Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

drunkill posted:

High. Even just static build up would do it, a lot of plastic containers there.

Anyway...

Lmao, load-bearing zipties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

spinderella posted:

I stopped watching.
It turns out I do not want to know how long people can run while on fire irl.

:(

the video cuts from the people collecting gas to later that night while it's on fire, you don't get to see the part where it goes off, no worry.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

LifeSunDeath posted:

the video cuts from the people collecting gas to later that night while it's on fire, you don't get to see the part where it goes off, no worry.

I'm sure that part will be on Liveleak soon

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

FuturePastNow posted:

Video has already been posted in this thread and removed.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

FuturePastNow posted:

It's already up on there, which is why I was surprised that it was allowed to go on for so long. You'd think the area would at least be cordoned off, since I'm guessing that shutting off something like that is more involved than turning a valve. The footage starts in nightvision mode, but the brightness of the explosion kicks the camera into daytime mode.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jobson groeth posted:

This thread or schad?

Larch
Dec 20, 2004

BEE LOVER

Coxswain Balls posted:

I'm more shocked that it looks like the rupture went on for hours as people were collecting fuel. The full video is made up of two clips, the first one while the sun is still up and everyone is having a good ol' fuel collection party, and the actual explosion appears to be well after sundown.

When the news described it as an illegal tap, I was expecting like a makeshift spigot or something, not a geyser of gasoline which is effectively a fuel-air bomb in the making.

On the other hand it could be that the pipe just ruptured at a joint and locals took advantage as you would.

You can't just drill a hole in a pipe under pressure. I wish nerds gave a poo poo about poor people. It would be fairly easy to design a device to penetrate, seal, and provide a tap into a pipe under pressure.

Eat the rich.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Coxswain Balls posted:

I'm more shocked that it looks like the rupture went on for hours as people were collecting fuel. The full video is made up of two clips, the first one while the sun is still up and everyone is having a good ol' fuel collection party, and the actual explosion appears to be well after sundown.

When the news described it as an illegal tap, I was expecting like a makeshift spigot or something, not a geyser of gasoline which is effectively a fuel-air bomb in the making.

This is the craziest poo poo I've ever seen

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

drunkill posted:

High. Even just static build up would do it, a lot of plastic containers there.

Anyway...

Based on pictures you see of African tanker spills and theft, smoking is about 100% guaranteed. Granted in that case it isn't vaporized into an air fuel bomb

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

LifeSunDeath posted:

I did
On Reddit
Like I said
I stopped watching them run

Ghastly

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Larch posted:

On the other hand it could be that the pipe just ruptured at a joint and locals took advantage as you would.

I absolutely assure you that I would not. If I saw/smelled that I would be running as fast as I could in the opposite direction.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Coxswain Balls posted:

I absolutely assure you that I would not. If I saw/smelled that I would be running as fast as I could in the opposite direction.

sorry not all of us can have the butler take the rolls to the gas station while we're in bed.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive posted:

This thread or schad?

Schad, my bad.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Larch posted:

You can't just drill a hole in a pipe under pressure. I wish nerds gave a poo poo about poor people. It would be fairly easy to design a device to penetrate, seal, and provide a tap into a pipe under pressure.

Eat the rich.

having not thought through the mechanics at all, ive wondered why "ecoterrorists" dont target pipelines to inject substances that either render larger parts of pipelines inoperable or contaminate large quantities of fuel and processing equipment

i mean activists willing to use destructive measures, assuming they still exist after the crackdown in the 90s, not someone turning a valve: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pipeline-environmentalist-terrorism_us_5a85c2ede4b0058d55672250

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spinderella posted:

I did
On Reddit
Like I said
I stopped watching them run

Ghastly

yea at one point the camera goes out of focus and you see all the little bokeh points bouncing around and you think each one is individual people, but some people running close up were burning from 2+ places their arms and legs and head individually. Just a hundred flaming people running through a field :stare: absolutely insane

