Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/cenkuygur/status/1085740477033390080

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Iamgoofball posted:

I'm a few pages late to the discussion of the NPC dehumanization but it's absolutely done with the "subtle" implication that so-called "NPCs" are free fire targets.

It's shocking how well it's spread amongst the youth, especially those that like video games and fall in the target demographic for "easily redpilled". I got a nephew in high school who says just about every single meme related thing he runs into in groups catering to video games has the NPC "meme" in it. I've noticed it cropping up in groups I'm in and it's pretty hosed up, especially when the response from Average Joe when you try to say it's kind hosed up is "wtf man it's just a meme"

It's a meme tailor made for sociopaths and teaching impressionable youths that actually empathy is wrong because not only is your personal narrative correct but everyone else isn't even human so don't feel bad when they suffer, are thrown in a concentration camp, shot by police, whatever

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

"well, trump may have <worst thing he did>, but i'm not voting for a babykiller!" - 40% of america at least, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

tote up a bags posted:

"well, trump may have <worst thing he did>, but i'm not voting for a babykiller!" - 40% of america at least, 2020

This is, sadly, what I'm expecting. The tribalism is too endemic and polarized.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Xpost from Trump thread:
With respect to RWM I'm expecting them to ignore this for as long as possible, or dismiss it flippantly ala Giuliani when they are forced to acknowledge it. Cohen is supposed to be testifying soon, yeah?

This is fine, Noble Patriots! It's perfectly normal to collude with foreign powers that we considered a threat to democracy up until we allowed them to finance Republican political campaigns via dark money and the NRA!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

tote up a bags posted:

Are any Vietnam vets even running in the Democratic primary? Seems like an unlikely splitting point anyway given trumps base.

e: disregard, I forgot about abortions

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 18, 2019

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

OneEightHundred posted:

If you think the shutdown fight is fun, just wait until we get to the debt ceiling fight in a few months when orange moron is thinking "haha I defaulted on my debt a bunch of times, I don't see what the big deal is" and Team Talk Radio is urging him on. That might be the one thing that could get the Senate GOP off of their asses and override a veto.

The easiest way for him out of this mess would be for Team Talk Radio to back down and just say "you know what, this isn't loving worth it, reopen the government and start negotiating for the wall bit by bit," but they won't because they're rich rear end in a top hat grifters that aren't going to pay a personal price for this at all.

They might if their accountant yells at them and holds them at knife point saying "the fortran mainframes that are the atoms of the of Fin system literally dont know what to do if the US doesn't make payments."

e: Maybe, something something The inmates run the place now.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 18, 2019

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

twistedmentat posted:

Trump is too dumb and stubborn to give in for less than his 100% perfect dream wall. You can't reason with him by letting him claim that future plans or just increasing boarder patrol agents and fencing being the same thing as the wall.

Never forget he's a child and children can't compromise.
Oh Trump is actually very good at caving, and then calling his cave-in the bestest most dealiest deal that ever art of the dealed.

There is no "dream wall." He does not give a gently caress about the wall. The only reason the "wall" even became a thing is because Sam Nunberg and Roger Stone needed something dumb and memorable so he wouldn't forget immigration entirely in his campaign speeches.

The only thing he cares about is maintaining the fraud and juicing up his base by telling people at his rallies that there's going to be a wall even when he's not doing anything to get it built, but Coulter called his bluff and now he's desperately trying to realize the lie that he's been telling his base.

The real problem is slightly different: The Democrats don't want to be in the position of giving Trump any sort of deal on anything that looks like a wall unless he's getting very obviously screwed by it. They know that the path of least resistance is no wall, and the path of second-least resistance is a DACA-for-magic-beans poo poo sandwich deal, so they're not going to offer anything else. Trump will absolutely take a poo poo sandwich deal where he gets screwed, is too stupid to realize he got screwed, and will sell it to his base as a total victory. The real problem is that Coulter will not accept that and will sink any compromise as weak, resetting the entire process, which (combined with Stephen Miller doing the same thing) is what sunk the DACA-for-wall-money deal last time.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 18, 2019

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Regarding the shutdown, instead of his dumb impeachment ads, I'd like to see Steyer get with some TSA, CBP, etc. leaders and give financial aid to everyone that participates in coordinated sick-outs - cover lost pay, legal fees that might result from the action, assistance if they're fired in retribution, etc. Right now he's essentially flushing millions down the toilet, this would be infinitely more effective. Assuming he's not just doing the billionaire version of virtue signalling. The people at the open end of this CAN'T take action like that on their own and risk termination or even lost pay for when they do eventually get checks. Someone needs to step in and provide serious financial assistance and backstop them. If the TSA, even just in Atlanta, all got the blue flu the first weekend in February I think that would put too much pressure on the Senate to keep ignoring this and pretending they serve at the pleasure of Trump.

