Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing that sometimes happens to me is that when I try to take a deep breath or yawn, I can't quite "finish" my inhalation. You know, like I'm not quite that last bit of air into my lungs.

It happens from time to time; it's not on all the time. Usually I take it as a sign that I need to get on the treadmill for a half hour and force my breathing to work properly. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Rats Tossbag posted:

My pet peeve is when my roommate takes his food out of the microwave with like 3 seconds left on it. Why. Why do you do this.

Also he leaves his teabags in the sink. Once he washed the dishes, necessitating removing the teabags, and then put them back in the sink afterwards

I do what the canary a few posts up does, just set like an hour on it and leave it. No beeping, no having to set a time, just stop it after the appropriate amount of time. Right now it's at 10:43, haven't had to re-set it in like 2 months.

I fully understand why someone would be annoyed by it though, and probably wouldn't do it if I didn't live alone.

The sink thing is just gross - why would you put them in the sink at all instead of directly in the trash? Does he reuse them or something? I had a roommate who had a similar habit where they did half the work necessary to clean something up, but then just put it back instead. No amount of logic ever seemed to work, they would just say something along the lines of "thinking about cleaning upsets me, i'm not in the right mood right now" etc.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Shibawanko posted:

Wife started watching TED talks and it really bums me out

Why?

No seriously I mean, yes they suck and are fully given by pretentious dipshits but I am wondering why it bums you out, is she like preaching their 'wisdom' at you 24/7 now or something

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Slippery posted:

Why?

No seriously I mean, yes they suck and are fully given by pretentious dipshits but I am wondering why it bums you out, is she like preaching their 'wisdom' at you 24/7 now or something

Not that poster, but in the past I've found that when people start watching TED talks, they start wanting to talk about them to everyone, which would bum me out because it's extremely boring. Especially if it has anything to do with Jordan Peterson and they go down that particular rabbit hole of stupidity and "red pills".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Related peeve: people who think if you don’t want to “debate” them on whatever dumb bullshit it’s because you can’t compete against their towering intellect

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
No, Youtube, I don't want to subscribe to racist, screaming manchild Pewdiepie, nor do I know why you think this is an appropriate recommendation when I've just subscribed to a channel documenting the medical consequences of people doing stupid things. "A Man Was Recommended Pewdiepie. Here's What Happened To His Computer."

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Sunswipe posted:

No, Youtube, I don't want to subscribe to racist, screaming manchild Pewdiepie, nor do I know why you think this is an appropriate recommendation when I've just subscribed to a channel documenting the medical consequences of people doing stupid things. "A Man Was Recommended Pewdiepie. Here's What Happened To His Computer."

tbf though, I'd pay to see someone punch through a laptop like that without bracing it in any way

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Slippery posted:

tbf though, I'd pay to see someone punch through a laptop like that without bracing it in any way

Just lol if your punches don't travel faster than a bullet. I have to get a concealed weapons permit just to wear gloves.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Is that Bobby Moynihan?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's from an SNL bit? I'm not sure, though.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
What the gently caress is a TED talk? I've never seen one and only ever see them referenced here and in memes.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Leavemywife posted:

What the gently caress is a TED talk? I've never seen one and only ever see them referenced here and in memes.

It is a series of lectures that lend false credibility to any moron who is willing to get up on stage for 15 minutes and talk about whatever they feel like.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It is a series of lectures that lend false credibility to any moron who is willing to get up on stage for 15 minutes and talk about whatever they feel like.

Yeah that pretty much sums it up.
I think at one point they got held in fairly high regard due to a lot of popular scientists delivering interesting, short/easily digestible talks about a certain topic.
I think the last one I saw was a guy pacing around retelling a story about how hilarious it was when he pretended to bite on an email scam. (Which of course seemed blatantly fake.)

There have been a couple pretty interesting ones though, like the one where a neuroscientist told a story about when she got a stroke ( or aneurysm? ) and how it completely altered her perception as it was happening.

Edit: Neuroanatomist*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyyjU8fzEYU

SubNat has a new favorite as of 00:50 on Jan 20, 2019

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Yeah I mean they aren't all trash, my former phd mentor gave one on exoplanets which was pretty interesting, but that was less a "ted talk" and more just a public astronomy talk that happened to be given at a tedx event.

The ire is more directed at the people with no qualifications to be talking about what they are talking about and just are selling their own brand and trying to make half-formed philosophical points like jordan peterson.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is Jordan Peterson allowed to be a pet peeve

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Of course. He is mine now. And all the other right wing people.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When friends or family say or make plans that they are going to do something usually productive and motivated sounding like take up a certain hobby or making a resolution about something but then never following through. Sometimes they are hoping you will forget and just never bring it up again, and I usually don't because actions speak louder than words and I want to see them follow through with their dreams and goals. I'll still give words of encouragement, but I am not expecting results in the near future. Someday, guys, someday :unsmith:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If I use canadian spelling, which I’ve been writing in for years for school and work, I’m being a poser.

