Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Lemming posted:

Don't know what you're talking about, the Democrats have always had the power to block the wall and that's why it hasn't happened

This pretty much. Every time they failed they blamed Dems as the reason and still do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

"We are not giving you 5 billion for a dumb wall in exchange for temporary DACA. That is completely stupid. Just re-open the government already."

:chaostrump: "Okay, what about 6 billion for the wall, and reduction on asylums?"

..."Did you just ask for money and take things away?"

:chaostrump:

The only reason he's ever been able to make deals, ever, is by threatening and cajoling, taking financial hostages and lording possible legal ramifications over his victims.

He's only ever known how to be a hostage taker.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is the GOP war chest bigger than the Dem war chest? If the shutdown continues indefinitely, then the representatives and senators that will be forced to cave first will be the ones whose people start being evicted for not paying rent and starving on the streets first. Maybe Trump will declare a national emergency, but not because of the southern border, but because people are suffering too much from the shutdown, and he'll prioritize aid to CHUD counties so the GOP representatives from those counties will be able to hold out longer.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

mod sassinator posted:

Oh yeah I don't disagree, but yeah that group is more 'don't say the quiet part out loud please' than the other group. They're all monsters though.

Agreed.

It’s also incredibly lolworthy that our media just lets Republicans claim fiscal responsibility constantly and never get challenged. GOP states and GOP presidents have not been able to balance a budget for 30 years. GOP policies bankrupt governments and crash economies over and over and over.

Without the Bush tax cuts alone our government would have 3.5 trillion extra dollars. It would cost under 100 billion a year to provide free college to every America that wants to go. That’s 2 full generations of American kids that wouldn’t have student loan debt dragging them down for years. Imagine the economic boost we could have if there were a full decade’s worth of young people not crippled by debt.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

qkkl posted:

Is the GOP war chest bigger than the Dem war chest? If the shutdown continues indefinitely, then the representatives and senators that will be forced to cave first will be the ones whose people start being evicted for not paying rent and starving on the streets first. Maybe Trump will declare a national emergency, but not because of the southern border, but because people are suffering too much from the shutdown, and he'll prioritize aid to CHUD counties so the GOP representatives from those counties will be able to hold out longer.

Declaring a National Emergency is not a free for all, he can't just hand out funds like that by doing so.

And it will get oversight by Congress, and it won't be pretty if he does that.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Highbrow Slick posted:

Can I interest you in this gold 'M'?
No I don't wanna buy a gold letter M, the gently caress would I need that for.
...Well how about a gold 'W'?

This is the plot of Super Mario Land 3 on the gameboy

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/JoshDorner/status/1086738147260678145

DEMS: we will not accept the deal being reported
TRUMP: how about a worse one

How is he so bad at this?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Reik posted:

The comments are amazing

Known liberal "KillaryGoToJail"

Holy jesus, you aren't kidding. That comment section is so full of poo poo it's like the Katrina of poo poo. I specifically love the one that said "If he just would have obeyed the law, none of this would have happened"
It must suck having a lizard brain that has to struggle between "minority" "veteran" "criminal" and "citizen" and try to catagorize whether the individual should be honored or shunned

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 19, 2019

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

You have displeased the Jesuits.

https://twitter.com/JamesMartinSJ/status/1086702336934846464

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Thalantos posted:

I hate the wall....but dont public works projects increase the economy?

Thank God trump and co are idiots.

You sort of need to have that be part of the plan. Their plan involves building a lovely wall as cheaply as possible and putting the rest into grifts.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Was in a movie when Donald made his announcement: My understanding is he made an even weaker offer?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > USPOL Winter: We voted for Trump and got Jeb!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/JamesMartinSJ/status/1086704865097719808

https://twitter.com/OLRefugeMonksCA/status/1086706175146487808

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Spiritus Nox posted:

Was in a movie when Donald made his announcement: My understanding is he made an even weaker offer?

It was the expected offer + "aslyum seekers shouldn't get trials" and "asylum seekers should apply in their own countries"

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

If you guys follow 2 catholics on twitter, one of them should be Father James Martin.

The other of course is getfiscal.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Martin is generally really cool and Conservatives absolutely hate him.

I mean, he's a Catholic priest so there's gonna be some obvious problems. But he's a liberal Jesuit which is generally pretty good.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 19, 2019

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > USPOL Winter: We voted for Trump and got Jeb!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Discendo Vox posted:

I appreciate that almost any poster in this thread could be more competently evil than this administration many times over.

Put me in the game, coach! Just give me control of the CDC and look upon how quickly climate change can be slowed.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

The one thing we've learned about Jared Kushner is that he really, really thinks he's got an acumen for this politics thing and a knack for reading the lay of the land and the other side. Also that he's always, completely, without fail wrong.

But he excelled in his underwater grift basket weaving class at Trump U.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lol at this loving headline

https://twitter.com/CBCNews/status/1086715778404110338

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Hot drat I wish Catholicism wasn’t so toxic.

This guy is so close to being on the right side of things, but he’s ardently anti-choice.

The only good news is when you know someone is a leader in the Catholic Church you can be certain they have at least one or two game ruining skeletons

He would prefer we take agency away from women in a polite and inclusive manner.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Thalantos posted:

I hate the wall....but dont public works projects increase the economy?

