Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Argath came back as a zombie and it was awesome because I got to brutalize him again lol.

gently caress him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

i didn't like it. just changes everything so it can fit into the ff14 lore.

I felt the same, good thing the raids are excellent

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

The White Dragon posted:

wasn't that dramatic tragedy though, like he didn't go there expecting to kill her but she shanks him because he's become a crazy rear end in a top hat, and then he pulls it out of his side and stabs her with that same knife

Yes, that's correct. I think he did care about her, too. I mean, he swore to protect her on his dead sister, and that seems like the one thing he wouldn't gently caress around about. But his stabbing reflex had become too strong to suppress.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
She was a pawn, but he fell for her after seeing her strength in the face of the adversity which had been unceremoniously foisted upon her by people who viewed her in that same light. Her situation was just as hopeless as his had been before he had begun his work, except from the opposite end: she was born into royalty, but what that ended up meaning was that she had to spend her entire life locked up in a monastery before being used as a tool in a powerful man's game to gain even more power.

He promised to protect her, but that promise went out the window when she stabbed him. Something she was completely justified in doing, mind, because of all the pain and suffering he had caused. She realized the sort of man he was, and knew his crimes could not go unpunished.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I don't think Delita had an ounce of love in his heart for anyone except for Tietra and maybe Ramza. He disposed of Ovelia when she was no longer necessary to him.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Mega64 posted:

Ramza may have the Undead status that some random monsters and NPCs had. Hell, he might be a generic skeleton now.

But then everyone who dies becomes a crystal or treasure chest, so I don't know what to believe.

The story hosed up by not turning every person who dies into a crystal or treasure chest. I need to learn to hack the game so I can fix this loving travesty.

Queklain would be a lot less dramatic if he turned into a treasure chest. Do it.

Speaking of , final fantasy has never been one for consistent names, but apparently Queklain is supposed to be cuchulainn. Which means a french named catholic-analog cardinal is turned into an Irish folk hero, but here that folk hero is a monster. Not even a dog monster

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Varance posted:

For those of you not playing 14, here's the alternate take on that: (Spoilers) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KGQpOlZBIU&t=102s

A bit modified to fit the context of 14, but it was penned by Yasumi Matsuno himself, and was intended as a piece of closure to the Tactics storyline.

That screwballed a tonne of stuff from Tactics, and related to Ivalice, not the least of which is that Fran is from a game that is a PREQUEL to Tactics.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Onmi posted:

That screwballed a tonne of stuff from Tactics, and related to Ivalice, not the least of which is that Fran is from a game that is a PREQUEL to Tactics.

Yes, the timeline is completely different because it's not whatever world Ivalice was on, it's Hydaelyn's Ivalice.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They should've done more with like mixing and matching all the Ivalice games because the watered down version of Tactics story was pretty lame. Fights were good though, especially the final raid which probably has the coolest use of Ivalice nostalgia.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Tactics Ogre's story was better.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Tactics Ogre's story was better.

Ogre Battle 64 crossover Yoshi P. Do it you coward.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Was BNW the hack where the author really dislikes Gogo for some reason?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Azubah posted:

Was BNW the hack where the author really dislikes Gogo for some reason?

I don't think so, they're pretty useful

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Who is your preferred FFVI team?

For a long time in BNW I used Setzer because he has an easy party heal and does decent damage. But I feel like I dropped him in the end for Strago who is great at everything. I always used Celes because she's my favorite character in the game. Same for Cyan.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Sabin, Edgar, Locke, and Celes/Terra. I always liked using each character's natural skills more than just giving everybody magic, and Sabin and Edgar's skills are the most useful for the majority of the game.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Who is your preferred FFVI team?

For a long time in BNW I used Setzer because he has an easy party heal and does decent damage. But I feel like I dropped him in the end for Strago who is great at everything. I always used Celes because she's my favorite character in the game. Same for Cyan.

I haven't played vanilla FFVI in a long time. in BNW, I think I like Setzer for his heals, Locke for being beefy and dual-wielding, Sabin for setting seizure/sap, and either Relm or Strago for magical oomph

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Gologle posted:

Sabin, Edgar, Locke, and Celes/Terra. I always liked using each character's natural skills more than just giving everybody magic, and Sabin and Edgar's skills are the most useful for the majority of the game.

Depends on the fight but yeah pretty much this. Locke for stealing, Sabin for doing Street Fighter inputs/moves, Edgar for Drill and Terra because Terra. I also love Celes too but Runic isn't always useful.

