Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Linguica posted:

I have one of those, it’s fine.

The jet drive? All I’m really worried about is having about 40 gigs of chillstep and movie soundtracks locally. I figured I can just throw those on the jet drive. The rest is entirely for writing, and scrivener and fade in files won’t be any room at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

With a primary computer available over network, music collections in the cloud etc 128gb weirdly doesn’t seem as limiting as it used to. I wiped my Air a few years back and just installed what I needed and I probably have half the disk space left now rather than constantly offloading and deleting things like I used to.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Is there such a thing as a reliable magsafe-style magnetic breakaway USB-C adapter suitable for use with a recent macbook? From a bit of googling I can see that while a few options exist enthusiasm for them is kinda mixed. Most promising thing I found is this one that appeared recently but it seems like it isn't widely available yet.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral
Wow - thank you for posting this! My 2011 MacBook Pro is back in action via 3 little commands!

Maute
Jan 15, 2009
For general use, would it be better to get a 2018 Air or a 2017 13 inch refurb Pro? Seems like the Pro has better specs overall.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Maute posted:

For general use, would it be better to get a 2018 Air or a 2017 13 inch refurb Pro? Seems like the Pro has better specs overall.

Depends what your general uses are.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Maute posted:

One is a little thinner on one end and has better battery life. The other has a bright screen and slightly faster cpu.

Assuming you aren’t looking at the Touch Bar model in that case you get 4 ports not 2

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Has anyone wondered why Apple chose FreeBSD as a base for macOS/iOS yet adapted different user interfaces for each respectively?

I remember seeing digitally modified images of a OSX/Aqua (I think) like user interface for iPhone during the early days, which was written off pretty quickly. Cocoa Touch is.. novel, but if Apple just kept true to the philosophy of Unix and made it all C and consistent, they would've saved and made so much money

Anyone have any truth to why iOS and macOS are so different, yet are built on the same framework?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

unidef freeman posted:

Has anyone wondered why Apple chose FreeBSD as a base for macOS/iOS yet adapted different user interfaces for each respectively?

I remember seeing digitally modified images of a OSX/Aqua (I think) like user interface for iPhone during the early days, which was written off pretty quickly. Cocoa Touch is.. novel, but if Apple just kept true to the philosophy of Unix and made it all C and consistent, they would've saved and made so much money

Anyone have any truth to why iOS and macOS are so different, yet are built on the same framework?

Because that's what NeXT used, it had a BSD user on top of Mach before FreeBSD. Then they converted NeXTstep to OS X and took the opportunity to migrate from their NetBSD userland to FreeBSD. When they made the split for iOS they weren't going to reinvent the wheel. What made the iPhone successful was the precise fact that it had a dedicated UI that made sense for the phone.

No one who uses a phone cares about UNIX underpinnings. Still, go read about the evolution of Darwin architecture, it's pretty neat stuff.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 16, 2019

Weedle
May 31, 2006

unidef freeman posted:

It’s based on NeXTSTEP, not FreeBSD. It was built on the same framework as macOS because when the iPhone was in development, Steve Jobs asked the iPod and Mac teams to each come up with their own concepts for a mobile communication/media device and the Mac team’s demo was way better. The interfaces are different because they’re built for different types of devices and it would make no sense to have them look and function exactly the same. Somehow I doubt that a cell phone that “kept true to the philosophy of Unix and C” would have been of any interest to the general public.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

unidef freeman posted:

idk much about unix philosophy, but I imagine Apple wanted to stay far away from having to maintain a UI that was the same across mobile/desktop after how terrible old Windows tablets and phones were to use when they had the same (or at least similar)UI as their desktop counterparts.

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich

kefkafloyd posted:

Because that's what NeXT used, it had a BSD user on top of Mach before FreeBSD. Then they converted NeXTstep to OS X and took the opportunity to migrate from their NetBSD userland to FreeBSD. When they made the split for iOS they weren't going to reinvent the wheel. What made the iPhone successful was the precise fact that it had a dedicated UI that made sense for the phone.

No one who uses a phone cares about UNIX underpinnings. Still, go read about the evolution of Darwin architecture, it's pretty neat stuff.
I don't know, what made the iPhone special for me was its Unix roots. I had dreams of just.. running Unix on my iPhone =(

Weedle posted:

It’s based on NeXTSTEP, not FreeBSD. It was built on the same framework as macOS because when the iPhone was in development, Steve Jobs asked the iPod and Mac teams to each come up with their own concepts for a mobile communication/media device and the Mac team’s demo was way better. The interfaces are different because they’re built for different types of devices and it would make no sense to have them look and function exactly the same. Somehow I doubt that a cell phone that “kept true to the philosophy of Unix and C” would have been of any interest to the general public.

