Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

How much dream essence do you have? If less than 1800, try fighting some nightmare bosses maybe.

Going into the temple will trigger an ending, but you're not locked out of seeing anything (you just wake up at the final bench before the boss fight in there and can continue playing). Go check out the normal ending if you like; if you wait until after clearing the colosseum, the associated boss is probably going to seem pretty underwhelming by comparison.

DLC content starts at a room behind a breakable wall in the howling cliffs for Grimm Troupe and a room behind a breakable wall in the sewers for Godmaster.

About 1100. Are nightmare bosses the ghosts that show up and can be fought after dream nailing them? I've killed two or three of those, haven't seen any others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Eschatos posted:

About 1100. Are nightmare bosses the ghosts that show up and can be fought after dream nailing them? I've killed two or three of those, haven't seen any others.

No, nightmare bosses are harder versions of regular bosses that you can fight by hitting certain boss corpses (or occasionally other things associated with them) with the dream nail. If you want to check one out, try going back to the room in the crossroads where you fought the False Knight and search the area.

There are a slew of other nightmare bosses, but you may or may not have access to them right now depending on whether you've fought their standard versions

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Those are actually just called dream bosses.

The only boss that is referred to with the term nightmare is, uh... something else entirely.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Eschatos posted:

The way to get Dream Points or whatever is

*Bang on a tree and find all the bubbles
*Kill friendly NPC ghosts (they only give like 1 or 2 though)
*Go after special ghosts (the ones that actually challenge you to a fight) These usually give you high hundreds iirc
*The Dream Refights are defeated bosses that you can beat up. If a boss left a corpse behind and it's glowing just nail it and fight the harder version. These can give you thousands of points. Like a lot of them.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The dream bosses that you fight from the corpses of defeated bosses are harder versions of those bosses, and you're required to beat one in order to get 1800 Essence (but you can circumvent this with similarly tough bosses from some DLC content)

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

There's a boss gallery in there where you can have rematches with any of the bosses. The requirement for adding a boss to the gallery is to see them for the first time, and not to beat them as you might expect. This is significant because there are some hard new bosses in Godmaster with no checkpoints in front of them, so the gallery lets you do practice runs on them easily.

Also there's a god tier secret in Godmaster. Check the roof of the second floor of the boss gallery
holy moly this secret

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

hughesta posted:

holy moly this secret

I know, right? Extremely powerful

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

Those are actually just called dream bosses.

The only boss that is referred to with the term nightmare is, uh... something else entirely.
*organ music starts*

I got absolutely destroyed by this individual.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

hughesta posted:

alright, after completing everything in the game prior to Godmaster's release I'm finally gonna tackle that DLC now. Made it to what I assume is the primary DLC area - anything I should know before walking into these challenges?

Don't worry about using the bindings. They make the game more challenging, but the meat of the boss rushes and the endings associated with them simply requires you to finish the Pantheons. Using bindings will eventually unlock the lifeblood door and give you some lifeblood for the Pantheon runs, but it's pretty much useless in all of them because of where you receive the lifeblood at. You'll inevitably get hit a few times and lose it all before the final challenge. It is nice at the very end of the fifth pantheon, but by no means necessary.

There is a lore bonus for beating beating the Pantheon with all 20 bindings, but just like that poo poo up on YouTube. It's not worth the frustration.

If you find you have a stickling point, just practice that boss in the hall of Gods. No use banging your head against them in the boss rushes and wasting time beating up on easy bosses to get in some practice.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 14, 2019

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Fuuuck, I just cannot get through the White Palace, but I am using Sharp Shadow, so I'm wondering if I'm making the one corridor with the moving spikes impossible for myself.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Don't use anything that modifies dash behavior for White Palace. Dashmaster is even more lethal in there.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Cool ill try taking it off tomorrow. Thanks bud.

minema
May 31, 2011
If it's the narrow corridor with spikes coming out the floor and ceiling in three sets then there is actually a shortcut if you can't face it any more!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

minema posted:

If it's the narrow corridor with spikes coming out the floor and ceiling in three sets then there is actually a shortcut if you can't face it any more!

