Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Crossposting:

Interesting to see that the journalists who published the story are emphasizing the Mueller team's reaction.

Also,
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1086426180448907265

It's absolutely a peculiar statement from Mueller camp because they are denying having the specific evidence, not denying that Trump ordered anything to that effect. Who knows, until someone involved speaks to it at more length, it's hard to say what aspects of the story are true and which aren't. The one peculiar thing of this is that the journos involved were saying that their information was coming from people separate from the Mueller investigation, eg either from SDNY or a separate FBI investigation that was already ongoing before the Mueller investigation started up, which we know was indeed happening as the Russian lawyer was already actively the subject of a wiretap at the time of the trump tower meeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Unfortunately the other side has no leader.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I didn't even noticed they slimmed him too.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, it sounds like this lying thing turned out to be a huge nothingberder.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Ya know, qanon and the fox right wouldn't let the statement discourage them they'd just claim it as a victory anyway so we should too.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

As retweeted by Our Dear Leader:

https://twitter.com/SchnurreZueri/status/1086423285758214145

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

thanks buzzfeed you loving morons for bolstering the Fake News bullshit we have to hear from chuds constantly. that dumbfuck who dropped the scoop should be persona non grata for ever.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1086429658797797376

Buzzfeed is sticking with their sources

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mr. Powers posted:

So, it sounds like this lying thing turned out to be a huge nothingberder.

the core conflict seems to be the special council saying 'no they do not have access to trump org communications where this was ordered' which isn't 'this is not true' but loving christ it's gonna become that thanks to these idiots getting sloppy!

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Gnossiennes posted:

i agree with a lot of what you're saying here, but that is not southern baptist at all.

edit: it's common in pentecostal, some nondenominational or charismatic christian, but definitely not the average southern baptist church

I guess it's weird where I live, because the Southern Baptists do that down here.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

I’m more interested if he actually posts something concrete. Cohen is still going to get asked at the hearing and he’s “probably” still going to say trump made him lie. Everything else is fuzzy. Trump making an official statement here is dangerous because trump will lie about some part of it and Cohen will very shortly be under oath.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Buzzfeed deserves scorn but we should probably do a little self reflection about buying into it whole sale despite no corroboration and "Suck it mainstream media and your antiquated rules!"

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

sexpig by night posted:

the core conflict seems to be the special council saying 'no they do not have access to trump org communications where this was ordered' which isn't 'this is not true' but loving christ it's gonna become that thanks to these idiots getting sloppy!

I think you may have misunderstood. I wasn't trying to make any real statement. Just jokes.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
just lmao at all the posters ITT claiming that NYT and WaPo were "dinosaurs" for not running the story, and how buzzfeed is the future of journalism

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

STAC Goat posted:

My guess/reading is that its probably true that Cohen is claiming Trump told him to lie but it was probably complete bullshit that Mueller had corroborating witnesses or evidence.

Which was the really breaking bit about the report. We knew he was told to lie and coordination happened, having hard evidence of that is a much bigger deal.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

I mean the accusation isn't even that the actual bombshell, that Trump told Cohen to lie to congress, is false. They're disputing the specific description of the evidence of it.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

I'm trying to be positive here and not snarky or engage in histrionics. I'm reading the statement apparently from the special counsel's office and this could be interpreted so many different ways.

"Trump actually ordered Cohen to do theta, A, and L, but they're saying Trump gave the order for Y."
"We don't have any text messages to corroborate this. We have emails, hard copies, faxes..."

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Crossposting:

Interesting to see that the journalists who published the story are emphasizing the Mueller team's reaction.

Also,
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1086426180448907265

It's absolutely a peculiar statement from Mueller camp because they are denying having the specific evidence, not denying that Trump ordered anything to that effect. Who knows, until someone involved speaks to it at more length, it's hard to say what aspects of the story are true and which aren't. The one peculiar thing of this is that the journos involved were saying that their information was coming from people separate from the Mueller investigation, eg either from SDNY or a separate FBI investigation that was already ongoing before the Mueller investigation started up, which we know was indeed happening as the Russian lawyer was already actively the subject of a wiretap at the time of the trump tower meeting.

Regardless Mueller's statement has given Trump control of the narrative again in a much stronger way than he had previously.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Seph posted:

just lmao at all the posters ITT claiming that NYT and WaPo were "dinosaurs" for not running the story, and how buzzfeed is the future of journalism

I’m just glad I went to sleep early last night and so wasn’t involved in any of the discussion.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Sorry im just getting caught up what did the buzzfeed article state?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

bobjr posted:

Dick Bott can’t be a real name

Literally triple checked to make sure it wasn’t a prank or hallucination

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

More from Trump's Twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1086431078280323072

https://twitter.com/johncardillo/status/1086425845873422336

https://twitter.com/dbongino/status/1086427054499876864

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1086431750610395137?s=21

also that jr tweet he’s quoting is from March lmao

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Grapplejack posted:

Regardless Mueller's statement has given Trump control of the narrative again in a much stronger way than he had previously.

