Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Travic posted:

I'm still pretty early into The Long Dark. It seems like the game wants me to keep moving and not settle down anywhere. Can you get to the point where you have a home base you return to and live out of? Or is it just about staying in a new place every night?

Are you talking about survival mode or story mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

super fart shooter posted:

Are you talking about survival mode or story mode?

Survival

Pham Nuwen posted:

I usually find that I settle a lot more once I've got a weapon because now I have hides curing and a big pile of meat sitting outside my door. Up until that point I end up wandering, because once you've eaten all the canned peaches and granola bars there's not much else reason to stay in a place. Each map has a couple places that are really well-suited for a base; everywhere else is somewhere to raid for food or squat in if you're stuck in a blizzard.

Ok. I'm still very early on and haven't made a weapon yet.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Travic posted:

Survival

Ok. I'm still very early on and haven't made a weapon yet.

Sometimes I get lucky and spawn right in a building with a rifle. Sometimes I play through several areas and end up making a bow before I find a rifle. It feels like rifle ammo spawns more frequently than it used to.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

What do people do when they reach the "hunker dowm" section? Just Pass Time? I feel compelled to keep wandering around getting wood when I'm waiting for things to dry despite the fact that I am well stocked on everything I would need for several days.

Ended up biting me in the rear end because I was overzealous and didn't ensure my infection from hunting a wolf I didn't need to kill was cured before going to bed. RIP that well stocked run

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

CuddleCryptid posted:

What do people do when they reach the "hunker dowm" section? Just Pass Time? I feel compelled to keep wandering around getting wood when I'm waiting for things to dry despite the fact that I am well stocked on everything I would need for several days.

Ended up biting me in the rear end because I was overzealous and didn't ensure my infection from hunting a wolf I didn't need to kill was cured before going to bed. RIP that well stocked run
Boil water, make tea, cook meat, repair clothes, craft things like arrows, collect more wood, harvest cattails, do a day trip to locally scrounge, read a book to skillup.

Often i wake up too early, as fooling around in base doesn't drain much tiredness so things you can also do in darkness: prepare hips/shrooms, sharpen weapons, break down/harvest old clothes I save for that time.

Sometimes several days isn't enough, might as well stock what you can when you can because crafting a full set of gear is something like a week+ of time.

This is where a too easy difficulty gets you, if you don't feel on the knife's edge you may need to bump it up.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 14, 2019

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm trying to get into The Forest but goddamn if it isn't somehow the most unnerving game I've ever played. Maybe it's the way the cannibals are completely silent before they attack...or that they're so unpredictable when they do. I love all the Ewok Village stuff you can build.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
is there a good post apocalyptic survival game that isn't neo scavenger or cataclysm?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mycroft Holmes posted:

is there a good post apocalyptic survival game that isn't neo scavenger or cataclysm?

With minimal sarcasm, Fallout 4 in survival mode. Or New Vegas similarly. Gotta eat and drink on top of other stuff you do.

The upcoming Metro game maybe?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Mycroft Holmes posted:

After playing many others, I'm gonna go with no. Many games bank more on visuals than actual mechanics or are too up their own rear end to be enjoyable. I bet someone would probably include CDDA in the latter but I can't really agree, there's so many systems that you can use to your advantage and I find the dev team's obsession with realism endearing in a dorky kind of way that still ends up fun to play.

Hopefully someone will prove me wrong, though! I'd give anything for another post-apocalyptic survival game that doesn't just have superficial need meters bolted on top of it like Fallout NV/Fallout 4 (though I love NV I don't really consider it a survival game despite the devs adding some elements to it) or Subnautica, which is an excellent example of a great game but completely uninteresting survival game.

Avail
Jun 27, 2005
the internet? what the fuck is the internet?
It's barely survival imo, but I wish we had a group of rust players to jam with.

Long Dark sounds enjoyable to me, thanks for the recommendation. Maybe that will scratch my survival itch for a while.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Speedball posted:

With minimal sarcasm, Fallout 4 in survival mode. Or New Vegas similarly.

No sarcasm needed here tbh, you just need to mod them heavily.

As for the question itself, Kenshi might be of interest if a non-plot sandbox is what he's after.

e: also Dead State.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 17, 2019

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Kenshi for me, now that i've grinded the game a bit, would probably have me jack the xp/research/building rate right up. Luckily you can do this in options.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

dogstile posted:

Kenshi for me, now that i've grinded the game a bit, would probably have me jack the xp/research/building rate right up. Luckily you can do this in options.

