Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
In my last playthrough as I got toward the end, I built my forward base in the tree cove like usual. But this time the scanner room picked up something kinda odd. (Image linked just in case. Nothing spoilery in it, but it is a scan of an endgame area.)

I stuffed four chips in the scanner and this odd box showed up underneath the world geometry, behind the blue waterfall that leads down to the ILZ. It doesn't line up with anything else down there, as it's in entirely the wrong spot. Has anyone else seen this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I believe there's a secret lab in that location. (bring the orange tablet)

Spoilers: http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Alien_Cache

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

TheParadigm posted:

I believe there's a secret lab in that location. (bring the orange tablet)

Spoilers: http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Alien_Cache

I found this in my first game, didn't have the right tablet, and promptly lost it forever.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Started playing the other day.

Hmm, I think it's time to relocate from my first base under the lifepod made entirely of X-sections to a new one now that I have proper rooms.

Oh dear, decisions decisions.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

MikeJF posted:

Started playing the other day.

Hmm, I think it's time to relocate from my first base under the lifepod made entirely of X-sections to a new one now that I have proper rooms.

Oh dear, decisions decisions.

Why not have both?

Keep the old base, AND build a new one. And another. And two more.

Then connect them all together.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah I'll leave the old base there but I'm still pretty scarce on resources so I'll want to have a home where I keep the expensive things and all my materials junk and also have my precious battery charger hooked up.

I'm not made of copper damnit.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Yeah I'll leave the old base there but I'm still pretty scarce on resources so I'll want to have a home where I keep the expensive things and all my materials junk and also have my precious battery charger hooked up.

I'm not made of copper damnit.

Do you have a scanner room yet?

Check out the upgrades in it. Speed is useless, you don't really need more drones unless you like giving them to Stalkers as toys, but the two others are interesting.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I have, but I haven't seen any magnetite yet.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

MikeJF posted:

I have, but I haven't seen any magnetite yet.

Look for deep caves close to the shallows, or far south/north. Magnetite starts at about 250m down.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
You can also find them on the Jelly cave floors.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Look for deep caves close to the shallows, or far south/north. Magnetite starts at about 250m down.

I built a little scanner station in the southwest and that gave me a whole lot, thanks.

EDIT: and then I can brush over the scanner station with the habitat builder accidentally and all four mods vanish.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jan 21, 2019

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You know, i'm at "end game" of subnautica and its been about a month since I touched it.

Getting saddled with a fetch quest after all that just seems really awful. I'll probably spawn in the resources and finish it later, but what a disappointment.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

dogstile posted:

You know, i'm at "end game" of subnautica and its been about a month since I touched it.

Getting saddled with a fetch quest after all that just seems really awful. I'll probably spawn in the resources and finish it later, but what a disappointment.

The worst thing is that it's two fetch quests one after the other. I suppose the idea is that you use the portals for the first and the second your supposed to retrieve the rocket blueprints from the Aurora early and slowly chip at it as you go, but in practice everybody forgets it exists until you're done with the rest of the game.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don't mind building the rocket since you are most likely doing it at the very end, so you most likely have lockers full of materials to build with, and can get what you are missing quite easy. What I didn't like about gathering materials to wake up the eggs is that it required uncommon materials that I couldn't remember where to find, so I just spawned them in instead of spending 30 minutes looking for them.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
On that note, I'm so glad that alt tabbing now generally works in games across the board. I don't know if it's a driver thing or a wrapper thing but I remember growing up there were periods where games just wouldn't consider the idea that you might want to alt tab. Now I can hit the menu, alt tab, and look up whatever it is I need - sometimes watching a bunch of related videos if I'm confused as balls - and then go back into the game, and I wouldn't have seen even a fraction of it if I didn't have those resources

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

At the very end I somehow missed that you can power on the gate down there, which is the trigger to get the cure formula from the Emperor. I thought I was supposed to do something with the peepers that move around the vents and I spent like 2 hours farting around with them in various ways making no progress at all. :doh: Once I figured out it was just a fetch quest I did it in like 10 minutes.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Oasx posted:

I don't mind building the rocket since you are most likely doing it at the very end, so you most likely have lockers full of materials to build with, and can get what you are missing quite easy. What I didn't like about gathering materials to wake up the eggs is that it required uncommon materials that I couldn't remember where to find, so I just spawned them in instead of spending 30 minutes looking for them.

There are plenty of gates in that area that will take you straight to where you find the things. So as far as fetch quests go, it could be sooo much worse.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Sulla Faex posted:

On that note, I'm so glad that alt tabbing now generally works in games across the board. I don't know if it's a driver thing or a wrapper thing but I remember growing up there were periods where games just wouldn't consider the idea that you might want to alt tab. Now I can hit the menu, alt tab, and look up whatever it is I need - sometimes watching a bunch of related videos if I'm confused as balls - and then go back into the game, and I wouldn't have seen even a fraction of it if I didn't have those resources

It was in Win7 (iirc) when they stopped letting programs access the kernal directly. UAC was annoying as gently caress but at least it got programmers in-line.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It was in Win7 (iirc) when they stopped letting programs access the kernal directly. UAC was annoying as gently caress but at least it got programmers in-line.

