Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Time travelers did come back and it turns out that history as it is is the less awful timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Turns out Multiverse Theory is in fact a bitch.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Time travelers did come back and it turns out that history as it is is the less awful timeline.
freaking leibnitz

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The Bad Timeline involves competitive debate on the United States Tank Destroyer Doctrine being the national pastime.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

So you're saying there's some good and some bad? Do they get that instead of reality TV?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

I met this guy last year! It was really neat, he was doing pretty well for a guy in his 90s.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Plot twist, every attempt to fix the past made everything worse so time travel is now illegal

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

:ck5:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Taerkar posted:

So you're saying there's some good and some bad? Do they get that instead of reality TV?

they get tank destroyers, we get reality TV, but the adjacent timeline still has pikes and big silly hats

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What's the most effective pike destroyer? Is it another pike?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

HEY GUNS posted:

they get tank destroyers, we get reality TV, but the adjacent timeline still has pikes and big silly hats

So everyone not in that one lives in the worst timeline.

Now I'm depressed and need a drink.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

GotLag posted:

duct tape a glock to the end of it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I can't believe I missed a discussion of what a lickspittle piece of poo poo Alan Clark was.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I can't believe I missed a discussion of what a lickspittle piece of poo poo Alan Clark was.
you misspelled pedo

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GUNS posted:

you misspelled pedo

I was unaware, but I am unsurprised.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

that take was the best take. the take of the discourse lover

also I've been of the understanding that Nazi POWs the American South were treated better than the black Americans working at the facility. I don't have sources but honestly

I also remember there being some letter to Stars and stripes or whatever the big official GI magazine was by a black guy complaining about all the prejudice and he ended by saying 'the other boys are saying you won't print this letter. I'm saying that you will'. and the magazine published it and there was some semblance of a conversation about race in the poo poo soldiers were reading

I think I heard that in a lecture on tape about civil rights, also no source. I am the no source man

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

EvilMerlin posted:

I've been lucky enough to serve with a lot of Marines over the years, and you are 100% correct, they will take something and just do... well stuff to it to get the job done.

Yeah. Like:

"You know what's better than a 106mm Recoilless Rifle? SIX 106mm Recoilless Rifles."

Edit; In fairness, the Army started development on this thing, but dropped it because it was too crazy, to which the USMC said "hold my beer."

quote:

The stories some of them told about LVTP's were loving hilarious (well most of the time , others it was downright startling).

I did my first enlistment on them before lat-moving into tanks. Tankers are great, but AAV crewmen are just insane.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 19, 2019

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

oystertoadfish posted:

that take was the best take. the take of the discourse lover

also I've been of the understanding that Nazi POWs the American South were treated better than the black Americans working at the facility. I don't have sources but honestly

I also remember there being some letter to Stars and stripes or whatever the big official GI magazine was by a black guy complaining about all the prejudice and he ended by saying 'the other boys are saying you won't print this letter. I'm saying that you will'. and the magazine published it and there was some semblance of a conversation about race in the poo poo soldiers were reading

I think I heard that in a lecture on tape about civil rights, also no source. I am the no source man

There was a story on NPR (that I'm having trouble digging up) about the populace surrounding a US prisoner of war camp in general resenting how well the Nazis were treated. The most resource-rich nation on the planet at the time providing adequate room and board to its enemies? Not hard to see how people in disadvantaged situations could resent that, especially coming out of the great depression.

There was also a part of the story where some people in the town really grew to like the PoWs, which is a cross between heartwarming making friends out of your enemies like in the christmas truce and uncomfortable cuddling up with Nazis. Take your pick.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

SlothfulCobra posted:

There was a story on NPR (that I'm having trouble digging up)

RadioLab?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SlothfulCobra posted:

There was a story on NPR (that I'm having trouble digging up) about the populace surrounding a US prisoner of war camp in general resenting how well the Nazis were treated. The most resource-rich nation on the planet at the time providing adequate room and board to its enemies? Not hard to see how people in disadvantaged situations could resent that, especially coming out of the great depression.

There was also a part of the story where some people in the town really grew to like the PoWs, which is a cross between heartwarming making friends out of your enemies like in the christmas truce and uncomfortable cuddling up with Nazis. Take your pick.

It's a story of a town realizing they had more in common with nazis than they thought, which is implied since they complained about POW treatment being too good at first.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Don Gato posted:

Plot twist, every attempt to fix the past made everything worse so time travel is now illegal

Someone smart could probably do a decent story on how the fascination of time travel stems in some small part for wanting to circumvent or abuse legal systems to some degree

HEY GUNS posted:

duct tape a glock to the end of it

...which end?

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Cessna posted:

< USMC Sherman with camouflage paint, wood anti-mine side-armor, wading gear, and fuckoff metal spikes on the hatches.

:getin:

I like that this tank looks like it has a pigeon problem.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

US Marines would build fighting positions on top of their LVTP-5s in Vietnam.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Don Gato posted:

Second plot twist, it turns out the reason why time travel made everything worse was too many idiots using the wormhole network to do their groceries without ever leaving the house

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
IIRC Japanese American internees were being treated worse than POWs so

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Someone smart could probably do a decent story on how the fascination of time travel stems in some small part for wanting to circumvent or abuse legal systems to some degree

In the film Primer, time travel is used akin to insider trading, allowing the main characters to get rich off the stock market. Which strikes me as a fairly realistic take on what would happen if a couple of guys accidentally managed to invent the most powerful device in the history of mankind.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Libluini posted:

Second plot twist, it turns out the reason why time travel made everything worse was too many idiots using the wormhole network to do their groceries without ever leaving the house

Which is especially dumb because in any civilised country you can buy your groceries online and the supermarket will deliver them to your house.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Samuel Clemens posted:

In the film Primer, time travel is used akin to insider trading, allowing the main characters to get rich off the stock market. Which strikes me as a fairly realistic take on what would happen if a couple of guys accidentally managed to invent the most powerful device in the history of mankind.