Or he could just make a new ad to tell everyone how awful Trump is and how he needs to be impeached yesterday.

Not really RWM, but Steyer is a visible uber-rich white guy making GBS threads out useless media so it's close.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So I guess there was an anti-choice rally in DC today and the headliner was Ben Shapiro and the highlight of his speech was saying that he was so pro-life he wouldn't even kill Baby Hitler knowing full well he would go on to preside over the murder of millions of people.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
That one's always struck me as a stupid moral quandary. The problem wasn't Hitler (he was still a mass-murdering racist fuckhead, don't get me wrong), it was that he had the fortune to live in a suitably proto-fascist society that would be amenable to his message. Does anyone really think that if you did go back in time and kill Hitler as a child there wouldn't be some other shithead who'd rise to power in a similar way?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The pro life march is always so sad. And usually creepy.

Keeshhound posted:

That one's always struck me as a stupid moral quandary. The problem wasn't Hitler (he was still a mass-murdering racist fuckhead, don't get me wrong), it was that he had the fortune to live in a suitably proto-fascist society that would be amenable to his message. Does anyone really think that if you did go back in time and kill Hitler as a child there wouldn't be some other shithead who'd rise to power in a similar way?

I mean, "stupid moral quandary" is the entire point of the "baby Hitler" thing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Keeshhound posted:

Cool sonderweg, where'd you get it, the obsolete ideology store?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The Nazis had to work really hard to get Germany under their control. Following WW1 Anything that suggested "make Germany great again so we can go to war again" was a tough sell to a huge number of people. An entire generation had been sold on the glory of war to defend the Fatherland and then came back missing limbs or not at all, and they were not going to join up for another war. Nazis only gained power because they managed to bring in the other conservative groups and literally beat the rest of the population into submission.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Keeshhound posted:

You're right. We have to go back and kill everyone.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fox News is currently doing a segment about Tulsi Gabbard apologizing for her previous homophobic beliefs based on her Conservative upbringing and it includes a Conservative gay dude arguing that there should be room for people to evolve and she did good and its very confusing and weird.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

The Nazis had to work really hard to get Germany under their control. Following WW1 Anything that suggested "make Germany great again so we can go to war again" was a tough sell to a huge number of people. An entire generation had been sold on the glory of war to defend the Fatherland and then came back missing limbs or not at all, and they were not going to join up for another war. Nazis only gained power because they managed to bring in the other conservative groups and literally beat the rest of the population into submission.

That's overselling it a little, because there was still a very significant faction of the population that had swallowed the Dolchstoßlegende hook, line and sinker and was baying for blood. The 20s in Germany see a lot of conflict over symbols like the commemoration of war dead and what that means for the future, or what flag to fly (Black-white-red versus black-red-gold).
They definitely only got into power because of the botched response to the global financial crisis and the alliance with traditional conservatives though.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

You're right. We have to go back and kill everyone.

No we just go back and date all their mothers so they're never born

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Keeshhound posted:

It is a totally no win question.
Would you go back and kill Genghis Khan?
No? You loving XXXist.
Yes? Gratz you saved millions! But mankind then ended in 1500's when the Viking Church declared world war on the Innuit Confederation and nuked everyone
Or we live in a perpetual hippy Space Woodstock today. gently caress knows but you still wiped out a lot of generations of not existing that would have.
You've denied more life than those who died.

