Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Based on everything that happens during the "Recruiting the Realm" quest I think we can say that the WoL is canonically a moron.

Everyone involved deserves everything that happens for not being able to smell bullshit on Alphinaud from a mile away.

As far as I'm concerned, the WoL is a brute and is only useful to their allies is a gun to fire at problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

S-E please merge all the Department of War/Magic classes and let me be an Onion

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Based on everything that happens during the "Recruiting the Realm" quest I think we can say that the WoL is canonically a moron.

Everyone involved deserves everything that happens for not being able to smell bullshit on Alphinaud from a mile away.

It really soured me on the game's story and that's saying something after the story up to that point is just fetch quests and returning to the Waking Sands. Like I was barely paying attention as it was and :siren: were going off in my head about hiring this guy who was selling information to the Garleans.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Cabbit posted:

You know what? If they're not going to fix it then they do need to double down on it, because right now "half-baked" is the most honest characterization I can give for BLU.

Either they needed to go truly whole hog-- make it 100% a solo class that works all the way up to 70 and either can either solo every instance with broken monster insanity (but is forced to solo instances), or make it categorically cannot enter instances at all and attains every spell it can get from the overworld-- or just bite the bullet and make it a slightly oddball monster-themed caster DPS with spell learning done via class quests.

BLU feels compromised, but in all the wrong places. There's no reason that it has to actually engage in trials and dungeons to learn things when you could have either made those solo instances or just put everything in the overworld and made the wilderness-trekking monster-spell-collecting deeper.

It's like they were too committed to the idea of making BLU-- superficially-- a DoM class when it really gets nothing from it and has no reason to be there except for the fact that it has 'mage' in the name.

My crackpot theory on this is that blu got caught between multiple rocks and hard places. They don't want to do 3 jobs in an expansion ever again. Yoshi P said it was miserable in the lead up to HW and I see no reason to disbelieve that, especially considering how half-baked mch and ast were at launch (also don't remember dark blowing up the raiding scene either, but it's been awhile). Second rock: After we found out that both sam and rdm would be dps, there was an endless tide of bitching about no new tanks or dps. Maybe the second biggest pile of complaints altogether. The pressure from the community this time is for a tank and healer and really, it should be.

Why not make blu a tank then you might ask? They loving should have. But they probably didn't want to because of how wacky that is. Blue mages don't really have a history of tanking in FF, though it isn't like anything really does until 11. It's got mage in the name, should it be an int class? Or should it wear tank gear? Does tank gear fit the aesthetic we want to go for at all? Can we make int gear work out correctly, mathematically through some dumb kludge like a better than average tank stance?

Lastly, they had to figure out a way to do the only thing that blu has going for it thematically, learning monster spells, and cramming that into an mmo. Given all of this, I think the limited job was a reasonably smart way to go about it. If they hadn't been such stupid dicks by sticking so many spells in instances then blocking you from instancing while also setting the spell learn rates low.

As for whether I think they will ever make blue a real job? I think the possibility is high actually, only because they can probably save a lot of time on their end by making blu a real job when the next expansion rolls around. I also assume it will largely be gutted and given an instance friendly, no deviation rotation that you must use in sync'd content, while maybe letting you gently caress about with the broken poo poo in unsync'd.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Is there a babby’s first healer guide anywhere? I unlocked SCH recently and I’m struggling with running out of MP in the dungeons around my level (34, I’m new to this.)

I haven’t led a party to wipe yet but for the duty roulette I just did, I landed in brayflox’s longstop and when the final boss went down everyone was about 25 percent HP.

I’m already doing the obvious stuff of lucid dreaming on cool down and aetherflow+energy drain to snag emergency MP but even then I was struggling, am I missing something?

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

corgski posted:

Is there a babby’s first healer guide anywhere? I unlocked SCH recently and I’m struggling with running out of MP in the dungeons around my level (34, I’m new to this.)

I haven’t led a party to wipe yet but for the duty roulette I just did, I landed in brayflox’s longstop and when the final boss went down everyone was about 25 percent HP.

I’m already doing the obvious stuff of lucid dreaming on cool down and aetherflow+energy drain to snag emergency MP but even then I was struggling, am I missing something?

Summon Eos. Get better gear.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

corgski posted:

I landed in brayflox’s longstop and when the final boss went down everyone was about 25 percent HP.

Brayflox can be rough if the dragon isn't positioned properly, so your party taking that much damage might not have been your fault.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

E: ^ that’s good to know, hopefully it was just bad luck on my part and not me completely misunderstanding how to handle those poison mechanics.

Captain Cappy posted:

Summon Eos. Get better gear.

