Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Berke Negri posted:

kirkbride wrote for oblivion btw, doing parts of the main quest and Knights of the Nine was basically him

i know that, but he did not have any hand in shivering isles and it showed. shivering isles really felt like someone else trying to be extremely kirkbride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Leal posted:

Do all Telvanni not bother reporting crimes, including Telvanni guards? I've noticed on several botched stealing attempts that I never walk away with a bounty.

A lot of random containers and objects arent owned by anyone. If it isnt owned, no one cares. They cant prove it ISNT your goblet so why hassle you

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Vavrek posted:

I don't know if he has forgiven us yet.

Nope. Can't say I have. :V

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Iverron posted:

I think Telvanni rules are pretty "whatever you can get away with" but I'm not exactly sure how far that extends into that mechanics of the game.

Right, I remember that being among the rules when you join. I'm surprised that I was stealing soul gems and got caught by a Telvanni guard and didn't get a bounty for it, figured they would care if filthy gaijin outlanders was stealing stuff.

So uh, how long should I avoid this tower so the NPCs reset and stop attacking me on sight :v:

Iverron
May 13, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

If you're looking for a more simple but comprehensive mod loadout for Oblivion, use this:

DarnUI
Oblivion Character Overhaul 2.0
Maskar's Overhaul

I also use "Oblivion Reloaded" for cool graphics effects like SSAO and God Rays. But those are the foundation of a good build. Try to avoid adding poo poo just to add it. Season graphics to taste with some Texture packs. I think the gold standards are still the Redimized Qarl (RIP) packs and the Bomret packs for Shivering Isle. But I don't use texture packs myself.

Reloaded I'd avoided because of seeing a lot of complaints around CTDs. Yet another Oblivion mod scenario where there's definitely a configuration available that resolves concerns / issues but I have no idea how to get to it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Iverron posted:

Reloaded I'd avoided because of seeing a lot of complaints around CTDs. Yet another Oblivion mod scenario where there's definitely a configuration available that resolves concerns / issues but I have no idea how to get to it.

Weird. I’ve never had a single problem. However I also have a pretty stripped down mod list and also use the stutter remover with its heap fix or whatever it is.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Agents are GO! posted:

The oblivion stutter remover with the alternate heap enabled makes the game rock-solid, cutting out almost all crashes.

which heap do you enable? I had to quit playing Oblivion because it crashed way too much, apparently it was because the stability ENB on Windows 10 actually makes it less stable somehow

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

that certainly explains the last half of your post!

oblivion's modding community is deader than morrowind and skyrim's and covers much less scope compared to either.

"massive technical constraints" like? them lying about the engines capabilities? please dont defend bethesda.

oblivion has some good quests and stories but you know what - so do lots of other things. I can play a billion other games that don't require completely gutting it to experience a bland european forest. Or I could read a book. if oblivion had stuck with the original plan of a jungled cyrodiil I would defend it, but alas its poo poo.

yea i think talking up the mods was maybe a bit much. i would contend that there's a much bigger delta in quality between modded/unmodded oblivion than there is between modded/unmodded skyrim; as dubious a metric as that is

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Generic Monk posted:

yea i think talking up the mods was maybe a bit much. i would contend that there's a much bigger delta in quality between modded/unmodded oblivion than there is between modded/unmodded skyrim; as dubious a metric as that is

That's fair. I'd say theres more gameplay mods for oblivion but less quest mods in general. Oblivion having voice acting for all lines was really the nail in the coffin for interesting quest mods, and that trait carried over to skyrim. Something like tamriel rebuilt cant and wont ever materialize in either later game, including skywind. Beyond skyrim is good but its pace makes TR look like speed demons atm

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
drat I didn't realize just how much stamina effects in this game. Went to make a recall ring, do it at 0 stamina and the price will be around 21k. Rest an hour and try again at full stamina, 17k. I save 5k just for not being out of breath.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leal posted:

drat I didn't realize just how much stamina effects in this game. Went to make a recall ring, do it at 0 stamina and the price will be around 21k. Rest an hour and try again at full stamina, 17k. I save 5k just for not being out of breath.

