Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Imo, explicitly and righteously calling out the wall as racist could work in the Dem's favor. Let him deep throat his foot trying to deny it while not pissing off his base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005

qkkl posted:

Trump is basically saying that he'll stop the deportations for his current term, but if he wins a second term then the deportations will resume. By rejecting the deal the Democrats would be saying that they aren't confident they can beat Trump in 2020. This sign of weakness would not be overlooked by American voters.

$5 billion is not enough to finish the wall, he wants to make sure he can dangle DACA in front of Dems again when he needs more money for it. By then the courts will have overturned the injunction preventing him from ending DACA and since signing up to work under DACA means you have to give the Feds all your information they know exactly where all these people are.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sab0921 posted:

Baylor College of Medicine is unaffiliated with Baylor University.

Baylor pre-med is very well-regarded though, unless I'm very mistaken.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

CascadeBeta posted:

Ahahahaha what is this smoothbrained take?

Donnie is that you?

Worse, it's qkkl

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the wall is not popular. trump can't win this.

https://twitter.com/ByronTau/status/1086685218076090368

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 19, 2019

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol

https://twitter.com/tomscocca/status/1086692106905751552

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Xequecal posted:

$5 billion is not enough to finish the wall, he wants to make sure he can dangle DACA in front of Dems again when he needs more money for it. By then the courts will have overturned the injunction preventing him from ending DACA and since signing up to work under DACA means you have to give the Feds all your information they know exactly where all these people are.

To push this further, “giving” the Dems DACA and TPS is basically giving them something they already have via the courts.

Art of the Deal indeed.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

They're also saying he was just smiling and listening to the music, so what's the problem?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Zwabu posted:

The only way Trump could start to win on this shutdown is if the media begins to portray the situation after this afternoon's farce as "Trump and the GOP have made their offer, why won't the Democrats be reasonable and make a counteroffer?" and portraying it as a reasonable negotiation instead of a hostage taking.

Unfortunately I don't consider that a zero probability scenario and unfortunately we have little control over how the media decides to play this.

Democratic leadership can influence it however by their messaging and being very vocal, like making the simple point that our position is open the government and stop holding it hostage and we can talk about the rest etc.

For the GOP and Trump to pull it off they'd need Fox solidly on board and I suspect that offering three years of DACA for a small fraction of the funding needed for the wall isn't going to be popular with the racists at Fox.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

qkkl posted:

Trump is basically saying that he'll stop the deportations for his current term, but if he wins a second term then the deportations will resume. By rejecting the deal the Democrats would be saying that they aren't confident they can beat Trump in 2020. This sign of weakness would not be overlooked by American voters.

This is a hell of an interpretation

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tibalt posted:

So he's offering a bad trade that has no democratic buy in, and doesn't counter the Pelosi PR campaign of "we're not going to negotiate on basic governance for your racist monument."

Nice.

Basically. I'm sure there's gonna be some handwringers like Tapper who are gonna whine about how gee whiz maybe the dems should just take the deal and call it a win but if this really is the deal it's gonna be like his last address where everyone goes 'ok that changed nothing then'

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005

Retro42 posted:

To push this further, “giving” the Dems DACA and TPS is basically giving them something they already have via the courts.

Art of the Deal indeed.

They won't have anything from the courts for long. The temporary injunction preventing Trump from ending it is 100% likely to be overturned by the SCOTUS, that injunction is almost as much activist bullshit as the ruling that overturned Obamacare.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The one good thing to come of the internet: it has become increasingly impossible to hide from your lovely past self, and being judged on who you used to be accurately is a good thing. Be all our sins remembered, forevermore.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Kerning Chameleon posted:

The one good thing to come of the internet: it has become increasingly impossible to hide from your lovely past self, and being judged on who you used to be accurately is a good thing. Be all our sins remembered, forevermore.

Our last, like, ten pre-Internet Presidents never would have been elected if it had existed :v:

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Our last, like, ten pre-Internet Presidents never would have been elected if it had existed :v:

That is a problem... how?

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.

qkkl posted:

This sign of weakness would not be overlooked by American voters.