Eos was out I’m not that loving dumb. And my gear is mostly level 29+ dungeon loot except for the pieces that are GC gear.

corgski fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 19, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FactsAreUseless posted:

:allears:

King of the Cosmos
Jun 6, 2004

Maybe We'll invent a Cosmic Esperanto.

corgski posted:

E: ^ that’s good to know, hopefully it was just bad luck on my part and not me completely misunderstanding how to handle those poison mechanics.

Eos was out I’m not that loving dumb. And my gear is mostly level 29+ dungeon loot except for the pieces that are GC gear.

I just recently leveled SCH to 58 (so far), and here are my major tips for you:

1) Put your faerie on "Obey" instead of just letting them let fly whenever. They will still use their single target heal automatically but you will have to manually activate their other skills which works out better. Eos's "Whispering Dawn" (AoE Regen) and Selene's "Fey Wind" (AoE 3% Haste on all Actions) can be used much better this way.

2) I cannot stress this enough - do not just leave your faerie on "Follow". If you move at all (which you should because most of your DPS can be done on the move) your faerie will stop casting any spells until it gets right back next to your rear end. I have put the "Place" command on my hotbar and if it is going to be a fight that lasts for more than twenty seconds I plop them down near the tank (but not so close that they get cleaved or stuck in all the enemies' AoE).

3) I am sure you have realized this but your personal healing spells cost a crapton of MP. You should be using them sparingly. Tanks can get lower before you need to heal them because Adloquium will give them a shield. The way you WANT this to work is that your tank gets around 50-60% HP -> Adloquium -> they get a shield that blocks the same amount that was healed -> this gives your faerie enough buffer to get them healthier before the shield breaks. Once you get to 50 and get Lustrate and 52 for Indomitability you will have your "O SHI" buttons ready. But until then you have to be very proactive about getting the most out of your shields.

I am by no means a SCH master but these three things got me through all the content so far. Feel free to send me a message in-game (Candache Lumai@Excalibur) if you have any questions. Or of course pick the brains of everyone in the Discord, they are really good about discussing tactics.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SettingSun posted:

As far as I'm concerned, the WoL is a brute and is only useful to their allies is a gun to fire at problems.
I think this is canonical.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Cappy posted:

It really soured me on the game's story and that's saying something after the story up to that point is just fetch quests and returning to the Waking Sands. Like I was barely paying attention as it was and :siren: were going off in my head about hiring this guy who was selling information to the Garleans.
You hire two different people who previously tried to murder you, and a bunch of your selections - the head of the Yellowjackets, the butler from Haukke Manor - are clearly just the WoL scratching her head trying to remember her many acquaintances.

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde
I don't think I'll ever get tired of /gpose.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Thank you! I had no clue that Eos would stop casting until I stopped moving on follow, that explains a lot. I’ll definitely add place to my main hotbar and see how that changes things.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
As a follow-up to Placing your Fairy, please also get in the habit of using Heel after the fight's done if you have more walking to do because the Fairy despawn range is only really generous enough for running around a boss arena and you'll probably want to minimize your time re-summoning because you happened to stroll off.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Cooooat!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

corgski posted:

Thank you! I had no clue that Eos would stop casting until I stopped moving on follow, that explains a lot. I’ll definitely add place to my main hotbar and see how that changes things.

Realistically speaking keeping Eos on a key location and being up to gear is enough for all dungeons and most 8 mans. She will seriously carry you through losing your poo poo and forgetting mechanics a few times. For really hard encounters/fighting above your gear class....yeah, you might have to actually use her abilities yourself and focus on situational awareness and predicting abilities.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
You can macro heel and place to the same button if you want. I don't have mine in front of me righ now but google says something like
code:
/pac Heel
/pac Place
/micon Place pet Eos
The last line is just an icon. Basically, by first heeling and then placing you get a Place command that will also default to Heel if you cancel the placement with a right click.

Macros aren't generally recommended in FF14 because spells cast with them can't be queued by the game, meaning they cast slower, but for highly intermittent things like pet control they can help with the clutter.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yes. They're occasionally sharp, but not especially.

Captain Cappy posted:

:same:

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

To be honest after spending some more time with it, I don't think there's actually any hope of salvaging blue mage. Calling it a clusterfuck is a understatement, the entire class has virtually no underlying design principles, and the numbers are all hosed because of the lack of weapon damage. They'd have to more or less create a entirely new class, but the initial hype of "blue mage is now in the game" will no longer be on their side and it'll be kind of hard to justify.

Sadly I think the class's fate is going to be like lord of verminion - side content that bombs on release that they just abandon and leave there to rot. Not sure what the hell they were thinking with naming instant death as a reason they can't make the job a full class, then giving the class instant death, and then making bosses resist it anyway, but I don't think there's anything as emblematic of how much of a dumpster fire the class is then that.

e: also yes the warrior of light is a dumbass but thankfully they stop being as much of a dumbass after that.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

nyttyn posted:

Sadly I think the class's fate is going to be like lord of verminion - side content that bombs on release that they just abandon and leave there to rot.

