Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BloodBag posted:

Aside from mini convertibles, I can't think of a 4 seat convertible that's for sale anymore at that price point. The C class cab starts at $51k, 2 series starts at $41k. Maybe the mustang? I dunno, I've driven my mom's CLK cab and aside from it being a heavy boat it's really quiet and comfortable. I like it. I wish I could afford MB because their seats fit me perfectly. Only Volvo was more comfortable, and that includes my truck.

E: I can't be the only one that was into the whole Euro dance thing since like 94. That car's name reminds me of a one hit wonder named Cascada
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK3t63HM4vA

My abarth cabrio technically seats 4.

Technically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I'm going to be renting a pickup on vacation in the next few months. Not something I would normally do but I'm going to Wyoming to chase the Union Pacific Big Boy which is being restored. This will be it's first run and there will probably be literally thousands of other train nerds chasing it, so I figured setting up my tripod in the bed of a pickup truck will be a good way to get above the crowd for shooting video.

I have a few options available (plan to rent through Turo) and I was wondering what folks who are more familiar with pickups might recommend. My primary criteria are going to be fuel economy, comfort, and ease of getting in and out of the bed. I have a highly goony physique so climbing into a chest high bed will be problematic. Some of my options include 2008-2015 Tacoma's, a range of Nissan Frontiers, a few F150's from 2010 to 2018, and a couple of Ram 1500's in the same range. Any thoughts?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’d get the nicest trim f150 you can get.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’d get the nicest trim f150 you can get.

What year did they introduce the much maligned by Chevy "man-step"? I feel like it could come in handy given the bed heights of the newer F150's.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I know 15s had the step as an option, but don't know if it was available before. A 2.7L -150 sounds perfect for you.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Shamino posted:

Traded in for $51k with 21k miles, purchase was 52.5k (800a package). I also got the bonus of not paying taxes on my new car since in Texas you only pay taxes on the delta between trade and purchase.

Trade ins aren't sales. We would have to know what you paid for the new car as well to get the full picture. The dealer wasn't going to buy your truck for that amount.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

What year did they introduce the much maligned by Chevy "man-step"? I feel like it could come in handy given the bed heights of the newer F150's.

That's been an option on fords since at least 2010, maybe even the higher optioned bullnose f150's had it. It's seriously handy. Good luck figuring out trims on f150s because there are a lot of them. For instance, a goon posted an F150 lariat FX4. The trims I think go from lowest to highest:
XL-XLT-Lariat-Limited-Platinum-King Ranch

On top of that are option packs like the FX package. Also worth noting are the engine choices. Previous goon has the Ecoboost v6, I have the 5.0L v8, and a good buddy has the 6.2L v8. Fairly certain you can gen any of the 4 engines at trims above XL.

I have a 2014 F150 FX2. I have no idea what trim it even is, if it's a XLT or XL, all I know is i really like how low-slung it is and it's all blacked out from the factory which the fx package did. FX2 means 2wd, FX4 means 4wd.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Oddly enough the Limited F-150 is the highest trim F-150 they make. What makes that odd is the Platinum or Titanium is the highest trim in most other vehicle lines and the Limited isn’t. Why this is for the F-150? No idea

XL, XLT, Lariat, King Ranch, Platinum, Limited

The actual FX2 and FX4 model trucks were discontinued for MY 2015. There are still trim/option packages with those names but the vehicle is sadly no more.

I liked the FX series trucks as you could get leather (I think) seats in them without going to a Lariat trim. I would love a metallic red fx2 with the black sport appearance package. They were a midpoint between xlt and lariat, mostly xlt with leather. I could be wrong though.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 19, 2019

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I'm going to be renting a pickup on vacation in the next few months. Not something I would normally do but I'm going to Wyoming to chase the Union Pacific Big Boy which is being restored. This will be it's first run and there will probably be literally thousands of other train nerds chasing it, so I figured setting up my tripod in the bed of a pickup truck will be a good way to get above the crowd for shooting video.