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Breakfast All Day posted:

having not thought through the mechanics at all, ive wondered why "ecoterrorists" dont target pipelines to inject substances that either render larger parts of pipelines inoperable or contaminate large quantities of fuel and processing equipment

i mean activists willing to use destructive measures, assuming they still exist after the crackdown in the 90s, not someone turning a valve: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pipeline-environmentalist-terrorism_us_5a85c2ede4b0058d55672250

use their own poo poo against them, inject the red diesel dye into the regular stream, no more fuel taxes

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Breakfast All Day posted:

Where are you going to get something like that in the sort of quantity needed though? There is a lot of fuel moving through those pipes so to get something in that is going to damage the supply line bad enough that they don't just ignore it is a logistical challenge in its own right.

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Larch posted:

Eat the rich.

I manage a pipeline and I'm very glad that I don't have to worry about the locals trying to drill into my poo poo.

Hot taps are pretty common but I still get a little nervous each time. Not like anything could go wrong...:gas:

They will likely use something like this to repair the ruptured line afterwards.

I couldn't finish the cursed video. Absolutely horrifying.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Larch posted:

You can't just drill a hole in a pipe under pressure.

What? Of course you can.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/girlziplocked/status/1086006868298874881?s=09

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/dGqmbKg.gifv

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

More tense than a Hitchcock sequence

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

McSpanky posted:

Lmao, load-bearing zipties

I like the optimism of just one load-bearing zip-tie per hole. "That'll fix it."

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013

Heh, the steel post it's tied to isn't bolted to the concrete either.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jobson groeth posted:

That was the schadenfreude thread. A bunch of people (rightly) jumped down the posters throat. It’s a horrific video.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Who the gently caress thinks that's schadenfreude material, enjoying something like that is outright sadism

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

El_Elegante posted:

More tense than a Hitchcock sequence

and yet.... the outcome was never a surprise.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Proteus Jones posted:

That was the schadenfreude thread. A bunch of people (rightly) jumped down the posters throat. It’s a horrific video.

There's a video of an accident at a Chinese rocket launch facility which ends with everyone walking around on fire and dying. But it's in low res and compressed to hell. Even so, it's incredibly disturbing to watch.

The Mexico fire is in high def and has sound.

Put it on the list of things you never need to see.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Amazing how many people still kill themselves this way.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Megillah Gorilla posted:

There's a video of an accident at a Chinese rocket launch facility which ends with everyone walking around on fire and dying. But it's in low res and compressed to hell. Even so, it's incredibly disturbing to watch.

The sounds are worse than the visuals, imo.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

This thread is great. It's like all the best arguments for unionization, UBI, and massive industry regulation all rolled into one.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It’s a good thread but after a while it attracted the fantasists of Twitter.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I used to watch videos like these when I was in my late teens, not because I enjoyed them but because I thought I needed to "harden" myself to "the real world" in order to grow up. That was an incredibly idiotic perspective, there's nothing beneficial about watching violent death if you don't have to (like as a first responder or something, or in a historical context), especially at that age. I wish I could go back and slap some drat sense into my fool younger self.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

TTerrible posted:

It’s a good thread but after a while it attracted the fantasists of Twitter.

The what?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

It just felt like it started out as some great posts but as the thread got popular people started sending in some serious /r/thathappened level stuff. Curse of all anonymous confession things on the internet.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

TTerrible posted:

It just felt like it started out as some great posts but as the thread got popular people started sending in some serious /r/thathappened level stuff. Curse of all anonymous confession things on the internet.

? Link

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/5WchG1F.gifv

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

To the thread in general or to specific “problematic” tweets?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Calle an idiot but shouldn't this sort of thing take place in, I dunno, a building?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Memento posted:

Calle an idiot but shouldn't this sort of thing take place in, I dunno, a building?

You can't make the perfect curling stone indoors