Should I play the game with vanilla settings to get a feel for it first, before messing with the stat gain rates? I figured I'm going to die a lot during my first few runs, so I don't know if going into the game right off the bat with jacked up stat gains would be good or not?

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Qubee posted:

Should I play the game with vanilla settings to get a feel for it first, before messing with the stat gain rates? I figured I'm going to die a lot during my first few runs, so I don't know if going into the game right off the bat with jacked up stat gains would be good or not?

Haven't played it a ton but I'd start off vanilla? Kenshi is one of those games where getting the poo poo kicked out of you is most of the time better in the long run... long as you don't actually die of course.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I'd get the gate hitpoints multiplier mod at least, otherwise they are really abysmal and easy to break through.

I really like the fishing mod too.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Rimworld feels post apocalyptic even if it technically isn't.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It kinda is? The titular (randomgenned) Rimworld was once a civilized world with advanced tech but eventually fell to ruin for whatever reason. Maybe not a literal apocalypse but definitely building in the remains of those that came before.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Long Dark is more or less apocalyptic, for humanity anyway.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
If you have a tablet/phone and don't mind playing games on it, check out Day R: Survival. It's a semi-text based survival game in post-apoc Russia, and some people in the iOS/Android threads have been really enjoying it. There's a free version and a premium version that adds a few more features, but the free version is pretty fully fleshed out if you just want to try it out.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 18, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Speedball posted:

I'm trying to get into The Forest but goddamn if it isn't somehow the most unnerving game I've ever played. Maybe it's the way the cannibals are completely silent before they attack...or that they're so unpredictable when they do. I love all the Ewok Village stuff you can build.

I have been playing hard survival with a friend recently and the game got substantially easier when I finally “got” headshots with the bow. Every cannibal goes down instantly to a headshot so as long as you don’t run out of stamina and you are patient you can wait for the right moment to perforate a skull with zero real risk to you.

caveat: offer not applicable in caves.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

Long Dark is more or less apocalyptic, for humanity anyway.

The temporate climate zones are probably "fine" relatively speaking. You just had the bad luck to be caught in Northern Canada, surrounded by wolves that somehow don't freeze in conditions that see you get frostbite despite four layers of winter wear.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Qubee posted:

When starting, the only thing I changed was hunger, which I set to 2 instead of 1, because cooking is boring. Everything else was strictly vanilla.

When you do play the game, the typical gameplay loop for a new person is as such, pick wanderer, spawn in the hub. Talk to hobbs, actually seem interested in his story, give him your medikit and set hobbs to passive.

Save the game, insult a dude at the bar, get hosed up. The trick to surviving 99% of encounters in Kenshi is having someone not in combat with a medikit somewhere nearby. The other 1% is "don't go near anything that will eat you when you're down".

Then just, do whatever you want. You want to actively go out and lose fights for a bit to get your toughness up, but you can't beat anyone anyway so its mostly just running a character at nearby hungry bandits and trying to hit them. Some people do mining for a bit. Some people steal. Some people get enslaved. My current run i'm crafting in a town while making visits to the swamp to buy drugs, avoiding dangerous blood spiders and bandits.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Coolguye posted:

I have been playing hard survival with a friend recently and the game got substantially easier when I finally “got” headshots with the bow. Every cannibal goes down instantly to a headshot so as long as you don’t run out of stamina and you are patient you can wait for the right moment to perforate a skull with zero real risk to you.

oh god stay out of the caves STAY OUT OF THE CAVES i mean theres plot in there and stuff but STAY OUT

Seriously though, I liked the above ground parts and then noped the gently caress out when I went spelunking and found...things. :gonk:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

queserasera posted:

oh god stay out of the caves STAY OUT OF THE CAVES i mean theres plot in there and stuff but STAY OUT

Seriously though, I liked the above ground parts and then noped the gently caress out when I went spelunking and found...things. :gonk:

Yeah, do the later caves when you're ready to finish the game. They're not a lot of fun compared to watching a conga line of mutants run into a happy birthday trap three Stooges style.

Maybe have a quick look at the list of items and see if there's something worth doing a quick spelunk for, but in general they just eat arrows and armour in exchange for plot and food.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Whenever my friends play the forest we basically fully ignore the caves and just build a giant set of small island bases around the main island, complete with ziplines.

