Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hakkesshu posted:

What are some hot tips for Alien Isolation if I've never played it?

Walking is good, running is not (it's loud).

Hide in lockers whenever appropriate. Put the game down whenever you need to. It's very tense, and you will need the release.

Edit: cat tax

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Hopefully the atmosphere can be maintained and it doesn't get too repetitive.

Hm. Well, about that...

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Hakkesshu posted:

You can throw a noise maker directly above you in the air to confuse the alien.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

So far I have found you should Always Be Saving.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Alien: Isolation is fantastic but I never ever want to play it again.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I would play it again with a pulse rifle.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

My buddy was pointing out how well this meme format worked for these two, we riffed a few captions back and forth and I had to do it.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jan 19, 2019

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Tenzarin posted:

I would play it again with a pulse rifle.

Same. Might have been a cool unlockable or even a downloadable mission where you can run and gun a little.

I loved it for a long stretch but never beat it due to too much backtracking. It was smart to add the face huggers and the engineers to give you something you could actually kill but at a certain point I just lost interest and felt I'd seen everything the game had to show me.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hakkesshu posted:

I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hakkesshu posted:

It's way too loving long for its own good, so don't feel bad if you get bored of it before the end.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Try to keep moving as much as possible. The alien is kind of tethered to you, so if you just hide in one place for too long you'll never get anywhere because it'll want to keep patrolling around you indefinitely.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Playing on easy is perfectly valid.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hakkesshu posted:

There's a part where you have to go through a medical section that's a brick wall for some. It can be frustrating because you don't have a lot of gear yet but there's also two points during it where there's not a lot of distraction kind of stuff around so the alien is really zeroed in on your general location. This section was awesome to me both times I played it but don't be afraid to look at a guide so you can just take the most direct route through if you get frustrated. This part is sort of like where the game really begins proper and where you get a real feel for how the alien works too.

The alien doesn't actually have very good peripheral "vision," so if you see it but it's facing perpendicular to you don't panic or do anything noisy, just walk away before it starts turning its head or walking in your direction. You don't have to always be crouching to be silent just walk slowly - if you crawl all the time you move slowly enough that the alien may actually sniff you out more quickly! :getin: The game is really well paced with this, like you can and should want to crawl around and hide in lockers and under desks and stuff but you don't can't do it forever.

You'll run into some little like power boxes you use to solve some things to progress but there's many that also let you do things like turn lights or alarms on and off, basically to do distracting things in different rooms to lure stuff to or from places. Most important of these, you can turn the air filtration off in some rooms, which makes them smoky and will make it harder for everyone to see but it will also actually confuse the alien a bit/make it track you a little more lazily too.

If there's assholes blocking your path (some of them will warn you first, so you can just back away and find another way around, you can even get an achievement for not killing anyone) and it gets frustrating don't be afraid to do stuff that will draw the alien into area, then you can just carefully split while the alien goes to down on them. :)

Sometimes you'll see a puddle of saliva dripping from an open vent above you, uh, don't walk under those.

Don't be afraid to play the game on easy, it's a difficult game because the alien is close and sees you, you die instantly, and you're not very durable against any other kind of damage either. Do keep in mind though that the main thing the difficulty changes is how aggressive and "smart" the alien is at sniffing you out - some folks have said that playing on easy you barely even see the alien at all which does make it easier, but the exhilaration of narrowly avoiding the alien is very satisfying and tense so maybe they could have balanced the easy mode a little better to still keep it around more.

If you're really near the alien/etc., they can hear the motion tracker if you have it out. :aaaaa:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 21, 2019

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Alien: Isolation rules but its one of the few games I have yet to finish because every time the Xenomorph shows up I have to nope right the gently caress out as soon as it either goes away or it catches/kills me.

