Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!

Danaru posted:

:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 34 - Oh gently caress It's Orb

I usually have plasma before Orb Hour starts, but again this is the first time I've played on this difficulty

That is a rough mission to throw at you. I definitely think it would have been possible, were you playing flawlessly, to have plasma by now, but I'm not sure if that would have actually helped you on this mission. There was still a lot of enemy health to carve through between you and that stun lancer.

That said I haven't seen a lot of playthroughs of this game where things go so wrong and the LPer claws their way back through sheer grit and drunken determination, so it's been a lot more interesting than the tutorial-like "this is how you play flawlessly" kind of run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
We MIGHT have had enough force to pull it out if we had brought Jane/Betty/Luca, and even then only if Luca got real lucky and dominated either the orb or the andromedon. One mistake and we could have gotten a Code Black and lost our best dudes though, if it were just about any other objective it would have been winnable :cripes:

Also we're gonna be playing some more tonight and here's a slight spoiler, the dark event the data tap would have prevented happened the SECOND we were back on the geoscape. gently caress Advent.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
While watching, I was thinking, If I really had to win this mission, I'd try to push the survivable drone man down the side of the map far enough, so he could tag the enemies attacking the objective. Enemy groups tend to run after you instead of objectives, if you take a shot at them. That'd get you way more attention that you'd ever want, but it'd be a line with a possible victory. Or a squad wipe!

That being said, getting away with a total alien wipe without deaths was a good result here. XP gained! A Codex, a Stun Lancer and an Oculus Rift is a horrible combination that could easily get a kill, even against a bigger XCOM team. I don't think that the dark event isn't that big of a deal if you save up and send the real heroes on the missions that matter.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Episode 33: There was a Persona 3 villain who looked like Jesus, right down to having a thin headband mimicking the crown of thorns. He was a "normal" person (he had a Persona) and not the final boss, though.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Makrond posted:

That said I haven't seen a lot of playthroughs of this game where things go so wrong and the LPer claws their way back through sheer grit and drunken determination

Dan and Grace fought Dokapon Kingdom and emerged victorious. ADVENT cannot stop them, Orb or no Orb.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/HetzerGonnaHetz/status/1084300557995651072

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Did a shield-dude stack shields? What the hell.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I love the raised eyebrow

"Really? Commander are you seeing this nonsense?"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 35 - On The Footsteps Of Jesus

https://twitter.com/HetzerGonnaHetz/status/1079591872337715200

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Where's the panda photo?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Wiseblood posted:

Where's the panda photo?

+1

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
We recorded that episode like two weeks ago I'll need a timestamp or something

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Danaru posted:

19:20

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Danaru posted:

I mean, do you really need specific justification to post panda photos?

Grace
Dec 18, 2015

C'MON SOMETHING AWFUL LETS GET SICK'NIIIIIING
Ey its raja

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

So, I actually got the same bug as you recently. What I realized is that the scripting for quite a few countdown-type things is based on losing concealment. Since you now have High Alert, and don't get concealment, you can't lose concealment, so the event that causes ADVENT to start removing crates never occurs, so no boxes are ever extracted.

Edit: lol, Cam concealing and getting revealed started it

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 16, 2019

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 36 - I'm So Friggen Intelligent

I was gonna sit on this for a bit but I updated both the Mario Party and Metal Gear threads so I might as well hit the hat trick

Also I made the game audio a bit too loud this session, I'm sorry :(

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Traditional oyster stouts definitely use actual oysters in the fermentation process, it gives the beer its unique taste! Some brands use artificial flavors these days. I hope you bought lots so you can keep on enjoying your gourmet seafood brew, and oh, I also hope you're not allergic to molluscs

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I have never understood the attraction of drinking a beer that's supposed to have had raw shellfish steeped in it

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm not a fan of seafood or beer so my opinion of it probably isn't the best one to follow :v:

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 37 - He Could Use A Win

Grace gets a drink this episode too! Meaning his commentary becomes completely incoherent

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Have you considered a nice oktoberfest style lager or maybe a filtered wheat beer? I'm sure Jesus and pandas would both enjoy a cool refreshing maerzen or kristallweizen.

Game chat, what's our strategy? I haven't actually played XCOM so don't really know what we should be doing, and the game seems to be throwing a ton of long term objectives at us (kill the chosen, make contact with people, blow up avatar facilities, research special stuff.) Does WOTC have some kind of unstoppable difficulty ramp-up/doomsday effect or can we theoretically just keep sending people on guerilla ops/blow up facilities to permanently stall the avatar project until we're good and ready?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
We have to run the vial of goop we've been hanging on to for months and the codex brain through the Shadow Chamber, which I haven't been doing since I thought we were wicked behind on technology and you cant use the Lab and the Shadow Chamber at the same time. Once we do that the story itself will start progressing :v:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Grace seriously how are you this lightweight? That was ONE DRINK and you're already super drunk.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

Game chat, what's our strategy? I haven't actually played XCOM so don't really know what we should be doing, and the game seems to be throwing a ton of long term objectives at us (kill the chosen, make contact with people, blow up avatar facilities, research special stuff.) Does WOTC have some kind of unstoppable difficulty ramp-up/doomsday effect or can we theoretically just keep sending people on guerilla ops/blow up facilities to permanently stall the avatar project until we're good and ready?

In WOTC it's viable to stall the plot for a long-rear end time, with a little luck. The Avatar Project is the only "doomsday effect," and there are lots of ways to knock it down if the game is willing to let you have any of them. It's not unusual for experienced players to put off doing any of the story beats until they're at the top of the tech tree.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

For example, if they chose to do both of the "reduce avatar project" operations this month I'm pretty sure the lp would knock avatar progress all the way back to 1.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 38 - Peer Review

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Templars just can't stand to see you drink bad beer, I guess.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I told you man.

I TOLD you about sectopods!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

My theory is they're just sending you the ones they don't actually like

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I think Dan's a weirdo
(Look what you've done Grace)

e:I don't know what was funnier, the surprise sectopod ending ANOTHER templar or the fact that Shen was all "Cooperating with the resistance forces is great! Those guys sure are handy!" right afterwards

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 26, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
God Grace is the best.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

Mikl posted:

How did they get that sectopod into the sewer anyway? It's huge, there's no way it's going to fit into normal-sized holes.

I was doing a mission in the suburbs and I triggered a sectopod in a house. It tore up through the second floor and then smashed its way out of the house to start attacking.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 39 - Probably Made Some Mistakes

I... genuinely dont remember recording this episode. You guys gotta understand what Vicar's Cross combined with extreme stress DOES to a human.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

lol, Rebecca fuckin chose to die. That was easy poo poo and she blew it for you.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Danaru posted:

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 39 - Probably Made Some Mistakes

I... genuinely dont remember recording this episode. You guys gotta understand what Vicar's Cross combined with extreme stress DOES to a human.

"Well tonight hasn't been so bad!"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The moment of silence when that hack failed :allears:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 40 - Welcome To The Union

This is probably the dumbest mission we've seen in a while. For both sides.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

As soon as you crafted the Icarus armor at the beginning, I said to myself "Dan is going to forget to equip it on anyone."

And then Dan didn't equip the Icarus armor on anyone.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
Between this LP and the Steam sale I think I'll finally have to get the DLC. I'll go lighter on the drinking though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
I picked WOTC up and after a couple visits to the ship, all of the lights on the ship turn off and stay that way until I start the game back up. How am I supposed to make my troops look as dumb as hell as possible?