Then again if it may ensure Shapiro is never born, might be worth the risk.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/zei_nabq/status/1086426161385742336

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

happyhippy posted:

It is a totally no win question.
Would you go back and kill Genghis Khan?
No? You loving XXXist.
Yes? Gratz you saved millions! But mankind then ended in 1500's when the Viking Church declared world war on the Innuit Confederation and nuked everyone
Or we live in a perpetual hippy Space Woodstock today. gently caress knows but you still wiped out a lot of generations of not existing that would have.
You've denied more life than those who died.

Then again if it may ensure Shapiro is never born, might be worth the risk.

That one's actually easier to win, I think.

"Would you go back in time and kill Genghis Khan?"
"gently caress no, he's the progenitor of like 5% of the entire world's population."

At least with the Hitler question you don't have to worry about time paradoxing his descendants.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Hitler's mom
has got it goin on
Hitler's mom
has got it goin on

Hitler can I come over
to kill you-u-u-u-u (to kill you)
Morally, is ending you
okay to do-o-o-o? (okay to do)
wait a sec,
a zygote isn't sapient yet (sapient yet)
I feel okay
bout handing her abortofa-a-acients (plan B mints)

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Ben Shapiro arrives too late to stop time-travelling assassin from mortally wounding baby Hitler. He can still save him, but to do so, he has to help the German government institute better healthcare services through taxes on the rich. What then?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

sheep-dodger posted:

That's overselling it a little, because there was still a very significant faction of the population that had swallowed the Dolchstoßlegende hook, line and sinker and was baying for blood. The 20s in Germany see a lot of conflict over symbols like the commemoration of war dead and what that means for the future, or what flag to fly (Black-white-red versus black-red-gold).
They definitely only got into power because of the botched response to the global financial crisis and the alliance with traditional conservatives though.

Yeah, it is really overstating it. Considering how popular Hidenburg was, and was first elected in 1925, and his support came from people who wanted to destroy the republic and bring back the Kaiser, there was always a good half (at least!) of the country that played into and wanted authoritarianism of some kind, i.e, "only a strong man can govern Germany", etc.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Baby Hitler" perfectly describes Ben Shapiro's demeanor.

STAC Goat posted:

Large groups of reactionary religious fucks walking around with picket signs usually is.

Most of these people would probably support abortion if an unexpected pregnancy happened to them, it's just they have been so browbeaten by Fox News and talk radio into responding to slogans and in-group tribalism on this issue even more so than tax cuts.

Kraanerg
Aug 17, 2013
That Pence speech... just loving say we want to over turn Roe v Wade, it’s like our sole legislative mission... apart from systematically exterminating all LGTBQ people, obviously

Why even bother with the pussy footing and coded language, everyone knows what’s up

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Kraanerg posted:

That Pence speech... just loving say we want to over turn Roe v Wade, it’s like our sole legislative mission... apart from systematically exterminating all LGTBQ people, obviously

Why even bother with the pussy footing and coded language, everyone knows what’s up

It's to give plausible deniability to idiots in the media like this guy:

https://twitter.com/GlennKesslerWP/status/1086277650396569604

"Pence didn't say he literally wanted to get rid of Roe v Wade and kill all the gays so we give the take that he is a fundamentalist extremist 3.435 Pinocchios."

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

STAC Goat posted:

The annual one in Ottawa includes a lot of catholic school kids who get the day off class to go to the march, and then they skip the speeches and hop over to the big mall near Parliament Hill.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
RWM is spiking the football amidst self-validated cries of "WITH HUNT" over this:

Mueller's office disputes BuzzFeed report that Trump directed Michael Cohen to lie to Congress

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/18/politics/mueller-statement-buzzfeed/index.html

Mind you, the report doesn't say WHICH aspects of the story are being disputed (and I did pause when I saw the story was from Buzzfeed) and, further, all it demonstrates is EVEN MORE LIES, which is really, to me, the crux of the entire issue. Why is everyone loving lying so much?

But, nope. This means Trump is totally innocent, nothing to see here and all of this is a conspiracy. Time to move on and wrap it up.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jesus Christ.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Leofish posted:

The annual one in Ottawa includes a lot of catholic school kids who get the day off class to go to the march, and then they skip the speeches and hop over to the big mall near Parliament Hill.