I have a few options available (plan to rent through Turo) and I was wondering what folks who are more familiar with pickups might recommend. My primary criteria are going to be fuel economy, comfort, and ease of getting in and out of the bed. I have a highly goony physique so climbing into a chest high bed will be problematic. Some of my options include 2008-2015 Tacoma's, a range of Nissan Frontiers, a few F150's from 2010 to 2018, and a couple of Ram 1500's in the same range. Any thoughts?

I think most F150s have beds that are at a decent height, At least, they're not jacked to the sky like Chevy and Dodge are.
The Frontier is also decent on that front, but the rest of it is very bland, boring and kinda uncomfortable.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

skipdogg posted:

Oddly enough the Limited F-150 is the highest trim F-150 they make. What makes that odd is the Platinum or Titanium is the highest trim in most other vehicle lines and the Limited isn’t. Why this is for the F-150? No idea

XL, XLT, Lariat, King Ranch, Platinum, Limited

The actual FX2 and FX4 model trucks were discontinued for MY 2015. There are still trim/option packages with those names but the vehicle is sadly no more.

I liked the FX series trucks as you could get leather (I think) seats in them without going to a Lariat trim. I would love a metallic red fx2 with the black sport appearance package. They were a midpoint between xlt and lariat, mostly xlt with leather. I could be wrong though.

I think they just kept adding trim levels thinking "this is it, this is as much as people will pay for an F-150" and they kept being wrong.

I'm genuinely surprised we haven't seen a $100,000 factory f-150. Theres a $101k F450 in canada, but still no $100k f-150s.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
So none of this talk about trims really matters if you're specifically after the man step because its an option, even on a '19 platinum it's not standard. I'm not real familiar with Toro but if you can get VINs from it you can check that way whether a truck has them or not otherwise you'll need to actually ask the owner ahead of time, if that's even possible.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Powershift posted:

I think they just kept adding trim levels thinking "this is it, this is as much as people will pay for an F-150" and they kept being wrong.

I'm genuinely surprised we haven't seen a $100,000 factory f-150. Theres a $101k F450 in canada, but still no $100k f-150s.

I’m surprised they haven’t brought back the Lincoln truck yet. Make the interior like the Navigator and sell it for Navigator prices. I can see a Mark LT Black Label hitting 100k usd

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Are F-150s still regarded as the best trucks?
I’ve always been partial to GMC sierras and dodge rams. With the V8 or diesel.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

In areas that salt or brine the gently caress out of the roads, the F150 wins by default since rear fenders won't have disappeared in 3 years.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
KR is one step above the Lariat these days.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

McTinkerson posted:

In areas that salt or brine the gently caress out of the roads, the F150 wins by default since rear fenders won't have disappeared in 3 years.

Wow. Good to know.
Is it because Ford uses a lot of plastic or just better galvanization processes?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Aluminum instead of MURICAN SUBMARINE STEEL OOHRAH!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I think its because their made out of aluminum. Instead of SUBMARINE GRADE STEEL.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Look at the tailgate of any recent Expedition. Ford has figured out how to make Aluminum rust through.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Leading edge of the hood on older Explorers too

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Except for the 2018+ Expeditions (and I'm guessing you don't mean those) neither of those are aluminum like the F-150.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Q_res posted:

Except for the 2018+ Expeditions (and I'm guessing you don't mean those) neither of those are aluminum like the F-150.

The hood and tailgate on the older expedition is aluminum.

I don't know if it's rootin tootin military grade aluminum. bit they corrode like crazy

all of them around here look like that.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Kraftwerk posted:

Are F-150s still regarded as the best trucks?
I’ve always been partial to GMC sierras and dodge rams. With the V8 or diesel.

Having driven all three I can say its between ford and ram depending on your preferences. I would skip GM for the wax dipped frame, and the current ram kinda edges out ford on the interior. The 3.5 eb, 10 speed and aluminum body are nice though on the F150.