Primer is an excellent movie.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

feedmegin posted:

Which is especially dumb because in any civilised country you can buy your groceries online and the supermarket will deliver them to your house.
Yes, but if you can time travel then you can nip back to last Wednesday and the groceries will arrive today.

GotLag posted:

It's another, slightly longer pike. You should create a centrally held body of men with slightly longer pikes and dispatch them to anywhere a pike block looks like it might break through.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

feedmegin posted:

Who is dumber? Someone who pays to get his groceries delivered, or the rear end in a top hat who fucks over the entire universe so he doesn't even have to pay? :smugbird:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Libluini posted:

Who is dumber? Someone who pays to get his groceries delivered, or the rear end in a top hat who fucks over the entire universe so he doesn't even have to pay? :smugbird:

Hmmmm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/German-Soviet_Credit_Agreement_(1939)

Edit fixed URL

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 19, 2019

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I think that link is broken, Wikipedia tells me that article doesn't exist

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Libluini posted:

I think that link is broken, Wikipedia tells me that article doesn't exist

It's formatting a dash for the url

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/German-Soviet_Credit_Agreement_(1939)

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGDoSJmEyMc

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

LatwPIAT posted:

US Marines would build fighting positions on top of their LVTP-5s in Vietnam.

I'm mustache glasses

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Can someone help me find a quote? I remember an old quote (might be apocryphal) where Hitler or Himmler or someone else sees the US aircraft production numbers, and they laugh at them, because they think the numbers are ridiculous. May or may not include something like "if these are true, we already lost the war"

Reminds me a bit of Hitler's talk with Mannerheim: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitler_and_Mannerheim_recording

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oET1WaG5sFk

Hitler: “It is evident…evident. They have the most monstrous armament that is humanly conceivable (‘menschendenkbar’)…so…if anybody had told me that one state…(footsteps)…if anybody had told me that one state can line up with 35.000 tanks (Hitler uses the word ‘tank’), I had said ‘you have gone mad’…

Unidentified: “Thirty-five…”

Hitler: “35.000 Panzer (now he uses the word ‘Panzer’)…we have more than, we have at the time more than 34 Pan…thousand Panzer destroyed. If somebody had told me this to…had said: you…if one general of mine had declared, that a state here had 35.000 tanks, I had said, Mister (‘Mein Herr’), you are seeing everything double… or tenfold, this is crazy, you are seeing ghosts…I had not thought this possible…If somebody had told me that…I have told this just before, we have found industrial plants…one of this in (unintelligible: Kalanuskaja?) for example, that was under construction two years ago…and we had no idea…and today there is a tank production facility that…that…in the first shift a bit over 30.000 and in full development should have employed more than 60.000 workers…one single tank production facility…we have occupied it…a gargantuan facility…lots of workers who nevertheless live like animals and such…”

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

thats a really cool audio clip

just wanted to say, if i had a time machine set to ww2 times i'd leave hitler to his own devices, grab a bunch of old newspapers from Rio or somewhere else nice that pretty much stayed out of things, and make enough money betting on horses or w/e to just chill

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Nine of Eight posted:

I'm mustache glasses

My eyes were also immediately drawn to him

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Valentine III and V

Queue: Valentine IX, Valentine X and XI, 7TP and Vickers Mk.E trials in the USSR, Modern Polish tank projects, SD-100 (Czech SU-100 clone), TACAM R-2, kpúv vz. 34, kpúv vz. 37, kpúv vz. 38, IS-1 (IS-85), IS-2 (object 240), Production of the IS-2, IS-2 modernization projects, GMC M8, First Soviet assault rifles, Stahlhelm in WWI, Stahlhelm in WWII, SU-76 with big guns, Panther trials in the USSR, Western spherical tanks, S35 in German service, SU-152 combat debut, 57 mm gun M1, T-34 applique armour projects, Challenger I, military use of scale models, PzIV Ausf.F-G,
Schmeisser's work in the USSR, Kalashnikov's debut works,
Kalashnikov-Petrov self-loading carbine
Available for request:

:ussr:

Object 237 (IS-1 prototype)
SU-85
T-29-5
KV-85
Tank sleds
T-80 (the light tank)
Proposed Soviet heavy tank destroyers
DS-39 tank machinegun
MS-1/T-18

MS-1 production
SU-76M (SU-15M) production
S-51
SU-76I
T-26 with mine detection equipment
IS-2 mod. 1944
Airborne tanks
Soviet WWII pistol and rifle suppressors NEW

:britain:
Archer
Avenger I

:911:
Medium Tank M3 use in the USSR
HMC T82
Medium Tank M4A4
Hellcat
HMC M37
GMC M41

:godwin:
Jagdpanzer IV
Grosstraktor
Gebirgskanone M 15
Maus development in 1943-44
German anti-tank rifles
Panzer IV/70
Czech anti-tank rifles in German service
Hotchkiss H 39/Pz.Kpfw.38H(f) in German service

Flakpanzer 38(t)
Flakpanzers on the PzIV chassis

:france:
Hotchkiss H 35 and H 39

:italy:
FIAT 3000
FIAT L6-40
M13/40, M14/41, M15/42
Carro Armato P40 and prospective Italian heavy tanks

:poland:
Experimental Polish tanks of the 1930s

:eurovision:
Trials of the LT vz. 35 in the USSR

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Cessna posted:

I did my first enlistment on them before lat-moving into tanks. Tankers are great, but AAV crewmen are just insane.

Yep. That about covers it. My best bud in Pittsburgh was one of those crazy bastards... now he is a film stunt person... go figure.