Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Why would I do any of that, when I can... convince my dwarven allies to fight in melee against the swarm that just landed and... uh... direct danger close fire support from a railgun....

Look, if the choice is between killing bugs and keeping dwarves alive, I'm going with option one.

Edit: Test 2 - The Screams of the Elephant Men. It is a bad idea to ride in on boomalopes.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

so i've played through i don't know how many colonies so far, but never really stuck with one for more than a year, because i constantly feel frustrated with how i've decided to build my base. i'm super picky about layout, and want to try to make it look as nice as possible, and then inevitably i realize i've goofed in some way and gotta restart to save my sanity.

does anyone have tips for different layouts? i've got a bunch of mods like Dubs Bad Hygiene and Realistic Rooms, but just some general design tips or basic floor plans would be super useful.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

Make a mod that allows you to launch corpses out of mortars and/or catapults and use the bugs as ammo.

Bonus points if mortar launched bodies dissesemble on launch for a shotgun effect.

Also uh, maybe moral penalties for doing that.

I'd love this and a snark gun would be hilarious. Apparently they had a kind of fear thing early on in the game and it was broken as all hell iirc. A boonies area where all my psychos mince around in human skin at night is now a staple of every playthrough though, can't trust those bastards but they're handy. I keep them from hanging out with the colony proper and building connections or starting fights normally by giving them night shifts and later on their own territory. Psychoville pawns love the jobs you hate! A mod where your actions give your colony a rep would be awesome though, I love diplomatic stuff and it'd add great depth to balancing with raiders thinking you're an easy target because you're mostly non lethal in raids or say small tribes not wanting to ally with the "good guys" next door who eat trespassers.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Syndlig posted:

so i've played through i don't know how many colonies so far, but never really stuck with one for more than a year, because i constantly feel frustrated with how i've decided to build my base. i'm super picky about layout, and want to try to make it look as nice as possible, and then inevitably i realize i've goofed in some way and gotta restart to save my sanity.

does anyone have tips for different layouts? i've got a bunch of mods like Dubs Bad Hygiene and Realistic Rooms, but just some general design tips or basic floor plans would be super useful.

Get over your fear of res-design. Just think you're doing some house flipping.

tbf I've ditched colonies too where I did something dumb and deconstructing it and building something knew was just too much

But with the current play through, I've made sure to force myself into re-design and I'm better for it.

In my base a few posts back current Rec Room (covered in cream wool carpeting), used to be three rooms: hospital, barracks, and a bathroom. The guest room used to be part of the bathroom. The Art Room (kibble storage?) used to be research and cooking, as well as the first building built (initial barracks). I haven't gotten around to taking it down fully yet. I've gone through 3 defensive walls (2nd is still visible, 1st is long gone).

But for me, I decide on a focal point then consider what things should go near it first. You can also consider where colonists will spend the most of their time.

Since rooms are only for sleeping and occasional praying/meditating, they don't need to be in the middle of things. I tend to make my rec/dining room be the focal point, which then means that guest quarters, bathroom, and kitchen should be nearby. As it's the focal point, I build a few shelves to hold weapons and armor for ease of access. After that, I designate a huge area for storage and build crafting rooms around it. I prefer to build hospitals and prison barracks near the defensive areas, as that's where it's needed (I used to build it deep underground to be hidden/safe, that just made saving wounded colonists harder).

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I highly recommend using the more planning colors mod for base planning, especially if you want to redesign.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

HelloSailorSign posted:

tbf I've ditched colonies too where I did something dumb and deconstructing it and building something knew was just too much

But with the current play through, I've made sure to force myself into re-design and I'm better for it.

In my base a few posts back current Rec Room (covered in cream wool carpeting), used to be three rooms: hospital, barracks, and a bathroom. The guest room used to be part of the bathroom. The Art Room (kibble storage?) used to be research and cooking, as well as the first building built (initial barracks). I haven't gotten around to taking it down fully yet. I've gone through 3 defensive walls (2nd is still visible, 1st is long gone).

But for me, I decide on a focal point then consider what things should go near it first. You can also consider where colonists will spend the most of their time.

