Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sana-kan
Nov 6, 2009
Do you think OfA would let Deku pass the past users' quirks on to others? Or are all the powers part of OfA now inseparable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
There's nothing really saying that -can't- happen. I just don't see it being the case. I think that would make it too similar to AfO's quirk.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I really hope it doesn't work like that. wouldn't really surprise me if it did tho

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Do you think the past OfA holders could give Deku life advice?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Rhonne posted:

As the previous matches have shown us, the UA teachers lust for the blood of their students

And one just lusts for them

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

To be fair Aizawa is in visual range now. Any sign of it getting out of control and he can shut them down immediately.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The series hasn't gone to poo poo.

There's just worrying precedent that it could go to poo poo.

Yeah like, people rag on Naruto but it actually was pretty good for a long time with a slow gradual decline

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 19, 2019

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Do you think the past OfA holders could give Deku life advice?

"Try to avoid letting your grandson get abducted by the worst villain in history in order to mold him into a successor."

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Nephthys posted:

To be fair Aizawa is in visual range now. Any sign of it getting out of control and he can shut them down immediately.

Does the Black Whip count as a different quirk than One for All? Maybe Aizawa is going to realize something is weird after trying to shutdown Deku's quirk with only partial success.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Of all the things that have bugged me about MHA over the last year or so this revelation honestly ranks pretty low but I've also never been particularly invested in "Deku is the underdog" to begin with. He's never been. He's as good as the top two people in his class, like, instantly. Who cares if he was damaging himself the whole time to do it? The story pretty clearly doesn't.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Yeah, when you think about it Midoriya being the underdog kinda ended when he inherited the worlds most powerful quirk at the end of chapter 2.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Indiana_Krom posted:

Yeah, when you think about it Midoriya being the underdog kinda ended when he inherited the worlds most powerful quirk at the end of chapter 2.
Even at 5-8% full cowl he is probably better in a straight-up fight than half the class.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he definitely is seeing as he was giving bakugou a run for his money at that degree of power

I'm more worried about what it'll mean for his powers going forward. I think the ideal would be luffy, where someone takes a relatively simple power and wrings as much out of it as possible with clever ideas. giving deku a bunch of distinct powers feels lazy and is kind of resetting his progress and understanding of his own quirk

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

RedMagus posted:

I'm worried both about "gee how come your mom let you have 8 quirks", but also what really soured me was "ok, we just had a kid lose control of his quirk and do a large amount of damage. he's calmed down now, we have him under control.... and we should let everyone keep fighting. and targeting him."

to be fair, they let him blow up his arms, but jebus UA, you can call a drat time out.

It's like the final of Zombie Land Saga where the stage starts breaking during their performance, the production staff starts freaking out, and their producer says "no, keep going" and then the entire thing collapses. Luckily they are already undead so it all works out but the casual disregard for safety from people that should be in charge is basically the same.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

eh I'm not on board with the quirkless idea but honestly I'm not sure about this yet either. time will tell but my initial thoughts can be summed up with "why?"

and not like why does the quirk work like that, but rather why does deku need a full suite of powers like this was flame of recca

It's kind of weird because Deku was already really strong (at this point he's stronger than almost the entire class except for, like, Bakugou and Todoroki) and on the path to gaining strength equal to (or realistically a bit greater than) the strongest hero of all time. Seems kind of excessive to give him even more power on top of that. I feel bad for sugar guy, whose quirk is just an objectively vastly inferior version of Deku's quirk, even before this revelation.

The only way to sorta make this work is to have something occur that vastly powers up Deku's future opponents. Though that still leaves the problem of his classmates being left in the dust (aside from maybe Todoroki, whose quirk is pretty ludicrous itself).

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
We've already established that the league is apparently working out how to crank out high-spec noumu, one of which nearly murked the current #1 hero.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

It's kind of weird because Deku was already really strong (at this point he's stronger than almost the entire class except for, like, Bakugou and Todoroki) and on the path to gaining strength equal to (or realistically a bit greater than) the strongest hero of all time. Seems kind of excessive to give him even more power on top of that. I feel bad for sugar guy, whose quirk is just an objectively vastly inferior version of Deku's quirk, even before this revelation.

The only way to sorta make this work is to have something occur that vastly powers up Deku's future opponents. Though that still leaves the problem of his classmates being left in the dust (aside from maybe Todoroki, whose quirk is pretty ludicrous itself).

Bakugo's still going to hang on through sheer stubborn. I'd say he had a never-say-die attitude, but, well...

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

We've already established that the league is apparently working out how to crank out high-spec noumu, one of which nearly murked the current #1 hero.

Yeah, so far none of the kids have been shown to be on the same level as any of the high powered nomu, and guys like Dabi and Shigaraki are probably well above where the kids are at right now too. And we have guys like Gigantomachia and whatever other old allies of All For One lurking in the shadows.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fabricated posted:

all might was already running on fumes and deku being exponentially stronger than all might in the endgame was already explicitly the way o4a works

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I could see a scenario where Deku is never able to safely use 100% of OfA's strength and instead make up the difference with these other quirks. Or maybe the power of OfA will be spread among the various quirks instead of all being focused on strength or something.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

all might was already running on fumes and deku being exponentially stronger than all might in the endgame was already explicitly the way o4a works

No, no, the CURRENT number 1 hero!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I can’t wait for Bakugou to sacrifice himself to save Deku, in a reversal of the scene at the start of the story.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Green Intern posted:

I can’t wait for Bakugou to sacrifice himself to save Deku, in a reversal of the scene at the start of the story.
I figured one of the kids would die until I saw the Horikoshi interview where he said he changed stuff in the Yakuza arc because it was so "dark" it made him depressed and he didn't like it. I'm kinda thinking the only people at risk of dying are the adults.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Green Intern posted:

Katsuki throws himself off a building to save Izuku.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Rhonne posted:

I could see a scenario where Deku is never able to safely use 100% of OfA's strength and instead make up the difference with these other quirks. Or maybe the power of OfA will be spread among the various quirks instead of all being focused on strength or something.

