Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
More or less, yeah. Focus on your faction's stuff + the main main quest. Once you complete both of those, you'll get the option to jump into the other factions' content. Which I think is a pretty good idea just for the sake of setting up a bunch of notable characters and because they're all pretty good, but there's nothing stopping you from switching over to expansion stuff at that point.

The game is gonna start you in Vvardenfell (or Summerset now I think?), but those are part of the Morrowind-Clockwork City-Summerset trilogy of DLC stories. And while they're mostly self-contained, they're also pretty long and involved and I'm not sure it's the best introduction to the game as a whole (YMMV). Also doing them out of order is obviously going to be weird. You do want to hop over to Alinor in Summerset real quick just to get certified in jewelry crafting, though.

Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood are wonky because they expect you to show up, do a story quest, then leave and grind out guild XP before coming back for another. So either you have to constantly pitstop in those areas just to pick up a single crappy repeatable quest or look forward to grinding out such exciting quests as "go steal some stuff I guess" and "go kill this random dude" over and over later on. (There's a trick for fast leveling Thieves Guild, no such thing for DB.)

Beyond that, AFAIK Orsinium and Murkmire are both standalone. The game pretends Cyrodiil has story content, but that's a lie. And I have no idea how Imperial City works but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same deal. Craglorn...exists.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

More or less, yeah. Focus on your faction's stuff + the main main quest. Once you complete both of those, you'll get the option to jump into the other factions' content. Which I think is a pretty good idea just for the sake of setting up a bunch of notable characters and because they're all pretty good, but there's nothing stopping you from switching over to expansion stuff at that point.

I don't think you need to complete the main quest or your original faction first before doing the others. Maybe this was the case when the game first came out? I've been jumping around to random quests and areas since I started pretty much. I don't necessarily recommend doing this though, I ended up with like one or two quests in a bunch of different zones and kept losing track of whatever the story was. It probably makes more sense to just focus on one zone at a time, but it's up to you which one.

I've finally decided to finish up the DC stuff after taking a long detour through Auridon and Orsinium. Mostly so I can free up my quest log a little bit. I still haven't gotten Morrowind or Summerset but I noticed the Humble store has them on sale so I'll probably pick them up.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

this https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Story_Quests is a general help for order of doing things in

but basically faction MQ is best to do in order

Morrowind can be done any time but preferably before Clockwork City

Thieves Guild/Dark Brotherhood/Orsinium/Craglorn/Murkmire can be done any time

Summerset is probably best done last after Clockwork City

this is just for everything making "sense" and catching all the variant plot beats, you can of course do them in any order most the DLC/Chapter stuff at least tries to take into account sequence breaking but the launch vanilla stuff is not great at this

i'd recommend picking a faction and doing it in its intended order (morrowind can be done before/during/after this) then once both are done doing clockwork city then summerset, with the above any time DLCs sprinkled in as you see fit. Doing all three factions isn't really required for all the story beats but it does introduce you to a lot more characters that show up in the DLCs/Chapters

edit: Imperial City DLCs storyline has some cool dragonfires/founding of the blades lore but is also kind of a pain in the rear end to do solo depending on your skill level, but its not really required to get the gist of any of the other story beats going on

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 20, 2019

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ugh I want to play now but I also want to play a necromancer, which is why I waited last time because I wanted to play a warden, which is why I waited last because...

I've bought every expansion and don't have a single character >15

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Mizuti posted:

What was Eric Wrobel responsible for?

All the bad things in life.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

JadaX posted:

Combat design.

Was this guy the ESO equivalent of WoW's Ghostcrawler?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Scyantific posted:

Took me long enough to get this :laffo:

Wow congratulations Scyantic!

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I think it'll be a while before I get that achievement considering I can barely break 1000 points in battlegrounds.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I don't think you need to complete the main quest or your original faction first before doing the others.