Since Cocoa uses NS bases, why not just keep the interface consistent? Have you use WindowMaker? WIth XWayland and some composting magic it'd beat the snot out of macOS, not to talk smack

Last Chance posted:

idk much about unix philosophy, but I imagine Apple wanted to stay far away from having to maintain a UI that was the same across mobile/desktop after how terrible old Windows tablets and phones were to use when they had the same (or at least similar)UI as their desktop counterparts.

Windows.. yes, Windows is terrible IIRC. Windows 10 runs WOW, that's all I understand and care about. But their PDA's functioned. I didn't develop software, but would've been a nice little terminal, it even had a lovely stylus. But it was cheap, ran software, could be developed for, and was novel

My major beef with Apple is not respecting its NS heritage, I wanted WindowMaker on my iPhone, possibly AfterStep if I decided to live on the streets

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I’m sure you could install a custom launcher on Android and make your own skin if you want your phone to look like a Unix PC from twenty years ago.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
You are possibly the only person who wants Window Maker on a phone. That's absurd, but I respect it I guess. It's UNIX where it counts, the back end.

There's plenty of technical reasons to bifurcate the UI and some of the programming APIs when they made the iPhone firmware back in the day. AppKit was completely desktop oriented, a lot of that stuff wouldn't make sense on a phone. They kept the strengths of OS X when they cut it down (the back end) while making new APIs that would be appropriate for small screen touch oriented interaction. The original iPhone was also super hardware constrained (both in RAM and CPU) and one of the reasons it worked as well as it did was that it was highly optimized for the features that it wanted to have.

It feels like people are forgetting just how lovely the PDA/handheld/phone scene was in the early to mid aughts. Palm was the only one who was doing something sensible and even they were weighed down by user interface and technical decisions made a decade before that and WebOS was too late to save their fate.

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich

kefkafloyd posted:

You are possibly the only person who wants Window Maker on a phone. That's absurd, but I respect it I guess. It's UNIX where it counts, the back end.

There's plenty of technical reasons to bifurcate the UI and some of the programming APIs when they made the iPhone firmware back in the day. AppKit was completely desktop oriented, a lot of that stuff wouldn't make sense on a phone. They kept the strengths of OS X when they cut it down (the back end) while making new APIs that would be appropriate for small screen touch oriented interaction. The original iPhone was also super hardware constrained (both in RAM and CPU) and one of the reasons it worked as well as it did was that it was highly optimized for the features that it wanted to have.

It feels like people are forgetting just how lovely the PDA/handheld/phone scene was in the early to mid aughts. Palm was the only one who was doing something sensible and even they were weighed down by user interface and technical decisions made a decade before that and WebOS was too late to save their fate.

Thanks for replying man, answered a lot of my questions.

But NS’ GUI was touch orientated from the start. I don’t care about apis, if you look at Xamerin they wrote a wrapper around ssh, llvm, and Xcode so you could write iPhone and android apps in c#/c++ natively in vs with a spare Mac computer. It’s buggy and a dirty hack, but proves what can be done. Xamerin was bought by Microsoft.

Instead of pages of icons, we can have a dock and a button that shows the icon. Double tap and you have a menu. You can move the icons around like in Wmaker, and you can customize it. Just a little rounded corners here and there, compositing magic, maybe two GPUs, well, we can do it now but it’s pretty much agreed with apple didn’t have much to work with, mainly because of Microsoft

I don’t know how Siri would fit in. You agree that the iOS interface isn’t exactly the 21st century on ice, right?

No one agrees that NS is literally the bees knees next to CDE..? with Xwayland and a good composition engine

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I don't really think you can separate the API and UI considerations from each other when you come from a Nextstep/openstep perspective. The API and methodology of building in Nextstep was directly linked to its UI, that's what made it special. UI is more than just the Springboard.

NS was the best UNIX desktop implementation and that was proven to be true when it was reworked into OS X.

unidef freeman posted:

I don’t know how Siri would fit in. You agree that the iOS interface isn’t exactly the 21st century on ice, right?

I think parts of iOS (at least, the Springboard) could use a rework, especially on iPad. iPad needs a lot more work than iPhone. But it's not like the foundation for building applications and how the user interacts with them is out of date, like the original PalmOS or Windows.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
This is a weird turn for the hardware thread

Considering that Mac OS doesn’t use anything from WindowMaker I don’t know why you’d think apple would ever be interested in putting that on a phone

If you want a phone that apes being a desktop, go find a windows pocketpc from the mid-2000s and report back how usable you find it

Weedle
May 31, 2006

While we’re on the subject though I just want to say that Palm OS was the ideal mobile OS for its era. The responsiveness of the UI and its ability to approximate multitasking via state saving was astonishing given the limitations of the hardware. iOS is basically just a 21st-century version of Palm OS, right down to the launcher interface.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Weedle posted:

While we’re on the subject though I just want to say that Palm OS was the ideal mobile OS for its era. The responsiveness of the UI and its ability to approximate multitasking via state saving was astonishing given the limitations of the hardware. iOS is basically just a 21st-century version of Palm OS, right down to the launcher interface.

