Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Beachcomber posted:

I'd like a movie where the word "criminals" is replaced by "ceos" and "wall street bankers".

Maybe it could catch on.

Sounds like the song "Zen and the Art of Breaking Everything in This Room" by World/Inferno Friendship Society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mierenneuker posted:

It also can be used for the "Phil Tippett" drinking game, but be warned: Verhoeven mentions his name a lot. Don't do it with liquor.

I thought the only Phil Tippett effects that survived were the one arachnid that killed the news correspondent? The special effects house they used for the film was an offshoot from Stan Winston's wheelhouse wasn't it?

Edit: Tippett did direct Starship Troopers 2, which explains why it had surprisingly good effects for a lovely direct to dvd sequel.

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 22:06 on Jan 18, 2019

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

dirksteadfast posted:

And Billy Murray accepted the role because he thought it was written by Joel Coen. The Garfield Movie. By the Coen Brothers. That would’ve been quite a sight.

That is what he said, but I don't believe it for a second

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

dirksteadfast posted:

And Billy Murray accepted the role because he thought it was written by Joel Coen. The Garfield Movie. By the Coen Brothers. That would’ve been quite a sight.

And supposedly cost Music the job on Ghostbusters

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

RandomFerret posted:

That is what he said, but I don't believe it for a second

Totally. By making that statement, bill murray gets to keep the big fat garfield paycheck while increasing his own flighty goofball indie lovability at the same time.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

My favorite movies are Raiders of the Lost Ark, Ghostbusters, Beetlejuice, and Army of Darkness. Do your worst, subtle movie thread.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

MichiganCubbie posted:

My favorite movies are Raiders of the Lost Ark, Ghostbusters, Beetlejuice, and Army of Darkness. Do your worst, subtle movie thread.

These would be fine if you weren't weirdly seeking approval from goons. That's always the problem with favorite movies, they're used by a person to try and define themselves.

Its weird.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Captain Monkey posted:

These would be fine if you weren't weirdly seeking approval from goons. That's always the problem with favorite movies, they're used by a person to try and define themselves.

Its weird.

I tried to make an honest-to-godless list of my favorite movies and stopped when I got to 25.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Captain Monkey posted:

Its weird.

That's very true. Remember when Facebook was really new, when it was only for college students, and they had the personalized favorite movies list? Everyone was making groups and inviting people who also liked whatever movie. It was so weird.

Aleph Null posted:

I tried to make an honest-to-godless list of my favorite movies and stopped when I got to 25.

This is also true. There was a comment like four or five pages back about people who can definitively say that they only have one "favorite" movie. As I'm sitting here I've thought of ten more that should be considered favorites. If I see Blues Brothers on, I'll watch it until the end, and I've seen it dozens of times.

MichiganCubbie has a new favorite as of 23:57 on Jan 18, 2019

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Randalor posted:

I never gave it much thought, but I think my favorite movie has to be Transformers: The Movie. I know it's a feature-film length toy commercial, meant to wipe the slate of the original Transformers to push the new toys coming out, but it's still a solid movie. Plus its infinitely more watchable than any of the Michael Bay Transformer films.

And the soundtrack loving rules.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Basebf555 posted:

The movie basically says hey if you're bored enough and your life is going nowhere, may as well go out and start randomly murdering criminals. At least in the few minutes I saw of the sequel it seems like they're on a revenge mission, in the original it literally is just like two drunks sitting around in their gross apartment getting so bored that they get a "message from God" telling them to go kill people.

And then when they do go out and kill people they somehow transform into these slick, badass, long coat wearing, silencer carrying hitmen. So it's a pretty lovely escapist fantasy but one that a lot of dudes of a certain age responded to.

In 2018, it's not even a fun shoot em up anymore because the action is extremely dated. I mean, why ever watch Boondock Saints again when you could just watch John Wick instead?

The direction of the action scenes just sucks rear end. You can go watch something like The Killer or Hard Boiled that is "dated" by now which Boondocks just straight cribbed and those films still go apeshit and get you hyped up.

Not even John Wick or The Raid can match the pure insanity of the hospital sequence in Hard Boiled. Also the teahouse shootout is basically one of the greatest opening scenes in existence.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
There are favorite movies for every occasion or mood. I’ll watch the poo poo out of Beastmaster or Hard Target but I’d never develop a whole personality around them. Well, maybe for Beastmaster.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

I recently watched the Red Letter Media Re:View on Starship Troopers. I love the movie but haven't seen it for at least 15 years. The scary thing is how anyone could not see the satire in it. I seemed to think it was subtle at the time but it really isn't.

