Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Max gear BRD is a delight to play. So so much crit :stwoon:

And the sheer burst of having a DRG tether, Littany, Trick Attack, and Chain Stratagem to back up the opener is *wild*

BrightWing fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Thundarr posted:

What would you even learn from Bismark though? His ult is the only thing he attacks you with directly.

All the weather attacks are from him, so like that giant rear end Water bomb he can drop, the Tornado knockback, or the Thunderstrikes.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

BrightWing posted:

Max gear BRD is a delight to play. So so much crit :stwoon:

And the sheer burst of having a DRG tether, Littany, Trick Attack, and Chain Stratagem to back up the opener is *wild*

70% crit chance and your dots still only crit like 4 times tops during your burst phase :v:

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Bolow posted:

70% crit chance and your dots still only crit like 4 times tops during your burst phase :v:

Yeah but its offset by the times I get so many Pitch Perfect stacks that the CD isnt even back up before Its ready again. 30k PP is lots of fun.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

So who's got tips on how to get good at Mahjong. I get the rules, broadly, but I'm looking at my hand and I can scarcely comprehend why the hint says to discard such-and-such tile.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

SettingSun posted:

So who's got tips on how to get good at Mahjong. I get the rules, broadly, but I'm looking at my hand and I can scarcely comprehend why the hint says to discard such-and-such tile.

Probably based on the probabilities that you'll draw the correct tiles for a meld with that tile

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

SettingSun posted:

Keep this up in another window:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Thundarr posted:

I want to learn Sophia's ability to force everything you're fighting to shift 20 yalms to the right and off a cliff.

What would you even learn from Bismark though? His ult is the only thing he attacks you with directly.

The water bombs he drops on you.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

SettingSun posted:

The recommendations take into account your waits, and what it expects the waits of your opponents to be, heavily leaning towards the latter. It's a little naive though, it doesn't take yaku or furiten into account so following recommendations can put you in a position where you can't win. Once someone calls riichi or it decides that someone is in tenpai it will almost never suggest you cut a tile that is the least bit unsafe.

As for getting good, you need to actively be looking at the discard ponds and thinking about what will get you to the best possible tenpai with the best possible waits, and also have an idea what the others are waiting for and trying not to play into their hands. Basically get the math the recommendations engine does into your head, a lot of time what I've already decided to do is the same as what it's recommending, but you need to be able to ignore it and make a good case why.

There's a ton of stuff on mahjong strategy out there, and two threads in trad games about it. Check it out

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 17, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vermain posted:

HQing even level stuff post-50 becomes a genuine challenge. I'd recommend a HQ MH/OH at a bare minimum, although full HQ gear with materia melds and a high CP food is ideal.

Honestly, though, the hardest part of crafting a lot of the early HW stuff is that several components require ridiculous amounts of materials that are no longer actively being farmed. Void Glue requires 2 Pudding Flesh per, which is either rarely obtained as a drop from one of three level 50 dungeons (meaning you have to do them synced) or as a retainer venture. If you haven't been collecting a lot of it in advance, you could either end up paying out the nose or simply waiting a week to get enough poo poo together to finish the next tier of leves.

Yeah, I noticed that a lot of this stuff uses a bunch of mats, many of which are very expensive on the MB. I'm thinking I might just grind 50-60 with Moogle quests alone (while checking for any GC turn-ins that aren't priced too crazily).

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I noticed that a lot of this stuff uses a bunch of mats, many of which are very expensive on the MB. I'm thinking I might just grind 50-60 with Moogle quests alone (while checking for any GC turn-ins that aren't priced too crazily).

It's not a bad option if you're not hyper focused on getting to 70 immediately. My rough estimate is that it takes about 2.5-3 weeks of Moogle dailies at max rep to get a single class from 50-60. Given that we're on the final patch of Stormblood, you've got plenty of time.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

SettingSun posted:

What the hints are generally doing on offense is trying to maximize tile acceptance, the number of possible draws that will bring your hand closer to tenpai. Naturally, it's a pretty good way to make tenpai quickly, although not necessarily the fastest way for your hand to actually win.

