Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

Superman asked Batman if he bled made me say "Oh poo poo!" aloud in a theater.
When BvS came out, people in one of these comic book movie threads mentioned the idea that Superman actually heard Batman say that. I liked that Justice League confirmed that he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Batman raging at Superman that he was going to make him bleed immediately followed by Batman driving home in his demolished Batmobile gets funnier every time I watch it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Batman raging at Superman that he was going to make him bleed immediately followed by Batman driving home in his demolished Batmobile gets funnier every time I watch it.

He also angrily takes off his cowl and stomps around the Batcave, it's a hoot

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

I really like that he has to stop and pick up the two parts superman ripped off, strap them to the roof of the car and then drive around with bugs hitting him in the face.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 19, 2019

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I really enjoyed Snyder's scenes in Justice League, namely the attack on the amazons at the beginning and the fight versus the newly reawakened Superman. These scenes are just obviously higher quality than all the others. If you didn't grin like an idiot when Superman eyeballed the Flash, I don't even know what to say to you. It's such a perfect moment.

I think I had the same facial expression Flash did. Such a cool moment, lost in the bland boringness that is JL.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

It’s a really great “oh, I’m going to die now” reaction shot. Because of course you’re going to be scared shitless if Superman cranks his head towards you like you’re a babysitter and he’s Michael Myers.

And the more that comes out about the movie, the more it’s “Joss went and reshot half the movie but what he reshot was ways to get around the setups that Terrio and Snyder and all had scripted and shot” like there apparently being a bunch of things involving Batman having Lois be his weapon of last resort if Supes came back bad, and having to pull that string before he was going to get killed - and Joss reshot chunks of the scene to make it so... Lois just shows up, driven to the spot by a cop.

It comes off more and more like they really wanted an under two hour movie and Zack was like “yeah nope that’s not happening” and they removed him and brought Joss on and said “get us to 100 minutes” and he did exactly what they said.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Edward Mass posted:

Was that the precise moment how loving Goddamn dumb the movie was and how much it failed to live up to TDKR in every conceivable way?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I actually think I'd rather watch Justice League than Dark Knight Rises. I am not a fan of that movie. The fight scenes in particular are awful

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

nothing joss whedon has ever written is worse than TDKR's 'this used to be someone's home' 'and now it's everyone's home!'

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Brother Entropy posted:

nothing joss whedon has ever written is worse than TDKR's 'this used to be someone's home' 'and now it's everyone's home!'

who says this because I don't remember it at all

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

Was that the precise moment [seems like there should be a subject and verb here but idk] how loving Goddamn dumb the movie was and how much it failed to live up to TDKR in every conceivable way?

BvS is clearly going for something very different from DKR, even if they do share a few plot elements, so it's not particularly useful to ask if it "lives up" to it, and also I'm not quite sure what definition of "dumb" you're applying here that doesn't apply to just about every other comic book movie.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

hiddenriverninja posted:

who says this because I don't remember it at all

catwoman's girlfriend/roommate

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

The dark knight rises is awful and no amount of video essays can convince me otherwise.

It is I , the Christopher Nolan truther

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

When is Nolan going to remake [checks Michael Bay filmography on IMDB] The Island?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The MSJ posted:

When is Nolan going to remake [checks Michael Bay filmography on IMDB] The Island?

Parts: The Nolan Horror

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

hump day bitches! posted:

The dark knight rises is awful and no amount of video essays can convince me otherwise.

It is I , the Christopher Nolan truther

I don't think there's that much debate here. Nolan wanted to do a Tale Of Two Cities story and crammed it into the Batman framework, and the whole thing got muddied in the process. None of the characters behave consistently, and it barely feels like the third part of a trilogy.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

K. Waste posted:

Antje Traue is a dime and I want a prequel movie about her just so I can some mo' o' that femme beefcake.

Faora vs Wonder Woman

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

Fun fact - that was one of the shots used to develop Cavill's de-mustaching, since it was the closest the camera got to it in the movie.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Robot Style posted:

Fun fact - that was one of the shots used to develop Cavill's de-mustaching, since it was the closest the camera got to it in the movie.

Was that the shot that looked like John Travolta's mouth was grafted onto his face Conan O'Brien satellite interview style? I wanna say yes.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

McSpanky posted:

Was that the shot that looked like John Travolta's mouth was grafted onto his face Conan O'Brien satellite interview style? I wanna say yes.

It absolutely was, though I thought Cavill suddenly transformed into Adam Baldwin for that moment.

I too liked the moment where Superman turns towards the Flash, and when he starts throwing punches that pulverize the environment and Flash is only barely able to dodge them. But everything right before and after is just so bad. Cyborg inadvertently pissing Superman off because Cyborg's cyborg body feels threatened is a nce idea on paper, but Cyborg's powers were so ill-defined in the movie that it just came out of left field. I think it happens once before in the first confrontation with Steppenwolf, but those scenes suck and leave no impression at all.

And then Batman calls Alfred to call a cop to pick up Louis and the fight is over.Like, why not have her there right from the start? Nothing in the resurrection scene establishes that she couldn't also be there.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
I think Snyder is fantastic at creating cool moments and shooting them in visually interesting ways. I just think he happens to be loving terrible at stitching them together into a coherent story and movie. I'm not a fan of the DC films at all, but I can appreciate his strengths. And Zack Snyder movies make loving AMAZING trailers. He just can't write for poo poo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like the cop who I remember as a fat cop standing there while Lois shouts "CLARK KENT! STOP ATTACKING BRUCE WAYNE AKA BATMAN!"

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Grendels Dad posted:

I too liked the moment where Superman turns towards the Flash, and when he starts throwing punches that pulverize the environment and Flash is only barely able to dodge them.

I liked it until the absolutely mind boggling decision to cut in the corny 1970's Superman theme right as psycho Superman is attempting to murder the poo poo out of Flash. What the gently caress?

And it being the best scene in the movie is pretty damning because the entire sequence just looks so bad. Henry Cavill's CG face is the least of it, the whole thing is just the worst kind of "this is all in front of a green screen" muck.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Seemlar posted:

I liked it until the absolutely mind boggling decision to cut in the corny 1970's Superman theme right as psycho Superman is attempting to murder the poo poo out of Flash. What the gently caress?

And it being the best scene in the movie is pretty damning because the entire sequence just looks so bad. Henry Cavill's CG face is the least of it, the whole thing is just the worst kind of "this is all in front of a green screen" muck.

I hadn't even noticed the theme on my first watch then, but yeah when I watched the movie a second time recently it jumped out at me and was pretty annoying. I noticed the Batman theme the first time around, and the only thing it made me think was "Oh wait, there is music in this movie?"

The look of the fight at the monument was especially disappointing because the location looked so great in BvS. From Wallace desecrating the statue to Doomsday sneering at it, the whole place was a nice bit of visualization of how the world reacts to Superman.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
The score in Justice League was almost more distracting to me than the lovely CGI. It’s constantly making itself known in a bad way. I really wish we could hear what Junkie XL came up with.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

CityMidnightJunky posted:

I think Snyder is fantastic at creating cool moments and shooting them in visually interesting ways. I just think he happens to be loving terrible at stitching them together into a coherent story and movie. I'm not a fan of the DC films at all, but I can appreciate his strengths. And Zack Snyder movies make loving AMAZING trailers. He just can't write for poo poo.

Totally agree with this and well put. 300 might be the only exception to this observation. Maybe Man of Steel too, which I liked a lot.

Also, Dark Knight Rises is fine but suffers mainly from not being as good as the other two. There's a lot of cool poo poo in it but yeah it hasn't aged well and doesn't hold up too well over repeated viewings.

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012
So how about Glass

...that sure happened.

I liked it but uh. Hm.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Macaroni Surprise posted:

So how about Glass

...that sure happened.

I liked it but uh. Hm.

Would you say it was... a'happening?

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

This criticism always bugs me out because there nothing thats particularly hard to follow about any of his movies? Like even the theatrical version of BvS which has a bunch of editing issues it's still easy to follow the main 3 characters motivations through out the movie (clark, bruce, lex)

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

Would you say it was... a'happening?

Oh that happened. That sure... happened.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ghosthotel posted:

This criticism always bugs me out because there nothing thats particularly hard to follow about any of his movies? Like even the theatrical version of BvS which has a bunch of editing issues it's still easy to follow the main 3 characters motivations through out the movie (clark, bruce, lex)

Disagree.

When I watch his comic movies with people who aren't as steeped in the lore (Watchmen, BvS), most of them seem to get confused also. And even though I can follow it, I still feel like the execution was sort of choppy.

I don't hate him and think he's a good film maker. Wasn't he tied to an "Excalibur" remake at some point? because that would be dope.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Snyder is very religious and Excalibur is one of his favorite films. I would definitely watch a King Arthur Excalibur Snyder film.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 19, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It'd be cool for Snyder to do his own thing. I dont think redoing Excalibur would be all that worth it with the endless comparisons.

Ghosthotel posted:

This criticism always bugs me out because there nothing thats particularly hard to follow about any of his movies?
It's not hard to follow the beats in Beevis, but the reason they happen boils down to Lex figured everything out.

It's a little contrived and the fight itself ends up being dumb because of it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The theatrical cut tbf is paced very oddly, it's because they were forced by the studio to cut I think something like 20+ minutes in order to squeeze in an extra screening per day. I read (and have posted in here) and interview with the editor which really impressed me and gave me a lot more respect for how editors work.

I don't think he said this explicitly but IMO his basic strategy was the continue the type of dream-logic flow of the first few scenes through basically all of the first Act. It wasn't that the basic facts were hard to follow it was more that they flowed in such an odd way that it was hard to get your bearings. Anecdotal of course but I went with among others my wife who occasionally goes with us to comic book stuff but doesn't really follow what's part of what universe, and my sister-in-law who doesn't follow this poo poo at all, and they didn't have any problems following it.

After watching a few more times I actually prefer the theatrical cut, the pace grew on me a lot and works since it basically carries from the initial traumatic opening scenes to the Knightmare, at which point things get a lot more focused. I think my ideal cut is somewhere between the theatrical and director's cut.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

My favorite part of Glass is when they explained what a comic book was.

The world can never know that there are men who can lift cars.

The Cameo posted:

It’s a really great “oh, I’m going to die now” reaction shot. Because of course you’re going to be scared shitless if Superman cranks his head towards you like you’re a babysitter and he’s Michael Myers.

And the more that comes out about the movie, the more it’s “Joss went and reshot half the movie but what he reshot was ways to get around the setups that Terrio and Snyder and all had scripted and shot” like there apparently being a bunch of things involving Batman having Lois be his weapon of last resort if Supes came back bad, and having to pull that string before he was going to get killed - and Joss reshot chunks of the scene to make it so... Lois just shows up, driven to the spot by a cop.

It comes off more and more like they really wanted an under two hour movie and Zack was like “yeah nope that’s not happening” and they removed him and brought Joss on and said “get us to 100 minutes” and he did exactly what they said.

I agree that getting the movie to less than 2 hours was probably a priority for WB, but Snyder left because his daughter died. He wasn't fired.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Ghosthotel posted:

I didn't say anything about how hard it is to follow or what the characters motivations are. I understood everyone's motivations in Batman and Robin as well.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I didn't say anything about how hard it is to follow or what the characters motivations are. I understood everyone's motivations in Batman and Robin as well.

so the story wasn't coherent but it was easy to follow?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Genuinely curious, what do you specifically mean by "coherence" in that case?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Goyer and Terrio wrote the Snyder dc movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012

pospysyl posted:

My favorite part of Glass is when they explained what a comic book was.

The world can never know that there are men who can lift cars.

My favorite part was when Glass showed up and i nudged my friend and said "thats Glass"