Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

A college friend that now works at the Austin airport sends me photos on occasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If Russia put nose art on fighters would that mean aggressor squadrons could do it?

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
00 there is the only one of it's kind in existence. I got to see them play around at Miramar in ....2014? They are tiny in person.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Never seen so many Mig 28s!!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
VFC-13 at Fallon has a couple in black. They look loving SHARP.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

Never seen so many Mig 28s!!

And no F-14s left to handle them :ohdear:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Dannywilson posted:

00 there is the only one of it's kind in existence. I got to see them play around at Miramar in ....2014? They are tiny in person.

Is it a 2 seater? Looks like it at a glance

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Mazz posted:

Is it a 2 seater? Looks like it at a glance

Yup! That's a full custom job right there. You need a 2 seater for training when there's nothing else really out there with the same performance envelope anymore.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Dannywilson posted:

Yup! That's a full custom job right there. You need a 2 seater for training when there's nothing else really out there with the same performance envelope anymore.

I lived next to Sheppard AFB for like fifteen years so all I see in the F-5 is a T-38 with camo, what am I missing? :confused:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Radar, different engine inlets, LERX things. Probably more that I don't know.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Why did the Short Belfast exist?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Wikipedia says to move around the Blue Streak MRBM and to get something with a then-brand-new autoland capability

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

FBS posted:

I lived next to Sheppard AFB for like fifteen years so all I see in the F-5 is a T-38 with camo, what am I missing? :confused:

As Godholio said, radar, LERX, but also more dry thrust, more wet thrust, wing shape, tail shape, airbrake design, drag chute, landing gear, some other minor stuff.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

simplefish posted:

Wikipedia says to move around the Blue Streak MRBM and to get something with a then-brand-new autoland capability

While I think the part where the RAF was all 'we need a heavy lifter' and Short working on the design makes sense, I'm baffled by the RAF then going "all we need is ten" (if so why not just buy American) and 10 years later retiring the fleet so a private company could rent them the Belfast at greatly inflated prices. These honkies got used in Gulf War 1.

e: vv good point vv

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 18, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nebakenezzer posted:

and 10 years later retiring the fleet so a private company could rent them the Belfast at greatly inflated prices

I can't imagine a more British decision than this.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

the long one wouoldn't fit in the terminal

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

sandoz posted:

the long one wouoldn't fit in the terminal

:rimshot:

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Nebakenezzer posted:

Interesting seeing a bunch of CF-100’s parked behind it. I wonder if it was over in Canada when that picture was take.

The Counk was not a sexy plane but it did it’s job well for the era it was designed in.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
RCAF squadrons deployed to the UK, so it's probably over there.

The Belgians also bought a few CF-100s so it could be them, too.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

It's Gander airport, the short time "air support command" was a thing says the photo was taken around '67-'73.

Fun fact: this picture is actually full color, this is what direct sunlight looks like in NL between November and April

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

When did Newfoundland/Labrador joind conferderation? '63?

Oh poo poo I was way off. 1949.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
This is kind of out there, but does anyone know where I can get an energy-maneuverability diagram for an A6M5 Zero? I'm polishing off Paul Kennedy's The Engineers of Victory, and he claims that the Hellcat could outperform the Zero in every way (climb rate/energy addition, yes, sustained/instantaneous turn rate though?) Found one for the Hellcat, but I can't seem to dig one up for the Zero.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
Some new footage of the Shoreham Airshow crash released during the trial of the pilot...

:aaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vyzS5rp7M4&t=94s

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Do-24ATT :swoon:

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Now that is a beautiful flying boat.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'm sorry but everything aft of the wings and under the tail plane is absolutely loving haram

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

wibble posted:

Some new footage of the Shoreham Airshow crash released during the trial of the pilot...

Holy cow, I missed hearing about this somehow. How did he survive that, unscathed it looks like. Is he Unbreakable??

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

wibble posted:

Man, that's a pretty weak defence case if "G-induced hypoxia" is the best thing they can come up with. It's not like G-forces are an unexpected phenomenon, so even if you buy that claim, his first mistake was planning that routine over a populated area without knowing how the G's would affect him. They're basically arguing "it's not pilot error, it's, uh, a different type of pilot error..."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They're hoping it's the type that doesn't earn him a guilty verdict on 11 counts of manslaughter.

That they're taking this course at all tells me he's hosed.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

An unpleasant 16 hour delay

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

loving United wins again.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

This is the one thing about flying that truly terrifies me.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just finished reading up about the Cirrus that went down at Hobby back in 2016.

The pilot had 250 hours PIC, 300 total. VFR rated. She did 3 go arounds before stalling into a flat spin and crashing into a parking lot. All three aboard were killed.

The comms are heartbreaking. She’s trying to accept all these tight pattern instructions from the tower and there isn’t a hint of frustration in her voice. They kept pulling her out of sequence because commercial traffic was closing too quickly, and she never protested or asked for vectors. Just kept accepting turns trying to get her in between other arrivals rather than handing her off to approach for resequencing.

On the third attempt they brought her in way too close and she couldn’t get down fast enough, and there was another jet inbound. They called her go around and asked her for a mid-field pattern entry and kept telling her to keep it right and low.

She raised the flaps about 15kts below the clean stall speed, started rolling left, and entered a spin around 500 feet. She didn’t attempt to deploy CAPS. Not that it would have mattered as the spin deployment altitude is 920 AGL.

Here’s the details: https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=188000

And here’s a decent video covering it: https://youtu.be/2w5gIEmVIXo

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jealous Cow posted:

They kept pulling her out of sequence because commercial traffic was closing too quickly

That's some bullshit. If ATC fucks up and sequences me too close behind a slower plane or whatever, they tell me to go around, as it should be. I don't give a gently caress if you're in a Seneca or a 737, why the gently caress should the person in front and lower get hosed over because ATC didn't space the traffic properly?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

That's some bullshit. If ATC fucks up and sequences me too close behind a slower plane or whatever, they tell me to go around, as it should be. I don't give a gently caress if you're in a Seneca or a 737, why the gently caress should the person in front and lower get hosed over because ATC didn't space the traffic properly?

Exactly, but she didn’t speak up and force them to fix their spacing.

Edit: :magical:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/02/vintage-plane-rips-runway-take-off-inwolverhampton/

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 21, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Inside Putin's IL-96-300PU: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL20cnH6_xQ

Love the remarkably ghetto mid-90s Hi-Fi console @ 1:46.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 21, 2019

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

PT6A posted:

Because Southwest Airlines brings a lot of money into the airport. More than your GA pilot’s purchase of 8 gallons of AVGAS? Gotta keep the airliners on time!

ATC’s legal obligations are 1. Safety 2. Efficiency. But in typical day to day workflows #2 is pushed a lot harder than #1.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Inside Putin's IL-96-300PU: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL20cnH6_xQ

Love the remarkably ghetto mid-90s Hi-Fi console @ 1:46.

Remarkably drab for probably the wealthiest man in history

That’s like NK level decor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Because Southwest Airlines brings a lot of money into the airport. More than your GA pilot’s purchase of 8 gallons of AVGAS? Gotta keep the airliners on time!

ATC’s legal obligations are 1. Safety 2. Efficiency. But in typical day to day workflows #2 is pushed a lot harder than #1.

ATC is completely independent of the airport, I guarantee this is 100% about convenience to the controller.