The fundamental technique for building your hand is the "five block method". Since you will (almost) always be winning with four melds and one pair, you can group your hand into "blocks" of two or three tiles that can be used together in some way, either completed melds, or stuff like 45, 468, 112, 99, etc. Some more complicated shapes, like 45567, you can just count as two blocks, without worrying about how to divide it further. If you have 6+ blocks in your hand, discard from the least useful one. Otherwise, look to get rid of a floating tile.

For example, suppose you have this hand:

You might divide up the blocks like this:
(779m) (23p) (55p) (3566s) (BBB)

In this view, the souzu are an oversized block of four tiles, and that 3s doesn't let us make use of any additional tiles, so that's the one to discard. Once you have a solid grasp on visualizing your hand this way, you can start adjusting your block decomposition based on the situation, to try to get the best mix of speed, value, and safety.

Here's a tougher one to chew on. What would you discard from this (fyi the dora is West)?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

hey, i know casting gear has an arms gear that's just a long sleeve of tattoos or something like that that removes the sleeve of the shirt they're wearing to display it

do tanks have anything like that?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The Woad Skywarrior from Sohm Al normal has a tattooed arm, but it's fairly covered.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The Woad Skywarrior from Sohm Al normal has a tattooed arm, but it's fairly covered.

it's less that i'm looking for tattoos specifically and more "i have a coat in mind, was wondering if there were any arm options that would shorten the sleeves"

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

Just got back in after about a year out of the game. Going to start / level up red mage to get my sea legs. I've got about 20 million gold and 2 classes at 70. I guess I can get prepped for Shadowbringers based on that. My MSQ is at "Tidings from the East." Should be fun!

e: Only concession is that my guild broke up. Probably going to transfer over to goon servers soon.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I'm leveling WAR for the first time and this class does not seem fair in the least. Also I will shirk anyone that doesn't provide me more TP.

Q: How much damage do I lose if I stick with my DH melded gear instead of going for Crit gear on my WAR?

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along

Throne of Bhalz posted:

Just got back in after about a year out of the game. Going to start / level up red mage to get my sea legs. I've got about 20 million gold and 2 classes at 70. I guess I can get prepped for Shadowbringers based on that. My MSQ is at "Tidings from the East." Should be fun!

e: Only concession is that my guild broke up. Probably going to transfer over to goon servers soon.

How'd you get so much money?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

Money really isn't hard to get. I have about 60 million and this is me being pretty cavalier with my money in game. If I cared more about it, I could have far more than that.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Money really isn't hard to get. I have about 60 million and this is me being pretty cavalier with my money in game. If I cared more about it, I could have far more than that.

Very insightful.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Well Im far enough gone into crafting that Im setting up my own macros for making yarn

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Captain Cappy posted:

Very insightful.

Run maps and craft poo poo on patch day that sells well, or gather the poo poo people are buying to craft. It ain't rocket surgery.

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

Paid attention to market trends while crafting. I basically just made whatever was selling well and leveled up that way.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

For the incredibly lazy person's road to making money, I sell materia. Crafting materia tends to be relatively steady since it's really the only area of the game that super rewards full melds. Sure, raiding can benefit but squeezing in a tiny bit of stat in combat isn't as important as it is for crafting.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
What's the housing situation like on Excal right now? I'm thinking about switching over ahead of the data center shuffle rush.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

small bird pudding posted:

What's the housing situation like on Excal right now? I'm thinking about switching over ahead of the data center shuffle rush.

All full due to the demolition pause. You might get lucky and snag one as someone vacates (like for a realm transfer) but I wouldn't count on it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

isk posted:

All full due to the demolition pause. You might get lucky and snag one as someone vacates (like for a realm transfer) but I wouldn't count on it.

That's a good point actually. If you plan to stay on your server when the new data center opens, there's a good chance that lots of housing will open up as people transfer out so current homeless will have a good shot at a house. If you're the one doing the transferring, you'll want to get it out of the way immediately if you want to snag a home on your new server before THEIR homeless grab them all.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

isk posted:

Well drat. Ah well, I might go ahead and transfer anyway.

