Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

silence_kit posted:

How does pricing on non-recent model video cards work? Do prices on new cards ever drop, or are they like Intel computer chips in that they never lower price?

I'd like to get a 1060 6GB at some point in time to upgrade my computer which is only a few years old, but would like to spend < $100 on it. Will I ever be able to buy a new one for that price, or is the only option eBay?

That's gonna take a very long time, prices for used GPUs that are not utterly obsolete yet remain stubbornly inflated for years.
We're just starting to see half decent, working 970 for <100$ now. Many on eBay still try to get ~130$ :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
I'm trying to trace down some jerkyness on my 580. What's the current hotness for logging frametimes as opposed to FPS? I want to see what my stalls look like.

FWIW I can basically guarantee that it's due to being in a VM, but if I can see the stalls I can test fixes.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Harik posted:

I'm trying to trace down some jerkyness on my 580. What's the current hotness for logging frametimes as opposed to FPS? I want to see what my stalls look like.

FWIW I can basically guarantee that it's due to being in a VM, but if I can see the stalls I can test fixes.

MSI afterburner and rivatuner (they run together) can display and log frametimes

here's an example of me logging Monster Hunter World's abysmal frametimes;

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jan 18, 2019

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

A second RTX game is available and it's... Quake 2 :shobon:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Good guy developer realizing people who buy high-end hardware really just want to play old games.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

repiv posted:

Not just RTX, but entirely raytraced :eyepop:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

welp, i guess I'm buying RTX now

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
DOOM RTX WHEN? (Classic that is, not NuDoom).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

repiv posted:

Not going to lie, that actually makes me want a RTX card a lot more than I did.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

repiv posted:

This actually looks really good

e:

K8.0 posted:

Good guy developer finally realizing people who buy high-end hardware really just want to play old games.

:same:

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 18, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Somewhere the Nvidia marketing director is shaking his head in disbelief

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Statutory Ape posted:

Somewhere the Nvidia AMD marketing director is shaking his head in disbelief. "It doesn't even have an aluminum shroud"

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Bah, call me when they fully raytrace Duke Nukem 3D, and I might even buy a loving 2080Ti to play it. :awesomelon:

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
I guess I'm replaying Quake II this weekend.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Are SLI/Crossfire still iffy on actual performance gains vs issues they have? Zotac has 1080 Amp cards up for $360 and I'm considering grabbing a second one for the hell of it. Getting the inside of my PC hotter than the surface of the sun sounds like fun too!

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fknlo posted:

Are SLI/Crossfire still iffy on actual performance gains vs issues they have? Zotac has 1080 Amp cards up for $360 and I'm considering grabbing a second one for the hell of it. Getting the inside of my PC hotter than the surface of the sun sounds like fun too!

Not worth it at all these days. That being said it's your money and if you want to tinker with something new and janky go for it :D

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's increasingly incompatible with newer games, has many of the same problems as always, but if it works with the game(s) you're targeting it can almost double the performance.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

fknlo posted:

In most games you'd be better off spending roughly the same amount on a 2080. There are a few titles where SLI 1080s might perform better, but that's not going to be the norm.

The only situations where SLI really makes sense are if you're building a top-end system that you want to go beyond the capabilities of a single top-end GPU or if you get a great deal on a second one of whatever GPU you already have later in its life. Even then there are many asterisks to the performance and some tradeoffs in the games that do support it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the replies, I'm not gonna do it. I should probably stop buying dumb poo poo until the shutdown is over anyway.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Stanley Pain posted:

DOOM RTX WHEN? (Classic that is, not NuDoom).

2010! (cursory googling doesn’t turn up any current DXR/RTX projects, though)

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ok I also want an RTX more now with that Quake 2 build. I remember that was posted a while back and it worked with a bit of a limit on software Ray Tracing or something so it was cool, but not really that great.

Now with RTX support, it looks way better and projects like this that can make old games look almost new again are going to be amazing.