I highly recommend you go into the options menu and disable the one where the Alien can listen to the microphone in the controller, because having it shriek and immediately pounce on me when I said "oh, gently caress!" When it showed up randomly was only cool once.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I found out last night that it's peripheral vision isn't great when I exited a locker in medical, just as it happened to walk into the same room (the one with the medical staff's names on the board). So it was one side of the central console and I was on the other, and it failed to spot me. I noped pretty hard and went back into the locker for a few moments to breathe.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I highly recommend you go into the options menu and disable the one where the Alien can listen to the microphone in the controller, because having it shriek and immediately pounce on me when I said "oh, gently caress!" When it showed up randomly was only cool once.
Wow that’s an evil feature. Combining that with VR seems pretty intense.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

biracial bear for uncut posted:

What the gently caress, this is a thing?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's absolutely a thing. :D There's also an option where if you have a camera (even just the PS4 camera if you have that) you can have head tracking for when you're holding down the button to lean/peak around corners so you can just tilt your head a little to look around/over/through stuff. You don't have to go to the options for these as when you start a new game it will explicitly tell you these are a thing and ask if you want to play with them on or off.

Game fuckin' rules.

Manhunt is still the best use of the microphone though because you had to be wearing a headset. You HAD to be wearing a headset to hear Brian Cox jerking himself off about how enthusiastic he is about you sneaking up on and brutally murdering people but also the people could hear you breathing/talking/whatever through the headset which could give you away.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Was that a console only feature because I don't remember either of those things in the PC version, gonna boot it up right now to check.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

It's absolutely a thing. :D There's also an option where if you have a camera (even just the PS4 camera if you have that) you can have head tracking for when you're holding down the button to lean/peak around corners so you can just tilt your head a little to look around/over/through stuff. You don't have to go to the options for these as when you start a new game it will explicitly tell you these are a thing and ask if you want to play with them on or off.

Game fuckin' rules.

Manhunt is still the best use of the microphone though because you had to be wearing a headset. You HAD to be wearing a headset to hear Brian Cox jerking himself off about how enthusiastic he is about you sneaking up on and brutally murdering people but also the people could hear you breathing/talking/whatever through the headset which could give you away.

Oh poo poo, I remember that in Manhunt, that was great. You could also use the headset to deliberately lure people, I used to get big laughs out of shouting gibberish or insults into the mic to get enemies’ attention.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

Was that a console only feature because I don't remember either of those things in the PC version, gonna boot it up right now to check.

I only played it on console and just assume it was on both.

Xenomrph posted:

You could also use the headset to deliberately lure people, I used to get big laughs out of shouting gibberish or insults into the mic to get enemies’ attention.

Hell yeah. :black101:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I checked it out in the PC release and there doesn't seem to be on option for either of those things.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

s.i.r.e. posted:

One of the Splinter Cells did this, too. (Chaos Theory I think)

I realised this when I was playing coop with a buddy and my girlfriend shouted upstairs to ask me what drink I wanted. All the guards were startled by a shadowy agent suddenly shouting "grab me a whisky" and opened fire

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's way too loving long for its own good, so don't feel bad if you get bored of it before the end.

Such a shame that a video game that is "too long" is looked down upon.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 22, 2019

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I so much want to play Isolation but the motion sickness gets me within 20 minutes every time. It's the first game I can't play because of it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

I have to agree, like the very first time I played it I got like about halfway through it and just sort of stopped and moved onto other stuff and like, that was fine? The game was amazing and I got a lot out of it even from that. I did go back to complete it again later but like with movies, we remember the good ones but video game endings and stories are pretty blah overall anyway. Isolation's ending is pretty lame and the meat of the game isn't "look how amazing this story is" it's "look how incredibly well we integrated the story into the computer terminals and visuals and sound and stuff" and how well it integrates video game logic and progression into its setting. I loving love the game but if you get all you're going to get out of it without beating or going through a game with a trainer or something that doesn't really make it bad game.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I checked it out in the PC release and there doesn't seem to be on option for either of those things.

That's so weird honestly. IIRC it doesn't officially support VR helmets (though people have played it as such and it's said to be insanely intense that way) but maybe they were planning to have it do that when it launched on PC so they didn't bother with anything else?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 22, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tenzarin posted:

Keeping things longer than necessary is just bloat, especially when the gameplay doesn't have much change by the 14th hour.

