Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The writer seems to be trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Why the gently caress does this even need to be shown

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
fabricated i feel like every other chapter you talk about how this manga needs to die why don't you just stop reading it you clearly don't like it

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

dudermcbrohan posted:

fabricated i feel like every other chapter you talk about how this manga needs to die why don't you just stop reading it you clearly don't like it
It's kinda depressing but also kinda fascinating to watch something drop off so precipitously.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

dudermcbrohan posted:

Because he used to like it, same with everyone left in the thread reading I assume.

Since Asahi is clearly there to soak up wins off of every one of Souma’s goalposts so he can get them all at once the only way I’m actually sticking it out to the end is if, against the odds Erina trashes Asahi.

What’s actually going to happen is the love interest is going to lose and be forced into marriage slavery because of course

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This series was a lot of fun but then it tried to have actual stakes too soon.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

dudermcbrohan posted:

welcome to half of ADTRW

meanwhile people still like black clover so basically nobody makes any sense here

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
While I get the sentiment of "If you don't like it, don't read it."
It comes back to Bleach for me, which was in a similar position. Reading this series on a weekly basis is not much of a time commitment. And it's not as if he's alone in his disappointment of this series, dragging others around him down. Pretty much the majority of the people posting in this topic share his feelings on it.

And for some reason, having that one lovely series you can post about every week can also be fun? I'm not sure but that's how it feels for me at least.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Patware posted:

welcome to half of ADTRW

meanwhile people still like black clover so basically nobody makes any sense here

Black Clover actually got better though. It started off generic trash and now has risen to enjoyable trash. Also it also made the main rival an anti-Sasuke, and much like in My Hero Acadamia, I respect a certified lack of Sasuke.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Gyges posted:

Black Clover actually got better though. It started off generic trash and now has risen to enjoyable trash. Also it also made the main rival an anti-Sasuke, and much like in My Hero Acadamia, I respect a certified lack of Sasuke.

what about the part where the pace has become a dead sprint not stopping to bother to establish any stakes or personality on anyone instead of just "here's a problem - we win! here's a problem - we win! everyone eat on the way to the next problem - we win!"

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Patware posted:

what about the part where the pace has become a dead sprint not stopping to bother to establish any stakes or personality on anyone instead of just "here's a problem - we win! here's a problem - we win! everyone eat on the way to the next problem - we win!"

that part is what makes it better than every other shonen running

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Don't be jealous cause the comic we like is just a nonstep express train of fun people doing fun things and you had to deal with food hitler for half your comics runtime.

It's unbecoming.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Patware posted:

Sure, it's just a mad sprint pace, but the only ones without any personality are currently possessed. Like, I'm not saying it's the greatest manga around or anything, just that it's likeable.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I liked all of the dynamics that were established before the Azami/central arc. It kinda felt like all of the stuff the series had built up to was thrown away to force in a central antagonist and have as close to actual stakes as the series could have which was a mistake.

Like, Souma himself probably wouldn't have cared entirely too much about being expelled from the school but you were invested enough in him and the rest of the cast to care. Then Azami shows up and somehow taking over this one school would somehow let him...I guess kinda destroy the restaurant industry in Japan??? This series somehow was good enough for suspension of disbelief to cover the full-body food orgasms making your clothes fly off and the Azami stuff kinda just seemed to take everyone right out of it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It honestly just genuinely blows my mind that Azami alone effectively killed this dumb manga (albeit it's a slow death, I don't think it was showing any signs of recovery even before it took a dumb turn again) and the lesson apparently learned from it was just "hmm, let's try StAkEs again"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
?

There are no stakes right now.

Souma just wants to beat dude in a cooking match. He doesn't seem to particularly care about the whole Erina thing other than him wanting to beat her/have her admit his cooking is good.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Erina and, presumably, the reader do however care if she is married of to some dude because of a lost bet.

I mean, that actually seems like higher stakes than the imagined fate of Japan's culinary world.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gyges posted:

Erina and, presumably, the reader do however care if she is married of to some dude because of a lost bet.

I mean, that actually seems like higher stakes than the imagined fate of Japan's culinary world.

Man, I remember when I thought Erina was actually going to be the rival of the series and I really bought into it. Fast forward to today and the threat of her going into some form of slavery or another have been stakes in the background for quite literally 60% of this manga.

