Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Rhyno posted:

I'm pretty sure more than one Marvel writer said they were directed by editorial to push certain things over others and Hickman tweeted about it last year.

Rob Liefeld was also saying very directly "there's a bigger budget for X-Men comics because of the movie rights now."

https://www.cbr.com/disney-x-men-film-rights-comics/ posted:

"Here's the deal. Since the X-Men movies came out and Disney didn't have them, I don't know if you've ever paid attention, but Marvel kind of turned the volume down on the X-Men for almost 20 years," Liefeld reportedly said at a panel at Wizard World Comic Con in Austin, according to MovieWeb. "Now that they have them more, what was told to me was, 'Oh yeah. Our budgets on the X-Men books are back up to what they used to be because now we own them all.'"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Cabbit posted:

I'm finding it a little hard to believe that Disney just winds up all it's little bits and pieces of Marvel and sends them off on their merry way, with no though to how those pieces might interact. It's entirely believable that they're autonomous from each other-- editorial isn't telling licensing anything, licensing isn't directing studios, etc-- but the idea that Disney, of all companies, is not laying out at least some kind of broad overall direction for them with an eye towards making money seems like a bridge too far.
I did not mean to say that, I more meant that the past 5+ years have been a series of

[No X-Men in video game]
"Pretty soon they won't be publishing any more X-Men books! Look at the video games!"
[No Fantastic Four in action figure line]
"For all we know in a few months they won't even be able to MENTION the Thing in a comic book!"
[X-Men edited off of a t-shirt]
"First they came for the t-shirts, what do you bet there are just no X-Men books after Secret Wars???"
[Wolverine not included in a cartoon]
"Okay okay okay this is the moment where they just straight up stop publishing X-Men comics, obviously"

I don't doubt The Big Wigs At Disney issued edicts to all of the different departments about How To Do Things, but I also think that they're issuing different edicts to each of them. Disney has owned Marvel for almost a decade now, and a drumbeat of "they're going to minimize/eliminate [Fantastic Four/X-Men/Spider-Man/anything they do not have the film rights to] from the comics" has been going on with very few clear effects in the comic books aside from the perception that the Inhumans push was to minimize the X-Men (it did not appear to be) and the Fantastic Four not having a comic for about three years (or about two years if you consider that there were zero regular ongoing series during Secret Wars). To expect an even heavier hand to be suddenly applied for no reason other than pointing to a different division seems odd.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Rob Liefeld was also saying very directly "there's a bigger budget for X-Men comics because of the movie rights now."
In that quote Rob Liefeld is either talking really inexactly or out of his rear end. While it's true that the first X-Men movie is (nearly) twenty years old, Disney's owned Marvel for less than half of that time, and Liefeld's done an extremely limited amount of work for the X-Office in the past twenty years. I can see why he's personally getting more money in 2018 (for a standalone graphic novel that they cross-promoted with Deadpool 2) than he ever did since the good old days of polybags and 501 circa 1992. If anything, given that (setting aside anyone arguing about relative talents aside) the X-Men braintrust right now is a bunch of relatively new/low profile writers and artists as opposed to the early 2000s when they were putting Morrison/Rucka/Milligan/etc. on X-Books, or even the post-Disney-buyout combination of Aaron, Fraction, Gillen and Bendis doing the main X-book along with commensurately big artists (and Greg Land) makes me wonder about where Liefeld is pulling all of this from.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Edge & Christian posted:

In that quote Rob Liefeld is either talking really inexactly or out of his rear end. While it's true that the first X-Men movie is (nearly) twenty years old, Disney's owned Marvel for less than half of that time, and Liefeld's done an extremely limited amount of work for the X-Office in the past twenty years. I can see why he's personally getting more money in 2018 (for a standalone graphic novel that they cross-promoted with Deadpool 2) than he ever did since the good old days of polybags and 501 circa 1992. If anything, given that (setting aside anyone arguing about relative talents aside) the X-Men braintrust right now is a bunch of relatively new/low profile writers and artists as opposed to the early 2000s when they were putting Morrison/Rucka/Milligan/etc. on X-Books, or even the post-Disney-buyout combination of Aaron, Fraction, Gillen and Bendis doing the main X-book along with commensurately big artists (and Greg Land) makes me wonder about where Liefeld is pulling all of this from.