*baka gaijin runs up to you*

SIR

*wheeze*

I NEED U

*COUGH*

MAEK ITAM

*SPUTTER*

U SPAEK ENGURISHU??

*collapse*

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Node posted:

which heap do you enable? I had to quit playing Oblivion because it crashed way too much, apparently it was because the stability ENB on Windows 10 actually makes it less stable somehow

Ill check my install when I get home in the morning.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Alright, bumping for this:

In the Oblivion Stutter Reducer.ini:

I have bReplaceHeap = 1 in the master section, and iHeapAlgorithm = 5 in the Heap section.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Agents are GO! posted:

Alright, bumping for this:

In the Oblivion Stutter Reducer.ini:

I have bReplaceHeap = 1 in the master section, and iHeapAlgorithm = 5 in the Heap section.

Thanks. And supposedly Oblivion Reloaded, and the stability ENB can actually make it crash more on Windows 10?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Node posted:

Thanks. And supposedly Oblivion Reloaded, and the stability ENB can actually make it crash more on Windows 10?

I use Reloaded and NOT the ENB and the game works fine. I'm on Windows 10 as well and I've never crashed with this configuration.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Oblivion never crashes if you don't install it :smuggo:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Node posted:

No, I used OSR and Reloaded together with a bunch of texture replacers and mods, and it was rock-solid.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Leal posted:

I remember way back in the day someone explained it to me like that, and how if I ran into a store in real life gasping and out of breath I'd get crummy customer service.

On the other hand in the game I can shoot lightning from my hands (at least 10% of the time) so they'd better give me a good price.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

As Nero Danced posted:

I remember way back in the day someone explained it to me like that, and how if I ran into a store in real life gasping and out of breath I'd get crummy customer service.

On the other hand in the game I can shoot lightning from my hands (at least 10% of the time) so they'd better give me a good price.
That's taken into account. Due to low stamina your cast attempt fails and you just give turn the water sparkling and give everyone a mildly annoying static shock, making them less favourable to you

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Obligatory

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Dang, I never put two and two together to realize that the spear in that statue was a metaphor for Vivec's dick.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mountaineer posted:

Dang, I never put two and two together to realize that the spear in that statue was a metaphor for Vivec's dick.

Sermon 14

quote:

'They took their spears out and compared them. Vivec bit new words onto the King of Rape's so that it might give more than ruin to the uninitiated. This has since become a forbidden ritual, though people still practice it in secret'

'But Vivec made of his spear a more terrible thing, from a secret he had bitten off from the King of Rape. And so he sent Molag Bal tumbling into the crack of the biters and swore forever that he would not deem the King beautiful ever again. Vivec wept as he slew all those around him with his terrible new spear. He named it MUATRA, which is Milk Taker, and even the Chimeri mystics knew his fury.'

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Exactly, I just never connected that sermon passage with the spear in the statue before.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I wish to state the opinion that Sotha Sil's corpse is never not freaky as poo poo every time I see it. The first time I saw it I was like "oh my god, this is very creepy and that is nice." All three of the Tribunal are very good at being extremely off-putting.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

sotha sil is kind of an rear end in a top hat

i guess they all are

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

As Nero Danced posted:

Depending on the shopkeep, they can too :shopkeeper:

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

For those with Oblivion installed, how do you launch the Steam version of the game with OBSE using Mod Organizer 2?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I'm pretty sure you just launch the game from MO2 and it should work. Thats how OBSE works without MO2 on the steam version.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Berke Negri posted:

sotha sil is kind of an rear end in a top hat

i guess they all are

Yeah, that was kind of the point. The whole thing is just a gigantic lie and they betrayed Nerevar.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah, that was kind of the point. The whole thing is just a gigantic lie and they betrayed Nerevar.

We're watching you.... ssscum...

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I thought the betrayal of Nerevar, or at least Vivec's own personal involvement with it, was more or less in quantum superposition due to CHIM. That Vivec was able to erase, perhaps, his physical and 'factual' involvement in the plot but could not erase his guilt - hence the confession in the sermons.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

yea Vivec did Nerevar done dirty and then rewrote time so Nerevar was killed by everyone BUT Vivec

I never noticed Sil pushing Dagoth into the dirt with a gravity gun

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Sotha Sil sliced off Nerevar's face to wear it because he was fed up with kids asking him if he was Voldemort from the Harry Potter movies.