Since rooms are only for sleeping and occasional praying/meditating, they don't need to be in the middle of things. I tend to make my rec/dining room be the focal point, which then means that guest quarters, bathroom, and kitchen should be nearby. As it's the focal point, I build a few shelves to hold weapons and armor for ease of access. After that, I designate a huge area for storage and build crafting rooms around it. I prefer to build hospitals and prison barracks near the defensive areas, as that's where it's needed (I used to build it deep underground to be hidden/safe, that just made saving wounded colonists harder).

this is really helpful, thanks! i saw your base, and was wondering if you used any mods that made the mountain look that way? in nearly every "mountainous" map i've played on i've ended up having a nearly flat dwarf fortress-style mountain with a couple big spots of stone scattered around, but that big internal valley looks really cool and i'd love to build in something like that.

isndl posted:

I highly recommend using the more planning colors mod for base planning, especially if you want to redesign.

i've used that mod, and it's pretty cool! i removed it to cut back on the amount of menus but i've been regretting it

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

HelloSailorSign posted:

This...

isndl posted:

And this are the right answers. I literally just got done redesigning my workshop to better accommodate crafting, and along with this I'm redesigning my storage areas so that there's some sense to it, rather than "throw everything in an empty room. At some point, I'll be looking into a redesign of the oil refinery to condense it down, and an entire rewire of my base into separate power grids in case I have to switch to backup power.

Essentially, once you are at the point where you have the luxury of worrying about design choices, just loving remodel the kitchen.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I need to get more doomsday rocket launchers.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Syndlig posted:

this is really helpful, thanks! i saw your base, and was wondering if you used any mods that made the mountain look that way? in nearly every "mountainous" map i've played on i've ended up having a nearly flat dwarf fortress-style mountain with a couple big spots of stone scattered around, but that big internal valley looks really cool and i'd love to build in something like that.

i've used that mod, and it's pretty cool! i removed it to cut back on the amount of menus but i've been regretting it

I think the only mods I've got that changes terrain is the "configurable maps" mod (I think I upped the % generation of rock on mountain by a tad), and Nature's Pretty Sweet. Honestly, lucking out on that valley was, well, super lucky. A lot of maps I've done have had relatively flat mountains too. Like I mentioned earlier, I turned off fog to look and this map has a few thin isthmuses of rock that block sight of other connecting open areas that would ruin the single entrance valley, so I simply lucked out on those.

One of the other things I do in design is try to put a small eating area near heavy pawn work areas. I don't want pawns eating without a table or running a long way to find a table, so my hospital, research lab, and crafting areas tend to have a small area with 3 chairs to eat off so the crafters don't go far.

To ensure that everyone actually interacts with each other and uses the big rec room more regularly and be more efficient, I designate 3 hours in the AM and 3 in the PM for recreational time in their restrict menus.

And for base design, I've just looked at what people post here and think, "why did they put that there" and integrate what makes sense.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

HelloSailorSign posted:

I'm surprised someone hasn't done a point defense turret mod or something.

RimAtomics has a point defense weapon I haven't researched yet. I thought it was just for mortars, but I don't run into a lot of rockets...could work too.

Syndlig posted:

I'm a 'creative type' so ymmv but I have the most fun using a loose set of rules (like others have described already) and going crazy with whatever fits around that.

The obvious efficiency stuff:

-fridge near kitchen, butcher table in separate room from stoves
-central rec/dining room near kitchen
-bedrooms roughly equidistant from rec/dining room
-main storage near crafting

Some points you may not have thought of:

-two or three-tile wide main hallways are not only better for base defense, they also are easier for lots of pawns to move through
-interior doors can be used extensively for defensive purposes, but kept open for peacetime traffic flow before you upgrade to autodoors
-enemies that drop into your courtyards can sometimes be funneled into your killbox, or else split up and dealt with half at a time:
-place a few scattered turrets for coverage of your interior courtyards, this can give you the time to set up a kiting or defensive strategy
-have side doors on your killbox for flanking, kiting, and chasing down fleeing enemies

My current mountain forever-home is going pretty strong with this defence-heavy strategy. I've researched everything, have a constant reserve of at least 15k silver, and am working on finding out what the highest beauty value for a room is. Rimatomics is what keeps me going, but once I've finished replacing every injured limb with bionics, have a fully-automated base, and finish researching all the nuclear options, I'm seriously contemplating letting the robots have this mountain.

I'm playing with Save our Ship, so I could keep playing with some of my cyborg colonists on a new map, and keep running the old one until a wanderer comes along, or my robo-friends meet their inevitable demise.

Fall 5506

In a sharp turn from recent thread events, I play with no infestations.

Also, Nature's Pretty Sweet makes for major frame loss in fall and spring when all the water on this map is freezing/melting.

Herb Dington fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 19, 2019

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I got a legendary furniture for the first time I can remember today :stare: sure we're still using feces based electricity and the only light in the base by where I was building poo poo, but we have a REALLY nice bed

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I remember a crash landing mod start where the only thing I could salvage from the flames was a legendary nanomachinery large statue, something like 8k beauty.

My people lived like cannibals in a cave, but it was like that SG episode The Light. They could suffer any indignity in their rock floored and walled all in one room, and even though they slept on the ground the stats from the statue gave them extremely impressive room modifiers for everything.

They just had to Stay Near The Light.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Danaru posted:

I got a legendary furniture for the first time I can remember today :stare: sure we're still using feces based electricity and the only light in the base by where I was building poo poo, but we have a REALLY nice bed

I've posted about it upthread, but it reminds me of my first ever save when by some ridiculous RNG blessing, one of my first bits of furniture was a masterwork dining chair. Due to me not being familiar with the game, my colonists lived a harsh existence with many setbacks, so for most of that save the number one leisure activity was looking at The Chair.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Danaru posted:

feces based electricity

New thread title?

Walton Simons posted:

I've posted about it upthread, but it reminds me of my first ever save when by some ridiculous RNG blessing, one of my first bits of furniture was a masterwork dining chair. Due to me not being familiar with the game, my colonists lived a harsh existence with many setbacks, so for most of that save the number one leisure activity was looking at The Chair.

Hahahaha. Well something has to keep you going

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

McGiggins posted:

I remember a crash landing mod start where the only thing I could salvage from the flames was a legendary nanomachinery large statue, something like 8k beauty.

My people lived like cannibals in a cave, but it was like that SG episode The Light. They could suffer any indignity in their rock floored and walled all in one room, and even though they slept on the ground the stats from the statue gave them extremely impressive room modifiers for everything.

They just had to Stay Near The Light.

Walton Simons posted:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Holy poo poo there's a dual wield mod.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Ya Imma try that now.

Simple side arms compatible!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I don't know what mod I have is loving it up, but there's some sort of batshit interaction with the Run & Gun mod where, if I have it activated, even if I turn off the ability to let NPCs use it, every animal in the game gets 0 cooldown on their attacks.

I shoot a deer, it aggros, and instead of one headbutt before I put it down, it just gives me the Raging Demon and my pawn is bleeding out on the floor from 9 wounds.

The first time I had it on, I had a Black Hive attack event spawn (Alpha Animals), so I had a megascarab doing the Killer Rabbit from Monty Python on some guys, and a spider-thing with a venom spit attack basically gatling-super-soakered a fortified gunline to death.

It's hilarious, but also :iit:. I wish I could actually use that mod.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I am learning about debugging the hard way after I ran into a problem where a locked doors mod is causing me to not be able to pick up certain objects and my parents don't start their activities script. What's strange is I've been using the locked doors mod for a while and didn't add anything that affects doors before it broke.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I needed to test out an upgrade for my railguns, and while I could just shoot at rocks, it is much more fun to hunt elephants with relativistic artillery.

The test was a categorical success, by the way.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 19, 2019

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
What mod are the railguns from?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Various, but that's rimatomics I think.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Archenteron posted:

I don't know what mod I have is loving it up, but there's some sort of batshit interaction with the Run & Gun mod where, if I have it activated, even if I turn off the ability to let NPCs use it, every animal in the game gets 0 cooldown on their attacks.

I shoot a deer, it aggros, and instead of one headbutt before I put it down, it just gives me the Raging Demon and my pawn is bleeding out on the floor from 9 wounds.

The first time I had it on, I had a Black Hive attack event spawn (Alpha Animals), so I had a megascarab doing the Killer Rabbit from Monty Python on some guys, and a spider-thing with a venom spit attack basically gatling-super-soakered a fortified gunline to death.

YATATATATATATATATATA

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

oops wrong thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3879993&pagenumber=1#lastpost

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Well that was fun. I finished my first game where I went after the Hidden Ship instead of building my own. I opted to bunnyhop with pod launchers rather than walk, which was fun. Made the first 2 jumps, stopped and built a camp for a few days to make more fuel, then ended up building another full-fledged settlement after that 3rd jump for the power-up time (~22 days total).

