Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Is there a reason they picked such a nightmare state to retire to? I know someone who moved out there because they like climbing, caving, skiing and they can telework and live like a king (relatively speaking - its still WV) But other than that very specific reason I don’t see the appeal.

My mom is talking about moving to one of the Carolinas when she retires. It's her choice, of course, but I kinda hope she changes her mind.

Carolina dog tax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Too Shy Guy posted:

Jack talks like he has a chip in his brain that kicks in on a delay to stop him from answering questions like a human.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kthHrC88K7c

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Retro42 posted:

At least we can all agree that both Trump and Pence are garbage. The real problem is that literally any other GOP stooge will look decent when put up against Trump as the predecessor.

i think trump has hosed the GOP nationally for at least a decade.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
You would do opioids too if your only choices in life was to work at Joe Manchin's Wing Palace or fight underground for the right to marry the daughter of the coal goblin emperor.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Slo-Tek posted:

Isn't the vast majority of WV getting high off Oxy and Vikes that medicaid pays for? Need to build a wall around the publicly traded drug companies in Connecticut.

yeah opiates and fentanyl, opiates which are legal but regulated in the united states and fentanyl which comes from china in packages and is very hard to interdict

Crow Jane posted:

My mom is talking about moving to one of the Carolinas when she retires. It's her choice, of course, but I kinda hope she changes her mind.

the north carolina mountains are pretty alright. asheville is one of the most left wing towns in america

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Arrgytehpirate posted:

My governor is a loving idiot. I hate my state and I especially loathe this piece of poo poo

https://twitter.com/wvgovernor/status/1085631057477754880?s=21

Buddy, a wall ain't gonna do poo poo when most drugs come over through ports of entry.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

karthun posted:

Both Medicare and the ACA are permanent. Medicare is permanently funded through its FICA taxes. The ACA is permanently funded through a 0.9% tax on income and a 3.8% tax on unearned income over 200k if single or 250k if married and cuts to the Medicare privatization program of Medicare Advantage. CHIP on the other hand requires annular spending and can be removed at any time.

The question of how can you have permanent set appropriations? The answer is the tax system, either by having a dedicated tax go to pay for the program every year or you have a refundable tax credit, like the EITC. There is your answer. If you want another get a constitutional amendment but make sure you do drat good job or you might end up making it so that the executive can unilaterally cut spending on things they don't want and unilaterally increase spending on things they do.

So what you're saying is under the current system, if we want M4A to be an entitlement, the CBO has to basically score it that the combination of expenditures and revenue streams would be such that there would be no net cost.

Is that right?

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 17, 2019

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Crow Jane posted:

Carolina dog tax:

Yea but the Carolinas have cool places like Raleigh, Ashville, or Charleston. Ive actually thought about moving there myself for the cheaper cost of living.

West Virginia is Appalachia beauty (well the mountains that are not destroyed by mountain top removal) surrounded by a sea of racism and abject poverty. No thanks.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

Buddy, a wall ain't gonna do poo poo when most drugs come over through ports of entry.

Also the drug crisis in WV and OH is mostly caused by prescription abuse, not illegal drugs flowing into the country.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Subtle knife twist, Melania

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1086013205040771072

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Remember when Birdsite Jack talked about what a mind altering expereience it was to have his legs fall asleep in some Africa country.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Does not cosponsorship man you oppose it? I thought lots of bills that eventually pass have just a few sponsors

Since this bill isn't going to get a vote, if you want to signal your support for a $15 wage cosponsoring it is the only option.

In fairness, the ones who didn't cosponsor it might just be too stupid to have figured out how Mitch McConnell operates yet, and they still think they'll be voting on a bill Republicans definitely don't want to be forced to vote on.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Is there a reason they picked such a nightmare state to retire to? I know someone who moved out there because they like climbing, caving, skiing and they can telework and live like a king (relatively speaking - its still WV) But other than that very specific reason I don’t see the appeal.

It was six hours from both families and they wanted four seasons. I similarly hosed up and came back here after the army when I should have gone literally anywhere else and now I’m stuck because it’s an economic hellhole that is impossible to escape from. Thanks for coming to my ted talk

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Do you like trees? There are a lot of trees there.

It's not a bad state, people give it tons of poo poo in this thread. It's just very poor.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Impeachment doesn't do jack unless they can bring down Pence as well

While a GOP Senate may convict Trump (not likely, but non-zero), they will never convict Pence

This is one of those hyperbolic things that is hard to debate because I don't know what it is saying.

