Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

NonzeroCircle posted:

A rompler that has bass, trumpet, drums and sax.

Volca Polka.

Weird Al's eyes flash open in the middle of the night. :yeshaha:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

volcaloid

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

VolcA-440

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
A roller-case to hold all your volca modules, the VolcsaWagen

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Speaking of Modular, TeenageEngineering just announced their poor man's modular pocket operator system:

https://teenage.engineering/products/po/modular

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

stillvisions posted:

A roller-case to hold all your volca modules, the VolcsaWagen

:golfclap:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BonoMan posted:

Speaking of Modular, TeenageEngineering just announced their poor man's modular pocket operator system:

I’m really curious about the eurorack-compatible stand-alone modules that they namecheck

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

BonoMan posted:

Holy poo poo, wasn't expecting this. Miiiight spring for something here over the volca modular.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

BonoMan posted:

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I think I'm going to like playing around with this Mother-32. Here is something I just threw together with the Ableton echo effect and a simple pattern.

https://soundcloud.com/astralorbs/moog-mother-32-is-amazing/s-MojYE

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

A fool and their money are soon parted

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

you could say that anywhere in this thread and it would be equally appropriate.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Speaking of which, I just ordered a tanzbar 2

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Clavavisage posted:

A fool and their money are soon parted

im seriously considering getting the horsecock and rk6 for my modular system

18mA under peak rated load on startup is fine right? :eng101:

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I just saw Volca Drum on the Youtubes and oh Lord Korg know how to just print money don't they. I was very disappointed with Sample's crap midi implementation and was just considering shelling out for a used boutique Roland drum machine but it looks like dreams come in tiny cheap boxes. :allears:

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

What's bad about midi on the sample?

augias
Apr 7, 2009

After getting the op-z i saw that its sequencing and fx are so compatible to my style that i just need to replace the built in samples with my own bleeps and bloops.

So i put down for the modular 400 pocket operator. Gonna sell the boutique tb-03 and tr-08 to compensate.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

What's bad about midi on the sample?

on the sample each of the 10 voices takes up a whole midi channel for itself iirc

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

on the sample each of the 10 voices takes up a whole midi channel for itself iirc

there is a $50 midi cable you can get to both fix this and play samples chromatically though

https://www.retrokits.com/shop/rk002

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

augias posted:

After getting the op-z i saw that its sequencing and fx are so compatible to my style that i just need to replace the built in samples with my own bleeps and bloops.

So i put down for the modular 400 pocket operator. Gonna sell the boutique tb-03 and tr-08 to compensate.

I may be interested in the TB 03... I work near perfect circuit in Burbank and the have the bass bot for $349 which I like too. Going to see how the bass synth on the tanzbar behaves first.

Anyone interested in a mint Digitone? The sounds are good but I don’t need the sequencer on it so it’s kind of a wash.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

BonoMan posted:

Super awesome and I love TE but definitely waiting to hear some demos from this stuff. It's actually playing at a price point where you have to put their 400 ($500) up against like a Mother 32 and the Minibrute 2 and such.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

MMD3 posted:

Super awesome and I love TE but definitely waiting to hear some demos from this stuff. It's actually playing at a price point where you have to put their 400 ($500) up against like a Mother 32 and the Minibrute 2 and such.

I was also holding out, but looks like its OOS

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

A MIRACLE posted:

Anyone interested in a mint Digitone? The sounds are good but I don’t need the sequencer on it so it’s kind of a wash.

This was my experience with Elektron at large (though I really loved the gear to bits) - have you tried it with the new OB yet?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

dj bobby bieber posted:

This was my experience with Elektron at large (though I really loved the gear to bits) - have you tried it with the new OB yet?

No OB for Digitone yet

augias
Apr 7, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

I may be interested in the TB 03... I work near perfect circuit in Burbank and the have the bass bot for $349 which I like too. Going to see how the bass synth on the tanzbar behaves first.

I'd be glad to sell it to you, if you decide on it, for $250+whatever shipping is. It's got the original box of course. If you need, can throw in the ac adapter and micro usb i bought for the device. lmk itt, or augias.amena at gmail

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

A MIRACLE posted:

maaaaaaybe

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I've been very amused by the recent surge in the number of DW-8000 videos on youtube as people slowly and belatedly realize it's a loving fantastic top-of-the-line synth (it was Korg's flagship and aimed at the same market-space as stuff like the Jupiter-8/JX-10/DX-1/Prophet VS/PPG Wave/etc) and is a total steal for the pittance they still go for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky8868Xbej0

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

BonoMan posted:

I need that loving keyboard.