I kinda thought the ship would be ready to go when I got there. Building another base just to wait while the raids roll in wasn't really all that fun.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Is there a fix for pawns not sowing due to 'bad seasonal temperature'? It's now growing season and they won't sow due to this, which is annoying since I've been able to grow crops throughout winter, just more slowly.

e: It fixed itself, even though it's colder now :psyduck:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Archenteron posted:

Somehow, I think I might be seeing a similar thing in my game. I was watching a pawn put out fires and and she was knocking them down in a second from full size. I don't think I have anything that should be affecting firefighting. Once I get loaded in, I'll see if any of my other pawns are showing something similar. I'll try something easy, like a squirrel.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

Archenteron posted:

looks like roolo rolled out a fix for this last night!

quote:

roolo [author] 10 hours ago
Update:
v1.1.2
- Fixed non-weapon cooldown being broken by the previous update. (which made it possible that colonists beat out fire instantly, or raiders instantly destroying buildings).

The problem was negated if you have the new Dual Wield mod installed, that's why I missed it in the first place. Thanks guys for reporting it so quickly, you've saved a lot of frustration for other people :)

honestly i find myself installing basically every single one of roolo's mods. giddy-up!, search and destroy, runandgun, what the hack?! are all really loving legit, and dual wield just makes things more hilariously awesome now that i can give my pawns an smg and a melee weapon.

surfacelevelspeck fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 19, 2019

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Borien is jealous of Gaambvasba's bedroom. Borien has a comfortable bed, statues, plants, and a hubby to sleep with. Gaam... has a sleeping bag next to fermenting barrels in the most heavily trafficked part of the facility.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Easy fix, swap them around.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I mean it is a fox in a henhouse :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Warmachine posted:

Borien is jealous of Gaambvasba's bedroom. Borien has a comfortable bed, statues, plants, and a hubby to sleep with. Gaam... has a sleeping bag next to fermenting barrels in the most heavily trafficked part of the facility.

The dozens of hens funneling about is funny enough, but the statue of the hen also in frame adds a whole new layer.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Syndlig posted:

looks like roolo rolled out a fix for this last night!

honestly i find myself installing basically every single one of roolo's mods. giddy-up!, search and destroy, runandgun, what the hack?! are all really loving legit, and dual wield just makes things more hilariously awesome now that i can give my pawns an smg and a melee weapon.

Would you recommend Dual-Wield over Sidearms?

Also :toot:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Archenteron posted:

Would you recommend Dual-Wield over Sidearms?

Also :toot:

Good news, you don't have to choose. They're compatible.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Danaru posted:

The dozens of hens funneling about is funny enough, but the statue of the hen also in frame adds a whole new layer.

The story behind this is that I was trying to get all of the chickens into a caravan to move off-map to graze, since I'd run out of food in my barn, and didn't want them strip mining all the plants on the map. Turns out, when you go to form a caravan, the critters suddenly get "Unrestricted" as their zone. And second, your pawns have to go and collect each one. All 120 of them. Who have now run off in different direction and are thus strip mining your crop fields and kitchen.

I dev'd that bullshit quick.

e: Content

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 20, 2019

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Nalesh posted:

Good news, you don't have to choose. They're compatible.

But... my load times. :shepface:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

isndl posted:

But... my load times. :shepface:

Hah... load times... just go make a sandwich or socialize with your roommates.

e: Peace through superior firepower.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 20, 2019

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Speaking of infestations, 32 hives popped up last night in research lab, tomb area, top barracks, and one bedroom. Luckily it was at transition time between day and night shift, so most everyone was off in rec rooms.

Things were doing well - other than a wrecked barracks and research lab - when the one bench remaining attracted a researcher I had not mustered for the fight and he tries to wander into the room to research while there’s a pile of insects trying to rush the door being held by his fellow colonists.

As he pushes the mace wielding power armor brick wall out of the way I see this and draft him, sending him out to the hall.

I did not see he had a grenade launcher.

He killed three colonists - 2 cooks and a hunter - yet missed the spelopede. He was a recent recruit and the hunter was staggeringly ugly, so he got +11 mood from offing his rivals.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I think someone just tantrumed and blew a stack if antigrain warheads, which also blew up my boomalopes that were nearby.

Im not super positive because there is just a huge chunk missing from my base and the body is gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Are load times dramatically improved by putting the game on a solid state, or is it more of a game engine bottleneck?