Almalexia cut off Nerevar's feet because she's got really weird unhealthy fetishes.

Vivec impaled Nerevar with his spear right through the heart, and as everyone knows Vivec's spear is actually his penis. (You meet him in-game. He doesn't actually have a spear.)

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm pretty sure you just launch the game from MO2 and it should work. Thats how OBSE works without MO2 on the steam version.

Launching it from MO2 tells me to launch it from Steam. Launching OBSE through MO2 from Steam tells me to launch it from Steam. Others have told me that MO2 just doesn't work with Steam Oblivion, but I guess there's a workaround to get Mod Organizer 1 to work. Haven't tried it yet though.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I thought the betrayal of Nerevar, or at least Vivec's own personal involvement with it, was more or less in quantum superposition due to CHIM. That Vivec was able to erase, perhaps, his physical and 'factual' involvement in the plot but could not erase his guilt - hence the confession in the sermons.

The historical record is disputed in the game but there's hints that that is deliberate from the Temple. The two versions are that Nerevar was mortally wounded in the fight and died after telling the Tribunal to not gently caress with the Numidium and that he won the battle but then told them not to gently caress with the Numidium but they murdered him and did it anyway. No matter what Nerevar went "hey guys, poo poo's bad don't gently caress with it" and they did anyway. The Red Mountain battle was all about the Numidium and its power. The thing was ultimately bad news no matter how you sliced it so Nerevar got his pals together to stop it.

They ultimately went "lol gently caress that guy" and took the power which of course led to the Nerevarine happening. Dagoth Ur was the first to gain power from the Heart and somehow managed to do it without the tools. The Tribunal needed the tools but because they couldn't get to the heart they were declining in power while Dagoth Ur grew. For his part he was playing the extremely long game as he knew that all he had to do was wait.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Upmarket Mango posted:

Launching it from MO2 tells me to launch it from Steam. Launching OBSE through MO2 from Steam tells me to launch it from Steam. Others have told me that MO2 just doesn't work with Steam Oblivion, but I guess there's a workaround to get Mod Organizer 1 to work. Haven't tried it yet though.

oh yeah you need to delete the obse loader exe from the oblivion directory. That doesnt work with the steam version of oblivion. Literally ll you need to do to run OBSE with the steam oblivion is run oblivion and it should load automatically.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Upmarket Mango posted:

For those with Oblivion installed, how do you launch the Steam version of the game with OBSE using Mod Organizer 2?

It took a ton of Google, but I had to add an executable entry into the MO2 list:

Title - Steam Oblivion
Binary - C:\Steam\Steam.exe - <obviously change this to you Steam executable>
Start in - <blank>
Arguments - -applaunch 22330

This is Steam's internal identifier for Oblivion, so it'll launch Oblivion with OBSE through the steam launcher. There might have been some other step I had to do but this was part of it. I can't quite remember what else if anything though.

edit: I think I also had to -
Click the gear/wrench (configure settings) in MO2
Go to the Workarounds tab
Make sure the steam app is 22330
Change the Load Mechanism to Script Extender
I also had to click the Back-date BSAs for the load order to work properly. You may or may not.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll give those a try.

e:

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It took a ton of Google, but I had to add an executable entry into the MO2 list:

Title - Steam Oblivion
Binary - C:\Steam\Steam.exe - <obviously change this to you Steam executable>
Start in - <blank>
Arguments - -applaunch 22330

This is Steam's internal identifier for Oblivion, so it'll launch Oblivion with OBSE through the steam launcher. There might have been some other step I had to do but this was part of it. I can't quite remember what else if anything though.

edit: I think I also had to -
Click the gear/wrench (configure settings) in MO2
Go to the Workarounds tab
Make sure the steam app is 22330
Change the Load Mechanism to Script Extender
I also had to click the Back-date BSAs for the load order to work properly. You may or may not.

This worked perfectly!

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 19, 2019