Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MIND. BLOWN.

https://twitter.com/rudemrlang/status/1085473932189331456

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

The_Doctor posted:

What are they like to read? Overly analytical like The Unfolding Text or actually fun explorations?

I think they strike a good balance between analyzing what went into a story and going a little gonzo with their readings. The one on The Ultimate Foe is great because I never had a sense of just how chaotic the various scripts for that mess were.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Dumbest take ever?

https://twitter.com/trevorbaxendale/status/1085515037404479490

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Well I would never get so pissy about a few pixels on the cover pic on my phone's screen, but not gonna lie if BF used the newest theme instead of the appropriate one for each Doctor...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I, personally, refuse to purchase another extended universe science fiction radio drama about my favorite space wizard until Nick Briggs takes a stand by rolling up to Chibnall's house in a Dalek prop and spray-painting "PC police" on his windows using the eyestalk.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

marktheando posted:

Nobody talks about Planet of Giants but it’s one of my favourite Hartnells. It’s a fun story with charmingly terrible special effects.

I’m onto Dalek Invasion of Earth now which is also very cool and good.

"Planet of the Giants" is total peak Hartnell. No technobabble solution, no new superpowers. Just the Doctor and his friends breaking poo poo and starting fires until the Bad Guys' plan falls apart and/or they explode.

"Dalek Invasion of Earth" is also a good example of this, for that matter.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Hey, I've got that Annual!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Ironically this latest series felt about a competent as a current-day Big Finish so they'd probably like it if they gave it a try.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Goddamn imagine being so incensed and furious about a loving logo?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

Goddamn imagine being so incensed and furious about a loving logo?

I don’t think it’s actually about the logo at all

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Honestly I can't really tell which would be sadder/more pathetic.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

And, of course, the funniest thing is BF provides the option of reversible covers that have era appropriate logos.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Shoot, I'm not a true fan. I wish someone would have told me. :ohdear:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I see season 11 has caught a bad case of Last Jedi syndrome over on Rotten Tomatoes (i.e. "audience score" pile-driven into the low 20s). I assume the usual suspects are to blame.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I see season 11 has caught a bad case of Last Jedi syndrome over on Rotten Tomatoes (i.e. "audience score" pile-driven into the low 20s). I assume the usual suspects are to blame.

I assume the answer is ":lol: no" but do sites like this not have measures in place to remove or clear out obvious attempts to manipulate (for good or bad) scores?

Davros1 posted:

And, of course, the funniest thing is BF provides the option of reversible covers that have era appropriate logos.

Seriously! Everybody is catered to but people still get absolutely loving livid at just the thought that the possibility exists of something different.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

Guess that means Series 12 is gonna get quietly cancelled by way of just never being mentioned again.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

Guess that means Series 12 is gonna get quietly cancelled by way of just never being mentioned again.

I thought you had me on ignore.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/haruspis/status/1085904685737918464

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Capaldi's hair was so beautiful by his final year :shobon:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jerusalem posted:

I assume the answer is ":lol: no" but do sites like this not have measures in place to remove or clear out obvious attempts to manipulate (for good or bad) scores?

The only service I know that has countermeasures against review bombing is Steam, but even that's to prevent fake games with false numbers.

I'm guessing it's really hard to figure out how to actually implement those measures. How can you reliably tell a deliberate review bomb apart from something that legitimately nobody likes, like Holmes and Watson?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It's impossible to determine a person's intent online, and even if you COULD, there's also the issue of one's subconscious.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cleretic posted:

The only service I know that has countermeasures against review bombing is Steam, but even that's to prevent fake games with false numbers.

I'm guessing it's really hard to figure out how to actually implement those measures. How can you reliably tell a deliberate review bomb apart from something that legitimately nobody likes, like Holmes and Watson?

