Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Speaking of skiing, where's good for spring skiing? I'm looking at going end of March to early April in the Kanto area and I didn't think of it until seeing Horsebanger's (good name) question that maybe I could still ski then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Bloodnose posted:

Speaking of skiing, where's good for spring skiing? I'm looking at going end of March to early April in the Kanto area and I didn't think of it until seeing Horsebanger's (good name) question that maybe I could still ski then.

Dicey, they're forecasting cherry blossoms for Tokyo around March 24th so it's probably going to be a warm spring. By the end of March it might just be Hokkaido and maybe Tohoku that still have snow.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Horsebanger posted:

Hey guys, I'm heading to Niseko for Ski Season, but coming down to Tokyo for a couple of days in April so I have a couple of questions:

Whats a good mobile/sim provider for the 2 weeks I'll be there, is there any deal/thing I should specifically get or ask for? Roaming is expensive.

How easy is it to take a drain and a day trip to Kyoto? I have an old friend there I'd like to surprise and visit.
Are you travelling alone or with others? Rather than a SIM, last time I went for a wifi hotspot box from Econnect so that the whole group can make use of a single connection. Obviously not as useful when on the slopes since you won't always be within range of each other, but it's good for the rest of the time.

It gets shipped straight to your hotel or you can pick it up at the airport and it comes with a package where you just shove it into a postbox when you're done.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Japanese SIM cards;

Cheapest is klook

https://www.klook.com/activity/3613

Or rent hotpot from them.

For spring skiiing : spring time isn’t that great, but there is karuizawa or gala yuzawa.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Karuizawa definitely isn't going to have snow in late March, Yuzawa might but it's gonna be slushy.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

caberham posted:

4. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL you guys sound like fish out of water - “don’t feel safe at night at a foreign country????” Of all places you guys are worried about Japan? As a couple? Even Mormon missionaries have more street smarts than you guys.

I mean, I said I was trying to convince her it’s perfectly safe. I’m a drat weeb. I know glorious Nihon is safe.

Pththya-lyi, yeah, I’ve got one of those dorky “under the shirt” fanny pack things from when we visited Europe a couple of years ago. We’ll each carry some cash on hand, but I’ll have the rest on me/in the hotel safe.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 17, 2019

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
skiing in the spring, someone ignoring future, the global warming

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

caberham posted:

Or rent hotpot from them.

Wifi-nabe kudasai!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

waifu nabe kudasai!!!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Pththya-lyi posted:

Nanigans, the biggest dangers for tourists in Japan are from pickpockets and con artists. Just keep an eye on your money and get out of any situation that seems fishy. Basically, practice the same kind of common-sense safety measures you should be practicing at home. It doesn't hurt to keep the address of your home country's embassy or consulate handy, either.

Be somewhat wary of people in suits trying to get you to patronize their shop, especially if you're not with the wife. They are often hostess bars where you might pay a hundred bucks for an hour or two of innocent fun or you might get charged a couple thousand bucks for an hour or two of innocent fun.

That said, there are often legit restaurants that will have someone on the street trying to get patrons (due to sheer number of restaurants, many of them being upstairs, down side streets, etc.) so don't run away any time someone approaches you (often with a menu).

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

peanut posted:

waifu nabe kudasai!!!

I’m almost certain there’s got to be a JAV somewhere with this theme

totalnewbie posted:

Be somewhat wary of people in suits trying to get you to patronize their shop, especially if you're not with the wife. They are often hostess bars where you might pay a hundred bucks for an hour or two of innocent fun or you might get charged a couple thousand bucks for an hour or two of innocent fun.

That said, there are often legit restaurants that will have someone on the street trying to get patrons (due to sheer number of restaurants, many of them being upstairs, down side streets, etc.) so don't run away any time someone approaches you (often with a menu).

Uuuh there’s like a .05% percent chance that a normal kyabakura kyacchi is gonna talk up a random foreign tourist and why you would specify this instead of the more realistic African dudes trying to get him completely escapes me

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I was drinking at the sushi bar last weekend and it was basically all regulars and the chef after after like 9pm.

Anyway, one of the guys was a Japanese dude who was on a flight back to Japan the next day (who had previously lived in the US and had recently moved back). He told a story about how he used to be a cashier at the Family Mart in Kawasaki.

Kawasaki is an area of Tokyo/Yokohama that today holds a really really good selection of restaurants and food, but back in the old days it was distinctly known for being the head of a large Yakuza clan, and was considered a somewhat dangerous place to be.

For over a year while he worked there, a very kind, old grandfather would come to the store pretty much daily at about 11PM every night and order about 12-15 servings of onigiri and calmly leave the store.

One day, a young 20ish-old person started a fistfight in the store and knocked over a items near the counter. As customary for a cashier in Kawasaki, the former cashier basically pretended the fight didn't exist and then cleaned up after them when they left.

At about 11:30pm at night, the person who started the fight was seen walking into the store with his face completely bruised and all covered in blood. Behind him was the old grandfather, who looked really loving angry. When young guy reached the counter, the grandfather slammed his face onto the shop counter, yelling "AYAMARE", with blood pretty much splattering around.

