Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Raldikuk posted:

I'm not 100% positive on that; just that tenured hourly employees can reach that high. I'm basing this info off of this BI article. But even then, they say it is for people who have been there decades, but still, if floor workers can make up to that, that puts every single other establishment to shame.

Of course, this is the big thing... shareholders have been after blood for years trying to get costco to cut wages and benefits. The only reason they haven't is because the current CEO and founder won't have any of it. Once the reigns get passed, expect some serious slashing.

There's no way there are costco hourly store workers making $100k+ a year. The article just says "employees" which I'd bet includes managers and all corporate folks (marketing, accounting, probably all non C-suite) and that they "can get up into the equivalent of mid-$40s to the mid-$50s on an hourly basis over time", not that $50/hr is their actual wage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

guaranteed that's not because ethics but rather a corporate branding decision. CVS can't market itself as a healthy friendly drugstore when they sell cigarettes. :shrug:

e:

yup

yeah, I worked at CVS for a few years in college and they are an astonishingly ruthless company that I suspect intentionally employs a racist upper management. they also specifically seek out areas with high concentrations of poverty and prey on them by selling limited groceries at an incredibly high price and cheap alcoholic beer while paying their employees worse than almost any other place I have encountered

the one I worked at was built straddling the line between a middle-class neighborhood full of teachers, artists, and urban upwardly-mobile types, a one-street neighborhood with million+ dollar houses occupied by bankers and poo poo, and a huge swathe of section 8 housing. by far the most business it did was selling natural ice and doing food stamp transactions with the residents of the subsidized apartments

once we were supposed to give out candy on halloween and my racist manager gave the black kids less and wouldn't give them little toys and straight up did that to my shift managers kids, in front of her. i remember how mad she was but she couldn't do anything because she had just gotten a raise and that had caused her to lose her food stamps so she really needed the job right at that moment

gently caress CVS

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
they're building a costco here and using non-union labor so gently caress em

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Siljmonster posted:

Lmao CVS the only food you sell is candy you gently caress

nah, I used to get milk and eggs at the one near me, plus of course beer

or maybe that was Walgreens? hmm

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

got any sevens posted:

and they bust unions

And a chunk of their employees are employed by a subcontractor that doesn't do any of the nice things the main one does

comedyblissoption posted:

i took a course in software ethics

a lot of the course was dedicated to respecting and obeying the monopoly claims of capitalists over thoughts and ideas through "intellectual property"

ethics as a concept has been twisted to mean respecting rich peoples' rights over charging economic rents on medicine that they hired other people to create or research or received through enormous government subsidy so that people are literally dying lol

We had exactly one lesson in software ethics in college and it was 100% focused on "you will probably have access to other people's private poo poo, don't be a fuckin' weirdo and abuse that power to look at other people's private poo poo" which was nice

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

guaranteed that's not because ethics but rather a corporate branding decision. CVS can't market itself as a healthy friendly drugstore when they sell cigarettes. :shrug:

e:

yup

cigs are also a super low margin item

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

500 good dogs posted:

Microsoft loaning builders money to build 500 houses

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

We had exactly one lesson in software ethics in college and it was 100% focused on "you will probably have access to other people's private poo poo, don't be a fuckin' weirdo and abuse that power to look at other people's private poo poo" which was nice
lol did that college course ever look at what the big tech companies are doing right now

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tab8715 posted:

Not sure if this is the exact place but does anyone have recommending reading on the history of Corporate Ethics?

As in, what are examples where corporations decide to do or not to do something despite profits because it was unethical.

Rockefeller gave an orphan an apple once, therefore capitalism and ethics / compassion go hand in hand.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lol did that college course ever look at what the big tech companies are doing right now

Nah it was a standard CS course, it's just the first day before we got into the actual computer stuff they were like "here's some ethics rules, if a company ever wants you to violate these you should refuse to and explain why you can't, even if it means losing your job!"

Yeah I'm sure everyone'll get right on that

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1085946255140945920

:killing:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

yo

what

e: so like she def just couldn't afford to stop working to go give birth and in a fit of human idiocy decided welp gonna give birth in the bathroom then I guess right

why is bezos alive still

why doesn't some 70+ year old just do the needful loving useless boomers

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

yo

what

e: so like she def just couldn't afford to stop working to go give birth and in a fit of human idiocy decided welp gonna give birth in the bathroom then I guess right

why is bezos alive still

why doesn't some 70+ year old just do the needful loving useless boomers

actually happens all the time, the babies in bathrooms thing

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

This sure sounds like you're blaming her, friend

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shame Boy posted:

This sure sounds like you're blaming her, friend

no i'm not I'm blaming Amazon's lovely labor practices obviously because if they paid her more and didn't treat those people like animals she presumably would have been able to go to the hospital

seems like that was pretty obvious since i insinuated Bezos should be shot

Anyway here's a thing. This was on title for a property out here in California (La Jolla area) in 1927... no longer applies because federal law overrides it but still lol:

my free market

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 19:40 on Jan 17, 2019

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/BurgerKing/status/1085213382192627717?s=19

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

got any sevens posted:

and they bust unions

wait what

i thought they went outta their way to only use the teamsters, unlike walmart

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Moridin920 posted:

Anyway here's a thing. This was on title for a property out here in California (La Jolla area) in 1927... no longer applies because federal law overrides it but still lol:

my free market

Ah, La Jolla. San Diego's own miniature Orange County.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

no i'm not I'm blaming Amazon's lovely labor practices obviously because if they paid her more and didn't treat those people like animals she presumably would have been able to go to the hospital

my free market

Just out of curiosity, is there any valid legal definition in the USA for "Caucasian race"?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

Sorry, just got hung up on the "in a fit of human idiocy" bit :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

Just out of curiosity, is there any valid legal definition in the USA for "Caucasian race"?