Have you logged in this week? BLU absolutely didn't bomb, lmao

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
E: ^^^ To be fair, it has only been out for, what, 5 days? Not saying either way, it's just a little early to tell.

I can't bear to think of my WoL as that much of an imbecile, so I have decided it's on the writers for really wanting to tell a certain story and forcing me to go along with it. Fortunately, yeah, things get better.

On another note: When turning DoL collectables in to Rowena, are sub-max level items ever "starred"? I.e., should I hold on to my beech branches and raw triphanes, or just clear them out of my retainer space right now?

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I don't disagree the class has huge initial novelty, and heck I was even swooned by it at first, but the party requirements to unlock half the spell list are hitting most people I know like a sack of bricks. It definitely isn't immediately making GBS threads the bed like LoV did, but give it another few days for more casual people to hit the trail/hard dungeon wall and the honeymoon will probably be over.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Yeah, I was sick the day Verminion came out and logged in like a day or two later and it was already dead. The number of people that have grinded up BLU is way bigger than the number that ever engaged with Verminion

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nyttyn posted:

I don't disagree the class has huge initial novelty, and heck I was even swooned by it at first, but the party requirements to unlock half the spell list are hitting most people I know like a sack of bricks. It definitely isn't immediately making GBS threads the bed like LoV did, but give it another few days for more casual people to hit the trail/hard dungeon wall and the honeymoon will probably be over.

I really don't understand how the party requirement is 'hitting people like a sack of bricks." From what I've seen people are just doing quick learning parties or getting people to get a friend to unsync it for them. 4 Blue Mages can pretty trivially run all the level 50 dungeons that have spells and the only primals which require effort are Garuda and Shiva.

LIke I learned most of the spells by going into dungeons with 3 friends, all of Blue Mage, and running them a couple of times. If I wanted to I could have gotten a 70 to unsync it faster but it was fun to do Blue runs. The Primal spells are all I have left and those mostly are an issue because their drop rate is poo poo. Even then Ifrit is going to be a non-issue next patch because a level 50 BLU can absolutely solo Ifrit Normal and most of the others can be done on Hard mode.

Edit: like straight up. Casually playing, I got every spell except the primals (and I have Titan, Shiva, and Leviathan of those) in under a week without really trying very hard. I could get those spells if I wanted to grind for an hour.

Blue Mage's more likely problem is genuinely that it doesn't have enough to do and people are going to finish it quickly, especially with the EXP glitch being publically known and promises that nobody will be punished for it. I expect people excited about Blue have already maxed it or will soon and casual players won't be far behind.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 19, 2019

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Here is my experience with BLU so far:
-I was in the giant crowd of people hanging out in Limsa at weekly reset. Then no quest popped and I left.
-An hour later I went and watched the cutscenes and noted that all of the cast times looked really really long in them. Then I couldn't equip the weapon because I had no room in my armoury chest. Then I left.
-A day later I equipped the cane finally and made a gearset with all the XP boosting items. Then I went over to the quest giver and decided to attack a crab nearby to see how things felt. I died. The crowd of people there stared at my corpse for a while, then I left the zone.
-A day later I was randomly gathering in E Than and watched a lvl 18ish BLU attack a buffalo thingy of the same level. In a minute or so they took off 25% or so of its health. Then I gathered my rocks or w/e and left the zone.

Thanks for listening friends.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
If only they had learned Tail Screw...

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh good I just did that and I'm glad how weird it felt to have him muster a force almost immediatly after he had to resort to manipulating Minfilia to get his way, might end up baring true. And that it's not just me being blinded by how sick I am of that little poo poo. And his weird fuckin shoes!

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
BLU is a fun, new way to farm Allied Seals, which makes it good!

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I just hit level 30 on my bard and unlocked performances.

This is everything I wanted in a bard class.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

nyttyn posted:

also yes the warrior of light is a dumbass but thankfully they stop being as much of a dumbass after that.

I like how if you talk to Senri in the Four Lords quest and ask "Who are the Four Lords?", she wonders if you have brain damage from too many blows to the head.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Is there a certain way you are suppose to be doing the blue mage XP exploit? I kill something with BRD and then i can't switch in time because the game says i'm not allowed. Assumingly because i'm still in combat for a bit after the kill?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Shame Boy posted:

Is there a certain way you are suppose to be doing the blue mage XP exploit? I kill something with BRD and then i can't switch in time because the game says i'm not allowed. Assumingly because i'm still in combat for a bit after the kill?