Neo Rasa posted:

That's so weird honestly. IIRC it doesn't officially support VR helmets (though people have played it as such and it's said to be insanely intense that way) but maybe they were planning to have it do that when it launched on PC so they didn't bother with anything else?

Funny enough, it actually did officially support the Oculus Rift upon release because there was a special VR demo that they had built for conventions and such and the code was still in the game.

Then they ripped it out with one of the updates. :suicide:

However, there's a single-man project called MotherVR that makes the game fully playable in VR and it works flawlessly last I played it and there's been several updates for it since. It's the most loving terrifying thing I've ever experienced. When I tried it I did the Crew Expendable and Last Survivor DLCs and it was amazing, I was on the Nostromo, I was on the ship that my favorite film takes place on. It didn't feel like a game anymore, but a full experience and a dream come true, until I actually advanced forward and I had to deal with the Alien.

Ducking through the halls of the Nostromo and watching the motion tracker just gets your heart racing and you turn into a bitch, but then you see it and things get worse. When I first saw the Alien I was literally like Parker when he's emphasizing how big it is to the rest of the crew ("This motherfucker is HUGE!"), you really don't get a sense to scale until you see it in VR as it duck through a door and stands up. It's the biggest loving thing, it makes you feel even more god drat helpless.

It's such an immersive experience, you can almost feel the mist that randomly shoots out of the walls on the ship on your skin. It's incredibly convincing.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

God drat it you’re going to convince me to upgrade my PC, buy the game on PC, and invest in a VR headset. Fuuuuuuuck. :retrogames:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Regarding the VR, shame they took support out of it. When the game first started development VR was getting hype and there was the potential of platform agnostic VR hardware so instead of having to get $$$ worth of hardware for every device or games that only officially work on one helmet you'd have a situation where, you know, the average human that plays games might actually be able to afford to get into VR. But they all sure hosed that over hard. If they hadn't I'm sure Isolation would have had a wide range of support for it and even now that the stuff's been out for a few years again it'd still basically be THE virtual reality game.

Xenomrph posted:

God drat it you’re going to convince me to upgrade my PC, buy the game on PC, and invest in a VR headset. Fuuuuuuuck. :retrogames:

:same:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 22, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tenzarin posted:

i would ordinarily agree but Isolation kind of feels like they made a complete game, Sega went "HEY THIS IS ONLY 10 HOURS WE NEED MORE," and CA proceeded to bolt an entire extra 10 hours or so of padding onto the back half. it's less of a typical "don't feel bad not finishing the game" situation and more like, I dunno, Symphony of the Night's Inverted Castle but with less asset reuse and loving GOD drat FACEHUGGERS

e: also, as you might be able to tell from that spoiler, the back half of Isolation kinda moves away from the mechanics that made the first half amazing.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I just got the flamethrower a little bit ago and first used it on what I thought were aggro looters but the game gave me a game over and told me later were peaceful survivors.

Stupid game, why not err on the side of safety?

Anyway I guess I should never be trusted with a flamethrower.

I dipped my toe into AvP 2010 because I wanted to just waste multiple xenos with a pulse rifle for a change, and it was a bit of a weird palette shift. Bad writing, hokey paint-by-numbers iteration on the themes and aesthetics (A latinx marine named T. Aquilla, come on guys, saying "this is going to be the worst combat drop since Archeron"!), and xenos that sort of bump into you and die to your basic pistol if you're persistent. Not awful by FPS standards but sort of like setting aside a nice porterhouse to bite into a Wendy's double cheeseburger.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 22, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

I dipped my toe into AvP 2010 because I wanted to just waste multiple xenos with a pulse rifle for a change, and it was a bit of a weird palette shift. Bad writing, hokey paint-by-numbers iteration on the themes and aesthetics (A latinx marine named T. Aquilla, come on guys, saying "this is going to be the worst combat drop since Archeron"!), and xenos that sort of bump into you and die to your basic pistol if you're persistent. Not awful by FPS standards but sort of like setting aside a nice porterhouse to bite into a Wendy's double cheeseburger.

The multiplayer is incredibly broken/cheesy because of the glory kill animations. So the multiplayer matches are just like a conga line of characters standing behind each other all gorily killing each other in order.

