Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
WHO YA GOT
This poll is closed.
Patriots & Rams 23 10.36%
Saints & Chiefs 61 27.48%
Patriots & Saints 36 16.22%
Rams & Chiefs 102 45.95%
Total: 222 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Chiefs resodded their field this week.

In January.

It's going go be a shitshow.

Arrowhead is generally one of the better fields around, maybe they drained some blood from George Toma who's somehow still alive to make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

It was warm enough after the snow this weekend, and they have heaters in the field that probably help.

Dodadoodoo
Jun 15, 2007
Do you have a dad? I wanna meet that dad.

Larch posted:

Sure. Make fun. I would.

You can talk about sub concussive impacts, but again it's not in any way unique to football.

I was not at all in the way of the beam on that one day. It was not supposed to be able to hit me. I was setting up A frames to crank it up after it was loaded with joists.

Laugh all you want and cling to your football-is uniquely cruel narrative of you wish but I'm just saying that this poo poo is affecting people all across the economic spectrum. Not miss the highly paid football players.

Some of you guys just want to hate yourselves and poo poo on things. CTE is going to be found all over society, and misty of it will never attract any notice.

Football is the least of it.

The average college and NFL player has around 1100-1200 hits/year ranging from 50-150g but sure thats similar for all sports. Go ahead and bury your head in the sand if you want but the science is legitimate and you're wrong.

Dodadoodoo
Jun 15, 2007
Do you have a dad? I wanna meet that dad.

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah pugilistic dementia has been known since like the 20s and the majority of boxers seem to have it worse than football players. It's pretty rare for an old boxer to not have ridiculously noticeable slurred speech.

Although that might not be directly CTE? it could be other holy poo poo don't get hit in the head so often stuff, I don't know if many boxers have donated their brains for study.

The latest thought from experts is that dementia pugilistica and the CTE we're seeing in gridiron football players are separate entities. The neuropathological changes are a bit different as are some of the clinical symptoms. When you think about it from a mechanical standpoint, it makes sense because boxers are usually getting hit from the side while football players are getting hit from the front. Your axis of rotation is different for each type of impact and different structures are affected.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Dodadoodoo posted:

The average college and NFL player has around 1100-1200 hits/year ranging from 50-150g but sure thats similar for all sports. Go ahead and bury your head in the sand if you want but the science is legitimate and you're wrong.

How are you measuring an impact force in grams?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Blowjob Overtime posted:

How are you measuring an impact force in grams?

Not sure if this is a joke but I assume it's g as in gravity / g-force, a measure of acceleration? Those numbers seem high for that measurement but I don't know much about it

Play fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 18, 2019

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Play posted:

Not sure if this is a joke but I assume it's g as in gravity / g-force, a measure of acceleration? Those numbers seem high for that measurement but I don't know much about it

That did cross my mind, but, like you said, 50-150 seems real high. Then I fell into a Wikipedia hole and learned that there is something called "jerk physics".

e:
Here's an NYT article about it that goes pretty in-depth:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/01/09/sports/football/what-happened-within-this-players-skull-football-concussions.html

NYT posted:

In this chart, we show the G-force data from just 10 of the 62 hits this offensive lineman accrued in a single game. The average G-force, 25.8, is roughly equivalent to what we would see if the offensive lineman crashed his car into a wall going about 30 m.p.h.

Blowjob Overtime fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 18, 2019

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Athanatos posted:

Is "Click it or Ticket" really considered a 'safety message'?

Sounds like a threat.

Americans are stupid and it required nation wide campaigns to get people to even put seatbelts on their loving kids in the 80's.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Athanatos posted:

Is "Click it or Ticket" really considered a 'safety message'?

Sounds like a threat.

Every interaction with the police carries the implicit threat of state-backed deadly force.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

lol, click it or ticket. Are they still running those radio ads with "Officer McNabb"?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

ur impinging on my right to accidentally murder my entire family

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Play posted:

ur impinging on my right to accidentally murder my entire family

There's been no better incentive to wear seatbelts than the thing cars do now where the annoy the gently caress out of you if you don't put one on. I now put a seatbelt on to move my car from one side of the driveway to the other.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1086369639326773248?s=19

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/adamteicher/status/1086368543439048704

Not even probable I guess. Wait they got rid of probable didn't they? Either way probably the best news the Chiefs defense can get at the moment.

I'm still pretty worried about Dorian O'Daniel being out given the speed of every other linebacker on the roster.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

I'm still pretty worried about Dorian O'Daniel being out given the speed of every other linebacker on the roster.

We can have a slow linebacker-off

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Yeah unfortunately Dorian O Daniel would have been a great help this Sunday covering James White

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Dorian O'Daniel. I didn't realize we had boxers from the 1920s playing in today's NFL. Bet he's great for coaching the younger guys how to sneak in an eye gouge when the refs aren''t looking.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Holy poo poo, Berry's good to go?

I still don't expect to win, but that's at least enough to get me to pump the brakes on betting on the Patriots.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
There’s no way Berry is near 100%

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

They forgot CJ Anderson on the Running Back list because he might be able to cash in a bit

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Jim Kelly is off death watch

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1086392548766158850

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There’s no way Berry is near 100%

He'll be rusty for sure, but it's supposedly a pain tolerance injury and not something that limits him if he's willing to put up with it?

Hell, I don't know. But being Eric Berry I'm sure he's willing to be in agony in order to play this game. He's also apparently the only guy who understands Bob Sutton's defense now that Derrick Johnson is gone, so hopefully at least guys will be lined up correctly.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

gotta say its pretty drat sad to need a specific player on the field so that people know where to line up and what to do when the play starts. Seems like something that should be widely understood by this point

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1086441443558899712

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The Chiefs defense is good now, only allowed 10 points total in their last 2 games. One of them was against Derek Carr, true, but I have been told this was his best season to date

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

The Chiefs defense is good now, only allowed 10 points total in their last 2 games. One of them was against Derek Carr, true, but I have been told this was his best season to date*

*covering all seasons since the beginning of the 2018 NFL season.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

"Valuable" and "experience"

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Barudak posted:

"Valuable" and "experience"

The new coach can lean on Hue for important insight, like "hey Hue, how would you do this?" and then do the opposite.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Hue how many time outs do we have?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Hue how many time outs do we have?

Hey Hue you are up 8, it's 4th and a foot and a first down ends the game what do you do?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Fake punt?

Or are you referring to a real life bad choice he made?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Inspector 34 posted:

Fake punt?

The Raiders game this year.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Inspector 34 posted:

Fake punt?

https://twitter.com/AkronJackson/status/1056643145000198152

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

I mean who among us hasn’t spent at least a game or two in a fugue State

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/fieldyates/status/1086632968385368067?s=21

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0mOFNJ61Io

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Uh...I'd prefer all the players live and the owner die.

Anyway this is kinda funny:

https://twitter.com/StatsbyLopez/status/1086620377877495808

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Mahomes really is just out here doing whatever and succeeding

go Chiefs

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

Mahomes really is just out here doing whatever and succeeding

go Chiefs

Also, Mitchell Schwartz is pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Grittybeard posted:

Uh...I'd prefer all the players live and the owner die.

Anyway this is kinda funny:

https://twitter.com/StatsbyLopez/status/1086620377877495808

Jared Goff is less mobile than Tom Brady? :wtc: