be sacrelige.

Regardless of name if it happens it's gonna drink Subaru's and VW's milkshake and everyone who can see past that C-pillar is gonna love it.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Why does my local dealership want over 400 dollars for a replacement shift knob for my 2011 Mazda3?

More like stealership am I rite?

But really what the gently caress.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Considering you can probably go on eBay and find a gently-used or aftermarket replacement for 10% of that cost, absolutely.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Previa_fun posted:

Why does my local dealership want over 400 dollars for a replacement shift knob for my 2011 Mazda3?

I ended up buying this one, total was a little over $100 with shipping and all that, took about 2.5weeks from the UK I think.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Mazda-3-03-08-Mazda-6-05-07-Gear-Knob-piano-Black-BP4K-V8-17/360898331414

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Previa_fun posted:

Buy a cobb knob or something else.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Lifetime alignment yea/nay? About 94-95k miles now so probably a dumb question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
I’ve never had issues with cars keeping alignment, maybe I’m just lucky. Pretty sure ‘lifetime alignment’ is just a dealer up-sell.

For reference I drove my MS3 around for 5 years through all kinds of conditions. Took it in for an alignment, and everything was still within spec. Dude just adjusted the steering wheel slightly.