Are you one-shotting them? And making sure they don't link to anything else?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

jalapeno_dude posted:

Here is my experience with BLU so far:
-I was in the giant crowd of people hanging out in Limsa at weekly reset. Then no quest popped and I left.
-An hour later I went and watched the cutscenes and noted that all of the cast times looked really really long in them. Then I couldn't equip the weapon because I had no room in my armoury chest. Then I left.
-A day later I equipped the cane finally and made a gearset with all the XP boosting items. Then I went over to the quest giver and decided to attack a crab nearby to see how things felt. I died. The crowd of people there stared at my corpse for a while, then I left the zone.
-A day later I was randomly gathering in E Than and watched a lvl 18ish BLU attack a buffalo thingy of the same level. In a minute or so they took off 25% or so of its health. Then I gathered my rocks or w/e and left the zone.

Thanks for listening friends.

That sounds about right. :v:

The Shame Boy posted:

If the battle music starts playing, you've done something wrong.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Ah that's probably it then, must kill faster and arrows are too slow.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

The Shame Boy posted:

You do an action that will kill the unaggroed target in one hit (and pull nothing else). After it's executed, but before the target dies, switch. Done right (mashing the job switch will do it) you'll switch as the enemy dies but before the EXP popup.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Failboattootoot posted:

My crackpot theory on this is that blu got caught between multiple rocks and hard places. They don't want to do 3 jobs in an expansion ever again. Yoshi P said it was miserable in the lead up to HW and I see no reason to disbelieve that, especially considering how half-baked mch and ast were at launch (also don't remember dark blowing up the raiding scene either, but it's been awhile). Second rock: After we found out that both sam and rdm would be dps, there was an endless tide of bitching about no new tanks or dps. Maybe the second biggest pile of complaints altogether. The pressure from the community this time is for a tank and healer and really, it should be.

Why not make blu a tank then you might ask? They loving should have. But they probably didn't want to because of how wacky that is. Blue mages don't really have a history of tanking in FF, though it isn't like anything really does until 11. It's got mage in the name, should it be an int class? Or should it wear tank gear? Does tank gear fit the aesthetic we want to go for at all? Can we make int gear work out correctly, mathematically through some dumb kludge like a better than average tank stance?

Lastly, they had to figure out a way to do the only thing that blu has going for it thematically, learning monster spells, and cramming that into an mmo. Given all of this, I think the limited job was a reasonably smart way to go about it. If they hadn't been such stupid dicks by sticking so many spells in instances then blocking you from instancing while also setting the spell learn rates low.

As for whether I think they will ever make blue a real job? I think the possibility is high actually, only because they can probably save a lot of time on their end by making blu a real job when the next expansion rolls around. I also assume it will largely be gutted and given an instance friendly, no deviation rotation that you must use in sync'd content, while maybe letting you gently caress about with the broken poo poo in unsync'd.

BLU could have made a really good tank thematically, in my opinion. A lot of the pieces were there in classic BLU abilities. Mighty Guard, White Wind, Limit Glove (I think a tank that wants to drop briefly to 1 hit from dead would be pretty funny, albeit harrowing for healers to work with). As for gear? Eh, screw it, make them strength/vit based and give them plate armor. That's like, the least important part of BLU thematically.

If I HAD to do the limited class idea, I would've handled BLU in its own special Eureka style zone where progressing through it was actually a puzzle based around various monster abilities. Basically just take the carnivale notion and stretch it out to be the entire sum of the content BLU is based around instead of this garbage open world nonsense followed by something vaguely interesting but requiring of entirely too much grinding for low learn rate abilities and that is over way too soon.

Edit: Basically what I'm getting at is that I agree with the people who were saying BLU is incredibly half-baked in a way that I don't think is really satisfying even if you were not opposed to the idea of a limited job. It's insultingly low effort to the point where nothing at all would have been better.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 19, 2019

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

The Shame Boy posted:

Ah that's probably it then, must kill faster and arrows are too slow.

A RDM instacasted spell has worked 100% of the time for me.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Goons think if they didn't like something surely it means nobody else did. With regards to BLU I mean. It did fine and will continue to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I had the issue where I couldn't do it with Bard but managed fine with RDM using Jolt II. I think the idea is you want to swap in the split second before your attack actually lands and it kills the enemy so having something with a travel time like a Jolt II or a Fire I works well where as Bard skills are so fast that it's hard to do right. In theory you could also use any of the tanks with their ranged attacks as well.

In other news I'm enjoying BLU a whole lot. It's been a lot of fun to get all the things as well as figure out how all their stuff interacts. Carnivale has been really fun too. I agree that the drop rates on some stuff are bullshit though, especially the primals.

But I made a kickin' rad glamour so in the end I'm happy because as always glamour is the true endgame.