Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Guess who just started a year long contract this Monday at a Ontario university because he heard it it was easy to get renewed, RIP.

It's still better than my old job and I work in one of those INNOVATIVE MODERN departments that universities jerk off about so there's a good chance our budget is gonna be ok, but it's certainly a hell of a welcome.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

"we're gonna get a better deal!" from dougie? lol no you ain't

also I like how all the opt-outs are bougie rich white gently caress places

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Arivia posted:

"It's for the children!", says the city council that against any new school developments so as to avoid having children and school buses in their neighbourhood.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Weed for the children, they aren't going to be able to afford school or have like, a normal climate so better get those coping mechanisms under the belt right away.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

St Thomas somehow voted to opt in and we're old and white as poo poo. By far the highest number of Buicks per capita I've ever seen.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

apatheticman posted:

Weed for the children, they aren't going to be able to afford school or have like, a normal climate so better get those coping mechanisms under the belt right away.

A high school class on how to pack a bowl would have been a lot more useful than open-book accounting or creationist biology class.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

As someone who was formerly a resident of Brantford, none of this surprises me. The downtown core has decayed for decades, and their only solution was to entice WLU to build a satellite campus (that doesn't bring in much revenue since students -- surprise! -- don't have too much money to spend).

Meanwhile, despite high incidences of drug abuse, teen pregnancy, and poverty, the city council is comprised of and listens mostly to the outer ring of middle-class-and-up suburbanites and seniors that would rather save $100 on their property taxes than see properly-funded urban core. Not to mention the constant suburban sprawl out that's taking over useful farmland because they'd rather do that than build a workable city and proper density.

poo poo's hosed, and I'm not surprised that pretty much everyone I know in high school that had any sort of future moved the gently caress out ASAP.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Oh no, if we cancel the Huawei 5G contract, apparently consequences are never going to be the same, or something.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
A subpar telecoms experience in Canada, whatever will I do

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I missed something on my Dougie rant yesterday. It seems the OPC also eliminated the six month grace period following graduation that froze OSAP interest paid to the province. You still got charged federal interest but you had six months grace where provincial interest was deferred. Well that's gone now. You get charged full interest in your student loan the minute you walk out the door.
Next thing you know he'll be loving over the repayment assistance progra-oh wait he did that too. He dropped the threshold from 35k to 25k so if you make 25k a year get ready to start making loan repayments.

Hellsing, before you come in and tell us off again for getting mad about this and somehow galvanizing conservatives, I'll let you know that I passed word of this around to my friends who are still in university and we're not letting this bullshit slide. I don't know how long it will take but I'm not letting this fat fucker ruin my life.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
No but you see, even though the cons are cutting every program imaginable and hate the gays and blacks, its the liberals are the real problem because
*has aneurysm *

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hellsing, before you come in and tell us off again for getting mad about this and somehow galvanizing conservatives, I'll let you know that I passed word of this around to my friends who are still in university and we're not letting this bullshit slide. I don't know how long it will take but I'm not letting this fat fucker ruin my life.

What are you going to do about it

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Arcsquad12 posted:

I missed something on my Dougie rant yesterday. It seems the OPC also eliminated the six month grace period following graduation that froze OSAP interest paid to the province. You still got charged federal interest but you had six months grace where provincial interest was deferred. Well that's gone now. You get charged full interest in your student loan the minute you walk out the door.
Next thing you know he'll be loving over the repayment assistance progra-oh wait he did that too. He dropped the threshold from 35k to 25k so if you make 25k a year get ready to start making loan repayments.

Which conveniently is just over the threshold for being FT minwage

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

Arcsquad12 posted:

you're missing the part where the tuition tax credits were eliminated in part to help fund the change but there's no talk about bringing them back lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Tighclops posted:

March on Queens Park carrying rakes?

I mean, probably not, but that'd be a good start.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tighclops posted:

Looking into any protests I can join in Ottawa at the moment. Contacting my MPP to give him an earful. Not that that second one matters considering how toothless Yakabuski is in the conservative party.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Looking into any protests I can join in Ottawa at the moment. Contacting my MPP to give him an earful. Not that that second one matters considering how toothless Yakabuski is in the conservative party.

You should have hopped a train to Toronto

https://twitter.com/KevinTaghabon/status/1086329786891304960

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

zapplez posted:

No but you see, even though the cons are cutting every program imaginable and hate the gays and blacks, its the liberals are the real problem because
*has aneurysm *

What purpose is served by these dumb exaggerations?

Arcsquad12 posted:

I want people to be angry, frankly I don't think people are nearly angry enough. I just think people should direct their anger at the real causes of their problems instead of getting caught up blind electoralism.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And I believe that defeat in detail would work better at the moment than trying to dismantle the entire system at once. Build up a movement to kill Ford and the OPC and then turn our guns on the liberals so they get the message that we're sick of their poo poo as well. Ford is the immediate threat

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

That's exactly how I thought ten years ago.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Helsing posted:

That's exactly how I thought ten years ago.

And people who were kids ten years ago can now vote. Call me an optimist.

I contacted my friend who still works for the campus newspaper. I figure if I'm going to yell about this I might as well yell at a larger audience.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 18, 2019

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Time is a flat circle.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

And I believe that defeat in detail would work better at the moment than trying to dismantle the entire system at once. Build up a movement to kill Ford and the OPC and then turn our guns on the liberals so they get the message that we're sick of their poo poo as well. Ford is the immediate threat

"The most important thing is to get rid of Harper" is an attitude that gives Liberals permission to throw the left a few sops at election season because after all they're better than the CPC.