The kid then did a Dogeza and apologized, "I'm sorry for causing commotion and damage to the store. Please take this as my apology and I'll never do this again." In his hand was 50k yen.

Of course cashier-dude couldn't take the money due to policy so he thanked the kid but declined.

Anyway I'm not sure why kyabakura reminded me of this story, although it probably has to do with the fact that I was playing JUDGE EYES the other day.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

LimburgLimbo posted:

Uuuh there’s like a .05% percent chance that a normal kyabakura kyacchi is gonna talk up a random foreign tourist and why you would specify this instead of the more realistic African dudes trying to get him completely escapes me

You want to talk about the African dudes, then? I just wanted them (maybe just the wife?) not to freak out when restaurant people try to get them to come eat but also didn't want to just be like "Yeah follow anyone who approaches you, it's Japan, totally safe!"

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

You want to talk about the African dudes, then? I just wanted them (maybe just the wife?) not to freak out when restaurant people try to get them to come eat but also didn't want to just be like "Yeah follow anyone who approaches you, it's Japan, totally safe!"

What

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration
Maybe it's because I lived in NYC for 14 years, but isn't it SOP to just say no to/ignore anyone coming up to you and trying to get you into a club/bar/restaurant in any metropolitan area?

Speaking of New York, is navigating the subway crowds there any help in dealing with the Tokyo metro, or is it another level of insanity? Not that I'm concerned, just curious. Can't wait to go in the fall.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's just a lot of stairs and vast hallways.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Slow Graffiti posted:

Maybe it's because I lived in NYC for 14 years, but isn't it SOP to just say no to/ignore anyone coming up to you and trying to get you into a club/bar/restaurant in any metropolitan area?

Speaking of New York, is navigating the subway crowds there any help in dealing with the Tokyo metro, or is it another level of insanity? Not that I'm concerned, just curious. Can't wait to go in the fall.

the thing is what totalnewbie is saying is correct -- there are people (on major streets or near big station exits) who are there to help get people into restaurants or karaoke places nearby, and will even radio up to their shop to say "we've got a group of 10 coming up" and things like that. And then there are people on the streets trying to strike up a conversation and hustle you into a more adult-oriented club which may or may not be a scam to boot.

I don't know how much NYC subway experience is going to help, but it will at least prevent you from complete shock at seeing that many people in and out of trains. From the poo poo I've seen posted by friends in New York, though, you're going to be shocked at how calm and normal things are on the trains though. No such thing as dancing in the trains over here. (well, not since they cracked down on the Halloween train parties)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The smell is less terrible and the seats are usually clean enough to sit on.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

harperdc posted:

the thing is what totalnewbie is saying is correct -- there are people (on major streets or near big station exits) who are there to help get people into restaurants or karaoke places nearby, and will even radio up to their shop to say "we've got a group of 10 coming up" and things like that. And then there are people on the streets trying to strike up a conversation and hustle you into a more adult-oriented club which may or may not be a scam to boot.

Gotcha. Sounds similar to certain areas of Hong Kong or Bangkok, or NYC for that matter.

peanut posted:

The smell is less terrible and the seats are usually clean enough to sit on.

This and the orderliness harperdc mentioned seem like the things that are going to blow my mind the most when I get there. That and all the amazing food I can’t stop thinking about.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
my colleague just asked me about sakura season in Osaka or Tokyo. isn't it super packed during that time of year? I've only ever done sakura season in somewhat rural Kyushu. it tends to be like late march to early April there. is it more or less the same time all the way up in Tokyo?

this article seems kinda good?

quote:

Asia
Japan's cherry blossoms expected to bloom early again this year

Cherry blossom season is expected to arrive in Japan earlier than usual, with Tokyo, Kyoto, Nagoya and Fukuoka expecting first bloom up to four days earlier than average.

Japan's cherry blossom season is expected to arrive earlier than usual, according to a forecast by Japan Meteorological Corporation (JMC).

The weather data provider last Thursday (Jan 10) released its prediction of when the nation's iconic trees would begin blooming and reach full bloom.

Also known as sakura in Japanese, cherry blossoms are expected to start flowering on Mar 22 in Tokyo, four days earlier than average, and reach full bloom a week after.

Last year, cherry blossoms started flowering in Tokyo on Mar 17, nine days before the average bloom date.

Map: Japan cherry blossom forecast 2019

This year, the region around Nagoya can expect its cherry blossoms to bloom early as well, on Mar 22, while Fukuoka and Kochi might see them flower on Mar 18 and Mar 20 respectively.

The sakura trees in Kyoto are forecast to bloom on Mar 25, three days earlier than average.

In the cooler areas further north, the flowers are expected to bloom at around the usual time: Aomori can expect the flowers to bloom on Apr 24, and Hokkaido capital Sapporo will likely see the first blooms on May 4.

cherry blossom forecast date table 2019

Expected flowering and full bloom dates of sakura in Japan, according to JMC on Jan 10. (Table: Japan Meteorological Corporation)
According to the forecast, the flowering and full bloom dates depend on the temperature patterns from the previous year's autumn.

"JMC estimates the flowering and full bloom dates for each area based on low temperatures during autumn and winter, cherry tree growth status, cumulative temperatures, and past data for each area," it added.

The company's forecast covers approximately 1,000 cherry blossom viewing locations from the northern region of Hokkaido to the south in Kagoshima.

anyway, am I right in suggesting that for a first trip to Japan, going during sakura season to Tokyo or Kansai is going to be really crowded? or is it doable and am I just making that up?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
it's fine but sometimes crowded.

just tell them to go and say that it's fun. I stopped trying to convince people who are boring.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It’ll be crowded, and if you go there on Saturday but it rained on Friday, you’ll also be greatly disappointed.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

^^^ truthposting. It always rains hard the Friday before max bloom weekend.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Slow Graffiti posted:

You'll be used to crowds but train stations in Japan have absolutely awful, infuriating signage and you'll get lost a lot, especially if you end up in a ninth circle of hell station like Ikebukuro. Just be prepared for this and take it in stride.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

You'll be used to crowds but train stations in Japan have absolutely awful, infuriating signage and you'll get lost a lot, especially if you end up in a ninth circle of hell station like Ikebukuro. Just be prepared for this and take it in stride.

On the topic of signage, Japan generally orients maps with the direction you are facing at the top vs having North being oriented to the top.

Something to keep in mind when you invariably look at a map in the subway to figure out where to get out.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

.Z. posted:

On the topic of signage, Japan generally orients maps with the direction you are facing at the top vs having North being oriented to the top.

Something to keep in mind when you invariably look at a map in the subway to figure out where to get out.

Good to know. Out of curiosity the other day I took a look at the Shinjuku station website and was trying to figure out why on earth they had the south entrance at the top of their map.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Slow Graffiti posted:

Good to know. Out of curiosity the other day I took a look at the Shinjuku station website and was trying to figure out why on earth they had the south entrance at the top of their map.

Oh maps will never help you in Shinjuku station. Just accept that it is a maze from which you will never escape.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

.Z. posted:

Oh maps will never help you in Shinjuku station. Just accept that it is a maze from which you will never escape.

Yeah make sure you have a good tent and at least a day's worth of food and water before entering Shinjuku station.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Navigating Shinjuku station is easy.

Go up stairs until you are out of it, then walk to your destination.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
The breadcrumb trail of signage often breaks which is why people get lost in unfamiliar stations, even residents.

But my favorite thing is in Tokyo all the private lines have signs pointing in the direction of the specific platform for the specific line. Not JR. JR signs are just a generic "JR lines this way." Which means loving nothing to a tourist trying to find the Joetsu Line or whatever.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Been using Shinjuku station for the past six months for work.
Still don't know my way around it. Like, at all

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ntan1 posted:

Go up stairs until you are out of it, then walk to your destination.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ride a train and exit at another location.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

From my local resorts, Kagura in Naeba, Seki Onsen in Myoko, Hakuba area resorts, and Hiuchi Charmant out on the coast will probably have great skiing around then.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

peanut posted:

Ride a train and exit at another location.

Big time mood. gently caress that station.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nanigans posted:

Finally took the plunge and booked our tickets on United (operated by ANA) for October 4-12th. We fly out of Miami, short layover in Chicago, and then we arrive in Haneda. We won’t land until 8:30 pm on October 5th, but that gives us Sunday-Friday to actually be there until we leave the next Saturday morning. I know it’ll never be enough time to see everything we want, but the wife has limited vacation, and I know I’m going to want to come back regardless.

Flying in and out from Haneda, are there any hotels nearby that people have used in the past and would recommend? Ideally within walking distance from the airport and a train station (although having said that, isn’t everywhere within walking distance from a train station?) My wife is concerned about walking around at night in a country we don’t know, and I’m trying to convince her it’s safe enough to not need to take a taxi to the hotel. Aren’t taxis crazy expensive?

Is the conversion fee from dollars to yen more expensive here in the states or in Japan itself? What I mean is, should I exchange a bunch of cash before or after I arrive in Tokyo? I know I’ll eventually need to stop by an ATM to take out more, but I wanted to know if I should even bother with going to a currency exchange counter before leaving.

With onsen, the wife doesn’t feel comfortable with public nudity, and she’d also be alone as we’re not travelling with another lady, so are the private onsen any good, or are they glorified hot tubs? Are there any private onsen you would recommend?

Christ, is this what I’m like?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Pollyanna posted:

:haw:

Can I expect cool Halloween decorations around shops in Tokyo when I go in early October?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Pretty much.

Of all the travel threads and my experiences of meeting goons. Japan just attracts the gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooniest

or newbie travel people.

At least they dont' go to South East Asia and end up dead. Rest in peace duckfart or some other goon who died in SEA

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Being self-aware is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

caberham posted:

Of all the travel threads and my experiences of meeting goons. Japan just attracts the gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooniest

Enough about you.