You can basically do any quest in any zone at any time, but there is still a system in place to officially introduce a new faction storyline once you complete one faction and the main story. If you just manually travel to the starter zone and start talking to NPC's, you can basically do the same stuff, but you don't get the little intro quest to kick off the story.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I will say if you're just starting out and want to go through some story content with a friend, Murkmire would probably be great for that. I steamrolled it like 95% of the other single player content at max level, but it's actually somewhat challenging to navigate, they really put forth some effort to give the bosses unique mechanics, and I think there's only one instanced part (the Dreaming Nest) in the whole storyline. Plus you might get lucky and get a Scuttlebloom or Murkmire furniture plan to drop, and you can make a lot of money off those, especially for the early game. I'd say it's the best DLC chapter except for maybe Dark Brotherhood, which I'm not a fan of only because I don't really like playing a stealthy assassin in anything.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 21, 2019

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Turtlicious posted:

Ugh I want to play now but I also want to play a necromancer, which is why I waited last time because I wanted to play a warden, which is why I waited last because...

I've bought every expansion and don't have a single character >15

same. lets play summerset together and figure this game out, because im reinstalling now as ive had the mmo urge lately and i think im gonna start a new character(doesnt really matter, i have no characters above like level 10 or 20). also, how active is the goon guild nowadays?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

You can basically do any quest in any zone at any time, but there is still a system in place to officially introduce a new faction storyline once you complete one faction and the main story. If you just manually travel to the starter zone and start talking to NPC's, you can basically do the same stuff, but you don't get the little intro quest to kick off the story.

Plus you get a little quest tracker breaking down the broad strokes of each faction questline. I think it's basically just "do MQ for <zone>, repeat" but if you're getting confused about what you're supposed to be doing and in what general order, there you go. And you get some bonus goodies for doing it!

Oh, also for whatever reason nothing really points you to the old tutorial areas anymore, not even as part of the aforementioned post-game thing. They lead right into the faction stuff and have some fun bits so don't forget about Khenarthi's Roost/Stros M'Kai + Betnikh/Bleakrock Isle + Bal Foyen.

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

also, how active is the goon guild nowadays?

We're not dead yet! We even crowned two three (2 3) emperors recently :agesilaus:

We seem to have the most activity during PST evenings. Feel free to hit me up in guild chat for training gear, @Count_VonCount.

e: vvv whoops I knew about you and Floob, who's the 3rd? Also please tell me you all are wearing the most garishly-recolored emp costumes.

count_von_count fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 21, 2019

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

3, ya nerd

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

John Murdoch posted:

Plus you get a little quest tracker breaking down the broad strokes of each faction questline. I think it's basically just "do MQ for <zone>, repeat" but if you're getting confused about what you're supposed to be doing and in what general order, there you go. And you get some bonus goodies for doing it!

Oh, also for whatever reason nothing really points you to the old tutorial areas anymore, not even as part of the aforementioned post-game thing. They lead right into the faction stuff and have some fun bits so don't forget about Khenarthi's Roost/Stros M'Kai + Betnikh/Bleakrock Isle + Bal Foyen.

The starter zones are still a thing... You get spit out at your faction's newbie island after running through the main quest Coldharbour intro, then you get sent to the other two for the Cadwell's silver/gold thing.

zjentohlauedy
Feb 27, 2006

Bad sportsmanship. A ruthless minority of people seem to have forgotten good old-fashioned virtues. They just can't stand seeing the other fellow w

count_von_count posted:

We're not dead yet! We even crowned two three (2 3) emperors recently :agesilaus:

We seem to have the most activity during PST evenings. Feel free to hit me up in guild chat for training gear, @Count_VonCount.

e: vvv whoops I knew about you and Floob, who's the 3rd? Also please tell me you all are wearing the most garishly-recolored emp costumes.