I remember school administration (and certain teachers) showing pictures of it back in high school. It'd always be the same 3-4 students in the pictures because the rest hosed off. Even at 16, I found it hilarious.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

BiggerBoat posted:

RWM is spiking the football amidst self-validated cries of "WITH HUNT" over this:

Mueller's office disputes BuzzFeed report that Trump directed Michael Cohen to lie to Congress

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/18/politics/mueller-statement-buzzfeed/index.html

Mind you, the report doesn't say WHICH aspects of the story are being disputed (and I did pause when I saw the story was from Buzzfeed) and, further, all it demonstrates is EVEN MORE LIES, which is really, to me, the crux of the entire issue. Why is everyone loving lying so much?

But, nope. This means Trump is totally innocent, nothing to see here and all of this is a conspiracy. Time to move on and wrap it up.
Figures. With the Kavanaugh hearings it was pretty much the same story. Even the slightest deviation from what the initial conditions of a story is they cry foul when counter-evidence presents itself.

Behind The Bastards did a good 2 parter on American Fascism back in the 1940s and this quote in Part 2 has stuck with me for a while now:

Henry A. Wallace posted:

The really dangerous American fascist... is the man who wants to do in the United States in an American way what Hitler did in Germany in a Prussian way. The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information. With a fascist the problem is never how best to present the truth to the public but how best to use the news to deceive the public into giving the fascist and his group more money or more power... They claim to be super-patriots, but they would destroy every liberty guaranteed by the Constitution. They demand free enterprise, but are the spokesmen for monopoly and vested interest. Their final objective, toward which all their deceit is directed, is to capture political power so that, using the power of the state and the power of the market simultaneously, they may keep the common man in eternal subjection.
Source (Original Draft???) since if you actually want to read the NY Times Article from April 9, 1944 it is behind a paywall because :capitalism:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Well yeah, fetal Hitler can't feel pain yet so you don't need to be cruel about it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GoutPatrol posted:

Yeah, it is really overstating it. Considering how popular Hidenburg was, and was first elected in 1925, and his support came from people who wanted to destroy the republic and bring back the Kaiser, there was always a good half (at least!) of the country that played into and wanted authoritarianism of some kind, i.e, "only a strong man can govern Germany", etc.

Most of that group really wanted restoration of monarchy and the traditional "extra votes if you're rich" system from before the war though. It would have been significantly different from the actual nazi regime.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

WaPo is reporting that Meuller's rebuttal says NONE of the story is accurate so I dunno.

But I know what FOX and the gang are going to be driving home this week.

gently caress, Buzzfeed, I hope you didn't poo poo the bed on this one.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Keeshhound posted:

That one's actually easier to win, I think.

"Would you go back in time and kill Genghis Khan?"
"gently caress no, he's the progenitor of like 5% of the entire world's population."

At least with the Hitler question you don't have to worry about time paradoxing his descendants.

Bad example, sort of. If I asked you 10 years after Khan started, you would have said yes.
My point is the more time since it happened, the more damage you cause than you save. GREAT SCOTT!
If you went back now and killed Hitler, you saved 6-10 million, but also just wiped out a X generations of people who would no longer exist.

The only correct answer I can think to this is 'No, but if I could time travel I would do something like the film Millenium and take them to the future.'

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

happyhippy posted:

Bad example, sort of. If I asked you 10 years after Khan started, you would have said yes.
My point is the more time since it happened, the more damage you cause than you save. GREAT SCOTT!
If you went back now and killed Hitler, you saved 6-10 million, but also just wiped out a X generations of people who would no longer exist.

The only correct answer I can think to this is 'No, but if I could time travel I would do something like the film Millenium and take them to the future.'

I would do something like the book Millenium and gently caress a robot. Besides, time travel merely results in branching timelines, so no real harm is done. I'd set up a lucrative business of arranging curated hunting trips of various fascists throughout history, such as Hitler, the guy from Home Alone 2 who tells Kevin where the bathroom is, etc.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

happyhippy posted:

There's also the possibility that if you go back in time and murder Hitler before he can, you know, be Hitler then something even worse would happen instead. It's easy to say "but it would prevent a genocide if you just killed this one person so it would be worth it" but are you really sure that one death would prevent the Holocaust?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ask them if they'd go back in time and abort Obama, Hillary, FDR or...duh...duh...duuuuhhhh...

GEORGE SOROS!