If we do go into caves it's literally to get something unique like the katana/flashlight/chainsaw.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Coolguye posted:

I've been getting much more into the Forest. For some reason on my "finally getting the hang of it" run I managed to not die at all for hours...which was problematic because when they knock you out they put you right in front of the only map in the game so I got pretty lost and had to put lots of stick markers everywhere.

Funniest thing I did so far was build a very big and long zipline going down a hill. I probably shouldn't have built it at night because I didn't realize that I had built its terminus at a small cliff heading into a forest, so when I went down it I built up so much momentum I went flying face-first into a tree before falling a bit. Haha.

Turns out the stuff that you can't "farm" respawns after a few days, like cloth in luggage and other modern goodies. Got the climbing axe too. Now I just have to get down into that sinkhole and finish this without dying.

How good is the stuff the 1.10 addition added, like gliders and shell rollercoasters?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, it was on sale, so I checked out "DESOLATE" on steam. It's, uh... it really wishes it was STALKER. Russian location, russian developers I believe, weird world full of mutants and spacial anomalies and hallucinations and crazy guys. It's very obviously only made by a couple of people though. While the art is okay, the animation for everything is terrible. Still. Not too bad if you can get it at a discount.

I like how there's a dedicated "throw a rock" button so you can throw a rock at an anomaly to see if it does something bad to the rock.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Bug Squash posted:

The temporate climate zones are probably "fine" relatively speaking. You just had the bad luck to be caught in Northern Canada, surrounded by wolves that somehow don't freeze in conditions that see you get frostbite despite four layers of winter wear.

Frostbite risk in The Long Dark is based entirely on whether or not you have something on in all of your body parts (head/torso/hands/legs/feet) or if those clothes are frozen. Even the shittiest gloves are better than not having anything in your gloves slot at all when you're outside.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Speedball posted:

Oh, it was on sale, so I checked out "DESOLATE" on steam. It's, uh... it really wishes it was STALKER. Russian location, russian developers I believe, weird world full of mutants and spacial anomalies and hallucinations and crazy guys. It's very obviously only made by a couple of people though. While the art is okay, the animation for everything is terrible. Still. Not too bad if you can get it at a discount.

I like how there's a dedicated "throw a rock" button so you can throw a rock at an anomaly to see if it does something bad to the rock.

I thought one of their stated goals was to be like stalker, so that sounds pretty good.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
I picked up The Forest on PS4 last week and have really been enjoying it. However I keep starting over when the mutants come out on day 7 or whatever. They always seem to show up in areas I’m getting lumber and building progress halts. I learned to manage the cannibals but the mutants take forever to kill and the next day more show up so killing them seems pointless.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Speedball posted:

How good is the stuff the 1.10 addition added, like gliders and shell rollercoasters?
the glider is amazing. i was incredibly skeptical when i got the plans and was building it, but once you get it going and are airborne it feels incredible. they basically stole the flight model wholesale from the hang glider levels in pilotwings 64 and then deleted the thermals. you'd think this means that you are doomed to always crash eventually before you get anywhere you want, but there's enough lowlands on the map that you can find a local high cliff to hop off, zigzag through the woods, and then follow the lowlands to get where you want to go about 3x faster than you otherwise would.

and that's if you don't use the relatively easy to reproduce bug that allows you to gain altitude infinitely and fly literally anywhere you want for as long as you want. my buddies and i played yesterday and the three of us were zooming around from cave to cave like paratroopers, just landing in a field, ransacking a cave, and then taking our gliders to the nearest cliff to soar into the sky for our next insertion.

i haven't used the shell rollercoasters but water collectors seem bugged again on multiplayer so i'll have to mess with them because there sure as hell isn't anything worth building with them.

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

I picked up The Forest on PS4 last week and have really been enjoying it. However I keep starting over when the mutants come out on day 7 or whatever. They always seem to show up in areas I’m getting lumber and building progress halts. I learned to manage the cannibals but the mutants take forever to kill and the next day more show up so killing them seems pointless.

overworld mutants are much slower than you and if you run into a mutant patrol it's trivial to run away just so long as you have the energy. killing them is also pretty trivial with fire arrows or bombs. i always get excited when i see one of them show up because it means i'm about to get creepy armor, personally.

that said, if you are attempting to make a large, central base then yeah they're going to be an issue because the reality of the situation is that the game's hostility/awareness setup means that a single central base is probably going to be untenable for more than a week or two. that setup is pretty much just telling the game "ok, i'd like horde mode now please." in terms of completion, the game is much more set up to have you establish smaller waystations at places you care about, with central stocks of things like bones and sticks in the houseboat if they're anywhere at all.

dogstile posted:

Whenever my friends play the forest we basically fully ignore the caves and just build a giant set of small island bases around the main island, complete with ziplines.
you should get them playing again and build everyone gliders. you no longer need the ziplines and it is glorious.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

Mutants vision is surprisingly good compared to other game's enemies. What you want to do is build your base in and out of the way spot with a convenient mini cliff to build your base against. This cuts down on how many walls you need to build, and how many patrols spot you.