I mean I SHOULD get a KeyStep, but hooo boy that thing is sexy af.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

Gringostar posted:

there is a $50 midi cable you can get to both fix this and play samples chromatically though

https://www.retrokits.com/shop/rk002

I thought about getting one of these except "IMPORTANT NOTE: It is not wise to use multiple midi-powered devices on one output. You should use a thru box and not an audio splitter or such. So devices like the MIDI Solutions Quadra thru which harvest power from the MIDI bus themselves are not advisable to use with the RK-002. On occasion it seems this box can even leave the RK-002 in an unuseable boot mode."

Oh well. My understanding is Korg did it this way because each sample slot has a ton of parameters you can modify (I'm guessing like 15 each times ten) so I don't think you couldn't do fit them on a single MIDI channel.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Personally I have issues trying to integrate the little bastard into a midsized studio setup anyway. It's pretty small and you really need to have it in front of you to use it to its potential (in my opinion.) Sequencing and running it remotely is not something I think is good for its workflow in general.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 20, 2019

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
The limit of a 16 step pattern is a bummer too. You can chain patterns into songs but when you play a song you lose access to most of the tweaking functionality and I think you can't even mute/unmute.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

HotCanadianChick posted:

I've been very amused by the recent surge in the number of DW-8000 videos on youtube as people slowly and belatedly realize it's a loving fantastic top-of-the-line synth (it was Korg's flagship and aimed at the same market-space as stuff like the Jupiter-8/JX-10/DX-1/Prophet VS/PPG Wave/etc) and is a total steal for the pittance they still go for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky8868Xbej0

Just picked one up for $400. I’m pumpedddddd.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
What does everyone use for their workstations? I'm a PC guy typically and usually build them myself (this is because I'm an animator/VFX guy). Is there any real reason to go mac other than pro tools?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BonoMan posted:

What does everyone use for their workstations? I'm a PC guy typically and usually build them myself (this is because I'm an animator/VFX guy). Is there any real reason to go mac other than pro tools?

https://youtu.be/dxIPcbmo1_U

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BonoMan posted:

No. The only reason to go Mac is Logic, which is much better than Protools. The only reason anybody uses Protools is because it’s been the ‘standard’ at big studios for so long. It’s kinda like Quark Express from the printing and publishing world, an ugly relic of the mid 90’s that should have been discontinued long, long ago, but is thankfully being put out of misery, albeit far too slowly, by newer software (by stuff like Waveform and Ableton and Logic that has adopted a much more intuitive and easy to use UI on the music side, and by Indesign doing the same in the print world).

Thinking of Macs specifically for doing a/v production work (music, film editing, print and prepress) is similarly from an earlier era where they had strengths and capabilities superior to PCs, but those days are long, long past and both Macs and PCs are pretty much indistinguishable for any practical purpose, aside from price and Apple’s much more restricted set of options and lack of upgradability, which for most people means a Windows box will probably be cheaper and easier to customize for your needs 99% of the time.

Software wise, any serious major plugins are available as VST, but not all of them have a version in the proprietary Protools format or in the Apple version of VSTs (most have all 3 by now, but there are a few that only have one or two of the three) so if you pick something like Cubase/FL Studio/Ableton/Sonar/Waveform on a PC, you will maximize your smorgasbord of available plugins as well.

I typed this on my iPhone while listening to something playing on my iPad, while sitting in my recording studio room with three Windows machines running Win 10 (main sequencing and production computer), Windows 7 (special ultraquiet computer specifically custom built by myself to be inaudible to my sensitive condenser mics for when I’m recording with mics), and Windows XP, all running copies of Waveform and/or it’s predecessor Tracktion.

The last being my old music laptop that I used to use for practice sessions in my old band at the guitarist/vocalist’s house - I only needed to lug the laptop, full of plugins, my 25-key X-Station to use as synth-controller-audio i/o for the laptop, and my keyboard amp when I drove across the state line to Washington to write poo poo with him.