I can't even imagine the author thinks any of this is fun anymore. We're about to go into a fight absolutely nobody wants (Tsukasa might be popular but nobody's fooled about him jobbing here and I doubt anyone who likes him wants it) so the villain nobody cares about can get built up even more as a threat.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Y'know what gently caress it I hope the next round of the tournament takes place in space

Put the finals on the surface of the sun even

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TheKingofSprings posted:

Y'know what gently caress it I hope the next round of the tournament takes place in space

That's Asahi's superpower.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Ah, the triumphant return of solar hands

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheKingofSprings posted:

Kind of spoils the ending, since obviously Soma wins by creating an iced dish on the sun using the perfected chemical reactions of peanut butter squid soaked in yogurt.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mulderman posted:

While I get the sentiment of "If you don't like it, don't read it."
It comes back to Bleach for me, which was in a similar position. Reading this series on a weekly basis is not much of a time commitment. And it's not as if he's alone in his disappointment of this series, dragging others around him down. Pretty much the majority of the people posting in this topic share his feelings on it.

And for some reason, having that one lovely series you can post about every week can also be fun? I'm not sure but that's how it feels for me at least.

Now that I think about it, there's a similarity to this in Bleach where each arc seems to be throwing in new characters almost haphazardly and then dumping them off almost as quickly. I remember Kubo said in an interview that he did that because he couldn't think of new ideas so he just did that instead and we might be in a similar situation here.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wasn't the start of Bleach's final arc received pretty well at the beginning? I quit after Fullbringers and came back sometime around Byakuya's not-death but I think I recall people liking the direction the series was going in, at least for a whiel?

Then it went back to being standard Bleach again and expectations died.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

People were excited to finally see all the poo poo hinted at but not shown yet (couple of the captain's bankais, etc) and then Ywach happened and holy what the gently caress is even going on. To this day I still don't fully understand what Urahara's bankai actually does, and I know I could look it up but gently caress that.

Also the quincies were cool at the start, but then they started actually showing their powers off. It was basically just an arms race between kids playing the imagined super powers game, except lots of black ink went into making it.

Also that one lieutenant, the one with the doubles-your-weight shikai, getting jobbed instantly is never going to not be funny.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I remember Squad Zero being really cool and then they just got swept away.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Dumb take: I got caught up with this and, while still dumb I can... kinda appreciate the silliness again?

Probably going to only check it once a month or something, though.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Some mangas just don't know when to quit giving their protagonists more powers.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
I loving love this stupid manga and all you haters can, well, be entitled to your opinions.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Electric Phantasm posted:

That's Asahi's superpower.
Actually, turns out it's Nen. Saiba was Chrollo all along!

(New chapter, if the link above wasn't obvious)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Okay so now we literally have cooking superpowers. Yeah whatever, I don't much care at this point, I'm just along for the ride until the end.

Also this chapter felt incredibly rushed, and it seems a common trend with this series lately. What is it, it's been canceled and the authors want to bring it to a conclusion anyway?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Can Of Worms posted:

Actually, turns out it's Nen. Saiba was Chrollo all along!

(New chapter, if the link above wasn't obvious)

Wow. gently caress this. Maybe if it was closer to a certain someone's ability, I'd be able to suspend disbelief better, but as it was explained, we're basically broaching into superpower territory beyond even Akira's nose for spices.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Did we even see those Dark Chefs lose?

Also this is just Subara all over again.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mikl posted:

Okay so now we literally have cooking superpowers. Yeah whatever, I don't much care at this point, I'm just along for the ride until the end.

Also this chapter felt incredibly rushed, and it seems a common trend with this series lately. What is it, it's been canceled and the authors want to bring it to a conclusion anyway?

They haven’t confirmed it in writing but that definitely seems to be the case.

And somehow that fight and the resolution were an order of magnitude more stupid than I was predicting.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
At this point I think that it’s not only rushed but the author is also bitter about it and it’s showing

E: Erina acting weird here feels like it’s setup for something dumb (either losing from nerves because he’s got this insane bullshit or feeling bad and conflicted for this loving psychopath kidnapper) and I really don’t like it

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 25, 2019

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
If this manga was my son I would ground it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mulderman posted:

If this manga was my son I would ground it.

Like what, ground beef?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Only Subaru can defeat him by creating a super power feedback loop and making his head explode.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

With this revelation, I'm calling the ending.

Knowing that Saiba had superpowers, Joichiro lost to him on purpose at the start of this arc. When Saiba tries to access Joe's powers, it will conflict with his others and purify him.

Or maybe Soma just wins because he's the main character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

oh jay posted:

With this revelation, I'm calling the ending.

Knowing that Saiba had superpowers, Joichiro lost to him on purpose at the start of this arc. When Saiba tries to access Joe's powers, it will conflict with his others and purify him.

He’ll try to access Joe’s skills and find he’s unable to make anything that’s not totally esoteric and revolting.

Souma would be able to win by making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but will he? Hell no. This is his chance to surpass his father and show the world the one thing he’s best at:

Making lovely experimental dishes.