100% agree. PalmOS was really advanced for its time.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

AlternateAccount posted:

100% agree. PalmOS was really advanced for its time.

I still miss my m505 at times.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

My Palm 650 was my first smartphone - I loved that thing. I also tried a Windows Mobile phone for less than a year before I unloaded that hot garbage for an iPhone 3G.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I had a Motorola Q running Windows Mobile and I really liked it!

The iPhone 3GS I eventually got to replace it was a huge step up, though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Everything windows Mobile was super terrible

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

unidef freeman posted:

because using a desktop os with a touchscreen is horrible, OP

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Proteus Jones posted:

I still miss my m505 at times.

OG Palm Pilot Pro was my jam for a long time.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

Grimmeh posted:

Wow - thank you for posting this! My 2011 MacBook Pro is back in action via 3 little commands!

I’m glad this worked for you. I took a look at the instructions on my phone and had no idea what was going on, but I’m going to give it a shot over the weekend to see if I can get mine working.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Bob Morales posted:

Everything windows Mobile was super terrible

I was pretty happy with Windows Mobile at the time. It was pretty cool and versatile with a lively developer scene. Palm OS and Symbian/UIQ both looked like systems from the stone age, in comparison.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 16, 2019

Weedle
May 31, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

OG Palm Pilot Pro was my jam for a long time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When I worked Apple Retail we used to sell Palm Treos because the iPhone didn't exist yet. Those things were rear end.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Generic Monk posted:

because using a desktop os with a touchscreen is horrible, OP

No it's because your fingers are retarded and fat.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

mike- posted:

I’m glad this worked for you. I took a look at the instructions on my phone and had no idea what was going on, but I’m going to give it a shot over the weekend to see if I can get mine working.

Don’t worry. Just start with the three commands on the middle of the page (without making any boot disks etc) and go from there.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

BTW, if anyone uses a 3rd party NVMe SSD in a rMBP with the Sintech adapter, keep your original Apple OEM SSUBX SSD around as your machine's firmware/BootROM will not update to the Mojave revision with the third party SSD.

Kinda important as your machine might stop booting properly into Mojave if you have the old MBPxxx.xxxx.xxx firmware installed.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 17, 2019

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Would the firmware updates work on an OWC drive? I’m still running my Apple disk, but it’s been freezing at random since this summer.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Don't really know, but IMHO most likely not, as people who had Aura 1 TB SSDs on Trash Can Pros found out back when High Sierra first came out.. in fact their SSDs poo poo the bed when people tried upgrading to High Sierra. Some people found their machine wouldn't even boot after the upgrade.

OWC's suggested fix was to shove your old SSD in, upgrade to High Sierra, then shove the Aura back in.

If you look at their SSD upgrades for 2013-2015 rMBPs, they specifically warn the same thing, if you are going to be running High Sierra, upgrade on your Apple OEM SSD, don't do it with theirs in place.

Download a demo of DriveDx to check the condition of your original Apple drive also, just in case. If it's dying, you shouldn't
be upgrading on it.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 17, 2019

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Pffft. If your PPP doesn't say US ROBOTICS at the top, you're a late-game poser.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

AlternateAccount posted:

Pffft. If your PPP doesn't say US ROBOTICS at the top, you're a late-game poser.

Mine not only said US Robotics, it was the model before the Pilot name was used.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I picked up an early 2008 iMac from a Salvation Army earlier today. 500 gig hard drive, 4 gigs of gram, Nvidia graphics. Probably ~3k brand new.

The store employees must have thought it was a monitor (or underestimated Apple hardware longevity) because it was only $25.

A few hours later, I've got a patched version of Mojave on it. Insane.

[Edit: MY loving AIRPODS AUTOMATICALLY CONNECT TO IT, WHAT THE gently caress APPLE. HOW]

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Pairing is through iCloud loving magically.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

asecondduck posted:

So I picked up an early 2008 iMac from a Salvation Army earlier today. 500 gig hard drive, 4 gigs of gram, Nvidia graphics. Probably ~3k brand new.

The store employees must have thought it was a monitor (or underestimated Apple hardware longevity) because it was only $25.

A few hours later, I've got a patched version of Mojave on it. Insane.

[Edit: MY loving AIRPODS AUTOMATICALLY CONNECT TO IT, WHAT THE gently caress APPLE. HOW]

That’s a pretty solid find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

tuyop posted:

Pairing is through iCloud loving magically.

But... but I'm using a computer that wasn't officially supported past 10.11 because it didn't have the right kind of Bluetooth. THIS ISN'T SUPPOSED TO WORK, APPLE!

If Continuity works too I'm gonna go throw a rock through Tim Cook's window.

[Edit: Continuity does not work, looks like Apple was partially right.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 18, 2019