When the game first came out my favorite team was Sabin/Gogo/Locke/Edgar I think. I really liked having Gogo copy Sabin's moves.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Terra, Celes, Cyan, Sabin. Kid me thought they were the coolest 4 and nothing else actually mattered, and I haven't played the game in the intervening 20+ years :colbert:

(Wish I could go back to thinking like that and being ok with it, frankly)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that terra battle quest in FFXV was an astonishing waste of time even by FFXV's standards

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

lobster22221 posted:

Queklain would be a lot less dramatic if he turned into a treasure chest. Do it.

Speaking of , final fantasy has never been one for consistent names, but apparently Queklain is supposed to be cuchulainn. Which means a french named catholic-analog cardinal is turned into an Irish folk hero, but here that folk hero is a monster. Not even a dog monster

otoh queklain, like ochu, cuar, and gust, is a fantastic all-new monster name. that's honestly one of my favorite things about romanized monsters rather than accurately-translated ones, they sound like monsters but also they're creative in a weird way because they aren't just pulled out of mythology

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think the number of people who would see a JRPG something or other named Cuchulainn and would say "Oh, you know, its Cu Chulainn!" is so small as to make the re-romanization of it to something else a non-event.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
I just thought it was funny given the setting.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

that terra battle quest in FFXV was an astonishing waste of time even by FFXV's standards

the ffxiv quest, on the other hand, owned a whole lot and was one more example of what this game could have been if SE hadn't hosed with it at nearly every turn

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

lobster22221 posted:

A generation of white kids shocked to discover that Shiva is not, in fact, a babe

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

lobster22221 posted:

After years of extensive research I have come to the conclusion that Dycedarg does not, in fact, have an elder brother.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Dragonatrix posted:

After years of extensive research I have come to the conclusion that Dycedarg does not, in fact, have an elder brother.

Then who did I defeat?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
you defeated dycedarg's elder brother but the thing is dycedarg is a chimeral twin. he absorbed the older twin (by some minutes) while they were developing, who continues to live on in a sense in dycedarg's brain, like fei and id. he's the one who kills larg, poisons balbanes, makes a deal with the church, etc. because he's envious of dycedarg's life and keeps trying to ruin it. ultimately he succeeds but it's important to note that dycedarg, short-tempered as he was, is not who you fight in that mission

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

A generation of white kids shocked to discover that Shiva is not, in fact, a babe

Extremely wrong.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 22, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Quote not edit ffff

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I have no idea where to post about it, so I'll do it here: decided to play some breath of fire 2 on GBA after a long time ago beating it on SNES. After spending an absurd amount of time grinding before the boss in the well, and looked it up and found out that they doubled experience and gold in the GBA release :stonk: what was I doing playing it during the SNES era??

The battle system and setting are all good, but I still can't believe Capcom re-released it and said "yeah, the original English translation was fine, let's not improve upon this."

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
https://soranews24.com/2019/01/24/f...90vid%E3%80%91/

LMFAO I want this so bad

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So that's how Square-Enix stays afloat in the years between them releasing a relevant title.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
What does Frog’s voice sound like? Does he have a weird frog voice or does he speak like a normal human who occasionally ribbits?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Mega64 posted:

What does Frog’s voice sound like? Does he have a weird frog voice or does he speak like a normal human who occasionally ribbits?

What does your heart say?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

guarantee normal human who makes frog onomatopoeia puns

:cmon: this is the same country that voices repede so he says "woof" and "bark"

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
He speaks normally but ends random sentences with "kero".

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

seiferguy posted:

I have no idea where to post about it, so I'll do it here: decided to play some breath of fire 2 on GBA after a long time ago beating it on SNES. After spending an absurd amount of time grinding before the boss in the well, and looked it up and found out that they doubled experience and gold in the GBA release :stonk: what was I doing playing it during the SNES era??

The battle system and setting are all good, but I still can't believe Capcom re-released it and said "yeah, the original English translation was fine, let's not improve upon this."

I don't remember leveling as being that bad on the SNES, though once you could travel around the world you had the option to go to the monster island with the giant goo and giant spikehead(?) enemies to kill for absolute shitloads of xp. The only issue I remember in the original was the fight with Ray(?) because for some reason my dragon transformation didn't end the fight the first time and I ended up spending several more rounds trying to refill Ryu's mp while eating massive AOE damage.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Help I started to replay Final Fantasy 9 and now I can't stop playing Chocobo Hot and Cold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Still the best FF minigame