Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Sounds like Topps at least put in some effort. I remember being so excited for that first Jurassic Park issue.

Topps must have saw the writing on the wall for trading cards, and went all in on comics. The relationships between comic, trading card, and action figure companies in the 90’s are interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

That's exactly what it was, and it was just as good as that sounds!

All of the books were

NEIL GAIMAN'S LADY JUSTICE
written by cj henderson
NEIL GAIMAN'S MR. HERO THE NEWMATIC MAN
written by james vance
LEONARD NIMOY'S PRIMORTALS
written by lawrence watt-evans

Though honestly looking back at them, they apparently did an Isaac Asimov idea adapted by Howard Chaykin, Steven Grant, and George Perez which almost sounds like something that might be readable.

By the time Teknocomix came out (in 1995) my barely-teenage self had already lived through the disappointment of realizing that all the comics with cool [Brian Bolland/Bill Sienkiewicz/Neal Adams/etc.] covers might have crappy interior artists, and had just lived through the first wave of Image books that were all JIM LEE'S STORMWATCH WITH COVERS BY JIM LEE AND INTERIORS BY ONE OF HIS WEED CARRIERS so I was immediately suspicious of Teknocomix. It might literally be the only one of those New Universes I never bought a single issue of, and I bought comics from Defiant, Triumphant, Comics' Greatest World, I'm pretty sure I bought a couple issues from Majestic Entertainment and I had to look up what their name was. Teknocomix was late to the party and a memorable stinker. I do see someone put out trades of the "Neil Gaiman" stuff a few years ago though.

I remember how they did "digital comics" where they released an issue with voice acting and sound effects on CD. My local Software Etc. had a pile of those and the Prime one that sat around for years. I'd be tempted to get one now and see what it was like, but I'm not spending $5 on it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everyone thought they could cash in on the new universe craze. Image was huge Malibu's Ultraverse was initially a hit. From there it seemed like every company tossed their hat in.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Everyone thought they could cash in on the new universe craze. Image was huge Malibu's Ultraverse was initially a hit. From there it seemed like every company tossed their hat in.

I think it was Valiant that really started that goldrush, since they predated the other "new superhero universe!" launched by a couple years and had become a pretty big success. But Malibu's Ultraverse line and Image's enormous sales certainly caused it to explode.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I always forget about Valiant, it just felt like they were always there.

LoL Comics Greatest World. I had a complete run of all those books and I couldn't even get $25 for them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

LoL Comics Greatest World. I had a complete run of all those books and I couldn't even get $25 for them.

I literally came across a giant stack of those books in a box a couple of days ago. I got rid of the bulk of my collection a few years ago and I still had a pile of those books...

And somehow a comic book from that line got a movie before Spider-Man did...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I also had a complete run of Defiant books and the trading cards. I'm pretty sure I threw them away and later acquired another set. Like a curse.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Random Stranger posted:

I think it was Valiant that really started that goldrush, since they predated the other "new superhero universe!" launched by a couple years and had become a pretty big success. But Malibu's Ultraverse line and Image's enormous sales certainly caused it to explode.
That's a weird case, because Valiant (as a superhero publisher) just barely predated Image; their first superhero book (Magnus Robot Fighter #1) came out thirteen months before Image's first book (Youngblood #1).

There's a fair bit of speculation (maybe confirmation somewhere I can't find) that part of Valiant's "boom" was because of fortunate timing, given that Wizard was starting to get really hot in 1992 and their early editorial slant was a weird "X-Force #1 is so hot and everyone should buy at least five copies and it's a great investment BUT you know they printed millions of them, right? Here, have some hidden gems which were usually just slightly older Big Two back issues.

A couple of months before Image launched is the first time that Wizard even mentions Valiant, mostly as a "good alternative to endless X-Men crossovers", and it's not until right around the time Image launches that any Valiant books (touted with low print runs compared to all these Marvel and Image books) show up in any of Wizard's "hot" lists. This might have had something to do with The Wizard of Cards (a store owned by Gareb Shamus's family) having picked up a lot of Valiant backstock at just the right time to go "wow, these are really rare and easily worth $30 apiece!"