There's a lot of cool animations and stuff in the single player campaign that are specific to certain weapons and limb damage and stuff, but none of it actually happens in multiplayer and the campaigns themselves like you say are pretty badly written (and insanely short feeling too).

They also killed the multiplayer right out of the gate by having different maps and stuff tied to where you pre-ordered it. :wtc:

An interesting failure of a game but like you say it's not the worst thing ever and it's got Aliens and Predators. :3: I still have the little facehugger that came with the limited edition.

The Predator campaign was the weirdest to me, it was, like, a PS3/360 game. Like not bad because it was made with those platforms in mind but it feels so weirdly generic, like why are you standing around boxing like Little Mac with a xenomorph? You can jump really far but only from specific points to other points, stuff like that.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

I just got the flamethrower a little bit ago and first used it on what I thought were aggro looters but the game gave me a game over and told me later were peaceful survivors.

Stupid game, why not err on the side of safety?

Anyway I guess I should never be trusted with a flamethrower.

As soon as I saw Ash, I flamethrowered him and got a game over, even though that would solve half the problems. :(

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

With the latest update he made it so you have to raise you hand to the side of your head and press a button on one of the VR controllers so it feels like you're turning Amanda's headlamp on. He's also planning on making the aiming work via VR controls since right now it works by aiming wherever you're looking and it's really meant as a seated experience. But he keeps working on it and it'll only get better.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

On the “fans improving Alien games” front, the guy who has been endlessly fixing Aliens Colonial Marines is about to release v6 of his mod, in which he rebuilt the AI for all enemies and NPCs from the ground up with custom code, along with some other refinements and the like.

v6 isn’t “officially” out yet, but I got a “not quite final” build of it last night. I haven’t had a chance to fiddle with it yet, though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

On the “fans improving Alien games” front, the guy who has been endlessly fixing Aliens Colonial Marines is about to release v6 of his mod, in which he rebuilt the AI for all enemies and NPCs from the ground up with custom code, along with some other refinements and the like.

v6 isn’t “officially” out yet, but I got a “not quite final” build of it last night. I haven’t had a chance to fiddle with it yet, though.

This is pretty awesome. :O

s.i.r.e. posted:

With the latest update he made it so you have to raise you hand to the side of your head and press a button on one of the VR controllers so it feels like you're turning Amanda's headlamp on. He's also planning on making the aiming work via VR controls since right now it works by aiming wherever you're looking and it's really meant as a seated experience. But he keeps working on it and it'll only get better.

Speaking of which, I know it's a lived in broken future etc. but :laffo: most pathetic flashlight batteries ever amirite? That seems like such a weird limitation since you typically never want to have the flashlight on anyway unless it's completely pitch black. It might be better if it never ran out but if the beam was like super penetrating so you'd really screw yourself over if you just left it on all the time.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

i feel like this guy deserves some kind of award; anyone that can turn that giant turd around into something playable is kind of a hero

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of which, I know it's a lived in broken future etc. but :laffo: most pathetic flashlight batteries ever amirite? That seems like such a weird limitation since you typically never want to have the flashlight on anyway unless it's completely pitch black. It might be better if it never ran out but if the beam was like super penetrating so you'd really screw yourself over if you just left it on all the time.
I suddenly want to see a combination of Aliens with INFRA. An industrial engineer wandering through an overrun facility taking pictures of damage, performing various minor fixes, documenting signs of corruption, and stealing every single battery he can find.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Fish Noise posted:

I suddenly want to see a combination of Aliens with INFRA. An industrial engineer wandering through an overrun facility taking pictures of damage, performing various minor fixes, documenting signs of corruption, and stealing every single battery he can find.

Whoever made the mod that lets you go through the game without the alien should make it exactly this. Like all the other gear you'd normally pick up this character just photographs+inventories and batteries are the only thing they can take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Neo Rasa posted:

I think they only last a couple minutes which, lol, what the gently caress. It's a really dumb gameplay decision because I've never run out of batteries in the game because there's just so many around so swapping them out is basically just an annoyance.