Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Susan sarandon owns and if she can swing it I'd be glad to see her in Dune

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

For some reason, was picturing him doing Leto in the manner he does the mayor in Portlandia.

adebisi lives posted:

I hope dune fan Susan Sarandon gets in somehow.

A slight tangent over a minor character, but maybe slip her in as Reverend Mother Ramallo, who is the old reverend mother in Sietch Tabr before Jessica. In the Lynch film, I found out recently, she was played by Italian actress, Silvana Mangano, who I'm familiar with only from this clip of a song I really like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZqB2CczTes

(Warning: scandalous singing in a nightclub with bare shoulders and capri pants and *clutches pearls* ETHNIC men)

I also found this picture of her, which has nothing to do with Dune, but probably would have fit in Jodorowksy's version and I chuckled a bit picturing Susan Sarandon wearing it.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
In my minds eye, Jessica strong resembles Susan Sarandon, but mixed in with a good chunk of Marina Sirtis

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
I posted this a little while ago but Sarandon was in the children of dune mini series and gave this interview where it looks like she's try to explain why she likes the books after smoking a bowl and being put in front of a camera:

https://youtu.be/_QcIQI4gGns

EDIT - This reminded me of the even better behind the scenes interview of notable ultraspice addict garey busey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF63d5SubYU&t=136s

adebisi lives fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 18, 2019

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

basic hitler posted:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

basic hitler posted:

Seconding this, forever.

e: or thirding, whichever.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

In my minds eye, Jessica strong resembles Susan Sarandon, but mixed in with a good chunk of Marina Sirtis

Maybe Sarandon at age 25-29, but SS's features are pretty severe in her 30s. Jessica is specifically described as having a round face.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Maybe Sarandon at age 25-29, but SS's features are pretty severe in her 30s. Jessica is specifically described as having a round face.

I mean you don't take descriptions of characters from books as the absolute, final goddamn gospel truth from which there shall be no deviation from when making a movie. Unless Stellan Skarsgaard is going to put on like 500 lbs. or wear a fatsuit and poo poo he's not going to match the description of the Baron either.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Randarkman posted:

I mean you don't take descriptions of characters from books as the absolute, final goddamn gospel truth from which there shall be no deviation from when making a movie. Unless Stellan Skarsgaard is going to put on like 500 lbs. or wear a fatsuit and poo poo he's not going to match the description of the Baron either.

Maybe YOU don't :colbert:

Also, Sarandon's personality, gait, and cadence are all a complete mismatch for Jessica, so...

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 18, 2019

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Changing one's personality, gait, and cadence for a role is kind of like the core of what most actors do.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Maybe YOU don't :colbert:

Also, Sarandon's personality, gait, and cadence are all a complete mismatch for Jessica, so...

lol when did you see Jessica walk, or hear her talk in the books?

e; seriously lolling at this all time great actress having the wrong gait to play a fictional character from a sf novel

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

but she's got a Harkonnen Brow

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

phasmid posted:

She was also in the Mill and the Cross, I just recognized. That was a good movie.

45 years was also excellent.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

She does not have the eyes of the Ibad. Strike her from the list!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

tactlessbastard posted:

45 years was also excellent.

Just read a brief synopsis, going to watch it later. Thank you!

R.M. Mohiam: "drat it, Janet."

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy poo poo I thought CYBERTREX 8000 was a made up thing making fun of Brian Herbert but it's real goddamn hahaha

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
The Baron being a fatass seems part of his character, like being a devious, strategic mastermind and also a sadist who rapes boys.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

free hubcaps posted:

lol when did you see Jessica walk, or hear her talk in the books?

All the time, my dude, I engaged my prescience and went to the place where other goons can't go.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The Baron being a fatass seems part of his character, like being a devious, strategic mastermind and also a sadist who rapes boys.

If Kenneth McMillan could wear a silicone fatsuit 35 years ago I'm sure they can come up with something for Skarsgaard.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

All the time, my dude, I engaged my prescience and went to the place where other goons can't go.

Your avatar is hilarious, by the way--what's it from?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

Your avatar is hilarious, by the way--what's it from?

The Devils, by Ken Russell, one of the best films ever made.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Maybe in another, more blessed timeline, we're discussing the minutae of Ken Russell's Dune.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Paul goes into the desert to be converted by the Fremen Reverend Mother, forge the Weirding Modules, and slay The Wyrm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jjFsciRauU

Paul changes the water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40FiMy-ak0k

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Devils, by Ken Russell, one of the best films ever made.

QFT

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Elissimpark posted:

Maybe in another, more blessed timeline, we're discussing the minutae of Ken Russell's Dune.

What about Kurt Russell's Dune?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm Muad'dib.

I'm Muad'dib.

I'm Muad'dib!

I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib!

I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib! I'm Muad'dib!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

Ken Russell's Dune starring Kurt Russell as Duncan Idaho.

Escape from Arakeen.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Escape from salusa secundus

Dispatched to save the emperor's daughter

This maps kinda well

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
the Dune book rules, i've never read the others because I don't give a gently caress. Love to think for hours on end about riding those drat worms like they are a "bucking bronco"

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

ELI PORTER posted:

the Dune book rules, i've never read the others because I don't give a gently caress. Love to think for hours on end about riding those drat worms like they are a "bucking bronco"

Pounded in the Butt by Shai-hulud.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

ELI PORTER posted:

Read God-Emperor

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Elissimpark posted:

Pounded in the Butt by Shai-hulud.

Slammed in the Butt by the Manifestation of my Prescient Dread of the Inescapability of the Golden Path.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Pounded in the Butt by

Ratatozsk posted:

Slammed in the Butt by the Manifestation of my Prescient Dread of the Inescapability of the Golden Path.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

Pounded in the Butt by

Both are acceptable

https://twitter.com/chucktingle/status/1086319006041006080?s=21

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Oh, I wasn't correcting them - I was getting pounded in the Butt by Ratatosk's post Slammed in the Butt by...

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

Oh, I wasn't correcting them - I was getting pounded in the Butt by Ratatosk's post Slammed in the Butt by...

:hmmyes:

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Elissimpark posted:

A ghola title, eh?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I wonder what Mira Furlan is doing these days?

Johnny Aztec posted:

John Carpenter's Ghosts of Dune

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

I've been reading wikipedia, and it looks like the adab (the demanding memory that comes upon you itself) is a real thing called involuntary memory retrieval. Your body is just like "hey, I've been looking at our surroundings, and you're gonna need this memory".

Adab, apparently, is also a real islamic idea, but refers rather to proper action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Memory and sensation are very strongly linked in general, that shouldn't be a surprise.