Could do it something like noting that a bunch of reviews more than x standard deviations from the previous (or later) average all dumped in at the same time, and then just eliminating all reviews from that period from the calculus.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

On another forum some idiot linked a YouTube video where a guy was boasting about how the dropping RT score showed that Series 11 was trash, seemingly missing that the score dropping down over time after the series had ended was a pretty good sign that it's a result of a campaign to bring the score down.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CommonShore posted:

Could do it something like noting that a bunch of reviews more than x standard deviations from the previous (or later) average all dumped in at the same time, and then just eliminating all reviews from that period from the calculus.

Senor Tron posted:

On another forum some idiot linked a YouTube video where a guy was boasting about how the dropping RT score showed that Series 11 was trash, seemingly missing that the score dropping down over time after the series had ended was a pretty good sign that it's a result of a campaign to bring the score down.

This might be a good call for a platform with singular, established, unchanging items, yeah; to at least have a human eye look at them. In gaming this is out of play because it's entirely possible that a patch or DLC could straight gently caress up a game, but with movies or TV show seasons that's not gonna happen with any level of regularity. You wouldn't want it automated, though, because you'd still want to permit an R. Kelly scenario where later information lets people look back at past creations and oh god.

Of course, this system won't actually be put in place at all because Rotten Tomatoes and the like don't give the slightest gently caress about veracity; Steam only does it to stop people literally scamming their system of money. I feel like the only time that anything will ever be done about this will be when Captain Marvel comes out, because you know they'll pull this poo poo again there, and I can't imagine Disney will take them bombing a tentpole movie of theirs a second time for the same reason. Or maybe they will, and we're at mercy of the chuds forevermore.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cleretic posted:

Or maybe they will, and we're at mercy of the chuds forevermore.

James Gunn.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Why not just review bomb them but positively

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Counterpoint: there was no review-bombing campaign against Wonder Woman.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

Counter Conterpoint: Wonder Woman wasn't a remake or a sequel to something terminally online shitheads claimed as an integral part of their childhood.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTC4gMxivII

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
To be fair I've seen plenty of progressive criticism of series 11 too- the white man gets all the character development, the gay characters all die etc. Those criticisms seem to come largely from Moffat fans though, so maybe they're overreacting to a downgrade in the writing

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

remusclaw posted:

Counter Conterpoint: Wonder Woman wasn't a remake or a sequel to something terminally online shitheads claimed as an integral part of their childhood.

I was responding to the Captain Marvel remark.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I would think normally if there were a bunch of crazy people voting something down because there's a woman lead there would be counter voters that are voting up if a material is good.

We just had a thread that was split on the writing. There will be no positive push because there's no reason for one.

I really wanted them to knock this series out of the park, but I literally enjoyed only 3 or 4 of the episodes. Is that a 20%? No. I'd say more of a 40 to 50 but if other people feel like me that would explain the lack of a positive rating pushback. My 40 isn't going to raise that up much.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edward Mass posted:

The people who do this always seem to be really hung up on DC movies (which is always odd because it's not like the movies ever support their views). You know, I'm pretty sure they grew out of the people griping that Disney had bribed Rotten Tomatoes to give Batman v Superman bad reviews. :shrug:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I was going to post something, but cape flick talk belongs in Cinema Discusso. Regardless, one of these days we’re going to need to be able to separate the stories being told and the portrayers on the stage in big-budget productions.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Of course it is very rich that these sort's of organized efforts are so often justified with accusations that the other side is engaging in a far more covert and far reaching conspiracy that needs to counteracted.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Listen, I don’t care if 1976 Tom Baker was the Doctor in 2018, I DON’T GIVE A poo poo ABOUT TIM SHAW.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It was a fine season. Not the dregs and nothing out of this world. Just fine.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Harlock posted:

It was a fine season. Not the dregs and nothing out of this world. Just fine.

The first of a Doctor’s seasons are almost always rough bc the writers are still adjusting to things. Series 12 should be a lot tighter.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Chokes McGee posted:

The first of a Doctor’s seasons are almost always rough bc the writers are still adjusting to things. Series 12 should be a lot tighter.

Excepting Matt Smith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

SiKboy posted:

Excepting Matt Smith.

Yeah his was the opposite. Moffat had so many great ideas and then just got progressively worse.