There's what. Where is this?

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Flipswitch posted:

There's what. Where is this?

There's a breakable wall below the corridor.

That's the only part of White Palace I feel is more difficult than it should be. The only way I've figured out to get through the last part is a perfectly timed Crystal Dash, and I can't tell if that's what you're supposed to do or not.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
If I'm struggling with the platforming section to enter the City of Tears (the spikey corridor above the bridge) should I look for other ways in?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

There are a couple other ways in, but one is really out of the way and the other requires going through...

Deepnest.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If I'm struggling with the platforming section to enter the City of Tears (the spikey corridor above the bridge) should I look for other ways in?

I have heard of people having a lot of trouble with this, and while the platforming isn't nothing, sometimes it turns out that they don't realize they can dash away from a wall with the dash button without pushing away with the stick. If that's you, it might not be as hard as you think.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

guppy posted:

I have heard of people having a lot of trouble with this, and while the platforming isn't nothing, sometimes it turns out that they don't realize they can dash away from a wall with the dash button without pushing away with the stick. If that's you, it might not be as hard as you think.

Turns out the main problem I was having was that I was tilting hard at it and was doing the platforming equivalent of button mashing. Got it after a break.

Billy_Delicious
Sep 3, 2018
I am frustrated beyond belief by my constant ability to bounce the hell off this game. I love metroidvanias and I just don't enjoy playing it, and not a fan of the art style. Its a hard life to be sure.

I will give it a go from the start in a couple days to see if I get on better. Any tips for the start of the game at all, or does it get a bit more engrossing later on?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

SirSamVimes posted:

There are a couple other ways in, but one is really out of the way and the other requires going through...

Deepnest.

I'm one of those "recommended path? nah man" people, so I took quite an early trip through Deepnest and ended up getting to the City of Tears SUPER late. Do I regret it? A little. Was it still cool? Absolutely.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Billy_Delicious posted:

I am frustrated beyond belief by my constant ability to bounce the hell off this game. I love metroidvanias and I just don't enjoy playing it, and not a fan of the art style. Its a hard life to be sure.

I will give it a go from the start in a couple days to see if I get on better. Any tips for the start of the game at all, or does it get a bit more engrossing later on?
I didn't like the game until the Mantis Lords boss fight, and I was only totally sold on it once I got to City of Tears. If you get there and don't like it it's fair to say you gave it a shot imo. This is probably past the 2 hour return window but whatever. The first few hours there's no real context for what you're doing so it feels like it might become a tiresome story-lite Dark Souls imitator with an aesthetic that doesn't suit that but the game becomes its own thing.

If you really want to push through just follow a guide until you get to City of Tears, you can get lost in a bad way until then but then you start getting lost in a good way.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 20, 2019

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It's definitely got a very slow start. It's my biggest criticism of it.

Finally got the void heart woo

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It’s definitely a slow start but I loved it right from the get go. The atmosphere/mood alone sold me on it. It’s really cool once you realize the game is like 10 times bigger than you suspected when starting out.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

It's definitely got a very slow start. It's my biggest criticism of it.

Finally got the void heart woo

The slow intro is part of a bigger issue, imo, where the game's difficulty curve is flatter than it ought to be. HK starts out simplistic and easy and raises the difficulty level very slowly for most of its runtime, only to ramp way up in the closing act with the colosseum fights, the palace sequences etc etc. So players who want brutally difficult boss fights and Celeste tier platforming mostly only get it at the very end, while players who prefer a relatively chill, exploration-focused game where the combat isn't super stressful run into a brick wall just as they're gearing up to see the true ending.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

what do you get for beating the boss in the city of tears that's behind the locked door (with the key you buy from the merchant in town)? he seems like a harder version of another bug i already fought and he summons ghosts which are what really trip me up. anyways he's killed me more times than all the other bosses combined so far, and i'm wondering if it's worth trying to beat him or if i can skip him for now