Thank God trump and co are idiots.

If unemployment were high, then arguably yes. When you're in a liquidity crunch it's worth it to pay people to dig holes and then fill them up again, just to get money moving.

But unemployment is at record lows, and a lot of the money for this particular project is earmarked for buying people out of private land that they don't want to sell, which is quite possibly one of the most wasteful uses of government money ever devised: you're paying lawyers to fight for the right to overpay for usable land in order to turn it into unusable land.

It is the bitcoin of government projects.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 19, 2019

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

ZypherIM posted:

You sort of need to have that be part of the plan. Their plan involves building a lovely wall as cheaply as possible and putting the rest into grifts.

Obviously it's just a grift.

But if you build a big useless wall in the middle of nowhere it could still masivdly stimulate the economy, if implemented correctly.

This is why 45 is so dumb at this, he could play up this angle to appeal to economically depressed folk to try to split millenials off of the left, but he won't.

Thank goodness. The entire idea of the wall makes me sick.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

On the bright side.

This young Chud is about to have a real bad time.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Jesus christ that kid has a douchy face

Going to enjoy watching this scumbag's life fall apart from the fallout this generates

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1086754897259913222

schumer continues to infuriate the thread by not showing any sign of caving

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Thalantos posted:

Obviously it's just a grift.

But if you build a big useless wall in the middle of nowhere it could still masivdly stimulate the economy, if implemented correctly.

This is why 45 is so dumb at this, he could play up this angle to appeal to economically depressed folk to try to split millenials off of the left, but he won't.

Thank goodness. The entire idea of the wall makes me sick.

"Massively" sounds like an overstatement imo.

It'd benefit whatever local contractors who worked on it but I don't see creating that many jobs.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

eke out posted:

McMagic remains insistent that they’re just about to cave.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

eke out posted:

Seriously, where the gently caress was this Chuck Schumer for the last 2 years? Like, I get the Dems didn't have any power, but if he had talked like this, maybe we wouldn't hate him quite as much

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, Martin is generally really cool and Conservatives absolutely hate him.

I mean, he's a Catholic priest so there's gonna be some obvious problems. But he's a liberal Jesuit which is generally pretty good.

honestly, i'll take a conservative catholic(i am family with a bunch) over conservative evangelicals because at least their is big social justice component for actually helping people and they tend to be friendly at least. this is just my personal expirence though.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

How is he so bad at this?

All this time, he thought his Apprentice character was the real person.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Vile Pilot posted:

So they needed more than a simple majority in congress to fund the wall?

They could have done it through reconciliation but they blew those on repealing the ACA (lol) and tax tax cuts. So they need 60 votes in the senate even with a R house.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

Seriously, where the gently caress was this Chuck Schumer for the last 2 years? Like, I get the Dems didn't have any power, but if he had talked like this, maybe we wouldn't hate him quite as much

Probably a mix of having more power and knowing which way to winds are blowing within the party.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

The Glumslinger posted:

He no longer has to keep 6 blue dogs in line while trying to give them enough leeway to hopefully be re-elected.

His caucus is smaller now but it's easier to handle.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 19, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lycus posted:

All this time, he thought his Apprentice character was the real person.

yeah. but did he always believe it or is it just brain worms mixed with "irony"/"its all an act" poisoning.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

I do have to admit that I’m impressed with Trump.

He managed to take a potentially good news weekend for him with the whole Russia is fake news Buzzfeed saga and instead made it all about he’s a terrible negotiator who refuses to open the government out of petulance.

Bravo sir, bravo.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

squirrelzipper posted:

They could have done it through reconciliation but they blew those on repealing the ACA (lol) and tax tax cuts. So they need 60 votes in the senate even with a R house.

Using reconciliation doesn't really get you much if the House won't pass whatever you're shoving through the Senate with a bare majority anyway.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

qkkl posted:

Not sure what youre trying to get at here, like spend what from the where?

Also Romney on his prez night lost cancelled his corp. credit cards the nano second his lost was confirmed, why would they spend their own money to help people.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

honestly, i'll take a conservative catholic(i am family with a bunch) over conservative evangelicals because at least their is big social justice component for actually helping people and they tend to be friendly at least. this is just my personal expirence though.

I think there's a wing of "conservative Catholicism" that is kind of indistinguishable from "evangelical." Santorum would be the quickest example of it but there's others. But yeah, generally Catholicism is at least supposed to have a focus on social justice and service to your community. Which is at the very least a good starting foundation for human decency and reasonable disagreements.

Like I can talk to a conservative Catholic and generally get them to at least understand my stance and acknowledge some of my points, and sometimes even get to some change or compromise. Because we're at least playing by the same basic rules of how to treat people.

Of course I was raised Catholic and educated by Jesuits. I'm no longer practicing and I disagree with the Church in all the ways you'd expect me to. But I have some ingrained stuff you can take with a grain of salt.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

There is something about wealthy Boys Catholic School that creates the worst level of pieces of poo poo possible ( Kavanaugh, Federalist Society, That little Eichman)

We have a wealthy Boys Catholic School in the Detroit Metro area called Brother Rice, and they are always getting themselves in the news or trouble for anti-semetic, racist poo poo (or harassing nearby public school girls).

It's like white douchbag factories