"doesn't do jack"...in what sense? In the sense that the Republican Party will still have and be able to execute the same policies under Pence? That the Republican Party will have the same electoral success under Pence as with Trump? That the long term social and political trends in the United States (and the rest of the world) would not change after Trump is removed from office? All three of those are different cases to be made, but "doesn't do jack" seems like a pretty ridiculous thing to say about a president being removed from office.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

karthun posted:

The need to permanently fund certain government programs has never been about having the cash to spend the money but instead on how to avoid a future congress from reappropriating the funding during the annular budget markup. Its to solve a political problem, not a financial one. I see all opposition to permanently pay for a green new deal as opposition to the permanent existence of a green new deal, same with M4A.

The GOP is almost entirely aligned with climate denial and the fossil fuel industry.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

glowing-fish posted:

This is one of those hyperbolic things that is hard to debate because I don't know what it is saying.

"doesn't do jack"...in what sense? In the sense that the Republican Party will still have and be able to execute the same policies under Pence? That the Republican Party will have the same electoral success under Pence as with Trump? That the long term social and political trends in the United States (and the rest of the world) would not change after Trump is removed from office? All three of those are different cases to be made, but "doesn't do jack" seems like a pretty ridiculous thing to say about a president being removed from office.

"It is you who is owned" - Trump as he's led away in handcuffs

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I’m not quoting everyone but yes most of our opioid abuse started with pills.

20.8 million pills were shipped to two pharmacies in a town for 2900 people.

Our AG gave them a sweetheart deal.

In some good news though meth is starting to outpace opioids because it’s so much cheaper

Kale
May 14, 2010

Eltoasto posted:

The left got a slow start on youtube and twitch due to the popular youtubers moving from anti-religion to anti-sjw and now anti-sjw with alt right flavoring, but it's now growing pretty strong. Outrage style content has a shelf life, so the anti-sjw folks will move on eventually. I've watched Hasan Piker from the Young Turks go from a few viewers to ~2500 in the span of 6 months on twitch, while generally just making GBS threads on right wingers and talking communism. Destiny is a socdem at best, but has 8-15k viewers and spends his time going into the vile right wing areas of the internet and debating them to rescue people, and he's very good at it.

The right really did a great job of boosting each other, which the left hasn't been doing until recently. But it's doing it now, and it's been nice to watch it grow. A lot of catching up to do still, but i definitely see a change in how people act there. Previously people linking shitheads like Sargon would go unchallenged, but now they get called out on it. The white fragility safe spaces are shrinking, so expect the "Gamers" to lash out whenever they can, like their silly objections to the latest Gilette ad.

E: figured i would link some of my fave leftish youtubes:
three arrows
Shaun
Cuck Philosophy
Innuendo
And Contrapoints, the queen
I'm sure there are many others I haven't discovered yet

What gets me is how directly oppositional and polarized to anything they deem the work of "SJWs" the "gamers" are. They feel threatened by inclusiveness and diversity in games and game design so they have to have these total meltdowns if a game so much as prominently features a female character or non white character and the former isnt some fan service icon or something. Their perspective just seems totally warped and illogical and that they really should consider another hobby if the reality that non white people and women exist in media drives them this insane. If they actually had it their way games would die out as a thing too since like all media they kind of rely on occasional innovation and broadening their audiences in order to sustain growth.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Too Shy Guy posted:

Jack talks like he has a chip in his brain that kicks in on a delay to stop him from answering questions like a human.

He's a Silicon Valley "Liberterian", so yeah

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

karthun posted:

It would be a constitutional amendment to remove the power of the purse. But then again by removing this power from congress could give the executive the power it needs to unilaterally enact these programs it would also give the executive the power it needs to unilaterally cut these programs. Do you think this is a good idea?

You don't have to give the power of the purse to the executive (and that would be a ridiculously bad move). You simply rule that federal budgets continue at their current level (+inflation) for most or all programs until they are overriden by the passage of another budget. Basically automatic continuing resolutions (you'd need to get rid of the debt ceiling, too).

It's been discussed before, but didn't pass because everyone loves pretending that holding federal employees hostage somehow promotes "fiscal responsibility". Also Republicans love the power that comes with sadism.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Maybe Melania is giving Pelosi a lift.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Yea but the Carolinas have cool places like Raleigh, Ashville, or Charleston. Ive actually thought about moving there myself for the cheaper cost of living.

West Virginia is Appalachia beauty (well the mountains that are not destroyed by mountain top removal) surrounded by a sea of racism and abject poverty. No thanks.

Raleigh is pretty and I could even retire on my SS if I lived there.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Grapplejack posted:

Do you like trees? There are a lot of trees there.