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Freaking Crumbum posted:

what do you get for beating the boss in the city of tears that's behind the locked door (with the key you buy from the merchant in town)? he seems like a harder version of another bug i already fought and he summons ghosts which are what really trip me up. anyways he's killed me more times than all the other bosses combined so far, and i'm wondering if it's worth trying to beat him or if i can skip him for now

An upgrade to your projectile magic. It's worth it IMO but just come back later if it's giving you trouble.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

C-Euro posted:

An upgrade to your projectile magic. It's worth it IMO but just come back later if it's giving you trouble.

as is the case 100% of the time, the instant i post about something in a video game giving me trouble, i defeat the thing my very next attempt. thanks mysterious games forum genie!

went further up after that and beat the big wizard bug on my second try. it really was those loving ghosts spawning in that made the other fight so drat hard

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Decided to put off my fifth pantheon attempt by replaying the game — Steel Soul style!

Got slaughtered my first try by a gaggle of knight bugs in City of Tears, to my perpetual embarrassment. So far so good on round 2 though! About 7 hours in and about to go nab the last two dreamers and get this show on the road. Spent a lot of time getting upgrades and mask shards/pale ore. And only had to cheat with quit to menu to evade death once, to Broken Vessel :shepface:

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Billy_Delicious posted:

I loved it my first time through, but after spending a ton of time in the late game DLCs, I did notice that the early going is a little slow because you don't have many abilities. The combat really shines later in the game as you get more and more options.

But if you don't like the art style and atmosphere, it might be a tough sell. I really dug the atmosphere and sense of mystery, which hooked me.

redcheval posted:

Decided to put off my fifth pantheon attempt by replaying the game — Steel Soul style!

Got slaughtered my first try by a gaggle of knight bugs in City of Tears, to my perpetual embarrassment. So far so good on round 2 though! About 7 hours in and about to go nab the last two dreamers and get this show on the road. Spent a lot of time getting upgrades and mask shards/pale ore. And only had to cheat with quit to menu to evade death once, to Broken Vessel :shepface:

I've been thinking about giving this a try. I'd love to get all the achievements, and I only have like 10 left (plus I've already done all the pantheon related ones).

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 21, 2019

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

il serpente cosmico posted:

I loved it my first time through, but after spending a ton of time in the late game DLCs, I did notice that the early going is a little slow because you don't have many abilities. The combat really shines later in the game as you get more and more options.

i bought this when it first came out and bounced off hard. i've just tried it again the last two weeks and it's starting to grow on me, but my main issue with the game is that it's incredibly linear until you get the wall jump. i understand them wanting to gate your directional progress at first, but i feel like the wall jump should have been the first thing you get and the dash should just be an innate ability.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i bought this when it first came out and bounced off hard. i've just tried it again the last two weeks and it's starting to grow on me, but my main issue with the game is that it's incredibly linear until you get the wall jump. i understand them wanting to gate your directional progress at first, but i feel like the wall jump should have been the first thing you get and the dash should just be an innate ability.

I agree that it kind of railroads you towards the first City of Tears visit, but after that I feel like you can go pretty much anywhere and be fine.

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

Just beat the game with the godmaster ending. Goodness that's an ordeal. Each attempt at the Pantheon of Hallownest took me around an hour.

I had to practice on the Absolute Radiance boss for something like 10 hours before I could beat her with any sort of consistency.

Even then, I had to make 5 attempts at the whole pantheon before I finally made it the whole way through.
By the end of it, every boss felt slow and plodding in comparison to the PV / AR. It's a pretty stark contrast to how some of the bosses felt super hard the first time I fought them.

So anyway, game good. Looking forward to Hornet DLC.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/TeamCherryGames/status/1094873855464599552

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i'm not buying it if its as hard as the white palace/troupe stuff. not worth the frustration

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the troupe stuff isn't hard ????

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
grimm is. the pantheon is ridiculous as well, i hope their in their hardocore fervor they remember the average player

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
No chance a paid DLC is gonna be as difficult as the free, optional challenge stuff.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I would be ecstatic if it was Grimm-level difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Broken Cog posted:

No chance a paid DLC is gonna be as difficult as the free, optional challenge stuff.

yeah