Due to an unexpected loophole you're only allowed to own that property if your family has lived at or above the tree line of the caucasus mountains for at least 5 generations

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Moridin920 posted:

my free market

Reagan won his governorship in CA running on keeping homeowner covenants like that legal and keeping blacks from owning guns lol

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Tashilicious posted:

A lot of "Illness: Nerves. Prescription: Booze" going around back then.

Not too different from the MMJ states now really.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shame Boy posted:

Sorry, just got hung up on the "in a fit of human idiocy" bit :shrug:

Yeah fair enough I felt like that might have not come off right. IDK just a fit of like "oh gently caress what do I do my water just broke oh poo poo." Just running on sheer animal instinct and probably not in her right mind (given hormones/pain/etc).

I mean it more of like shame on Amazon for putting their employees in such a position.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

My brothers in navy ROTC and they had an ethics class where the teacher mentioned my lai and he was the only guy in the class that had heard of it

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

note the conspicuous lack of democracy in this decision making

keep your visible hands off my free market

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frog Act posted:

yeah, I worked at CVS for a few years in college and they are an astonishingly ruthless company that I suspect intentionally employs a racist upper management. they also specifically seek out areas with high concentrations of poverty and prey on them by selling limited groceries at an incredibly high price and cheap alcoholic beer while paying their employees worse than almost any other place I have encountered

the one I worked at was built straddling the line between a middle-class neighborhood full of teachers, artists, and urban upwardly-mobile types, a one-street neighborhood with million+ dollar houses occupied by bankers and poo poo, and a huge swathe of section 8 housing. by far the most business it did was selling natural ice and doing food stamp transactions with the residents of the subsidized apartments

once we were supposed to give out candy on halloween and my racist manager gave the black kids less and wouldn't give them little toys and straight up did that to my shift managers kids, in front of her. i remember how mad she was but she couldn't do anything because she had just gotten a raise and that had caused her to lose her food stamps so she really needed the job right at that moment

gently caress CVS

you just watched someone do this in front of you?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Larry Parrish posted:

I imagine someone working at CVS doesn't have much in the way of options or savings. It sucks but taking action can mean you could lose your house/not afford food for yourself/family which can shift your priorities.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Outrail posted:

I imagine someone working at CVS doesn't have much in the way of options or savings. It sucks but taking action can mean you could lose your house/not afford food for yourself/family which can shift your priorities.

this is the ideal state for the corporation.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

My brothers in navy ROTC and they had an ethics class where the teacher mentioned my lai and he was the only guy in the class that had heard of it

In my kids school they were talking about why we don't have good relations with north korea and it was being taught that they were a bunch of commie/terrorist/nuke havers. No talk about the korean war and the bombing campaign that erased a dozen cities from existence and killed 10% of the countries total population.

I mean yes, they are pretty beligerant, but do you blame them?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Larry Parrish posted:

What would you have done, oh brave white warrior?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spacetoaster posted:

What would you have done, oh brave white warrior?

It wouldn't be the first time I quit a job by picking a fist fight

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

In my kids school they were talking about why we don't have good relations with north korea and it was being taught that they were a bunch of commie/terrorist/nuke havers. No talk about the korean war and the bombing campaign that erased a dozen cities from existence and killed 10% of the countries total population.

I mean yes, they are pretty beligerant, but do you blame them?
also extremely important context on north korea seeking a nuclear weapons program and not denuclearizing is the US invasions of libya and iraq which did denuclearize lol

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
at first i thought that NK had a bad economy and was completely dark from space because of the inefficiencies of a command economy, but then i learned that the harsh US sanctions against them basically make it impossible for them to participate in any meaningful global trade.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

also extremely important context on north korea seeking a nuclear weapons program and not denuclearizing is the US invasions of libya and iraq which did denuclearize lol

Don't forget Ukraine, who denuclearized because the US promised to protect them.

Larry Parrish posted:

It wouldn't be the first time I quit a job by picking a fist fight

In a perfect world it would've been great. But in our world, that little bitch of a man would have called the cops and you'd have a record (at best).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

But now doctors aren't prescribing it as much, so:

UGH WE NEED TO SELL MORE TONS OF OXY, MAKE THEM WEIGH MORE OR SOMETHING

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 03:56 on Jan 18, 2019

Opabinia
Dec 21, 2011

Your Burgess Shale buddy!

Shame Boy posted:

UGH WE NEED TO SELL MORE TONS OF OXY, MAKE THEM WEIGH MORE OR SOMETHING
The Dollop did an amazing 2 part series on opioid addiction in the US, the second is all about the bald faced evil that is Purdue's sales tactics. I'd recommend it to everyone in this thread.
Part one
Part two

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014
Not sure if this was posted yet.

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1085969401587867653

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I just had my comic shop set up a pull list for new Rob Liefield issues, not sure why I'd need paypal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

sweet I can finally open KidneBay.com