Q_res posted:

Ford has been building hoods and tailgates out of aluminum since 2002? on SUVs anyways. It still corrodes and the paint comes off.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Why do people think aluminum does not corrode?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
After looking at the new Chevys and Rams, unless you are getting the Raptor get the Ram. Chevy added a few things they should have about 5 years ago and raised the prices but kept the interior from the prior generation while making it look worse. (The GMC and Chevy are of course the same things)

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

BloodBag posted:

E: I can't be the only one that was into the whole Euro dance thing since like 94. That car's name reminds me of a one hit wonder named Cascada
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK3t63HM4vA

GM wish they were as cool as (multiple hit!) Cascada

https://youtu.be/qUH-xk2MxAE

Also for the truck rental get a V6 Ram, they have the best interiors and the V6 is pretty good on gas.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I'm sad because Audi has been following BMW's cringeworthy enlarged tumor grills for the last few years. First Trump and now this?

The redesigned 2019 A6:

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
I feel like Audi has been all about big grills for like... 14 years now.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Elem7 posted:

I feel like Audi has been all about big grills for like... 14 years now.

Not quite IMHO. I'm partial for example to the B9.5 A4 which has a not-tiny but not-metastasized grill.

The grill-that-takes-up-entire-front-fascia is a relatively new and disappointing trend. I haven't owned a car with a giganto-grill so perhaps it simply looks better in real life than it does in photos?

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 20, 2019

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
Pretty sure Audi invented that trend in 2005.

Killstick fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 20, 2019

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Something Offal posted:

Not quite IMHO. I'm partial for example to the B9.5 A4 which has a not-tiny but not-metastasized grill.

The grill-that-takes-up-entire-front-fascia is a relatively new and disappointing trend. I haven't owned a car with a giganto-grill so perhaps it simply looks better in real life than it does in photos?

You’re super late to the party, those grilled have been massive since the A4 and Q7 came out three years ago.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

drgitlin posted:

You’re super late to the party, those grilled have been massive since the A4 and Q7 came out three years ago.

Yup, I know. :( I guess there's no magical vehicle that takes only MY preferences into account. I wonder why the public and/or focus groups like these giganto things. It's not like they provide performance or efficiency benefits, so literally the only incentive for embiggening them is what manufacturers think the public likes to see.

Killstick posted:

A good point. I thought that was a horrifically ugly era for Audi, then they seemed to get better with the B9.5 A4 I like, however now seem to be competing with the uglier modern trends in the industry. Fake exhaust tips are another example.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 20, 2019

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Something Offal posted:

This is a 2013-2016 (US) B8.5. The B9 is the current (2017+). A mild refresh is coming for the 2020 model year, but it won't be the full .5 refresh.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

DropShadow posted:

This is a 2013-2016 (US) B8.5. The B9 is the current (2017+). A mild refresh is coming for the 2020 model year, but it won't be the full .5 refresh.

Dammit I did mean the 8.5, thanks man.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I keep seeing new X5's driving around....................actually I keep seeing the mega-großer kidney grill coming from a mile away and nothing else. :ughh:

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Killstick posted:

Remember when this car came out - everyone was utterly traumatized by how offensive the waterfall grille was.

Now look at it. It's a camry compared to what we have to deal with now.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I really like big grills. They look more aggressive - more room for radiators, intercoolers, etc. It's like how big wheels are associated with performance because they leave more room for big brakes, even if the car doesn't actually use the biggest brakes that will fit.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

The problem is 99% of big grilles these days are mostly blanked off.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Well, yeah that sucks. Like the fake vents on the Civic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

KillHour posted:

I really like big grills. They look more aggressive - more room for radiators, intercoolers, etc. It's like how big wheels are associated with performance because they leave more room for big brakes, even if the car doesn't actually use the biggest brakes that will fit.

Funny poo poo i see on a daily basis:
Base engine Golfs with the R package having the almost skeletal 19inch rims from the Golf R, and then peering in to see the pathetic little brakes take up less than half the ID.