Cool, so back the shutdown he was losing?

cr0y posted:

Sorry im just getting caught up what did the buzzfeed article state?

It said that there was a shitload of evidence on top of COhen's testimony that Trump had instructed him to lie to congress about the Trump Tower Moscow negotiations. It also said that Cohen was giving regular, detailed updates the the Trump kids

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

STAC Goat posted:

Buzzfeed deserves scorn but we should probably do a little self reflection about buying into it whole sale despite no corroboration and "Suck it mainstream media and your antiquated rules!"

Let’s not forget how quickly this thread exploded while buying into the Koi Pond story. This thread is always “react first, think second.”

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Grapplejack posted:

so back to the shutdown news which he is still loving up.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Deleted, what was it?

:lol:
https://twitter.com/HuffPost/status/1086420605904277504

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Grapplejack posted:

Eh depends, the ball is back in Buzzfeed's court because they are still backing the story. Notably, the reporters involved were talking about their evidentiary source exists separately from the Mueller investigation and was from another investigation pre-dating the Mueller investigation, so the extremely specific language of the rebuttal may end up being relevant.

At this point, the story is still just salvos being fired from each side. If the story is as patently false as the Trump camp would like it to be, we will see a quarter billion dollar defamation suit filed against buzzfeed, however I very strongly suspect that we will not see that.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

Seph posted:

Yeah, that got a good laugh out of me. I always view those posters as basically saying "NY TImes and Washington Post run a bunch of lovely op-eds! That discounts them in their entirety!"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Gonna be funny if Mueller’s spokesman sends out another message “addendum: we obviously said that the story was factually incorrect stop overthinking things. End transmission.”

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
All y'all in this thread are so ready to drop hot takes on the state of the media and accept framing, it's a developing story, give it a bit.

Eddie Brock got fired but he turned out to be right in the end.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://twitter.com/nachosarah/status/1086432383681740800?s=21

Wonder how many horse abortions Pence has on his conscience

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

CHEF!!! posted:

Yeah, that got a good laugh out of me. I always view those posters as basically saying "NY TImes and Washington Post run a bunch of lovely op-eds! That discounts them in their entirety!"

NY times is rightfully poo poo on for a number of reasons, including carrying water for the Bush administration.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Eh depends, the ball is back in Buzzfeed's court because they are still backing the story. Notably, the reporters involved were talking about their evidentiary source exists separately from the Mueller investigation and was from another investigation pre-dating the Mueller investigation, so the extremely specific language of the rebuttal may end up being relevant.

At this point, the story is still just salvos being fired from each side. If the story is as patently false as the Trump camp would like it to be, we will see a quarter billion dollar defamation suit filed against buzzfeed, however I very strongly suspect that we will not see that.

It all depends how Trump “officially” reacts. Guilliani(I don’t loving care if it’s spelled wrong), jr, Kush, etc are all going to cry foul obviously. If Trump literally says Buzzfeed is lying I’ll be interested.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Gonna be funny if Mueller’s spokesman sends out another message “addendum: we obviously said that the story was factually incorrect stop overthinking things. End transmission.”

Tbh I almost half expect them to do this. Currently both sides are absolutely gnashing at their bits in support of whichever narrative they prefer, which certainly speaks to the extent that that story, at the very least, seemed believable enough to penetrate that deeply.

Retro42 posted:

It all depends how Trump “officially” reacts. Guilliani(I don’t loving care if it’s spelled wrong), jr, Kush, etc are all going to cry foul obviously. If Trump literally says Buzzfeed is lying I’ll be interested.

After the Gawker trial, a slamdunk defamation lawsuit is a free quarter billion suit that will get settled for 50-100mill.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 19, 2019

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It looks like they just protected their account, but it was just basically "FAKE NEWS!!!"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/TrumpsAlert/status/1086425524807692288

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Tbh I almost half expect them to do this. Currently both sides are absolutely gnashing at their bits in support of whichever narrative they prefer, which certainly speaks to the extent that that story, at the very least, seemed believable enough to penetrate that deeply.

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedBen/status/1086434282921287680

They want that too

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
Didn't some WH lackey hedge so hard on this that a Fox commentator called them out on it? "That isn't a denial" sort of thing?

I dunno, I get the feeling that Mueller didn't make that correction for nothing, if only to keep the media from muddying the waters somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/1086419880025284608

Yeah uh, maybe time to fire literally loving everyone who was involved in this. Stick to Top 10 Lists you loving idiots.

Notice that they didn't deny the substance of the claims, just said that "specific statements" and "documents obtained" "were not accurate".
For that matter, it says "documents obtained by this office", not "documents in the possession of this office". So if the information is in a document obtained by the SDNY, and passed on to the SCO, that would be true.

I mean, I am cautious about the Buzzfeed news. But the SCO hasn't denied the substance of the claims.