Also the fact it was before 9/11 is drat impressive.

I had a professor seriously argue that starship troopers wasn't satire because it didn't wink at the camera

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Krispy Wafer posted:

There are favorite movies for every occasion or mood. I’ll watch the poo poo out of Beastmaster or Hard Target but I’d never develop a whole personality around them. Well, maybe for Beastmaster.

Hard Target would be a good movie to develop your whole personality around if you aspire to be Jean Claude Van Damme in high waisted tight jeans and mullet or alternatively Wilford Brimley loosing arrows from a horse.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MichiganCubbie posted:

This is also true. There was a comment like four or five pages back about people who can definitively say that they only have one "favorite" movie. As I'm sitting here I've thought of ten more that should be considered favorites. If I see Blues Brothers on, I'll watch it until the end, and I've seen it dozens of times.

There's movies that I think of as my "favorite" that I haven't seen in ages, because I watched them so much on tape that I'm a little sick of them. And then I'll watch Hunt for Red October or Twister straight through if they're on TV.

I always harbored an urge to, if I ever met Philip Seymour Hoffman, to tell him that Dusty from Twister was my favorite role of his, and see how disgusted with me he got.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

JebanyPedal posted:

Hard Target would be a good movie to develop your whole personality around if you aspire to be Jean Claude Van Damme in high waisted tight jeans and mullet or alternatively Wilford Brimley loosing arrows from a horse.
Or Lance Henriksen in clown trousers. :v:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Krispy Wafer posted:

There are favorite movies for every occasion or mood.

It's kind of this.

I don't think "the movie I've seen the most times" is the same one as "my favorite". Then again I have seen JAWS an awful lot of times so I'd have to think on that.

I think your point about "mood" is a good one though. Like, sometimes you want a goofball comedy or a sci fi flick. Sometimes you want to be scared or maybe get into a good drama. So your "favorite" might be something that fits in with that.

But, upon further reflection, I think my favorites ARE, in fact, the ones I've watched the most and that's actually a pretty good barometer.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

It's kind of this.

I don't think "the movie I've seen the most times" is the same one as "my favorite". Then again I have seen JAWS an awful lot of times so I'd have to think on that.

Actually it is. This is why every parent of a tween or younger's favorite movie is Frozen. The numbers don't lie.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Aleph Null posted:

I was actually kidding about 3. But the Alien Quadrilogy with all the Director's cuts and the immersive features is an absolute gem of a pro- watch and one of my favorites.
Also, the old Anchorpoint Essays website.
As far as I'm concerned, that's were the franchise began and ended. There are no prequels, no crossovers, no sequels.
Beautiful.

The commentary for Aliens is great, because instead of one track for the cast, another for the director etc it interweave the best bits from all of them, so you get loads of detail, with none of the chaff.

Best moments :
The military vehicles were recommissioned plane tugs, and are much much shorter than the sets that are supposed to be inside them.

The facility was a disused powerstation, that had to be massively reinforced to accommodate the aforementioned tugs.

Aliens is technically a British movie, filmed and crewed mostly in Pinewood. The American crew got really confused when all the bits would gently caress off at half three for a tea break.

The gag about how Vasquez "thought they said illegal alien and signed right up" is based on a true misunderstanding the actress had, turning up to the interview dressed as an impoverished immigrant.

The actress that plays Newt is now a teacher, and is unable to say the word "mostly" without her mates bullying her.

Lance Henrikson had a special set of contact lenses made up with twin pupils, to make Bishop look even creepier. Cameron overruled him in this, and makes fun of his really creepy nose.

gently caress, that commentary is so good.

I have a soft spot for Alien3 because of how bleak it is. Its like The Fly, a harsh, unflinching look at seeing someone you love dying of cancer.