If I use american spelling, which I grew up with, I’m being a poser.

loving pick one fuckers, you’re practically the same lovely genocide land anyway and no, health care doesn’t change it!!

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I use “canadian” spelling and people do get weirdly pissy about it.

I live in the US, but right on the border. My Sesame Street was delivered by antenna and had the segments with the otter, polar bear, and kickass lady pilot, goddamnit. This isn’t my fault.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I went to the supermarket to get some groceries this morning. It was only when I got home and was unpacking my things that I realised I'd managed to pick up a wrong item by mistake. This is not the first time I have done this and it's always very annoying when it happens.

I rush too much when I do my shopping because I always want to get out before the place gets too busy.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

When people have pointless rules for when they do not do things, such as not eating ice cream in winter. However, to expand upon that, there is always always one person who can only listen to a vague category of music such as "Cool", "Chill", "Heavy" etc. because they listen to all kinds of music, but do not feel like listening to other categories right now. But do not be mistaken, it is just another excuse so they can listen to their own playlist and never even try any of your suggestions. In fact that is probably my biggest pet peeve, never trying anything new that people suggest. Its boring and selfish, don't be boring and selfish.

Midig has a new favorite as of 14:19 on Jan 20, 2019

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

People who can't think in terms of cardinal directions and who can only take directions in terms of landmarks and never learn the actual geography of whatever place they live in.

Midig posted:

When people have pointless rules for when they do not do things, such as not eating ice cream in winter. However, to expand upon that, there is always always one person who can only listen to a vague category of music such as "Cool", "Chill", "Heavy" etc. because they listen to all kinds of music, but do not feel like listening to other categories right now. But do not be mistaken, it is just another excuse so they can listen to their own playlist and never even try any of your suggestions. In fact that is probably my biggest pet peeve, never trying anything new that people suggest. Its boring and selfish, don't be boring and selfish.

Yeah like "i could never eat rice for breakfast!" or people who are anal about dinner times. It's especially bad where I'm from where people basically give you disapproving glares if you don't eat your dinner at 6:30 and feel like they're allowed to interrupt your dinner with unannounced visits if it's not at "the" time.

Also, conservative eaters.

Shibawanko has a new favorite as of 16:30 on Jan 20, 2019

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I am terrible with directions. Even though I've looked it up so many times I still mix up which direction the sun rises/sets in and without looking at a map I couldn't tell you which direction a road runs (except for obvious ones like interstates but that's because I know where I'm headed on it). I've tried working on it and I'll probably regret not trying harder at some point in life, but with google maps it's just like :shrug:

sorry shibawanko

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shibawanko posted:

People who can't think in terms of cardinal directions and who can only take directions in terms of landmarks and never learn the actual geography of whatever place they live in.
Not understanding cardinal directions is so incomprehensible to me. Like, I'm bad at remembering streets, but I can get around pretty easily by knowing where the place I'm going is (relative to where I am) and just following roads that go that way.

But I'll have conversations with my sisters where they're trying to tell me where something is and I'll be like "what direction is it?" "Don't know." "Well, the CBD's east of here and the ocean's south. Does that help?" "No."

What direction is it? How can you not know? How do you get anywhere?

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If I use canadian spelling, which I’ve been writing in for years for school and work, I’m being a poser.

Don't you mean 'a poseur'

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

What direction is it? How can you not know? How do you get anywhere?

I don't know, but back before smartphones I would regularly get lost if I had to go anywhere besides work/class and the publix and I had lived in that neighborhood for close to a decade. It's hard to explain to people but it takes frequent repetition to get any route to stick, and it's purely based on "muscle" memory rather than knowing the steps "first i go west then north..." etc. I'm the same way with names, there are people I work with and see every day but since I don't use/see their name regularly (i.e. on emails etc), I lose it not long after being introduced to them.

e: vvv see, if you had asked me to guess I would have said it rises in the west

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 17:16 on Jan 20, 2019

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Even though I've looked it up so many times I still mix up which direction the sun rises/sets in

I can't remember this either for some reason (and it comes up a lot, because I do landscape photography) until I sing that song from that Disney movie

Sincere as the sun
Rising in the east
Tale as old as time
Song as old as rhyme
Beauty and the you get the idea

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Wheat Loaf posted:

I went to the supermarket to get some groceries this morning. It was only when I got home and was unpacking my things that I realised I'd managed to pick up a wrong item by mistake. This is not the first time I have done this and it's always very annoying when it happens.

I rush too much when I do my shopping because I always want to get out before the place gets too busy.

I rush during shopping because grocery stores are Mecca for pet peeves.

Please excuse me while I stop dead in my tracks in the middle of a crowded walkway, then park my cart parallel to another idiots cart so we block the aisle and half the shelving, and take minutes pondering which brand of canned black beans to get. Now I’ll just scream at my crying toddler and angrily condescend to my wife while I wait with my 30 items in the express lane.