The last time programs could directly mess with kernel-level stuff was Windows Me due to the DOS heritage of that generation. NT has always limited that level of access to drivers. Of course up through XP users had local admin by default and thus user-level programs could install a driver that let them do whatever they wanted, and many did exactly that.

Vista and beyond changed the privilege model so that even users that have the ability to escalate to administrator level are running as limited users by default. Programs only gain the enhanced privileges after either explicitly requesting escalation or by triggering certain heuristics that make the OS assume they will need it. In either case, this is when you see a UAC prompt.

Vista was a bit too aggressive about its heuristics and locked down a few settings that probably shouldn't have been, which resulted in even users of well behaved software seeing far more prompts than they probably should have. Vista SP1 toned this back, but most people didn't actually see the changes until Windows 7 because Vista already had a bad reputation for reasons that were mostly not actually its own fault.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
One of the devs is playtesting Below Zero right now: https://www.twitch.tv/unknownworlds_klegran

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Getting the materials for the eggs is easy? They give you portals that lead directly to their biomes.

It was neat not knowing where any given portal would spit me out. But I always kept beacons so the little doorway into the biome wouldn’t get misplaced.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I wish Below Zero didn’t have an early access phase so we could just go into it blind with everything available. I didn’t like Subnautica’s piecemeal feeding of the campaign.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yeah I'm desperate for more Subnautica but I'm not touching this until it's final.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Zesty posted:

I wish Below Zero didn’t have an early access phase so we could just go into it blind with everything available. I didn’t like Subnautica’s piecemeal feeding of the campaign.

Just...wait to play it until it's finished?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

boar guy posted:

Just...wait to play it until it's finished?

This.

Also don't look at any maps or such. I wish I had never done it for the original.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jeeves posted:

Also don't look at any maps or such. I wish I had never done it for the original.

I'll be honest, I cheated to look up the location of the battery charger fragments and it was one hundred percent worth it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The final fetch quests, like many things in Subnautica, is a case of "But it's so easy! (because I know exactly where it was and how to get it already)"

On that note, I can understand being tripped up by the zero effort trip for the rocket blueprints due to gameplay flow and trigger flags your first time through. If you don't build a radio in your Cyclops or deep depth outposts you can end up blissfully unaware you have a message with the door code waiting for half the game where the sight of sunlight is a distant memory, by the time you are ready to leave.

Hell, a replay often involves AVOIDING the triggers for the door code message as long as possible. 5 days after the sunbeam arrives. And entering disease research, which you can skip and still beat the game

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 22, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hey, can I pop over to the island and deconstruct the Degrassi bases for precious glass?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Hey, can I pop over to the island and deconstruct the Degrassi bases for precious glass?

negative

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

What happens if you deactivate the gun before Sunbeam arrives? Pretty sure it's been said before, but I can't remember.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Dunno-Lars posted:

What happens if you deactivate the gun before Sunbeam arrives? Pretty sure it's been said before, but I can't remember.

They radio in that they can't get through the debris field and so never try and land

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Rynoto posted:

They radio in that they can't get through the debris field and so never try and land

Unless the flag bugs out and the 'unpowered' gun still blows the Sunbeam out of the sky.

I have a feeling the rocket was originally designed to be unlocked relatively early and function as a mini base. The first few stages take very common materials and have a lot of excess space, built in lockers, and the like that'd make it convenient for storage if you probably weren't already planning on getting the hell out ASAP when you actually get around to building it.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Drake_263 posted:

Unless the flag bugs out and the 'unpowered' gun still blows the Sunbeam out of the sky.

I have a feeling the rocket was originally designed to be unlocked relatively early and function as a mini base. The first few stages take very common materials and have a lot of excess space, built in lockers, and the like that'd make it convenient for storage if you probably weren't already planning on getting the hell out ASAP when you actually get around to building it.

I think it's more of a post credits afterthought by the devs. The main story revolves around your struggles to save the planet and everything living on it. Your arrival and exit are merely vehicles to support your presence in that spot.

That's why there's no real threat when building the rocket is because the main storyline is over. They should have just inserted a Precursor ship for you to escape in, instead of the awkward "Well I'm fully decked out and nothings a threat anymore" ending we received.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Does Seamoth sonar attract mobs?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Dunno, but the light sure as hell does.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WarpedNaba posted:

Dunno, but the light sure as hell does.

That's why I'm wondering, I wanna explore the depth without light for safety.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I'm pretty sure it annoys reapers, but I may be mistaken.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I'm not sure if it mechanically represented in the game but when I'm in reaper territory and I pulse sonar they always counter-roar back at me. I've always assumed it attracted them.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Drake_263 posted:

I'm pretty sure it annoys reapers, but I may be mistaken.

they roar in response if you're within visual range, but the light is what really gets them mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Ghost Leviathans are scared away if you flash the Cyclops' spotlight in their face! :eng101: