Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This may be a symptom of being terminally online but I'm actually way more interested in the timing of this and the manner than in the content. The content isn't a surprise, no crime Trump commits could be a surprise at this point, but it's weird and interesting that it's

1) Sourced from the feds

2) after a month of shutdown

3) when Trump is already facing some of the lowest numbers of his presidency

Isn't Friday when we normally get new Mueller drops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Trump below 40% approval on 538:
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/?ex_cid=rrpromo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

EwokEntourage posted:

I think a lot of journalists had seen it and it was kind of a thing journalists knew but no one could confirm / wanted to risk talking about it and buzzfeed was just like gently caress it post the whole thing

yea that's it, McCain sent it all over but Buzzfeed was the only team willing to go 'yea gently caress it we're Buzzfeed put it out there'

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cactrot posted:

My_Crimes.txt
Copy of My_Crimes.txt
Copy of My_Crimes(1).txt

Crimes_final.txt
Crimes_final_final.txt
Crimes_final_final2.txt

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

sexpig by night posted:

yea obviously this is a bad thing and lol @ everything but I'm kinda more interested in the how and why about this report and other linked things, just because that's at least a neat new angle. We already knew he was just goin buck wild on crimes but it seems like this is a strong effort to actually nail him at his lowest.

Which I mean, good start, why don't you get this baby out on the freeway and open her up and see how she can really handle

Show us some real crimes here, when are we gonna get a large adult son perp walk or something

This still feels like penny-ante. When I hear "leaks" from this white house, I want them golden.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Lemming posted:

I know!!!! That's what I'm saying! Why the gently caress is BuzzFeed not tabloid poo poo! Why do I have to live in this hosed reality where the Top Ten Bullshit Clickbait website is breaking watergate level poo poo?!?

Couple years back, BuzzFeed did this power move where they took all of their clickbait money to buy themselves the best journalistic talent they could, and then ended up with one of the best if not the best newsrooms in the US.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
This must have been percolating for release through congress and the press for a while. It explains a lot of other coverage suddenly raising impeachment at this moment- the Atlantic article in particular. I'd guess that the Buzzfeed authors revealed their headline and approximate release or publication timing conditions, and everyone else got material ready for it.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1086106577965322240

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Fallom posted:

i don't see buzzfeed tripping over its feet to publish nazi op-eds so they might as well be at the top of the pile

I absolutely agree, I just want off the ride is all

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Pigbuster posted:

Crimes_final.txt
Crimes_final_final.txt
Crimes_final_final2.txt

Come on, they’re old white guys. You know it’s all Fwd:fwd:re:fwd:Crimes.txt

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Couple years back, BuzzFeed did this power move where they took all of their clickbait money to buy themselves the best journalistic talent they could, and then ended up with one of the best if not the best newsrooms in the US.

Chris Geidner is among the best legal reporters in the country, and their news department would be worth it for him alone. But they've got tons and tons and toooons of folks on board who are great as hell.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Which I mean, good start, why don't you get this baby out on the freeway and open her up and see how she can really handle

This still feels like penny-ante. When I hear "leaks" from this white house, I want them golden.

Yea if this is a legit 'oh poo poo' story it feels like it's testing the waters with some of the 'easiest' kind of things. Like, yea no poo poo Trump's personal lawyer didn't just randomly decide to lie for him in such a high stakes situation, this feels like one of his more obvious crimes.

Could be setting the stage for the proper report coming out, could just be a little red meat, could be a lot, I'm kinda more curious about that element than this charge itself.

(lol @ the charge though, there's fuckin emails and poo poo this dumb bastard)

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

edit: beaten on a tweet

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
This is the night the President of the United States tweets out Big Chungus at 3:17am to throw everyone off the scent.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

N00ba the Hutt posted:

Come on, they’re old white guys. You know it’s all Fwd:fwd:re:fwd:Crimes.txt

pls print

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Goddamn they are dumb.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd guess that the Buzzfeed authors revealed their headline and approximate release or publication timing conditions, and everyone else got material ready for it.

i think the atlantic thing is totally random, i feel like they produce opinion content like that all the time.

and although it's good timing for coverage tomorrow, i think buzzfeed has sufficient manpower that if they had this story to release at 4pm or really any hour before ten tonight, they absolutely would've

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

And now CNN is covering it

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Conspiratiorist posted:

It genuinely owns that buzzfeed did the journalist version of 'yea I'm stripping but it's just to pay my way through school no big'.