The quote seems to be referring more to a conversation as opposed to his personal pay, but I imagine that's at least somewhat part of it. It's also in reference to an "X-Men crossover" he got picked up for later in 2019, so it's not like he's just throwing out guesswork at total random.

I think some part of the perception for everyone else though might be from the changes in the books themselves? The line's had that "oh poo poo, mom and dad are coming home, clean everything up" air about it as they revive Logan, Jean and Cyclops, revert Laura's character progression back to her 'more popular' X-23 moniker, de-vamp Jubilee, and shove the time-displaced kids back in a closet all in a pretty short period of time. There are some exceptions like Kid Cable or reverting Psylocke's body swap (which is odd enough that you could argue either way) but it largely seems like it's taking a stance of, "let's quit messing around and get back the status quo so we can really get cooking."

Or to look at from the Disney-edict perspective, they may have been content to let the actual comic books go off however, but have now come around with a "publish the classic, popular poo poo" direction. At the very least, it's all a bit much to be purely unrelated.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Abroham Lincoln posted:

and shove the time-displaced kids back in a closet

Oof. Some of them extremely literally.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Cabbit posted:

Oof. Some of them extremely literally.

I'd forgotten about that part when I wrote that, but now I'm just reminded how hosed that is. :v:

It also seems like the block would wear off considering it was just young Jean doing it, and she, y'know. Dies.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So uh Uncanny #10 sure was something. It’s like they read the end of House of M and decided that wasn’t enough.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Endless Mike posted:

So uh Uncanny #10 sure was something. It’s like they read the end of House of M and decided that wasn’t enough.

It reminds me of nothing so much as the start of the old "What If the X-Men Lost Inferno?" story.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The newspaper celebrating the death of the X-Men is also how I feel about this storyline now that it's over, to be honest

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao at this entire thing

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It was interesting, I was listening to a bit of a podcast interview with Kelly Thompson, and without coming out and saying Uncanny was trash, she didn't seem happy with the final product. In her estimation the three writers were more concerned with getting along with each other, and nobody took the lead.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

howe_sam posted:

It was interesting, I was listening to a bit of a podcast interview with Kelly Thompson, and without coming out and saying Uncanny was trash, she didn't seem happy with the final product. In her estimation the three writers were more concerned with getting along with each other, and nobody took the lead.

Well, someone bloody took the lead on X-23's dialogue, because that was egregious throughout. Poor Anole too, getting saddled with that clunker of a plot line. We'll see what remains post AoX-Man...

(Thanks for mentioning this though - it feels so far from her comics that I think it's understandable that people are largely excusing KT. Curious as to what podcast it was/what the full quote was if anyone can share?)

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

howe_sam posted:

That's sure what it reads like, along with an editor who either dropped the ball or didn't care/mind that it was 10 meandering issues of a story that could have been told in two or three.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Metalshark posted:

Curious as to what podcast it was/what the full quote was if anyone can share?)

Capes and Lunatics, the episode was devoted mostly to Captain Marvel, but they got a bit into collaborative writing and Uncanny came up. I also didn't listen to the whole thing because the production values were sort of janky (four people talking over each other on Skype is not my idea of a good time), but the little I heard was interesting.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Collaborative writing isn't inherently bad, but from experience it can be very difficult to pull off, and the skills required are don't completely overlap with the skills needed to be a solo writer.

It would also help if there was more than one consistentely good writer on the team, but

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Collaborative writing is like improv. You need to trust each other to make big, bold steps in the story, and then be able to work with the consequences of other people's decisions authentically. Uncanny definitely has the feeling of some people who hashed out a very loose plot outline together and then didn't want to step on each other's toes, so just followed it in circles for ten issues. X-Man's whole monologue with, "I want to kill the X-Men, but I don't want to hurt people, but I didn't know I was hurting people, but I did, but I thought it was worth it, but now I think it isn't worth it, also how dare you try to kill me (after I tried to kill you unprovoked in the first issue)," is at once incredibly circular and narratively hollow. Just feels like people throwing character beats at the wall.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

lol
https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/01/18/major-x-rob-liefeld-deadpool-cable-wolverine-marvel-comics-x-men/

quote:

Marvel just announced the new series Major X, featuring a mysterious new character who will collide with Wolverine, Deadpool, Storm, Cable, and other X-Men in a conflict that's set rock the foundations of the X-franchise. Liefeld is writing the bi-monthly series as well as providing art for the first issue while Image Comics co-founding partner Whilce Portacio and former Teen Titans artist Brent Peeples joins Marvel to helm issue #2.