So Valiant's existence predates Image's, but their big coronation as a Hot New Universe happened after Image launched. It's also weird to look back and realize that Jim Shooter lasted less than two years into the Valiant Superhero Era before getting forced out because he didn't want to expand the line too quickly and do a bunch of gimmickry.

So naturally a couple years later when Shooter got someone to put up investment money for his new company Defiant, they insisted that the first comic they publish be in the form of trading cards, where you had to buy a special limited edition binder to compete the set/story.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 18, 2019

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

I mean, it's definitely not a bad idea to make sure you establish who everyone in the story is, what they want, and what they can do, especially in a time before people just yell "alexa who is cyclops" at thin air and get an answer. The problem comes in when every comic is its own self-contained story, so every comic has to introduce its entire cast, every single time.

In the mid-90s Wizard magazine started doing comic reviews, and woe betide any comic that didn't introduce the characters and premise and ongoing plot in every issue. They gave Starman a rating of "mediocre" because it had so many characters but didn't explain who they were. I'm convinced that's why later issues of Starman start with a short, pointless introduction from the Shade, like "Jack is in space" over a panel of Jack in space.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Valiant was like Image except for writers instead of artists. :v:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

They did, though my recollection is that they were more up front with it, and generally got people who were at least tangentially related to Kirby/Silver Age Comics (Steve Ditko, Roy Thomas, Gerry Conway, Don Heck, Gary Friedrich, John Severin, Dick Ayers) to work on them. I still don't remember liking them much.

Topps Comics in general were weird because I don't remember thinking any of them were that great, but unlike Tekno and some of the other ones, they got real people with real talent to work on them; the abortive follow-up Kirbyverse stuff was Kurt Busiek and Keith Giffen, and other comics from the short weird run of Topps Comics included:

--Bram Stoker's Dracula by Roy Thomas and Mike Mignola
--Jurassic Park by Walt Simonson and Gil Kane
--Mars Attacks by Keith Giffen and Charlie Adlard
--Elric by Neil Gaiman (actually Neil Gaiman) and P. Craig Russell
--A Jackie Chan: Spartan X series by Michael Golden
--A Ray Bradbury anthology series with a bunch of talented people (Tim Bradstreet, Richard Corben, Guy Davis, Harvey Kurtzman's last published work, Mike Mignola, Moebius, Sean Phillips, P. Craig Russell, Matt Wagner)

Of course, they also did a bunch of Zorro comics that quickly got subsumed by ~~LADY RAWHIDE~~, a Bad Girl character created as his partner, and put out a bunch of extremely forgettable Further Adventures of [X-Files/Xena/Duckman/Mars Attacks/Hercules/Dracula] comics by less memorable creators, or in one case a Steve Englehart Jurassic Park mini-series where the raptors learned to pilot helicopters.

It looks like Topps initially bought their way into comcis by buying out Byron Preiss's publishing deal (or maybe just hiring him from wherever he was working), since he had been doing Ray Bradbury and Michael Moorcock comic adaptations in the early 1990s, and is listed as "executive editor" on a bunch of the aforementioned Topps books. They obviously had a big budget initially but gave up quick, and then jumped out when the licenses expired in the late 1990s.

There's also the weird thing that never really affected their comics line, but Topps employed Art Spiegelman as an artist and eventually art director from 1965-1989, so Spiegelman was working for Topps doing Wacky Packages and Garbage Pail Kids and all of their other non-sports cards for decades while he was also working on Arcade and RAW and Maus and half of the artists in that scene (from Crumb to Panter to Ware, plus most of the ex-EC artists kicking around in that period like Wally Wood and Jack Davis) ended up doing Topps Trading Cards, but never Topps Comics.