95% of writing and recording these songs was done by the two of us with that exact setup (ancient core2duo 2ghz laptop/X-Station/kb amp) at his house:
https://m.soundcloud.com/civic-silver/line-trace-shadow
https://m.soundcloud.com/civic-silver/steps-along-the-edge
https://m.soundcloud.com/civic-silver/saturday-afternoons-slow-section

Even the guitar was DI’d into the laptop thru the X-Station, which is the divinely ordained one true controller synth every bedroom producer needs for work.

tl;dr: my stoned ramblings about why a PC running Waveform with a Novation X-Station is still the best music making setup you can get for the dollar, so no don’t get a Mac for Protools.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

HotCanadianChick posted:

No. The only reason to go Mac is Logic, which is much better than Protools. The only reason anybody uses Protools is because it’s been the ‘standard’ at big studios for so long. It’s kinda like Quark Express from the printing and publishing world, an ugly relic of the mid 90’s that should have been discontinued long, long ago, but is thankfully being put out of misery, albeit far too slowly, by newer software (by stuff like Waveform and Ableton and Logic that has adopted a much more intuitive and easy to use UI on the music side, and by Indesign doing the same in the print world).

Thinking of Macs specifically for doing a/v production work (music, film editing, print and prepress) is similarly from an earlier era where they had strengths and capabilities superior to PCs, but those days are long, long past and both Macs and PCs are pretty much indistinguishable for any practical purpose, aside from price and Apple’s much more restricted set of options and lack of upgradability, which for most people means a Windows box will probably be cheaper and easier to customize for your needs 99% of the time.

Software wise, any serious major plugins are available as VST, but not all of them have a version in the proprietary Protools format or in the Apple version of VSTs (most have all 3 by now, but there are a few that only have one or two of the three) so if you pick something like Cubase/FL Studio/Ableton/Sonar/Waveform on a PC, you will maximize your smorgasbord of available plugins as well.

I typed this on my iPhone while listening to something playing on my iPad, while sitting in my recording studio room with three Windows machines running Win 10 (main sequencing and production computer), Windows 7 (special ultraquiet computer specifically custom built by myself to be inaudible to my sensitive condenser mics for when I’m recording with mics), and Windows XP, all running copies of Waveform and/or it’s predecessor Tracktion.

The last being my old music laptop that I used to use for practice sessions in my old band at the guitarist/vocalist’s house - I only needed to lug the laptop, full of plugins, my 25-key X-Station to use as synth-controller-audio i/o for the laptop, and my keyboard amp when I drove across the state line to Washington to write poo poo with him.

95% of writing and recording these songs was done by the two of us with that exact setup (ancient core2duo 2ghz laptop/X-Station/kb amp) at his house:
https://m.soundcloud.com/civic-silver/line-trace-shadow
https://m.soundcloud.com/civic-silver/steps-along-the-edge
https://m.soundcloud.com/civic-silver/saturday-afternoons-slow-section

Even the guitar was DI’d into the laptop thru the X-Station, which is the divinely ordained one true controller synth every bedroom producer needs for work.

tl;dr: my stoned ramblings about why a PC running Waveform with a Novation X-Station is still the best music making setup you can get for the dollar, so no don’t get a Mac for Protools.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't going to get a Mac, I work at an ad agency where everyone is on Macs other than video production which is all on PCs I built. I was just wondering, poorly wordedly, if there was anything exclusive to a Mac I was missing. More of a curiosity rather than anything driving a future purchase!

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

BonoMan posted:

Thanks for the info. I wasn't going to get a Mac, I work at an ad agency where everyone is on Macs other than video production which is all on PCs I built. I was just wondering, poorly wordedly, if there was anything exclusive to a Mac I was missing. More of a curiosity rather than anything driving a future purchase!

Apogee still has a few Apple-only interfaces, but beyond that, I made the switch away from a Mac earlier this year and have not regretted it.

I was running everything through my MBP, which struggled during the summer with a hotter studio environment. I feel like I lost a good chunk of production time simply because every time I would work, it would freeze up from overheating. Switched to a tower and now that's not a problem.

I know some better-ventilated Macs for "pro" use are coming, but I was able to put together a really good PC for like $1500. It just seems excessive (and I LOVE MacOS and still have my MBP). I don't think you're really missing out on anything.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

Just picked one up for $400. I’m pumpedddddd.

I'm not in the market but there's one on Portland Craigslist right now for $400 OBO

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

MMD3 posted:

I'm not in the market but there's one on Portland Craigslist right now for $400 OBO

Buy it and ship it to me. Kthx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I have a Yamaha digital piano that I’ve been using as, well, a piano but it also has a digital out that I’ve hooked to my iPad to have some fun with different effects and recordings.

I’d like to toy with a beat machine to eventually add but don’t want to spend a lot just to try it out. You guys like Teenage Engineering/Pocket Operators? They seem like a fun inexpensive way to test the water.

E: The arcade one is my favorite sounding.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 21, 2019