Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Everytime I catch a Shuppet I think "It's Shuppet! The lovely puppet!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Shiny luck continues with a gold Zigzagoon, thanks game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hate those fuckers. They are so rambunctious

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
Try AR+ if your phone supports it. I'm still getting used to it, and from silph road posts the expert handle doesn't seem to give a catch bonus at all. It seems kyogre doesn't aggro as much though unless the ! Is full. Only problem I ran into a couple times is getting expert handler and then being too close the premier balls just bounce off kyogre.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

FistEnergy posted:

Yeah Kyogre is much trickier due to the distance and movement

That's what got me, every other 5 star type pokemon I've caught has been so close to the camera there's barely room to get a curveball, I try Kyogre and it's as far away as a Kangaskhan, poo poo was hosed.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

am I moron for wasting 12 golden razzes on a Groudon that I couldn't catch with 9 Excellent, 2 Great and 1 regular throw? I barely ever do raids and don't know if the golden razz actually did anything cuz I couldn't tell if the ring color changed

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Stroop There It Is posted:

am I moron for wasting 12 golden razzes on a Groudon that I couldn't catch with 9 Excellent, 2 Great and 1 regular throw? I barely ever do raids and don't know if the golden razz actually did anything cuz I couldn't tell if the ring color changed

Nope that's what you've gotta do. Sometimes they just run away like assholes no matter what you do.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

There's never a waste with using golden raspberries on legendaries. Only issue with legendaries in general is that the base catch rate is super low, so even with an excellent curve golden raspberry throw you have something like a 15% to 24% chance of getting it, depending on your multipliers. It's all chance.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

With a normal ball throw, and no curveball, but Gold Ground catch medal, you have a 2.13% chance to catch it. With a GRB and the same throw, you have 5.34%. If you curveball and land an excellent, without GRB is 6.58%, and with GRB is 15.65%.

So the GRB was doing a lot, just that you weren't getting lucky.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Louisgod posted:

There's never a waste with using golden raspberries on legendaries. Only issue with legendaries in general is that the base catch rate is super low, so even with an excellent curve golden raspberry throw you have something like a 15% to 24% chance of getting it, depending on your multipliers. It's all chance.

How do type bonuses from medals factor in? Like I have +3 on everything except dark, ghost, steel, fairy, fighting, and dragon at this point, and +2 on those except dragon. What exactly does that actually mean?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

How do type bonuses from medals factor in? Like I have +3 on everything except dark, ghost, steel, fairy, fighting, and dragon at this point, and +2 on those except dragon. What exactly does that actually mean?

I'm pretty sure it's a hidden multiplier that gets compounded in a specific order depending on what medal you have for each type. I'm also pretty sure legendaries like Rayquaza that have two types mean you get both those bonuses. I think you can google the formula and/or chart but in general the impact's pretty minimal.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
How big is the bonus difference between silver pinaps and golden berries?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

NZAmoeba posted:

How big is the bonus difference between silver pinaps and golden berries?

Silver pinap increases catch rate by 1.7, where golden razz is by 2.7.

Edit: assuming you have gold on ground types, a curve excellent with a silver will give a 9.71% chance, whereas a golden gives you a 15.65% chance.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

OgreNoah posted:

Nope that's what you've gotta do. Sometimes they just run away like assholes no matter what you do.

Louisgod posted:

Yukari posted:

With a normal ball throw, and no curveball, but Gold Ground catch medal, you have a 2.13% chance to catch it. With a GRB and the same throw, you have 5.34%. If you curveball and land an excellent, without GRB is 6.58%, and with GRB is 15.65%.

So the GRB was doing a lot, just that you weren't getting lucky.
ok good, thanks y'all

I looked up the catch rate stuff afterwards and totally didn't realize that curveballs increase it, so I'll try that next time

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I believe they stated when catch bonuses from medals were implemented that in the case of dual-type Pokemon you average your two medals, rather than stacking them.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Shiny Groudon! This shiny rate feels really high.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Louisgod posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a hidden multiplier that gets compounded in a specific order depending on what medal you have for each type. I'm also pretty sure legendaries like Rayquaza that have two types mean you get both those bonuses. I think you can google the formula and/or chart but in general the impact's pretty minimal.

Close. It's an additional 10% per +, and dual types take the average of your two medals, ie Rayquaza with a +2 dragon and +3 flying acts as +2.5. So you have 1.3 at +3. If I remember correctly, great ball is 1.5, ultra ball is 2, curveball is 1.7, nice/great/excellent are 2-%ofcircleremaining, and I'm not 100% sure on the berries. I thought Razz was 1.5 and GRB was 2.5, but I don't know about Silver Pinap.

Oh yeah, all of these multiply together and get used as the exponential in the catch function.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
1. I'm bad at Excellent. How can you be that accurate all the time?