Also, I just finished up the DRG 70 quest, and I always thought Vedrfolnir was a female dragon. Maybe the lvl 60 SB quest mentioned he was Orn Khai's dad, I forgot. Nice to see Estinien again though.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

hey folks, what boots are these?

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Looks like Militia Sabatons dyed jet black.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Run maps and craft poo poo on patch day that sells well, or gather the poo poo people are buying to craft. It ain't rocket surgery.

I feel like you're basically saying "be an omnicrafter, and a well geared one at that" which, while not inaccurate, is probably out of reach of somebody who is asking how to make money.

Like, I understand why this is, but it seems like most people answer "how do I make gil in FFXIV" with "first, have a lot of gil,".

Edit: To contribute--I'm hardly rich, but an easy and attainable way to make cash is to grind a botanist or miner up to 70 and hit ethereal nodes for the stuff that reduces into duskglow aethersand. The 340 yellow scrip gear is more than up to the task, just spend a Saturday looping around hitting yellow scrip nodes or a couple weeks of custom deliveries and you'll be kitted out.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 18, 2019

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Veev posted:

Looks like Militia Sabatons dyed jet black.

thx bby

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I have never crafted for profit in my life, and still have an assload of gil just from selling stuff from retainer ventures, doing maps, and selling materia. That's hundreds of thousands a week depending on how hard you stay on top of it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Cabbit posted:

Like, I understand why this is, but it seems like most people answer "how do I make gil in FFXIV" with "first, have a lot of gil,".

That's outright wrong.

The first rule of making gil in FFXIV is not spending it.
There's very little you actually need to purchase with gil and simply keeping up on your passive income (ventures mainly) will make you more than enough money eventually.

Everything past that is generally 'the more effort you put in, the more gil you'll make.' You can take the stuff you can get from non-gil sources (ventures, crafting scrips, tomestones once you've gotten all the gear) and then throw that on the Market Board at a slight discount to the lowest seller (anything up to covering the 'hey you're not buying this in the right city' tax is a good benchmark) will make you a couple hundred thousand a week.

Then you can always sell materials, especially popular intermediates (the 'more effort' above typically boils down to 'more market research' in practice) to profit off of people's lazyness.

You can go further than that and identify the ebb and flow of your server's market board and engage in the stock market practice of buying stuff on the cheap to resell later at the expensive.

And at the top end of making big bucks is basically being a 'server first' crafter, making new HQ gear as it's just introduced and making millions off of each sale. That requires tons of work and up-front cash though, since that pretty much requires keeping your materia melds up to date.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
It's not going to be helpful for about another 6 months but looking at the patch notes for new items and how to get them is the old reliable. I've coasted by on crafting beast tribe tokens and new dungeon pets, just gotta find a hot iron to strike like thavnarian onions and seeds this past week.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Or get yourself a regular weekly group doing treasure maps. Even a bad day can net you 150-200k gil just from gil drops from chests and mobs, anything good on top of that can lead to an easy couple mil a night

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You don't even need a regular group, just get in the map LS and say "I want to do a map" and 7 people will magically appear most of the time

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

i will travel halfway across the planet at a chance to play the coinflip treasure dungeon

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

homeless snail posted:

You don't even need a regular group, just get in the map LS and say "I want to do a map" and 7 people will magically appear most of the time

Or hell even in the Discord/your FC. Going "I got a map or two, who else wants in" will get a few 70s hitting the MB for some high maps.

Goon map runs are also generally "everyone rolls for anything they can, except if a map drops, that belongs to whoever's map we're doing" so even if you come in without a map to search for, you can get good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Instead of doing all that tedious sounding stuff, just slaughter the rich in their Kugane homes and seize the penta-melded crafting equipment they've stolen from the working class. Death to Godbert! Power to The Proletariat!

Edit: The most tedious way possible to make gil is to level desynthesis and run dungeons all day long rolling on everything you can disassemble. It ain't much, but it's honest work.

Captain Cappy fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 18, 2019