Dori

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I was the first, Dori got his Saturday, and Floob got his Sunday night after some trouble with the previous dude. Too bad sluggo is afk otherwise I would have 100% pushed him for emp too.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

How is class “balance” nowadays as far as endgame goes? I know it doesn’t matter 99% of the time but if i end up doing trials and stuff, would dragon knight be a decent choice?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

If you want to tank, yeah. Otherwise it's nightblade for dps, templar/sorc for healing, warden/dragonknight for tanking.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

The starter zones are still a thing... You get spit out at your faction's newbie island after running through the main quest Coldharbour intro, then you get sent to the other two for the Cadwell's silver/gold thing.

Either there's a massive hole in my memory or that didn't happen for me. I remember having to look up what the deal was with those zones.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Once the servers are back up, can somebody please invite @skeleton_warz to the guilds? I'm attempting to be a magicka nightblade, so we'll see how that goes :v:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Magblade is real good, it's got an easy skill floor, but a really high skill celling, so I hope you like it.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

Either there's a massive hole in my memory or that didn't happen for me. I remember having to look up what the deal was with those zones.

Yeah they changed it shortly after release, people were complaining initially that the starter islands were too small and it didn't feel like a big open world Elder Scrolls game. So they dropped you on the main continent with a breadcrumb quest to take you to the starter island. It was kind of a crappy solution before One Tamriel now that you can go anywhere at any level it makes more sense.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Bob NewSCART posted:

How is class “balance” nowadays as far as endgame goes? I know it doesn’t matter 99% of the time but if i end up doing trials and stuff, would dragon knight be a decent choice?

If you're a mag DK, I have bad news for you. OTOH, if you're a stam DK I have great news for you because they have excellent single target using either Venomous Claw or Rending Slashes as a spammable (low cost as gently caress) and decent AOE to help tear through trash.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I wanted to clarify that you're probably fine with any class, any race, any role, for everything besides vet trials and vet maelstrom arena, which is the very high end of endgame content. As someone who primarily plays DPS Argonian mag DK and magsorc, I don't feel underpowered in vet DLC dungeons or normal trials.

If you end up being one of the small minority of players who doesn't enjoy nightblade, don't feel like you have to play nightblade.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Scyantific posted:

If you want to tank, yeah. Otherwise it's nightblade for dps, templar/sorc for healing, warden/dragonknight for tanking.

Is it not possible to do DPS as say a dragonknight or Warden? Or is it just suboptimal?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

CuddlyZombie posted:

Is it not possible to do DPS as say a dragonknight or Warden? Or is it just suboptimal?

It's 'bad' in the same way that you can 'pick the wrong race', it only really, actually, truly matters at the bleeding edge of endgame content.

If you can live with being a few % off doing optimal DPS at all times you're fine

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

This is true by very small margins now, too. Nightblades aren't QUITE as ridiculously OP as they were, say, 2 patches ago. Also, if you're talking about trials, you need more than just Nightblades to make things work. Other classes have buffs and debuffs they provide as well, not to mention the fact that, generally, Nightblades have poo poo AOE in standard raid setups. DK have great AOE, Templars and Sorcs have God-Tier AOE and Wardens, for the few that play them in a DPS spec, are pretty solid at trash clearning, too.

CuddlyZombie posted:

Both of these classes as stamina specs are strong right now. In fact, as of last patch, stam Wardens are really, really strong but most people don't play them since they were hot garbage for so long and have a kinda weird rotation to get used to. Stam DKs are kinda same as they've ever been with ok-ish AOE and excellent single target with really high sustain.

Unfortunately, both these classes suffer really badly as magicka specs right now in trial content for a big honkin' variety of reasons.

Note that I'm addressing all this as Bob Newscart mentioned engame trial content. If your DK is rockin' DW/Bow with the standard stuff, you have no worries, my dude. Just swap in Steel Tornado or Shrouded Dagger on trash fights and you'll be doing plenty well.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Magmarashi posted:

It's 'bad' in the same way that you can 'pick the wrong race', it only really, actually, truly matters at the bleeding edge of endgame content.