E: also being a passenger in people like rear end’ car drives me bonkers.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 17:55 on Jan 20, 2019

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, people trying to take a trolley loaded up with a month's worth of groceries through the self-service checkouts which (at least at the one I go to) are not designed to accommodate them is something I've mentioned before. It's a bit annoying.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My grocery store peeve that is growing in magnitude is the crowding of walkways with displays. I know they do it on purpose, and that for fucks sake it even works because psychology is broken, but if I can't get through because a decorative wooden crate stacked with salami is blocking me, I'm going to get agitated not curious. I've never once been like "ooh parmesan crisps well that makes up for standing over a minute in a scrum behind someone agonizing over salsa choices"

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Brawnfire posted:

My grocery store peeve that is growing in magnitude is the crowding of walkways with displays. I know they do it on purpose, and that for fucks sake it even works because psychology is broken, but if I can't get through because a decorative wooden crate stacked with salami is blocking me, I'm going to get agitated not curious. I've never once been like "ooh parmesan crisps well that makes up for standing over a minute in a scrum behind someone agonizing over salsa choices"

If it helps, the employees probably hate them as much as you do. The store where I work, when new displays come in, our reactions are either "Where the gently caress are we going to put this one?" or "Why the gently caress did we get another one of these pieces of poo poo?"

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I know the layout of my town well enough that I could probably draw a pretty accurate map of it from memory, but cardinal directions still mean nothing to me when I'm out trying to get somewhere because I don't walk around carrying a compass. Saying "turn east" has no value if I have no way of knowing if I'm currently facing north or south. I have to visualize my start and end points then work through the route in my head as a series of left/right turns.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I know the layout of my town well enough that I could probably draw a pretty accurate map of it from memory, but cardinal directions still mean nothing to me when I'm out trying to get somewhere because I don't walk around carrying a compass. Saying "turn east" has no value if I have no way of knowing if I'm currently facing north or south. I have to work through the route in my head as a series of left/right turns.

I don’t get this. If you know the layout of your town then... you know where things are relative to each other?

Like would you be standing in Brooklyn going “Manhattan is WEST? Long Island is EAST?? What does that mean?”

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I know where things are relative to each other, but cardinal directions don't enter into it at all. If you told me you were at a certain restaurant and wanted to know how to get to the nearest bar I could tell you what streets to follow and exactly where to turn off from each one, but I couldn't tell if one was north or east or whatever of the other one.

Ever play an old computer RPG where the game is played from a first person perspective and you made maps on graph paper? It's like that, but mentally. As for how I get to a place I haven't been to before, I pretty much can't. Driving to a different town is impossible for me until I've seen someone else do it.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

Ashamed to admit I used to watch a lot of anti-SJW stuff and it comes back to haunt me at least once every other week. I do not want to look through my "likes" history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STl7-_f4_eA

Midig has a new favorite as of 19:04 on Jan 20, 2019

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

North is up

South is down

Going downtown? Go south.

Going uptown? Go north.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Semi-related to driving directions peeve: if you are a passenger giving me directions somewhere, at least give me a couple miles before telling me I need to switch lanes in heavy traffic, not a block. Less relevant in the era of everyone just using their phone gps, but those don't tell you what lane to be in (usually), so if I ask don't say "oh don't worry it's not for a couple miles". I know, that's why I want to get over so I have time to do it without cutting someone off or missing the turn entirely.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

I know where things are relative to each other, but cardinal directions don't enter into it at all. If you told me you were at a certain restaurant and wanted to know how to get to the nearest bar I could tell you what streets to follow and exactly where to turn off from each one, but I couldn't tell if one was north or east or whatever of the other one.
Use the sun/moon position as a rough compass.

You’re a fuckin canary ferchrissakes, you should know this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I know the layout of my town well enough that I could probably draw a pretty accurate map of it from memory, but cardinal directions still mean nothing to me when I'm out trying to get somewhere because I don't walk around carrying a compass. Saying "turn east" has no value if I have no way of knowing if I'm currently facing north or south. I have to visualize my start and end points then work through the route in my head as a series of left/right turns.

I guess I also just use the position of the sun, if it's morning I know that it'll be roughly in the east, south at midday, west in the afternoon, combined with knowing other stuff makes it really easy to find out where I am. It's just so useful since it makes knowing the exact layout of streets mostly unnecessary in most places. Like when I walk through Tokyo, I might not know the exact layout of the winding little roads within a city block, but I'll know that there'll be a big road to the north of me running west-east and that if I go north, I will eventually hit it and will let me go to other places.

It's really dumb to me when I find a city map on the street somewhere, but it's not oriented north (instead it's usually oriented towards wherever the map is facing, ugh).

This may be something people from the countryside do more though. The ones who use the landmark method usually seem to be city people.