2. Is the special Hoenn move for Breloom a game changer or just kind of ok?

3. Around what level is the increase of power not worth the dust, assuming I'm not soloing 4 star raids?

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

1. I'm bad at Excellent. How can you be that accurate all the time?

3. Around what level is the increase of power not worth the dust, assuming I'm not soloing 4 star raids?

1) Practice like crazy and use the circle lock trick. Google it, since there's a good pictograph of it that'll do better than me explaining it. On raid bosses, anyways. I still mostly hit greats only on random mons when I try for normal things. Also, personally, I'm awful at hitting the excellent on Kyogre since he's so damned far away and I can't aim well enough given how hard I have to throw the ball usually.

2) It lets Breloom be a grass Gengar for the most part. I kinda like it vs these two bosses, and it gives it a niche as a anti-meta gym attacker? It's a sidegrade and meant to be used in addition to counter/DP sets, though I have mine set to bullet seed since the current 2 T5s are weak to grass.

3) Usually people will power their pokemon to lv30 first, since after that level, you only get half as much CP per powerup and it gets really expensive at that point. After that, I suggest powering to the next breakpoint you're attempting to hit, using the breakpoint calc, if you're at all interested in doing lowman things like duo T4s and solo T3s.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

A Breloom with both Grass Knot and Dyamic Punch is loving terrifying in PvP, oh my God :cry:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
On raid bosses I throw Great every time. It's not worth missing bonuses altogether trying for Excellent unless it's a really easy situation like Groudon.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Beachcomber posted:

I'm fixin' to make an army of 6 lucky level 35 (weather boosted wild capture, not powering up any) ones before the event ends. There will always be something better than it at any particular role, but they are excellent fillers.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS

Beachcomber posted:

where do you live and how many would you like?

Denver Colorado.
And all of them. I have shinies, chimechos, munlaxes and more to trade.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

LumpyGumby posted:

Denver Colorado.
And all of them. I have shinies, chimechos, munlaxes and more to trade.

Not currently going there, but we travel a lot so I'll bear you in mind.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
New friend

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
man this thread is wild

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/ah9x17/niantic_is_losing_high_level_accounts_and_cant/?utm_source=reddit-android

big if true

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Man if only this company made enough money to hire more devs and fix their game...

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So any goons across the water, think the reward tasks will be the same worldwide?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

So any goons across the water, think the reward tasks will be the same worldwide?

Almost certainly yes.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
RE: catch rate stuff

pokemongo.gamepress.gg has all the catch rate stuff at the bottom of a pokemon's info page

Kyogre: https://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/pokemon/382

Groudon: https://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/pokemon/383

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

Almost certainly yes.

Hopefully we'll get some posts as to what the tasks are, or Reddit can maybe supply! I have an EX raid at a park with only a few stops!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Also here is one weird trick to catching legendaries: Become in-game best friends with someone you regularly raid with for 4 additional balls.

And be a tryhard nerd and prepare a team beforehand for maximum damage. That could get you a few extra balls (for team damage and personal damage)

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The tasks have been found in the code, it's pretty easy stuff:

Hatch 1 Egg
Earn 1 Buddy Candy
Make x Nice Throws
Make x Great Throws

We'll know the number of throws in 6 hours, but it'll probably be like 3 or 5. You can do those quests while raiding, so the shiny train might not stop! We'll also know shortly if shiny Feebas obtained from a stop will always be shiny, like sunglasses Squirtle, or not.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

RE: catch rate stuff

Is there also a bonus for consecutive balls hitting? I heard this somewhere a long time ago, but never again.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Wheany posted:

Also here is one weird trick to catching legendaries: Become in-game best friends with someone you regularly raid with for 4 additional balls.

oh i was at the park just now catching my first groudon and there were a whole bunch of people a-tap-tapping on two phones at once, i guess they were besties with themselves and trying to get two for one?

also i stub the groudons toe with a poorly thrown ball and i catch it on the first try, a few days earlier i waste 14 golden razz/silver pinaps with great throws on a kirlia and it runs away asdfhhjjjjjkllll

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

BabyRyoga posted:

Is there also a bonus for consecutive balls hitting? I heard this somewhere a long time ago, but never again.

Not according to this.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Its been a really good week to start playing GO again.

Also just got a Sinnoh Stone. I want to evolve a Misdreavus into a Mismagius but the park going to tomorrow had a Electabuzz nest last time I went.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Smiles posted:

oh i was at the park just now catching my first groudon and there were a whole bunch of people a-tap-tapping on two phones at once, i guess they were besties with themselves and trying to get two for one?

Probably, yes.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smiles posted:

also i stub the groudons toe with a poorly thrown ball and i catch it on the first try, a few days earlier i waste 14 golden razz/silver pinaps with great throws on a kirlia and it runs away asdfhhjjjjjkllll
a lot of people have multiple accounts or playing for their kids when they can’t make the raid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I randomly caught a shiny wingull! Man that is a low-effort shiny.