If you can live with being a few % off doing optimal DPS at all times you're fine

I've never actually understood this term, and it's always scared me off.

Is the Bleeding Edge Finishing end game content? Or like finishing it in 5 minutes compared to 8 or what?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Meaning it is the hardest endgame content, on hard mode, that you don't have to do on hard mode if you don't want to.

There are some cool skins, personalities, and titles locked behind it, some very good but nonessential weapons (from vet maelstrom arena, which is solo content that doesn't favor the exact same builds as vet trials anyway), and a better chance of getting the same good drops you can get on normal. That's basically it.

Edit: There's enough cool stuff to do that I haven't touched vet trials in the >2 years I've been playing this game, and I don't feel left out. Conquering harder versions of dungeons that require 12 people with optimal builds, playing optimally, is not something I would want to do even if I could, because poo poo like that isn't fun at all to me. If you do not want to do this exact thing, you're not even going to encounter a situation where your specific race and class choices matter more than skilled play.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 23, 2019

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just want to PvP but where I click someone and a horde of a small animals run out to nibble at it's ankles making the model unable to move so i can spam dance emotes at them.

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

I just want to PvP but where I click someone and a horde of a small animals run out to nibble at it's ankles making the model unable to move so i can spam dance emotes at them.

Dunno about a whole horde of small animals, but sorcs have group and single-target cc to provide you with a captive audience and shields to cover your performance. Then you can bolt escape away while cackling.

Scyantific posted:

Just curious, is magsorc considered more of a healing class than dps these days? Or at least not as good at dps as magblade?

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Honestly, and Ice Blockade warden would be your best bet here. poo poo is extreme cancer in the current meta because of the snares they put out. If you want a zoo, though, magsorc is still your go-to.

Meryen
Jul 17, 2014
Hey, I'm on US and just started playing. Does a nice goon want to send me a guild invite? @Meryen

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Meryen posted:

Hey, I'm on US and just started playing. Does a nice goon want to send me a guild invite? @Meryen

Invite sent.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
So ive been eyeballing the Spell Strategist set but not doing anything about it due to the ludicrous prices of some of the items. I only looked at slots where i did not have Julianos, which meant i saw Spell Strategist prices for weapons and jewellery.

Anyways, i discovered that Julianos also exists in a bunch of slots AND that if you use 2 of the same ring it counts twice for set bonuses, which means that i can use Spell Strategist Helm, shoulder, waist, gloves, boots which are really cheap slots, and Julianos chest, legs, necklace, ring, ring, AND Maelstrom Staff and get both the 5 piece bonuses.

I am looking to increase my damage output in general, but am not interested in "proc" sets as i have always hated that mechanic. I want a continuous good bonus, not a occasional big one (which will never line up with solo questing enemy health bars anyways)

Would 5 piece Julianos and 5 piece Spell Strategist be good? Are there other sets that are better? (That would be in the same ballpark of effort to acquire)

I realise the Maelstrom weapons are hard to get so that will be my long term goal.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I'd say plan on keeping your head + shoulders slots reserved for a suitable monster set and run only 3 pieces of Julianos. I realize you may not be able to afford Spell Strategist if you do this, in which case I'd do 5 pieces Julianos and 3 pieces (purple jewelry, unless you already have that in Julianos) in an inexpensive substitute set like Bloodthorn's Touch until you can afford your full set of Spell Strategist.

If you're not interested in monster sets because you don't like procs, I'd still strongly consider Slimecraw. Also there are various trial sets that grant Minor Slayer from the 3-piece bonus, and you might want to consider figuring one of those into your future plans.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 24, 2019

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
These people who get the mats while you're disposing of the mobs that are guarding them ought to bally well learn some manners. :colbert:

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
On the US server, would anyone mind sending me an invite? @bringo322

Thanks in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

They finally brought back the Storm Atronach crates... I've been waiting since I first started playing, they had all the good poo poo in those packs. I'm buying an obscene number of them!