It's not a bad state, people give it tons of poo poo in this thread. It's just very poor.

It's going to be voting for Trumpbot 9000 long after goddamn Texas has turned blue.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

theblackw0lf posted:

So what you're saying is under the current system, if we want M4A to be an entitlement, the CBO has to basically score it that the combination of expenditures and revenue streams would be such that there would be no net cost.

Is that right?

Pretty much, but It actually needs to have a slightly higher income because you want there to exist a trust fund that the agency can use for periods of high expenditures or low revenue. Income will drop during a recession but expenditures will stay the same.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Arrgytehpirate posted:

In some good news though meth is starting to outpace opioids because it’s so much cheaper

Hell yeah score one for the small businessman.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Too Shy Guy posted:

A lot of people come off that way when responding to high risk or otherwise adverse questioning. Recognizing a trap is much easier than smoothly pivoting or talking your way out of it, particularly when you're being interviewed by someone who knows what they are doing.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

VideoGameVet posted:

Raleigh is pretty and I could even retire on my SS if I lived there.

NC's Outer Banks are magical and I would totally retire there if I thought they would still exist in 30 years.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/MSDeptofRevenue/status/1085998555398107138

Also that’s a 43:1 ratio.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

I'm sure he wants to ban her but it would too obviously give the game away to even the centrists

Jack agrees with a lot of the shittier people on his website. It's why he let Alex Jones stay for so long until Jones told people that he had Jack's blessing.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

DrNutt posted:

As a Type 1 Diabetic this is some horrific poo poo. I'm already a poor so if I had a choice between more debt and not having to ration insulin, I'd take the insulin every time. gently caress the debt, they're not gonna repossess my God drat insulin.

On second thought, writing that out just gives me the willies about how much lower our country could go.

Something I've noticed a lot over the last few years is that the people I know who are doing more or less okay and have something approaching decent employer-based health coverage are the ones who are way, way more terrified of health costs. Like, I've got a very close friend who had a cancer scare last year, and I can't count how many times he said some variation of "I don't know why I'm bothering with these tests, I'm not going to bankrupt myself to fight this." Luckily he turned out to be okay, but I kind of get it. Medical debt is horrifying if you're getting by but not doing phenomenally well because it's a one-way ticket out of a comfortable life.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

karthun posted:

Pretty much, but It actually needs to have a slightly higher income because you want there to exist a trust fund that the agency can use for periods of high expenditures or low revenue. Income will drop during a recession but expenditures will stay the same.

Well that's depressing.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Too Shy Guy posted:

NC's Outer Banks are magical and I would totally retire there if I thought they would still exist in 30 years.

My brother is a meteorologist/climatologist. The Outer Banks is exactly where you don't want to be in even 5-10 years.

And yes, it's a lovely area.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I’m not quoting everyone but yes most of our opioid abuse started with pills.

20.8 million pills were shipped to two pharmacies in a town for 2900 people.

Our AG gave them a sweetheart deal.

A reminder that all opioid prescriptions have to be logged into a national database when they are written and when they are filled.

If the DEA gave a gently caress they could identify the crooked doctors and pharmacies in an afternoon.

This same data is also sold to drug companies, at the zip code level, so they can track sales. They know too.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
By the way if you want to know something that will annoy the general public because of the shutdown, the National Do Not Call List is not in operation right now.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Yeeeeeeee-ikes

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Yeah, if she goes through with it I hope she sticks to one of those places. She's a nice, hippie-ish lady who doesn't have a hateful bone in her body, I hate to think of her spending her golden years in Trumpland.

And umm, if anyone hasn't seen The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia, it's a thing to see.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

sean10mm posted:

It's going to be voting for Trumpbot 9000 long after goddamn Texas has turned blue.

Remember they were regularly blue before that up until the Dems abandoned them, and the state languished. It's possible to get them back by dealing with the issues affecting them and their state.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Everytime WV, Florida, or Alabama try to take that "absolute worst" throne ole Miss manages to bob and weave its way to clinch it again

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Stickman posted:

You don't have to give the power of the purse to the executive (and that would be a ridiculously bad move). You simply rule that federal budgets continue at their current level (+inflation) for most or all programs until they are overriden by the passage of another budget. Basically automatic continuing resolutions (you'd need to get rid of the debt ceiling, too).

It's been discussed before, but didn't pass because everyone loves pretending that holding federal employees hostage somehow promotes "fiscal responsibility". Also Republicans love the power that comes with sadism.

Do you understand that we are trying to remove these programs like M4A from the annular budget? The anti-deficiency act does nothing for you because the new HHS budget can just not have an entry for Medicare.