"Major X comes from a realm, another plane, called 'The X-istence.' It is populated only by mutants," Liefeld explained. "It's their special place. They're happy. They're living in harmony. The events that cause this portal to open, and for this 'The X-istence' to exist at all are subjects we deal with, and we answer. The absolute formation of The X-istence. Major X hails from there, and his home, the reason he's here encountering the current modern-day Marvel mutant landscape, is because The X-istence has been destroyed, and he is on a journey to restore his home."

The idea for Major X actually stems back from an aborted project Liefeld admittedly was reluctant to pitch back in 1992.

"This was a storyline that was on my list of things to do in 1992 before the landscape changed," said Liefeld. "It's either late '91, early '92, it was in New York and they were having an X-Men ... they'd brought everybody in to plot the future of the X-Men. Major X was in my notebook, I just didn't speak up at the time because there were other voices that were really, I think, dying to be heard. And I think guys like myself and Jim Lee at the time were quiet because we were flat out, we were tired, man. We were tired. We had been going at mach speed with the X office for about three years at that point. And I think we just were looking for maybe some new challenge at the time, but you always want to go back and revisit old threads, especially ones that haven't been ... I feel like this is new territory. That's the exciting part. The other thing is the instincts. Just like the instincts to bring Cable and Deadpool and Domino. It just felt like the right time and the right place, and you know, all you got is your instincts when you're making art. And I'm gambling that this is the right time and the right place for Major X to make his play."

I love that they preserved the rambling nature of his interview.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

There's a hand that's palming that guy's junk.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like that it doesn't say who is writing it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I like that it doesn't say who is writing it.

"Liefeld is writing the bi-monthly series"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Teenage Fansub posted:

I love that they preserved the rambling nature of his interview.

"They were having an X-Men..."

I still love his continued revisionist history on Deadpool as though the character sprang fully formed as he is known now from his brow.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Looking forward to the adventures of Gun Cyclops.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

"They were having an X-Men..."

I still love his continued revisionist history on Deadpool as though the character sprang fully formed as he is known now from his brow.

To be fair, he did start life as something fairly close to what he is now. He was still a wacky fast-talking merc who did violent superhero slapstick. The fourth wall breaking stuff, and the pathos, were the things that came later, but Liefeld and Nicieza initially wrote a Deadpool that was not so far from the character currently being published.

Like, people often talk about, "oh, he started out as just a gritty dime a dozen Liefeld character that was a Deathstroke rip-off, and other people made him funny," but that's not really true. If you go back and read New Mutants #98, which incidentally is a terrible comic, Deadpool is already cracking wise and being the Merc With a MouthTM. I think the story got distorted a little bit in the period where everyone was slamming on Liefeld for his artistic wonkiness and hackneyed ideas.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Android Blues posted:

To be fair, he did start life as something fairly close to what he is now. He was still a wacky fast-talking merc who did violent superhero slapstick. The fourth wall breaking stuff, and the pathos, were the things that came later, but Liefeld and Nicieza initially wrote a Deadpool that was not so far from the character currently being published.

Like, people often talk about, "oh, he started out as just a gritty dime a dozen Liefeld character that was a Deathstroke rip-off, and other people made him funny," but that's not really true. If you go back and read New Mutants #98, which incidentally is a terrible comic, Deadpool is already cracking wise and being the Merc With a MouthTM. I think the story got distorted a little bit in the period where everyone was slamming on Liefeld for his artistic wonkiness and hackneyed ideas.

Having re-read it, mostly it's 'Deadpool has a motor-mouth' but he isn't even terribly funny. It honestly feels like Joe Kelly should get more credit for final form Deadpool. I think he was the one who made it implicit Deadpool hates himself. I haven't read the Simone stuff in years so I can't comment, but I've seen her name thrown around as helping DP along too, although I don't think she technically writes Wade that much but that's only because I can't really recall what the twist of Agent X was.