Someone do Battlezone 1/2 now. :)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Someone needs to do Raytraced Hexen.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Statutory Ape posted:

Somewhere the Nvidia marketing director is shaking his head in disbelief

... but it’s Quake II.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

As someone about a week away from having an entirely new build with a 2070 in it, this news just made my day :getin:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

gently caress I got the notification from EVGA that the hybrid coolers for the 2080ti's were in stock but I had to walk to computer and log in to correct my address in my EVGA profile and they sold out :(

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Is there a comparison of 2080 Tis anywhere? I know I don't want a blower but it's hard to choose from the wide variety there is. I just know I don't want Gigabyte since they're ghosting me after I provided them evidence that my dead 980 Ti was in fact in warranty.
All the benchmarks I've found are "specific custom 2080 Ti X vs the reference 2080 Ti vs a bunch of other random non-2080 Ti cards"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

VelociBacon posted:

gently caress I got the notification from EVGA that the hybrid coolers for the 2080ti's were in stock but I had to walk to computer and log in to correct my address in my EVGA profile and they sold out :(

I'd be way more enthusiastic about getting one if their warranty was longer than *one year*.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd be way more enthusiastic about getting one if their warranty was longer than *one year*.

I'm mostly enthusiastic because the 980ti Hybrid I had was so good from a cooling perspective.

eames
May 9, 2009

The Asus Matrix card has a pretty interesting concept, a compact AIO inside the shroud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OzolCFqb4k

I wonder how it compares to regular heatpipe cooled cards.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
aaaaaaaa this design still irks me. The whole point of cooling is to get heat away from the silicon, but I don't think dumping it right back onto the PCB is far away enough! Also, this concept is definitely worse with respect to keeping the inside of a closed case from getting warm, which most AIOs can do if placed properly with fans pointed outwards.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
If you're transporting heat to another location within the same rigid assembly anyway, what is the point of using a waterblock and radiator instead of just some fat heatpipes?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Marketing

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

no RGBs -1/10 would not recommend

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Palladium posted:

no RGBs -1/10 would not recommend

Honestly, that's the most baffling aspect of it. They drop a watercooler on card and don't light it up like a christmas tree??

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

So with this Doom II RTX build, does that mean it will be possible to do RTX versions of any game based on that engine?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

So with this Doom II RTX build, does that mean it will be possible to do RTX versions of any game based on that engine?

You mean Quake 2 right? BTW not that the game was optimized by a team or anything but it barely ran at 60fps in 1440p with a 2080ti.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

K8.0 posted:

Good guy developer realizing people who buy high-end hardware really just want to play old games.
90% of my gaming is literally Rise of Nations with my 1080ti

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

You mean Quake 2 right? BTW not that the game was optimized by a team or anything but it barely ran at 60fps in 1440p with a 2080ti.

Doh, yeah Quake 2. And I didn't realize it ran that poorly, dang. Oh well, will be fun to run through those in a few years on a 21xx

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Doh, yeah Quake 2. And I didn't realize it ran that poorly, dang. Oh well, will be fun to run through those in a few years on a 21xx

A lot of the reason it ran poorly is just that it was one PhD student changing the code to implement raytracing so it didn't get the optimization modern games get. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make to have it fully optimized, probably would at least double the framerate to be honest because I get around 80-120fps in BF5 with raytracing on with the 2080ti and that's got a lot more going on for the GPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

A lot of the reason it ran poorly is just that it was one PhD student changing the code to implement raytracing so it didn't get the optimization modern games get. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make to have it fully optimized, probably would at least double the framerate to be honest because I get around 80-120fps in BF5 with raytracing on with the 2080ti and that's got a lot more going on for the GPU.

In terms of raytracing the Q2 port has a lot more going on, BF5 uses standard rasterization/precalc tricks for most lighting then layers RT reflections on top whereas Q2 is raytracing all lighting across the board so everything is dynamic and accurate.

Full raytracing isn't going to be practical any time soon (or ever) but it's a cool proof of concept.