Besides, the "defeat in detail" idea is weird? Conservatives exist! They're a force in our society. They're not going to retreat into the wilderness and disband once they lose an election. When the Conservative or Socred brand gets discredited, then you get a Saskatchewan or BC Liberal party, but they're the same thing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nothing short of a youth party of Ontario or Canada or whatever is going to be enough to upend the system. I don't trust the NDP to do a good job either.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Remember when everybody went out and held up signs and banged on the doors of the legislature when Ford was loving up Toronto's election and then Dougie was all like "yeah, you're right, i shouldn't be doing this" and everything went back to normal?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Haha lol if you can change anything by protest.
Ford has a 4 year dictatorship because he doesn’t care about decorum. They’re gonna do whatever they please and you’ll pucker up and take it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just don't think some dipshit who went to school thirty years ago for thirty thousand dollars less should have any say on today's education system.

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS

Arcsquad12 posted:

I respect your opinion and I understand why you feel the way you do. But realize that attempting to compromise with the ruling class and their servants is what got us in this mess in the first place. We believed, incorrectly, that we could negotiate with capital and demand concessions in order to realize some of our goals. And look what has happened since! The welfare state has been systematically dismantled by the wealthy elite in order to extract more profit for themselves from the working class. The labour movement has been attacked and reduced to nothing, while the bosses earn hundreds of times the salary of a worker. The climate has been destroyed and the environment polluted by reckless and unrestrained exploitation of resources. The poor must carry the burden of mounting debt while their wages stagnate and decline. All of this is the result of believing that it is possible to deal in good faith with the bourgeois.

On the surface it must seem reasonable to focus our attention on only one threat at a time. But understand that they are not different threats, but the same threat manifested twice. Our true enemy is not Doug Ford or Justin Trudeau, but the puppeteers which control these parties and ensure that they serve the interests of the ruling class exclusively. By focusing your attention on the parties, you misdirect your anger and wrath against the symptom rather than the cause, when you should instead be focusing your attacks upon our true enemy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

Haha lol if you can change anything by protest.
Ford has a 4 year dictatorship because he doesn’t care about decorum. They’re gonna do whatever they please and you’ll pucker up and take it.

And because he has the full backing of a spineless party whose only concerns are stuffing their pockets and loving minorities who will follow their leader into the pits of hell to get a full 5 years of doing those things.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I just don't think some dipshit who went to school thirty years ago for thirty thousand dollars less should have any say on today's education system.

you gonna put that on a sign?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Ontario has to be the biggest loving trash fire in this country right now - and until you all set fire to Fords yard and general strike the streets of Toronto into gridlock for a month, poo poo ain't gonna change.

'course most people are still too comfy to bother getting active like that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Powershift posted:

you gonna put that on a sign?

Probably. You going to keep sitting in that armchair feeling good about yourself expecting uppity millenials to cave?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Probably. You going to keep sitting in that armchair feeling good about yourself expecting uppity millenials to cave?

Woah

now THAT should go on a sign.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Rime posted:

Ontario has to be the biggest loving trash fire in this country right now - and until you all set fire to Fords yard and general strike the streets of Toronto into gridlock for a month, poo poo ain't gonna change.

'course most people are still too comfy to bother getting active like that.

I heard someone mention a general strike at work a few weeks ago. Out of someone else's mouth, not mine, unprompted. Things will have to get worse first I'm sure but there is still some hope people might get pissed enough to do something, I've seen a noticeable shift in people's attitudes at least in my own immediate surroundings.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Arcsquad12 posted:

lol he went to postsecondary school?

i thought he was a high school ged, at best

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

RBC posted:

lol he went to postsecondary school?

i thought he was a high school ged, at best

quote:

He attended Scarlett Heights Collegiate Institute[7] for five years, graduating in 1983.[8] He then attended Humber College for two months before dropping out.[9][10]

Looked up that first school, it was renamed "Scarlett Heights Entrepreneurial Academy" until June 2018 when they shut it down.

Very prestigious.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Powershift posted:

Remember when everybody went out and held up signs and banged on the doors of the legislature when Ford was loving up Toronto's election and then Dougie was all like "yeah, you're right, i shouldn't be doing this" and everything went back to normal?

This is one of those things that'll probably get me put on a list, but it's not intended as a threat, just an observation.

Until those MPPs feel literally unsafe going to work, absolutely nothing is going to stop them voting lockstep with Ford.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 18, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

infernal machines posted:

This is one of those things that'll probably get me put on a list, but it's not intended as a thread, just an observation.

Until those MPPs feel literally unsafe going to work, absolutely nothing is going to stop them voting lockstep with Ford.

The RCMP are probably gonna show up at your door with a pressure cooker and some fireworks and try to earn a little overtime out of this post.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Here's a protest this weekend in Ottawa.

https://www.facebook.com/events/341408436460951/?notif_t=plan_user_invited&notif_id=1547771405961752

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Powershift posted:

The RCMP are probably gonna show up at your door with a pressure cooker and some fireworks and try to earn a little overtime out of this post.

Whatever, as long as I get free drugs and they drive me around to run errands and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Ontario needs a General Strike.

Also Alberta,

Also Canada.

Labour is the only thing we can withhold from the ruling class that affects them.