Only thing I remember from Topps was them trying to pass off a book as a Jack Kirby book called Morgan Miller, Homo Geneticus.

Edit: upon further research it was called Silver Star, and a company called Pacific Comics released it. Maybe Topps did a republish and that's what I'm remembering.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 18, 2019

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Wheat Loaf posted:

Valiant was like Image except for writers instead of artists. :v:
You might be thinking of Bravura and/or the Ultraverse, both of which were pitched that way? Original Valiant was pretty much just Jim Shooter and a mix of people from his Marvel era that didn't want to work at Marvel anymore (Bob Layton, Steve Ditko, Barry Windsor-Smith) and nobodies he gave a shot to (Kevin Van Hook, David Lapham) and then after Shooter left they started chasing hot artists like Joe Quesada and Bart Sears and etc. just like everyone else.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
From the Ottawa thread.

Looks like a local store is on the brink of bankruptcy. He’s started a gofundme for 150k (goddamn).

quote:

The Comic Book Shoppe, the company that I’ve built up over 31 years, is in danger of closing.

There’s no easier way to put it. We’re down to what might be the final hour.

I’ve contacted banks, brokerages, even predatory lenders, just to exist day-to-day.

You may have noticed that a lot of our shelves are bare, or that small amounts of product are stretched to fill space. That’s not a coincidence. Thanks to the problems I’m facing (more on that soon), I’ve had accounts frozen, cheques bounce, and suppliers not allowing me to place orders. My stores are all suffering, and that’s not to speak of the strain it has put on me personally – but that’s not a story for right now.

Many will say the industry is slowing down, but that’s not what I’ve observed at my stores. Ottawa’s comic book scene is still very strong, and it is through these sales that we have managed to stay afloat. The most profitable years that my stores have seen were 2013 to 2016. We smashed sales records month after month for almost 40 straight months. And we would still be going strong, if not for the problems that have gathered at my feet.

The problems that myself, my businesses, and my wonderful staff are facing, stem from a singular problem that occurred in 2014. I was told by my previous accountant that I could easily do my bookkeeping myself, but between three stores, a personal life, and a family at home, I fell behind on my accounting and filing my tax returns. And when the CRA doesn’t have a tax return they need, rather than looking at similar numbers from previous years, they just make some numbers up and file a return on your behalf. That made up set of numbers has caused a series of cascading financial woes. The CRA came up with a final number that made it look like I owed the government $230,000, three times more money than I even made, so they began demanding payments, and freezing my business spending accounts. Then, on top of that, I got slammed with fees, interest, and penalties for an amount that I didn’t have, and shouldn’t have owed.

So what money was I to use to bring in more merchandise for my store?

Had I been able to continue making money, and then putting that money back into my store, as I’ve done for over thirty years, we may still be seeing the record-smashing sales that 2013 to 2016 brought us. Instead, I was struggling for over three years, trying to catch up on tax returns, having my accounts frozen, and an audit that lasted in excess of a year and a half, all while borrowing money from increasingly interest-heavy lenders, in order to stay above water.

This is where the downward spiral began: the money that I made had to go to the CRA to prevent them from freezing accounts and bringing my operation to a grinding halt, so I had less money to pay suppliers with. Fewer suppliers meant less product. Less product meant less money made. And less money made meant fewer payments could be made, both to those who deserved it, and those who did not.

So now, I find myself stuck. My suppliers are close to cutting me off. My rent payments are past due. I’ve mortgaged my home to keep The Comic Book Shoppe and The Anime Stop running, and it looks like it still wasn’t enough.

I need help.

This is very difficult for me. I’m a proud business owner – sometimes too proud. But I’ve exhausted every option. I’ve looked down every avenue, and asked every bank, broker, and loan company for assistance. I haven’t been able to escape the shadow of the spiral I’ve been trapped in for over three years. The worst part is that the spiral was started with a single made-up number, and the money I need to right the ship would be a one-time fix. The business of selling comic books is doing fine, and without this cloud hanging over me, I would still be selling comic books like it was 2016.

Asking for support in donations is not something that I wanted to do, but in order to keep the store open and product on the shelves, my staff has set up this GoFundMe page on my behalf. I've exhausted all other options and now I'm reaching out to you, comic fans, to help keep the doors to The Comic Book Shoppe open.

I’ve been selling comic books and related merch in Ottawa for over thirty years, and it kills me to think that I may not be able to continue doing so. A little bit of help may be all that it takes to restore my business to what it once was, so that I can continue serving you, your family, your friends, and our entire community for years to come.

I want to make it clear that I have caught up on my taxes, reduced staff and spending, trimmed the fat in dozens of places, and it is only the compounded fees and interest that has kept me from returning to profitability. The stores are more optimized than they've ever been. There is still progress to be made, improvements that can be done, but this campaign is my only hope right now.

From the bottom of my heart, I want to sincerely thank you for taking the time to read this letter, and I hope that, together, we can keep The Comic Book Shoppe and The Anime Stop parts of the Ottawa community.

This is the store I stopped shopping at because I thought they didn’t value my business but I feel real bad for the employees and I hope he doesn’t have to close.

But seriously what the gently caress, pay your taxes rear end in a top hat.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

quote:

The problems that myself, my businesses, and my wonderful staff are facing, stem from a singular problem that occurred in 2014. I was told by my previous accountant that I could easily do my bookkeeping myself, but between three stores, a personal life, and a family at home, I fell behind on my accounting and filing my tax returns.

You stupid motherfucker

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don't think his accountant really told him that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah that's entirely his own fault.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I guess props to that guy for writing out in exacting detail why he deserves to go bankrupt? At least it's honest.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yo E&C: I just want to say I appreciate the historical context you can bring to discussions.

It's also amazing how much Wizard influences the industry for a time and how much they were clearly doing it for their own gain since it was before ubiquitous internet.

In other appreciation not comics related: I'm one of the several hundred thousand furloughed federal workers and the people and businesses in my city have have been coming out in amazing ways to support people like myself (and, more importantly, ones who earn far less than me and have families to support). I loved this city before, but this is really adding to that even more.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Endless Mike posted:

In other appreciation not comics related: I'm one of the several hundred thousand furloughed federal workers and the people and businesses in my city have have been coming out in amazing ways to support people like myself (and, more importantly, ones who earn far less than me and have families to support). I loved this city before, but this is really adding to that even more.

Christ I'm sorry, gently caress trump holding y'all hostage

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Endless Mike posted:

Yo E&C: I just want to say I appreciate the historical context you can bring to discussions.

It's also amazing how much Wizard influences the industry for a time and how much they were clearly doing it for their own gain since it was before ubiquitous internet.

Even if you're furloughed, can you and your coworkers still get in the building? And rip the copper wire out of the walls?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I dunno. Haven't made my way over there but probably. There's still a skeleton crew working, and I doubt security is checking furlough status.

Like, honestly, being furloughed sucks, but not NEARLY as much as people who have to work without knowing when they'll actually get paid.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Endless Mike posted:

people who have to work without knowing when they'll actually get laid.

Ain't that the way.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
If you're doing record sales, you can probably afford to hire an accountant. Sales don't necessarily translate to profit though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you have multiple stores doing "record" profits you should have an accountant regardless. They exist explicitly to avoid this sort of thing. Or at least tell you it's on its way.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Small Business Owners are almost universally megalomaniacs.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gripweed posted:

I don't think his accountant really told him that.

That's what accounts do, right? Tell you that you don't need their services.

Not exactly a big surprise that nobody is willing to give him money if that's the reason he's giving.

Also I remember liking the Topps X-Files comic. It was basically just a horror/scifi anthology series with two main stars since it went with self contained story arcs instead of a big running serialized thing.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Well he’s managed to get several k out of people. Hope he uses it to pay his employees.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Boy doing previews for marvel this month sucks. Between War of Realms and a bunch of new X books I have no idea what to order or hold for people.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Jordan7hm posted:

From the Ottawa thread.