My play through I set myself up on the beach with the dead sharks and crashed yacht. You get the occasional curious mutant but it's pretty sweet overall.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i still advocate instead just building the house boat for your primary repository of stuff and having smaller waystations for day to day. a waystation to me is a small cabin, a firepit, a bench, 2 drying racks, 2 deadfall traps (flanking the drying racks, more if i know the waystation is on a patrol route), and 2 birdhouses, most preferably near clear water where i can fill my pot. it requires few enough resources that you can pop it up in a few in-game hours, and at that point there is pretty much always food, water, shelter, energy replenishment, ammo resupply, and combat support available at any station. i tend to set up about one of these a day so by the time the first week is over and the mutants start showing up, i have the entire peninsula dotted with strongholds that are disposable in the unlikely event i lose one, plus a private mobile base that i can row across the map and is completely, 100% safe from every enemy ever until after the final boss.

ideal loadout for the house boat imo is 2 drying racks, 2 water collectors, 1 bed, 2 large shelves, 2 big log holders, and as many birdhouses and wall planters as you can fit on the log holders (birdhouses up top, wall planters down below). then drop a fire on the ledge just above the oar so you can cook on the roof while staying warm rowing the boat and you are in great shape.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 22, 2019

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
Thanks for the tips. With regard to losing bases do they destroy them if you’re not there?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

no - i was specifically referring to the outside chance that i could get hit with more heat than i'm able to handle while hanging out at a waystation, which could result in me losing some structures as i'm beaten into retreating. the drying racks and the house are the biggest issue because of what they contain (the racks have food, and the birdhouses are placed on the cabin).

but even then we're talking about something i set up when i saw night falling and is duplicated a half dozen other times on the peninsula. it's just not that much of a loss.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 23, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Hey! I've got an itch to go back to survival simulators, with a caveat - I'm pretty tired of the "supernatural" elements / suspension of disbelief required in most of the usually recommended games, that makes them feel like horror games rather than simulators.

Like, in The Long Dark the world is full of superwolves that don't freeze, no humans, and in a whole town you can find maybe 4 scraps of wood that will burn for 1 hour forcing you to roam all over the place to get a can of cobbled peaches or whatever making it waaay to difficult to make a stash... this all kind of takes me "out" and makes it plenty clear that I'm playing a game that puts a lot of limitations on what would be "realistic" behavior (hunker down, gather lots of supplies, make defenses, try to build up to being self sufficient) for the sake of keeping you in the intended gameplay loop (keep moving and looting, be stealthy, there's danger around every corner, you will inevitably die). At least it's how I felt about it, also the game is terribly slow. I did try it when story mode wasn't a thing though, does that change the game a lot?

The Forest has mutants and cannibals, oh my. I know there's a peaceful mode, but that's literally "build a base" mode with nothing else to do afaik. I'd have loved if that removed the mutants and maybe toned down the cannibals a bunch, making dangerous animals / illness / injury the bigger threats. Also there's really not that much to build or do besides making a base, making it clear that it's not as open ended as it seems, it wants to be a "contained" game with a plot

The Unreal World is the game that gets it all right IMO, with a great balance of fun, realism, survival stuff to do (building, hunting, crafting, cooking, trapping, bartering) and "real world" sandbox feeling - nevermind the rituals, but still they're more folklore than fantasy especially in the latest versions - but I've been playing it for 15 years now and I'm kind of tired. Is there any game that is 99% like URW ?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

TorakFade posted:

Is there any game that is 99% like URW ?
NEO scavenger?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Won't work if he doesn't like supernatural stuff. Kinda the plot of NEOScav.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I've never played it but green hell is advertised like that. Not sure of the games quality though. Afaik no supernatural elements but very hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

TorakFade posted:

in a whole town you can find maybe 4 scraps of wood that will burn for 1 hour

When I played it you could break down objects like chairs for wood pieces (although not particularly good ones), plus there's usually tons of sticks lying around outside.