"Yea we're mainly posting '10 cute celeb baby picks, number 4 will make you LITERALLY poo poo TO DEATH' for now but give us a couple years and we'll have dudes breaking presidential crimes"

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

sexpig by night posted:

(lol @ the charge though, there's fuckin emails and poo poo this dumb bastard)

The one positive thing about Trump and his gang getting away with this poo poo for so long is that they've been doing this shady poo poo for decades, before email was even a thing and so they are really bad at keeping it covered up. It's all just under the surface.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Lemming posted:

Why does it have to be buzzfeed, couldn't it have been wapo or NYT or some poo poo? Why do things have to get progressively more insane?

the time to accept that buzzfeed’s investigative journalism was top notch was years ago. at this point with the number of stories they’ve blown open this take is really silly

it’s the 21st century. deal with it

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Teddybear posted:

Chris Geidner is among the best legal reporters in the country, and their news department would be worth it for him alone. But they've got tons and tons and toooons of folks on board who are great as hell.

zoe tillman is the other best legal reporter in the country (apart from carol rosenberg, who is in her own league and essentially consigned to hell on the permanent gitmo beat) and happens to work there as well

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Maybe Trump will shoot himself in the oval office like Warden Norton, before the feds close in.

:allears:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

AsInHowe posted:

This is the night the President of the United States tweets out Big Chungus at 3:17am to throw everyone off the scent.

Jared, Jared get me the fat rabbit I need to diffuse this situation VERY carefully

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

I just don't have any faith that our broken system is capable of doing anything about a Trump. Any repercussions are going to happen so far down the road that they can't stop the damage being done now, just like all the judicial decisions of "Well you shouldn't have used that bullshit gerrymander but too late to change it now so the election results stand."

My biggest fear is some idiot will :decorum: and prevent Trump from getting a perp walk when he's out of office because former American presidents don't go to jail.

I'm still a huge fan of buzzfeed, although I wish the traditional news wasn't so poo poo that clickbait sites decided they had to fill the gap. It's like the Enquirer outing Edwards for his mistress and then finding out that it's actually true.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

I mean part of me want's Trump out right now and this is grounds enough for it. But I also want the investigation into his Russia connections to continue because if he get's impeached for something as "small" as telling his lawyer to lie to congress then his base will say it was a just a witch hunt. Where as if the Mueller investigation digs up tons of poo poo on him and Russia and money laundering Trump will go down in the public eye as the monumental piece of poo poo that he is.

Also we need to know about the rest of the Russian poo poo that the rest of the republicans are into.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

sexpig by night posted:

Jared, Jared get me the fat rabbit I need to diffuse this situation VERY carefully

MICK

GET ME THE FAT RABBIT, GOD drat IT

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Maybe Trump will open the government to change up the news cycle.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Otteration posted:

Also we need to know about the rest of the Russian poo poo that the rest of the republicans are into.

If he's impeached would the Mueller investigation continue? My guess is yes, but the GOP/Pence might sweep it under the rug quickly and hope everyone just forgets.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Harik posted:

I just don't have any faith that our broken system is capable of doing anything about a Trump. Any repercussions are going to happen so far down the road that they can't stop the damage being done now, just like all the judicial decisions of "Well you shouldn't have used that bullshit gerrymander but too late to change it now so the election results stand."

My biggest fear is some idiot will :decorum: and prevent Trump from getting a perp walk when he's out of office because former American presidents don't go to jail.

I'm still a huge fan of buzzfeed, although I wish the traditional news wasn't so poo poo that clickbait sites decided they had to fill the gap. It's like the Enquirer outing Edwards for his mistress and then finding out that it's actually true.

Oh unless they have a tape of him literally shooting a Crimean dude with an ak-47 while Putin laughs and claps he's 100% not gonna be busted until he's out of office. There's WAY too much 'we have to RESPECT THE OFFICE' to make them break the 'perp walk on the white house lawn' glass for white collar/conspiracy poo poo.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I think a fair outcome is the seizure and liquidation of the Trump Organization assets to fund federal worker backpay.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Harik posted:

I just don't have any faith that our broken system is capable of doing anything about a Trump. Any repercussions are going to happen so far down the road that they can't stop the damage being done now, just like all the judicial decisions of "Well you shouldn't have used that bullshit gerrymander but too late to change it now so go ahead."

I mean yeah I absolutely don't expect Trump to face any legal repercussions from this before January 21, 2021, and even then it's not a guarantee. Everything that happens before that is about getting as many non-chuds elected to Congress as possible and making sure Trump doesn't get a second term.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Jack2142 posted:

I think a fair outcome is the seizure and liquidation of the Trump Organization assets to fund federal worker backpay.

:hmmyes:

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Popete posted:

If he's impeached would the Mueller investigation continue? My guess is yes, but the GOP/Pence might sweep it under the rug quickly and hope everyone just forgets.

Pence probably will, yes. He knows he won't get a term on his own and despite trump not rewarding loyalty his chuds remember who helped dur leeder. Could get a decently paying gig on CNN because they always want right-wing voices to promote.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So what is the GOP messaging going to be?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I love how Trump looped Ivanka and Don Jr in on this, but not Eric.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mcmagic posted:

'this is fine, normal actually.'

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

mcmagic posted:

big chungus

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

mcmagic posted:

Deep concern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Cohen is a known liar, he's lying, produce evidence of Trump on video saying "I WANT YOU TO DO CRIMES", etc.