Hot af

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Jimmy carter is a saint.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Counterpoint: Trump

Trump is our first president who had a big personal internet presence prior to running for office. His internet presence was (and is) dumb as gently caress and he still got elected.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Good opportunity to quote one of my favorite lines from The Wire

“The past is always with us. Where we come from, what we go through, how we go through it; all this poo poo matters. Like at the end of the book, ya' know, boats and tides and all. It's like you can change up, right, you can say you're somebody new, you can give yourself a whole new story. But, what came first is who you really are and what happened before is what really happened. It don't matter that some fool say he different 'cause the things that make you different is what you really do, what you really go through.”

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pakled posted:

Trump is our first president who had a big personal internet presence prior to running for office. His internet presence was (and is) dumb as gently caress and he still got elected.

the problem is he also had a popular reality show that gave a false image of who he was.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

FizFashizzle posted:

Jimmy carter is a saint.

Playboy interview. Admitting he found women other than his wife attractive.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I feel like "these children aren't irredeemable" doesn't really address what most people are saying and is an attempt to change the subject to something other than racism actually being a problem.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

theblackw0lf posted:

Good opportunity to quote one of my favorite lines from The Wire

“The past is always with us. Where we come from, what we go through, how we go through it; all this poo poo matters. Like at the end of the book, ya' know, boats and tides and all. It's like you can change up, right, you can say you're somebody new, you can give yourself a whole new story. But, what came first is who you really are and what happened before is what really happened. It don't matter that some fool say he different 'cause the things that make you different is what you really do, what you really go through.”

Which season/episode is this from? Is this D'Angelo, when he was in prison?

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Ague Proof posted:

Pence tightly grabs his prayer towel.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1086694424116117504

Even Murkowski is saying Trump needs to reopen the government first before any deal

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ague Proof posted:

I really do not understand why that was such a big scandal. You show me a red-blooded heterosexual married man who has never looked at a woman besides his wife and gone "yeah, she's really hot" and I'll sell you some lovely beachfront property in Kansas.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1086694424116117504

Even Murkowski is saying Trump needs to reopen the government first before any deal

Even loving Murkowski gets it. There's no way this "deal" goes anywhere.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/GoodTipLeaver/status/1086685921418928131

https://twitter.com/1impossible_grl/status/1086689957006045184

https://twitter.com/tmeddieaz/status/1086694839645655042

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I really do not understand why that was such a big scandal. You show me a red-blooded heterosexual married man who has never looked at a woman besides his wife and gone "yeah, she's really hot" and I'll sell you some lovely beachfront property in Kansas.

It was the 70s. You didn't have two generations of people who grew up with the Howard Stern show and cable TV comedians openly talking about masturbation habits etc.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

DaveWoo posted:

This enrages the mcmagic

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Surely the 'scandal' was that it was hilariously Puritan guilt for something that's completely normal?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

He's a vet that fought in General Bone Spurs in Chief's place, but I'm sure they'll drag him through the mud anyways because vets only count when they toe our line

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Phobic Nest posted:

So the Indigenous Peoples March happens to fall on the same day as the March for Life and naturally this is how the "pro-life" behave. I wonder if any of their fellow Christians thought to tell them it's not cool haha yeah right.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a malicious reason for why they both take place at the same time given how "Christians" and "pro life" assholes work.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

How many times are the networks going to let him lie that this speech is an "emergency" when it's really him just repeating the same lies over and over again until enough dumb people believe him by sheer virtue of being on televisions

They should offer to broadcast it on tape delay so they can vet it first.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Yeah. Sex drive doesn't turn off for other people just because you get married. The same thing that attracted you to your husband or to your wife will attract you to other people. Not acting on that and betraying trust by cheating is what's important.

Look but don't touch. And try not to ogle someone while your SO is watching. Also maybe don't have an emotional affair either.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Ague Proof posted:

Surely the 'scandal' was that it was hilariously Puritan guilt for something that's completely normal?
I see you aren’t very familiar with Christians

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Zwabu posted:

Which season/episode is this from? Is this D'Angelo, when he was in]prison?

Spoilers dude ;)

And yep

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

No, I can't say I've ever gone to a native rally and mocked a vet.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Pakled posted:

Yeah, but the one prior was a black man that scared a lot of racists and this one was saying everything out loud those racists have been screaming internally for those eight years prior. I'm not saying this is the single reason, but it is a large factor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/1086702590321090560

Pushing it an hour?