Yeah, it might not be a situation where Deku is All Might+. He might never be able to match All Might's natural affinity for the physical gifts OFA grants, but with some other quirks thrown in there he can still become the best hero.

It's also potentially very easy to just give him reasonable/weaker quirks. None of them have to be as good as Bakugo or Todoroki's quirks (todoroki ALREADY has two quirks anyhow, so Deku is just catching up), but the combination is what allows him to surpass everyone as the greatest hero. Which was kind of the premise from the start.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Two Tone Shoes posted:

He might never be able to match All Might's natural affinity for the physical gifts OFA grants, but with some other quirks thrown in there he can still become the best hero.

It's also potentially very easy to just give him reasonable/weaker quirks.

Plus Deku's naturally a more cerebral type of character with lots of thinking and analyzing. Having a toolbox of quirks suits him a lot better than "punch harder".

This might be exactly what Deku needed to be the Batman (or Spider-Man, now that I think of it) to All Might's Superman.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Two Tone Shoes posted:

It's also potentially very easy to just give him reasonable/weaker quirks. None of them have to be as good as Bakugo or Todoroki's quirks (todoroki ALREADY has two quirks anyhow, so Deku is just catching up), but the combination is what allows him to surpass everyone as the greatest hero. Which was kind of the premise from the start.

We've already established that quirks have been getting stronger over the generations, so even if the older quirks get super charged by OfA it might just bring them up to the level of the rest of the class.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!
Yeah, I was thinking if these quirks also stockpile power and emotional stability affect them, and I’m assuming black whip is the second OfA user that maybe it’s the only quirk now to have enough power to come out accidentally. It could be that he has to use super strength like a battery to power the other quirks.

I didn’t want Deku to inherit the old user’s quirks but whatever, I read Naruto and Bleach till the end as long as this keeps getting published I’ll keep reading it :shrug:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just read the new chapter and I'm really torn on this. It definitely flows logically that One for All would be able to pass on its previous users' Quirks, and this series is absolutely in dire need of some new tools for its main character, but at the same time the fact that Deku now has seven Quirks really undermines a ton about the series up until now (in particular, any claim Deku has to be the underdog in any situation was already pretty tenuous, and now it's just hilarious) and has the potential to really gently caress with its direction. I honestly think the worldbuilding in this series is kind of bad most of the time, but the main character gaining a power this strong seems like it's going to obliterate a lot of the setting's most integral facets. Even just in the sense that it's blatantly going to lead to insane power creep that will likely strand most of the cast even further into abject uselessness, I'm pretty cautious about where this is headed. I still think the idea has the possibility to be really cool, this just seems like it could very likely embody the genre's worst excesses.

Also I get why we're doing it, but I'm really upset that after that bombshell we're immediately headed back into the boring pointless class fight.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Arist posted:

Also I get why we're doing it, but I'm really upset that after that bombshell we're immediately headed back into the boring pointless class fight.

This actually bugs me way more than the OFA reveal, yeah.

There's a lot I hate about this arc but it making the UA staff look like they have almost no regard for the safety of their students is way up there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I haven't read the chapter yet, but yeah, the entire rest of this arc has been worse for me than this sounds. I had to read about a three month backlog of boring fights that have no plot or character significance and I hate it and please Horikoshi stop doing these overdrawn exam arcs.

I just

I just want the series to be good and to like it and to have nice things

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 20, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's infuriating!! 1-B can't even win any more!!! None of the characters we have any real familiarity with or affection for even have any reason to care about the outcome!!!!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's not even an exam! It's a completely arbitrary exercise with no grading system!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Is this chapter also 10 pages long, which only serves to make the arc loving LONGER?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't wait till August when we're complaining about how long the arc at that point is taking.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

According to the chapter 214 preview, the fight should be ending next week, so this arc probably won't last much longer.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 20, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'm going to be very disappointed if this fights ends with Monoma doing nothing interesting with his power, even if he never tries to copy OfA.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Rhonne posted:

According to the chapter 214 preview, the fight should be ending next week, so this arc probably won't last much longer.

That is VERY good news, thank you

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Arist posted:

I just read the new chapter and I'm really torn on this. It definitely flows logically that One for All would be able to pass on its previous users' Quirks, and this series is absolutely in dire need of some new tools for its main character, but at the same time the fact that Deku now has seven Quirks really undermines a ton about the series up until now (in particular, any claim Deku has to be the underdog in any situation was already pretty tenuous, and now it's just hilarious) and has the potential to really gently caress with its direction. I honestly think the worldbuilding in this series is kind of bad most of the time, but the main character gaining a power this strong seems like it's going to obliterate a lot of the setting's most integral facets. Even just in the sense that it's blatantly going to lead to insane power creep that will likely strand most of the cast even further into abject uselessness, I'm pretty cautious about where this is headed. I still think the idea has the possibility to be really cool, this just seems like it could very likely embody the genre's worst excesses.

I really think it's going to depend what the other quirks will be

If they're as simple as Black Whip, only more powerful due to OfA, then I don't really have a problem with it

It's not like Deku will instantly know how to use each quirk; he went out of control when using this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That the inherited Quirks are explicitly even more powerful due to OfA is kind of absurd IMO