Looks like a local store is on the brink of bankruptcy. He’s started a gofundme for 150k (goddamn).

This is the store I stopped shopping at because I thought they didn’t value my business but I feel real bad for the employees and I hope he doesn’t have to close.

But seriously what the gently caress, pay your taxes rear end in a top hat.

Is actually really easy to avoid and stop that problem he's talking about. He's right that when you don't file certain taxes they use historical data or use your previous year income tax return to make a guess at what the taxes should be and Bill you. Then all you need to do is just actually file that return with the real numbers and they will accept that.

Real example. My uncle is a gently caress head. He stole all my grandmother's money. We had to take money out for my grandmother's funeral because he stole all her money and she died penniless. I hate this gently caress. But he came to me because he was hosed because he never knew he had a file sales tax for hair salon. So the government was charging like $20,000. But the reality is the only sales that are actually taxable for sales tax New York for a hair salon are the sales are shampoo. So when he finally eventually loving gets his goddamn bank statements over to me or gives me a loving break down because he's notoriously stupidly lazy then I'll just file a New York State sales tax return with the proper break down and frankly he probably owes only like a couple hundred dollars. And they'll accept that because that's how that works.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

- I like Matt's info gathering strategy, that consists of always hitting the exact same bar and then everyone inside it. At least he didn't break the windows the last time.

And now that I finished the Kingpin's reintroduction I can see that this poo poo is going to go loving wild.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
So they're doing another TMNT boardgame kickstarter - its kind of a 2nd edition I guess - better miniatures, arcade mode, etc.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/idwgames/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-adventures-city-fall/description

But if you're not interested in that - every backer is going to receive a bunch of comics when the campaign is over. It seems to be an advertising thing, for every 1,000 dollars above the starting point pledged over the weekend every backer gets an issue of the IDW comics once the campaign closes. Currently thats 36 issues. As far as i'm aware, that's every backer - including the ones that pledge $1-10 and choose no reward. That seems like a good deal to me if you haven't already got them - the IDW TMNT series is a really cool melding pot of ideas from all TMNT iterations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I can see that they’re including a lot of stuff, but still — two hundred and fifty U.S. American dollars :stare:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not really interested in board games (because I have no friends to play them with) but I do like comics (ibid) and since I have not read any of the Turtles comics, it seems to me that backing this Kickstarter could be a sensible way to get into them.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There are much easier and better ways to get those great comics. For instance the IDW Collection Hardcover which have all the TMNT main series and mini comics in official reading order. You should all buy those.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It is incredibly dumb to make a kickstarter with such high minimal pledges.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Lurdiak posted:

It is incredibly dumb to make a kickstarter with such high minimal pledges.

nah it's pretty common in miniature games. There's a big demographic of people who will throw down 100+ bucks for a big box of miniatures without batting an eye

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

There are much easier and better ways to get those great comics. For instance the IDW Collection Hardcover which have all the TMNT main series and mini comics in official reading order. You should all buy those.

While I agree with this - the hardcovers are great and I own all 8 - I don't know of any way that is cheaper. Currently there's about 2 hardcover collections worth of comics for $1.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Didn't say it was cheaper. Said it better and easier. You don't have deal with a Kickstarter and wondering when they're going to email you codes for digital issues. The same amount of issues are covered in he first four volumes of the hardcovers in addition to 20 more side issues.

And if you do want to go cheaper the first 7 or 8 trades are on Comixology Unlimited.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gripweed posted:

nah it's pretty common in miniature games. There's a big demographic of people who will throw down 100+ bucks for a big box of miniatures without batting an eye

Yeah that is not at all unusual for a mini-heavy boardgame KS, and boardgames (especially ones with lots of minis) are huge on KS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

My friends and I pooled together like $250 for the Gotham City Chronicles board game. We’ll Probably seriously consider this one too.