Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Okay I went and looked it up and a) yes, but b) this seems like the same “be a REAL MAN MAN” tack that razor ads have been on since I can remember, just with a 2019 update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Gillette add is the first time I've ever been capatlisimed at and I want more.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I had to stop myself from buying a set out of political spite, and now I understand why it's really easy to get racists to do stupid things.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Pirate Radar posted:

So what’s this Gillette thing

Gillette made an ad that is about toxic masculinity and uses the Gillette "the best a man can be" slogan to stand up for generic feel good pop feminism.

It's very corporate feminism-y but on balance, it's an ok advertisement I guess, if you let yourself forget it's being used to sell men's razors.

Right-wingers, predictably, threw a massive hissy fit tantrum over this.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Lightning Knight posted:

Gillette made an ad that is about toxic masculinity and uses the Gillette "the best a man can be" slogan to stand up for generic feel good pop feminism.

It's very corporate feminism-y but on balance, it's an ok advertisement I guess, if you let yourself forget it's being used to sell men's razors.

Imagine realizing that corporate marketing is a cynical business but responding to it by watching the video repeatedly, posting all about it, and talking with your friends all about it.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Lightning Knight posted:

its bad writing

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I mean I’m not exactly endorsing the ad here.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

not enough sexy goats?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

https://mobile.twitter.com/peta/status/1085573461315997696

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I'm getting the feeling peta missed the point.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Capitalism trying to fix white manhood after turning it into a self destructive commodity is cool as hell.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
capitalism ain't trying to fix poo poo

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/___srso4/status/1082511239454969856

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
rip jack bogle, did more for the working class than every internet communist combined

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

PETA needs to go away. Promoting no fur and veganism's good and all, but they're just really loving bad at their job.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I am at peace with the cold. It can no longer harm me. Bring it on polar vortex, I laugh at your -40C.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I got a new job! My first day is Monday. :)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Volkerball posted:

rip jack bogle, did more for the working class than every internet communist combined

do you have money with vanguard vb?

Lightning Knight posted:

just know that the shiftless itinerants that make up this subforum will resent you for it

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Lightning Knight posted:

Good work friend.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i'm doing a single second-year uni paper paper through work, and the amount of poo poo you have do to enrol is insane???

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Lightning Knight posted:

Super jealous.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

do you have money with vanguard vb?

Yeah, my HSA is 100% in their index funds right now. I opened up IRA's with them recently as well so they'll have basically all of my investments.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Lightning Knight posted:

Congratulations.

Unless it's managerial. :colbert:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mexican food in latvia

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Randler posted:

Congratulations.

Unless it's managerial. :colbert:

Nah, I'm going to be a front desk receptionist at a moderately fancy hotel downtown, but I only get paid 9-12 dollars an hour depending on if I'm working night shift or day shift.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

mexican food in latvia

what is english sauce in this circumstance

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Party Plane Jones posted:

looks like tartar

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

not enough sexy goats?

it's too accusatory. any good ad writer/student of humans knows men are weak pissbabies who'll poo poo their pants and prolapse their eyeballs crying about being told the truth too hard. contrary to what some might think, don't be direct with men; u need to talk to men way softer, craftier than w/ women.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
New Punisher season is out today I guess but I won’t be able to watch it until next week when I get back to a decent computer :(

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Party Plane Jones posted:

i have the same question

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

mexican food in latvia

lol wtf is English sauce?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

casual racism.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
https://i.imgur.com/6sS7TJl.mp4

And yet Americans dare to say they know pizza.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

It could be worse. At least it's not Hawaiian.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Randler posted:

And yet Americans dare to say they know pizza.

Since Germany makes Oettinger, obviously they do not know beer.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
https://twitter.com/politico_chris/status/1086328457049473024

paging ptd if he still posts here

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Since Germany makes Oettinger, obviously they do not know beer.

If I wanted to complain about quality, I'd have shown a deep-dish. I'm upset over the tongs. Your Oettinger example would only apply if it came exclusively in crazy straws and/or Canadian milk bags.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ehhh kemp has gone hard center since he got inaugurated - he passed a 2% raise for all state workers and a flat $3k raise for all teachers, which is normal for georgia - act like a lunatic to get elected and then try as hard as you can to make sure you can eat out at night anywhere in atlanta without people throwing food at you

but georgia is also pretty pissed about the shutdown right now, suburban republicans don't like disruptions to business, there's a shitload of federal entanglement with the atlanta metro economy - the CDC is here, messing with the airport is bad, various other federal offices use atlanta as a regional HQ like the FBI, the Fed, etc. rural south georgia got hosed by hurricane michael which hit exactly at harvest time so they're waiting for crop damage payments that aren't coming. also everyone agrees kemp is kind of a bastard, i think most people voted for him not because they actually liked him but rather because they were terrified of abrams. plus i'm sure trump's unpopularity is reflected in the suburban republicans who are generally more moderates, remember that in the primary the metro counties broke for rubio. my wife's father is normally the kind of guy who likes to make passive aggressive comments about politics and he hasn't said a single word either for or against trump which indicates to me that he's internally seething, also he's a fed contractor lol

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
really weird to see someone sending i/p thread posts to chomsky and posting his responses. the insanity portents for 2019 deepen as january marches on

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

it's too accusatory. any good ad writer/student of humans knows men are weak pissbabies who'll poo poo their pants and prolapse their eyeballs crying about being told the truth too hard. contrary to what some might think, don't be direct with men; u need to talk to men way softer, craftier than w/ women.

i thought a majority of household purchasing decisions are made by women though?

Volkerball posted:

Yeah, my HSA is 100% in their index funds right now. I opened up IRA's with them recently as well so they'll have basically all of my investments.

i kind of just assumed your retirement savings were all in metal concert tshirt equity

cinci zoo sniper posted:

mexican food in latvia

hold up, does that say "ice cream"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i'm starting a zoo