Also Resurrection is way more fun when you realise the crew of the Betty are Whedon's first draft for Firefly. Captain with a heart of gold, badass woman - of - colour first mate. Brutish mercenary etc etc

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm gonna go ahead and say Commando is my favorite movie. If I see that film's on TV, I'm watching it.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Idk if it’s my favorite but My Cousin Vinny is getting watched if I stumble across it

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Dave

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOjzADJxihA

There's nothing subtle at all about this scene, but it's the only positive movie thread I really follow. The action in this fight scene of Benny The Jet vs. Jackie Chan is loving awesome. Love how Benny looks perhaps a little paunchy, but he's quick as a snake and kicks like he honestly wants to remove Jackie's head from his body.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 01:38 on Jan 19, 2019

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Sunswipe posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and say Commando is my favorite movie. If I see that film's on TV, I'm watching it.
My favorite bit of trivia about that movie is that the female protagonist (played by Rae Dawn Chong) is never named.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MichiganCubbie posted:

If I see Blues Brothers on, I'll watch it until the end, and I've seen it dozens of times.

I, no fooling, feel the exact same way about A League of Their Own. That whole movie is great.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
My favorite movie is probably Tremors. I love that movie to no end. It's definitely not the best movie I've ever seen, but there aren't many movies I like as much as that one. Hell, I even love the first sequel; they go downhill from there, but give me giant killer worms and blind/deaf heatseekers, and you've got a pair of movies I'll sit the gently caress down for.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I, no fooling, feel the exact same way about A League of Their Own. That whole movie is great.

I really need to watch this one of these years.

For me, it used to be any Ghibli movie. "Oh, this is on? Welp, today just got a little more chill." They showed up on TV every now and again.

That's probably the only downside to being streaming-only: no more random movies. Kinda wish Plex had a feature for that.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I can't not watch Smokey and the Bandit.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Pilchenstein posted:

I can't not watch Smokey and the Bandit.

:same:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Leavemywife posted:

My favorite movie is probably Tremors. I love that movie to no end. It's definitely not the best movie I've ever seen, but there aren't many movies I like as much as that one. Hell, I even love the first sequel; they go downhill from there, but give me giant killer worms and blind/deaf heatseekers, and you've got a pair of movies I'll sit the gently caress down for.

Dune.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

The Kevin Kline Presidential movie Dave or the Eddie Murphy robot movie Dave?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Kevin Kline Presidential movie Dave or the Eddie Murphy robot movie Dave?

Kevin Kline and Sigourney Weaver. Forgot the other one was a thing.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
In Glass, the poncho Bruce Willis's character wears is the same poncho he wore in Unbreakable.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Coffee And Pie posted:

I find Milton about as boring as you find Milton. Mrs Milton found him boring too.

I want you to know, I enjoyed this.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

MariusLecter posted:

In Glass, the poncho Bruce Willis's character wears is the same poncho he wore in Unbreakable.

Yeah. It’s his super hero costume.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Queen Combat posted:

I really need to watch this one of these years.

You really should. It's not groundbreaking or anything, but it's got a perfect flow, great acting, and is just all-around great.

Up until recently, I thought Geena Davis played Older Dottie in the present (the whole story is a flashback), but no; that was Lynn Cartwright, with Geena Davis' voice. She just looked so much like her, it was nuts.

Edit: also, from IMDB...

"During filming of the World Series games, stars took turns entertaining the unpaid extras. Tom Hanks did puppet shows over the dugout, Rosie O'Donnell did stand-up comedy; and various actors pretended to be Madonna and sang her songs after the singer balked at performing for the fans."

If that's true, gently caress you, Madonna.

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 06:12 on Jan 19, 2019

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

gently caress you, Madonna.

:hmmyes:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

How do we feel about people whose favourite movie is Sin City? Tried to rewatch that yesterday and man

it has not aged well

mostly cause it's become very clear that Frank Miller was as serious about the writing as the Boondock Saints guy apparently was.

e: but also the greenscreen looks hella cheap now

e2: not the irritating moments thread. How about one from In Bruges that I hadn't picked up on before: Ray insults the American at the start for being too fat to get up on the bell tower. In the showdown, the tower's closed because "an American had a heart attack at the top."

Not just a reference; Ray's insult makes the American even more determined to get up there, which is at least part of the reason he overexerts himself, and the showdown might have gone way different if the tower had had other people on top.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 11:02 on Jan 19, 2019

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Sin City is great. It has a cannibalistic hobbit and Rutger Hauer getting his eyes pushed into his skull (probably).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Alien: Covenant is a sequel that made me like Prometheus a bit more. Sin City: A Dame to Kill For is a sequel that made me dislike Sin City, because it was so bad.

Sunswipe posted:

Come for the quips, stay for the steel drums :rimshot: