Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I've come to realize that the greatest satires eventually become true. Just look at Dr. Strangelove

The Day Today and Brasseye were funnier when they weren't the template for almost every news broadcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
My favorite movie is Alien3

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

NtotheTC posted:

Starship Troopers the film is amazing, I agree if you mean the book though

Also a good one: "Have I told you guys how pissed I am that the movie didn't have power armor!?"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

phasmid posted:

I liked Starship Troopers because it had dudes with nuke rifles fighting giant monsters from space. It came out just in time for Starcraft, too. But I have to say that as a kid I wasn't sitting there going "Hah, look at this fascist dictatorship that needs a foreign adversary to justify its existence and sends people to die in pointless wars. That asteroid probably just fell out of space and the Klendathians were peaceful! Look at these proles, celebrating these jack-booted xenophobes! Harrumph!"

Instead it was "haha, did you see that bug's face when he ate the hand grenade? why can't more movies be this cool?"

At any rate, nothing in that movie is subtle. (Also Boondock Saints was fun at the time and anyone who likes Ayn Rand at all has a leaky brain)

That's exactly what makes it great satire though, if you disregard everything else it still works as a killer bug sci-fi B-movie. But then you watch it again and again over the years as you get older and more mature and understand what it's saying. The best satire is always like that. It's the difference between satire and parody.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Aleph Null posted:

:catstare:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Basebf555 posted:

That's exactly what makes it great satire though, if you disregard everything else it still works as a killer bug sci-fi B-movie. But then you watch it again and again over the years as you get older and more mature and understand what it's saying. The best satire is always like that. It's the difference between satire and parody.

I just wonder if the adults who saw it all recognized he satire or maybe they were just thinking of entertainment. Either way, it's a good movie and that interview where Michael Ironside is dogging on people who don't get the point is pretty hilarious considering he played the biggest hardass in the movie.

I'm sure he means the director's cut, which was a lot better than the theatrical release.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
my favourite film is Valentine's Day, it's actually a really deep reflection on the utter meaninglessness of human existence

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
When I first watched Starship Troopers I was already seriously pissed at nationalistic jargon coming from overseas (that was after 9/11), so I absolutely hated the first 30 minutes or so because it seemed to me like just such a typical AMERICA, gently caress YEAH movie glorifying war. No, I didn't look at the release year or realized that it's set in uh Brazil iirc?

So halfway there on the satire angle. Also, after those 30 min I was like "okay gently caress it at least the action will be cool", and it was.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I think the most subtle movie is The Kentucky Fried Movie. Everything is super low-key.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Deep space 9 also pulls off the "Wait, this was before 9/11?" trick.

There's another 2-parter that'll be coming true any day now.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Escobarbarian posted:

I reread High Fidelity last year and Oh loving Boy does that not hold up

Why not

Serious question, I have the book but haven't read it in forever. I recall it as a story of an immature clown who grows a bit, like Scott pilgrim sort of. But, what am I missing other than the fact that the beta band wont change your life

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
Btw the best take is,
Starship Troopers is just a ripoff of Steakley's "Armor" anyway

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Aphrodite posted:

I always say Starship Troopers because you get a good idea of who you're talking to when you do.

Starship Troopers 3

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Aphrodite posted:

The real scar isn't on his face.

it's on his soul.

the real scar is the friends we made along the way

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I feel like Idiocracy is one of the 'yellow flag' favorite movies, too. There's legitimate things to enjoy in it, but you REALLY need to learn if someone's taking it in a eugenics direction or not.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DandyLion posted:

Also a good one: "Have I told you guys how pissed I am that the movie didn't have power armor!?"

I mean it would have been cool as poo poo to watch them blow up those awesome bugs in powered armor.

Edit: I read the book in 2007 or 8 and man was I disappointed

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They did that in the second one.

You're incorrect.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

phasmid posted:

I just wonder if the adults who saw it all recognized he satire or maybe they were just thinking of entertainment. Either way, it's a good movie and that interview where Michael Ironside is dogging on people who don't get the point is pretty hilarious considering he played the biggest hardass in the movie.

The director commentary on the disc is amazing because Verhoeven just seems continuously confused that nobody understood it was satire.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Beachcomber posted:

It was easy when we were kids, but these days the idea that you can have a single favourite movie kind of weirds me out.

I will never be able to choose between Jurassic Park and Ghostbusters.

Holy poo poo, fuckin' same :toot:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Ghostbusters is one of those movies that I didn't watch until I was in my early 20s and can't understand the hype for, apart from the theme tune which owns. It's weird that it's so enduring considering the critical failure of everything related that's ever succeeded it

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I think it's worth drawing a distinction between someone's favourite movie, and the movie they think is the best. My favourite movie is Some Like It Hot but I don't think it's the best movie I ever saw. It's just the one I love most.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

HopperUK posted:

I think it's worth drawing a distinction between someone's favourite movie, and the movie they think is the best. My favourite movie is Some Like It Hot but I don't think it's the best movie I ever saw. It's just the one I love most.

Yeah, this right here.

Also, bell jar, look into the archived Ghostbusters thread in CD; the OP written by echoplex was extremely detailed about their praise for the film, and hits it right on the nose as to why it was such a good movie, and likely the top horror comedy forever. That post was like a thesis.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Adult woman who loves The Nightmare Before Christmas. Woop woop pull up.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, this right here.

Also, bell jar, look into the archived Ghostbusters thread in CD; the OP written by echoplex was extremely detailed about their praise for the film, and hits it right on the nose as to why it was such a good movie, and likely the top horror comedy forever. That post was like a thesis.

Do you have a link to this? Sounds good

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
drat it people I said "Armor" by Steakley... ugh sigh nobody reads lovely sci fi anymore:)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

bell jar posted:

Do you have a link to this? Sounds good

Absolutely, here you go:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3184282&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Disgusting Coward posted:

Ooof, yes. This one is absolutely true.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ravenfood posted:

The director commentary on the disc is amazing because Verhoeven just seems continuously confused that nobody understood it was satire.

It's really weird given how Robocop was praised for its satire, but people assumed the same director was making straight up Nazi propaganda with his next sci-fi action film.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Slippery posted:

drat it people I said "Armor" by Steakley... ugh sigh nobody reads lovely sci fi anymore:)

We got the joke, it just wasn't laugh in a post worthy. Now if you had recommend people read Armor as the book that Starship Troopers is actually based on...

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Slippery posted:

I liked Armor, for some kinda throwaway sci fi about the horrors of war and the incompetence of the military.

Isn't someone making it into a tv series or movie?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Sunswipe posted:

It's really weird given how Robocop was praised for its satire, but people assumed the same director was making straight up Nazi propaganda with his next sci-fi action film.
His next sci-fi action film was Total Recall.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Aleph Null posted:

This, but Alien 4. At least the first 3/4th of it. Then things go very wrong. Also I haven’t seen it since it came out so it’s probably not that good.

Starship Troopers may not be the best movie, but it’s the funnest. Anyone know if the HD (or 4K if they have it) is worth a purchase if you already have the DVD? Do the special effects hold up in high definition?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pilchenstein posted:

His next sci-fi action film was Total Recall.

drat it, why did I think Total Recall came before Robocop?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

I feel like Idiocracy is one of the 'yellow flag' favorite movies, too. There's legitimate things to enjoy in it, but you REALLY need to learn if someone's taking it in a eugenics direction or not.

I read The Marching Morons by Cyril Kornbluth when I was very young, so when Idiocracy came out, I was kind of, I dunno, over it? Like, both are extremely similar in their premise and settings.

Major differences: in Morons, there are a very few very intelligent people left, secretly running the world but falling farther and farther behind. They enlist the regular schlub from the past into helping them solve the too-many-idiots problem. Schlub's solution is to launch everyone they can into the sun, selling it to his victims as a free trip to sunny Venus. So they launch most of the earth's population into the sun, and the story ends with the smart people grabbing the regular schlub and launching him into the sun as well, because what kind of monster thinks of a plan like "Launch the earth's population into the sun"?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

bell jar posted:

Ghostbusters is one of those movies that I didn't watch until I was in my early 20s and can't understand the hype for, apart from the theme tune which owns. It's weird that it's so enduring considering the critical failure of everything related that's ever succeeded it

One thing you're missing if you didn't grow up during those years is that the Real Ghostbusters cartoon was beloved and had a lot to do with people forming those strong nostalgia connections with the franchise and the characters.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Phy posted:

I read The Marching Morons by Cyril Kornbluth when I was very young, so when Idiocracy came out, I was kind of, I dunno, over it? Like, both are extremely similar in their premise and settings.

Major differences: in Morons, there are a very few very intelligent people left, secretly running the world but falling farther and farther behind. They enlist the regular schlub from the past into helping them solve the too-many-idiots problem. Schlub's solution is to launch everyone they can into the sun, selling it to his victims as a free trip to sunny Venus. So they launch most of the earth's population into the sun, and the story ends with the smart people grabbing the regular schlub and launching him into the sun as well, because what kind of monster thinks of a plan like "Launch the earth's population into the sun"?

Holy poo poo, I need to read this.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Basebf555 posted:

One thing you're missing if you didn't grow up during those years is that the Real Ghostbusters cartoon was beloved and had a lot to do with people forming those strong nostalgia connections with the franchise and the characters.

The voice cast for that show was stacked, Maurice LaMarche, Lorenzo Music, Frank Welker, and Arcenio Hall.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Disgusting Coward posted:

What’s wrong with TNBC? Is it the Hot topic connection?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Joey Freshwater posted:

What’s wrong with TNBC? Is it the Hot topic connection?

Yeah I don't get it either. TNBC is a great movie. It's not, like, my favorite by any means, but a solid "watch yearly at least once anywhere between Halloween and Christmas."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I've kinda lost all coherence in weighing in on adults liking tNBC after being forced to watch it repeatedly over Christmas by our toddler who demanded to see "the pumpkin movie".

That said i did finally watch emmet otters jug band christmas at the same time and that movie was awesome so it kinda made up for it.