Speaking of 'technically writing the character' it was nice to see Rob shout-out Domino, but was he even on the book when the actual Domino finally showed up? 'Cause when she first appears she's a shape-shifter working with TOLLIVER. (Nicieza being a giant fan of ominous one-word names.)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Having re-read it, mostly it's 'Deadpool has a motor-mouth' but he isn't even terribly funny. It honestly feels like Joe Kelly should get more credit for final form Deadpool. I think he was the one who made it implicit Deadpool hates himself. I haven't read the Simone stuff in years so I can't comment, but I've seen her name thrown around as helping DP along too, although I don't think she technically writes Wade that much but that's only because I can't really recall what the twist of Agent X was.

Speaking of 'technically writing the character' it was nice to see Rob shout-out Domino, but was he even on the book when the actual Domino finally showed up? 'Cause when she first appears she's a shape-shifter working with TOLLIVER. (Nicieza being a giant fan of ominous one-word names.)

Nope, and I think the one flashback of Cable's Six Pack days where the real Domino is present was drawn entirely by Mike Mignola so unless there's something I'm missing, you can be incredibly pedantic and say that Rob Liefeld never actually drew Domino :v:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Dawgstar posted:

I mean, I think he's definitely still popular in 2019 largely because of the trajectory Kelly set him on, but honestly Kelly was just running with a lot of the character beats that Mark Waid set up in the second mini-series.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

This new character has feet, no pouches, and relatively reasonably sized guns.

What has happened to you, Rob Liefeld

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

All I can see is a handprint on his junk

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Archyduchess posted:

I mean, I think he's definitely still popular in 2019 largely because of the trajectory Kelly set him on, but honestly Kelly was just running with a lot of the character beats that Mark Waid set up in the second mini-series.

That's fair. That I haven't read in ages.

And I'm not even anti-Rob or anything. One of the funnier things on Twitter I've seen lately was somebody @ing him with 'What the gently caress was up, Rob?' with a focus of the cover of X-Force #1 and Rob replied 'Five million copies, that's what' so the dude was clearly onto something.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I love the gun-shaped object hovering magically against his back.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just noticed the helmet has little ears.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

rantmo posted:

I think he's a Warframe

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This is so 90's that I can't even hate it. You do you, Rob.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

rantmo posted:

Actually, it has a little peg that slots into his back. :colbert:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
After reading the latest Uncanny...like, you all get it, right? You get what I mean when I say it feels it's written by someone who really dislikes the X-Men as characters and as concepts? This was basically a drawn-out story about a bunch of mutants loving up the entire world and then we get a lengthy cap-off about how everyone couldn't be happier now that they're gone. That's it. That's all that happened. It's as if they intentionally set out to write a story that makes you hate the X-Men.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I don't get that impression at all. I think whoever wrote this loves the X-Men, they just also love the plots where the X-Men get beaten up and the mansion explodes and the world hates mutants more than ever.

I didn't really like the story, but certainly I got the impression that the writers cared about the (old guard) characters. Less so some of the newer ones, like Laura, Rockslide and Anole. (That, or their lasting impression of Laura is from the Claremont stories where she was introduced, when she was much more of a punchy teen than the levelled-out adult Wolverine she's been lately.)

One thing I thought was done well - they actually got Pixie's dialect right. A Welsh accent is not easy to communicate in comic pages, but they did it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The ending was very much Grandmaster Anthony's birthday party. *In come every X-Men ever, even Maggot (who I thought was dead)*

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I figured Uncanny would pull out of its dive and hit a skid landing, but it plowed right into the ground.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

IUG posted:

The ending was very much Grandmaster Anthony's birthday party. *In come every X-Men ever, even Maggot (who I thought was dead)*

Basically it's "okay we need an excuse for all the characters who are gonna be in Age of X-Man to be here so X-Man can 'vaporize' them, so quick, draw in all those fuckers"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It was really messy. There was characters I either couldn't identify correctly or were doing things they shouldn't be able to do. Like, I think I saw Dr. Reyes shooting energy beams at one point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

IUG posted:

I think Maggott got resurrected during Necrosha?